carat
color
clarity

Yesterday's surgery went well

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am grateful for all your good wishes and prayers

I'm posting from my private hospital bed with a lovely view.
They have WiFi so I brought my laptop.
They must pay well since I've seen several honking diamonds on nurses here.

Yesterday they put me under 7 AM and woke up at 1 PM.

Post-op they started me out on Morphine, which proved ineffective so they changed it to Dilaudid, aka Hydromorphone.

Here is a snip from Wiki:
Hydromorphone is used to relieve moderate to severe pain and severe, painful dry coughing. Hydromorphone is becoming more popular in the treatment of chronic pain in many countries, including the United States. Hydromorphone displays superior solubility and speed of onset, a less troublesome side effect profile, and lower dependence liability as compared to morphine and diamorphine. It is thought to be 3–4 times stronger than morphine, but with a lower risk of dependency.

Hydromorphone is, therefore, preferred over morphine in many areas ranging from the ongoing treatment of chronic pain syndromes, the emergency department to the operating suite. Hydromorphone lacks the toxic metabolites (e.g., norpethidine) of many opioids related to pethidine and some of the methadone and tends to cause less nausea than morphine. It is a common alternative for those tending to have hallucinations from fentanyl administered through dermal patches and other dosage forms.
In addition to the above, hydromorphone usually proves to be the best alternative of choice to morphine and fentanyl in severe chronic pain, especially for severe breakthrough pain.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad it went well, here is to a smooth and fast recovery.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I hope that means the pain is under control!

I'm so glad the surgery went well. Continuing to send healing thoughts your way.....

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny - I'm so glad surgery went well! I kept checking in yesterday for some reason. Maybe I hoped your SO would pop on or something lol. I'm also glad they have you on a newer more effective and less addictive pain medication. My father had surgery years ago and was on pain medication and we had such a hard time weaning him back off. He made it though, but I always wait to hear they've found something better and I'm glad you are getting to use something new! Awesome that they have wifi b/c I'd be BORED sitting in there. Keep us posted, I'll be thinking of you!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I'm glad your surgery went well. Lots of healing dust to you my friend.

~LC

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear it went well Kenny! Lots of safe, fast healing prayers :appl:

Also glad to hear they are working with you to keep your pain under control. My DH had a knee surgery many years ago, and apparently since he was under a certain age the hospital had some sort of quantity cap on various drugs including the morphine. Which given his size/build/sensitivity to pain didn't do a great job even maxed out, and they were apparently overly hesitant to try other combinations :sick:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Glad everything went well, Kenny!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting, Kenny. I've been thinking of you. Glad the surgery went well.

Sending you truckloads of PS dust for a speedy recovery.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Sending prayers for a very speedy recovery.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yay, Kenny -- so glad to hear it went well & the pain is under control. Have been thinking of you & hoping to hear. Find good stuff on your laptop to keep yourself occupied. And get home soon!

Big hugs,
-- Laurie

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Rest well, Kenny! *healing dust*

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear from you and know that all went well. Rest and heal!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad everything went well Kenny, I've been thinking about you. Hoping for a quick recovery, will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear it went well. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kenny glad to hear it went well! we are all thinking about you and your FCDs :)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting an update! I had been wondering how you were doing. Prayers for a speedy recovery. And thanks for keeping a lookout for the diamonds there, lol.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear that everything went well. I hope you have a speedy recovery, and good to know that they're making sure you're in as little pain as possible.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad it went well!!
Get well quick!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats good news Kenny...keep on recovering!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, glad your surgery went well...hope you have a quick recovery!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I'm glad your surgery went well... :appl: :appl: Prayers for a speedy recovery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Kenny! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I had to chuckle when I read the bit about you noticing honking diamonds on nurses' hands ... that's our kenny. :wink2:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear the surgery went well, Kenny. I have my fingers crossed for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I am so very glad all went well! Prayers and thoughts of you and a very very speedy recovery and healing!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Good news! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic news, kenny! As you can see by the number of posts, you had many PS people wishing you well. :appl:

Rest and recover; we're all cheering you on. :wavey:

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
We are, indeed, cheering you on. Good luck to you and rest up well and positive.
Abi

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1317736610|3032852 said:
They must pay well since I've seen several honking diamonds on nurses here.
i nominate kenny as pricescoper of the year for observations skills even under moments of duress. :appl:

as an encore i next i expect him to convert these nurses to the joys of FCD's!!!!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get well soon Kenny.

Somehow I found it funny you posted a description of the pain medication you are on. I hope it gives you a good buzz! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results