shape
carat
color
clarity

Yesterday was a sad day....

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
So, I had been so excited to get several pieces of jewelry back yesterday. I took these pieces to a diamond place close by because I was feeling impatient to have them back and it is where my husband bought my ER. I had my ER re-set, I had an unheated tanzi and a purple/pink mogok spinel set in mountings I had already owned (just new heads). I paid to have all 3 pieces appraised for insurance.

So, I get there and here's what I found:

My ER mounting looked great for the most part - it was just what I wanted except: the prongs are all uneven (some larger than others) and not claw shaped like I asked for. The 2 side diamonds they added (1 ct each) match except one has a large frosty white girdle and the other does not. They were supposed to be GIA graded stones, but no GIA cert was included. Should the girdle issue bother me? My center stone matches the diamond without the thick girdle. It isn't too thin, but not thick enough to stand out. The thick girdle is the one on the right in my profile shot of my ring.

My tanzi ring was set in a YELLOW gold head (I hate yellow gold) in my white gold mounting and the person who set it polished the heck out of the top of it so the facets around the table are all rounded like a hill and not sharp and clean like they used to be. And, no appraisal. (I asked for white gold)

The worst of all: my spinel was chipped in 2 places from setting. It was a perfect stone when I took it in - eye clean! The guy tried to convince me that sometimes "amethysts" like that have surface reaching inclusions. When I told him 1) it wasn't an amethyst and 2) I had closely inspected the stone before bringing it to them and it had no "inclusions" aka chips from setting and I had photographic evidence of that he started talking about sending it to his "lapidary" to be fixed. Oh and no appraisal.

I took my ER and my tanzi with me because I just wanted them back. They still have the spinel. I want the GIA certs for my new diamonds and I want to address the girdle issue. I want the head changed in my tanzi ring, but I am so afraid they'll chip that soft stone too. I want my spinel to be fixed like it was when I brought it in. I posted photos of my projects to give you an idea. I am just plain SAD! :cry:

_3755.jpg

_3756.jpg

_3757.jpg

_3758.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Enerchi. I will read it. I appreciate the encouragement. I just want everything fixed. I was so happy to get all of this done and I feel so let down. You know?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh, I *SO* know what you are going thru!! I actually just re read my own thread above... wow ... what a tool my guy was! I am not one who normally speaks up for herself but PS helped me stand up and get thru this --- we are here for YOU TOO!! So just know that you CAN get resolution but you have to calmly work for it.

I'm wishing you strength to get thru this--- and you will!! Hey - if wimpy me can do it, anyone can do it!

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
And the hits just keep on coming....

I just received a Fed Ex package from NY with a new Imperial Topaz I had set in an existing setting with a smaller Imperial Topaz. I paid mucho for this upgrade. I was assured the cut was "as good as it gets with NO window". And in case you are wondering, that is a hot cocoa label you can read straight through the top of the stone. For crying out loud. I am running out of tears...

Thoughts???

_3763.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, most B&M stores know little to nothing about coloured gemstones. If lucky, the bench can handle sapphires. The key is to check out their coloured stone work before commissioning any of yours. Even the diamonds must be okayed by you together with the GIA report prior to starting the work. Everything must be documented clearly and in detail before the work. I am sorry about what happened but most jewellers will not accept responsibility for chipping your stones during the setting process.

What's done is done. Are you willing to work with the jeweller to make it right or are you done with them? Since they screwed up so badly, I would not have the confidence that they can fix things to your satisfaction.

ETA
You can return the new stone for a full refund, right?

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Return which stone for a full refund? The Imp Topaz???

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. As for the other ones, see if you can get your money back too.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I can get a refund for the imp topaz I think. But now my original ring went from this (see photo) to what I just showed you. What do I do about that issue??? Is there any cut work that can be done to fix the large Imp Topaz???

_3764.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that you did not ask for advice prior because all this is easily avoidable. NEVER custom work anything before seeing the stone. If it is a shallow stone, there's nothing a lapidary can do. To close the window, it needs depth to work with, else you'll end up with a much smaller stone that won't fit the setting anyway. The window is so large that I doubt even the most creative setting can make it less obvious.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
I actually asked for advice and got it from a PS member, but unfortunately, I ignored it because the vendor (recommended by PS by the way and on the list of "reputable CS vendors") assured me there was no window. Now I feel like a huge sucker! I am not planning to reveal the vendor name unless he doesn't make this right. Then I will issue a warning unless that isn't permitted. I don't want to break any rules, but I hope other newbies can learn from my mistakes and you seasoned folks can know how this vendor treats people.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you need to be aware of is that the thread at the top of this part of the forum is NOT a recommended list. It's a just a thread containing a list of vendors that many of us have gone to at some point or another. There are vendors on that list that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole (from my experience with them). Everybody had a say in who went on there to make it fair and also, I may not like a vendor because of something that happened with me but others may have had great experiences with them so they all went into the thread with one or two exceptions that we all agreed to leave out!!!! So you shouldn't rely on the list as meaning you'll get good quality.

In terms of your rings - I can't see the diamond issue clearly enough but didn't you see the stones before they set them? If not (and this is easy to say in hindsight) why not? Never ever trust a vendor/jeweller to give you what they say they're going to UNLESS you have years of history with them. Trust yourself - it's your money.

You've shown a bunch of rings and I'm not sure which is which. Do you mean your elongated topaz is now the square one? I'm a bit confused if that's the case because didn't you take the stones to them to be set? Did they source and set them for you without you seeing them? Sorry if I'm being thick but I just can't work out from the photos what has happened.

For the imperial topaz with the window - just send it back and get your money back. It's fine to "out" the vendor IF you are absolutely positive that you were very clear (and perhaps have it in writing) what you told them you wanted. Again though, didn't you see photos beforehand? Windows that size can't be masked. Having said that, your photo is not straight on and I'm guessing what we're seeing is a tilt window (common in light coloured gemstones and especially with this cut). Can you take a photo head on absolutely straight on to the table. It would be embarrasing to out the vendor and then find it's a tilt window :oops:

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
LD,

Is this photo better? I went from the smaller rectangular (well cut) imp topaz to the large one you see below. Here is a direct quote from the vendor when I asked him about the possible window. My question was very clear, as was his response. I have emailed him this morning asking why he told me there was no window. I am waiting for his response and won't name him until I get answers. I am an honest person and I don't want to sully anyone's name unnecessarily, so tell me what you think??? And, btw, I hear you on the list of CS vendors AND on seeing stones in person FIRST. Lesson painfully learned. Not everyone is as honest as I am. :(

"Hi Amy,
Pictures can be deceiving. The photo was taken on an angle thus giving the appearance of a window, but I can assure you that there is none. My craftsman is working on the ring as we speak.."

_3765.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vickygigi|1361034209|3381709 said:
LD,

Is this photo better? I went from the smaller rectangular (well cut) imp topaz to the large one you see below. Here is a direct quote from the vendor when I asked him about the possible window. My question was very clear, as was his response. I have emailed him this morning asking why he told me there was no window. I am waiting for his response and won't name him until I get answers. I am an honest person and I don't want to sully anyone's name unnecessarily, so tell me what you think??? And, btw, I hear you on the list of CS vendors AND on seeing stones in person FIRST. Lesson painfully learned. Not everyone is as honest as I am. :(

"Hi Amy,
Pictures can be deceiving. The photo was taken on an angle thus giving the appearance of a window, but I can assure you that there is none. My craftsman is working on the ring as we speak.."

So you had seen a photo and assumed there was a window so asked about it? Mmmmmm not good. Now then having said that, I know I'm being a PITA but your photo is still at a very very slight angle - if you look at it, you can see the ring is ever so slightly tilted to the right. The window has now closed up on the left but is still apparent on the right. I have a horrible suspicion that this is a large tilt window exacerbated by the cut (not many facets on each side) and the paleness of the gem. Having said that, I wouldn't want a gem where you have to view it perfectly straight on not to see a tilt window. A small tilt window is expected in many gemstones but one this obvious would rule it out for me.

Sorry to hear that you've been burned by all of the above. As you say it's a tough way to learn a lesson. Please please please make sure you see stones before parting with money OR there's a good returns policy. Sometimes it's not about honesty, many vendors sometimes don't see things as collectors do. They're not as fussy as us! You'd be surprised but we're probably in the minority and vendors don't cater for us - they cater for the masses who demand far less!

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
LD -

Do you think anything can be done to make the imp topaz better? To recut the lower facets to close it up?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two questions:

1. Why would you bother when you can get a refund?

2. Do you love the gem enough to do this? Understanding that (a) it may only minimise the tilt window and (b) you may lose more carat weight than you want which will affect value.

I know there are those people who advocate cutting/tweaking but the vast majority don't. If it were a wildly expensive gemstone and you would improve the value/look of the piece then maybe but in this case, I wouldn't do it. Also, bear in mind that this is a huge tilt window and so to put it right you'd have to do a fair amount of chopping. However that's a personal opinion and I know others would disagree.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Vicky, I'm so sorry you are experiencing these issues.

I am also confused like LD about which colored stone ring is which, but I will try to go by your text.

Here are my opinions. I don't understand your situation fully, and this is only a reflection of my personal experiences with custom work, which I've now only done for 2 projects (with Whiteflash, Quest (remodel), and Julia Kay Taylor.)

1) For the diamond ring, you asked for GIA stones, and you did not get GIA stones. My opinion is that you should immediately return these, and get ones that are GIA certed, and inspect those stones before they are mounted. The other option is to return the stones and walk away from that vendor. They betrayed your trust.

2) For the tanzanite ring, they used the wrong metal for the head. My opinion is that they need to remake the head. As for setting the stone/polishing, I would not give them another chance because of the polish work which left the facets rounded. Take the stone and setting elsewhere after the head is made properly.

3) For the spinel, that is very upsetting that they chipped the stone. If you have good photographic evidence that it was not chipped, I would tell them that you cannot trust them anymore, and have them refund you the cost of setting and polishing. I do not know anyone who does custom cutting/polishing anymore, who I would trust. I know that Dan Stair does custom cutting, but I have no experience with him.

4) Regarding the topaz, I think you should immediately return the stone. Technically there is nothing wrong with the custom ring. A place like Quest may be able to remake the head for you, for another stone (they remade the head of my WF setting, even when WF said they could not. The thread is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792[/URL]). I would chalk this up to a lesson learned to always inspect a stone immediately after purchase.

Buying gems and custom work is an expensive learning process, and I have a lot of sympathy for what you are going through. We've all made mistakes in this hobby. As for the vendor's list, I agree it is just a list. I can recommend Quest and JKT, but I know there are other PSers who have had issues with them. Many love Whiteflash, but I had problems with them. I think it depends on the customer, the rep at the vendor, expectations, and the project.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1361043602|3381810 said:

I am also confused like LD about which colored stone ring is which, but I will try to go by your text.

Here are my opinions. I don't understand your situation fully, and this is only a reflection of my personal experiences with custom work, which I've now only done for 2 projects (with Whiteflash, Quest (remodel), and Julia Kay Taylor.)

1) For the diamond ring, you asked for GIA stones, and you did not get GIA stones. My opinion is that you should immediately return these, and get ones that are GIA certed, and inspect those stones before they are mounted. The other option is to return the stones and walk away from that vendor. They betrayed your trust.

2) For the tanzanite ring, they used the wrong metal for the head. My opinion is that they need to remake the head. As for setting the stone/polishing, I would not give them another chance because of the polish work which left the facets rounded. Take the stone and setting elsewhere after the head is made properly.

3) For the spinel, that is very upsetting that they chipped the stone. If you have good photographic evidence that it was not chipped, I would tell them that you cannot trust them anymore, and have them refund you the cost of setting and polishing. I do not know anyone who does custom cutting/polishing anymore, who I would trust. I know that Dan Stair does custom cutting, but I have no experience with him.

4) Regarding the topaz, I think you should immediately return the stone. Technically there is nothing wrong with the custom ring. A place like Quest may be able to remake the head for you, for another stone (they remade the head of my WF setting, even when WF said they could not. The thread is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792[/URL]). I would chalk this up to a lesson learned to always inspect a stone immediately after purchase.

Buying gems and custom work is an expensive learning process, and I have a lot of sympathy for what you are going through. We've all made mistakes in this hobby. As for the vendor's list, I agree it is just a list. I can recommend Quest and JKT, but I know there are other PSers who have had issues with them. Many love Whiteflash, but I had problems with them. I think it depends on the customer, the rep at the vendor, expectations, and the project.

Preg: you said it all really well. I am so sorry, Amy, that you went through all of this. I too, having asked the question about a window would've taken the vendor at face value :blackeye: because that's what we do - we trust until proven otherwise.

Argh! and here you thought you were being cost efficient by giving all your work to one vendor and instead it sounds like you have had 100% disappointment. If you cannot resolve things to your satisfaction with the vendor, then I urge you to share the name here. It is not any breach in PS policies and would be doing a service for other PSers.

Again, I'm really sorry. Your story is in part what keeps me too intimidated to even try custom work. :(sad

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just have a query about a couple of points here:

1) For the diamond ring, you asked for GIA stones, and you did not get GIA stones. My opinion is that you should immediately return these, and get ones that are GIA certed, and inspect those stones before they are mounted. The other option is to return the stones and walk away from that vendor. They betrayed your trust. Is this correct? There may be GIA reports but they just haven't been handed over?????

2) For the tanzanite ring, they used the wrong metal for the head. My opinion is that they need to remake the head. As for setting the stone/polishing, I would not give them another chance because of the polish work which left the facets rounded. Take the stone and setting elsewhere after the head is made properly. The problem here is that Vicky will have to trust the jeweller to remove the Tanzanite from the setting before they work on it! :-o I don't know what the answer is (and do agree that they should remake the setting) but who takes the stone out because they sound incompetent and if Vicky takes it to somebody else to de-mount they may refuse to work on the setting. I think Vicky needs to think this one through and talk with the jeweller.

3) For the spinel, that is very upsetting that they chipped the stone. If you have good photographic evidence that it was not chipped, I would tell them that you cannot trust them anymore, and have them refund you the cost of setting and polishing. I do not know anyone who does custom cutting/polishing anymore, who I would trust. I know that Dan Stair does custom cutting, but I have no experience with him. This one is a risk we all take. They are not obliged to put it right (although you would hope they would). It will be very difficult to prove as well because it would need some very good photos to prove it.

4) Regarding the topaz, I think you should immediately return the stone. Technically there is nothing wrong with the custom ring. A place like Quest may be able to remake the head for you, for another stone (they remade the head of my WF setting, even when WF said they could not. The thread is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792[/URL]). I would chalk this up to a lesson learned to always inspect a stone immediately after purchase. I'm really confused by this one. I think but am not sure that the stone and ring were bought from one vendor as a package. If not I don't understand how the stone got to the setter without Vicky seeing it.

Buying gems and custom work is an expensive learning process, and I have a lot of sympathy for what you are going through. We've all made mistakes in this hobby. As for the vendor's list, I agree it is just a list. I can recommend Quest and JKT, but I know there are other PSers who have had issues with them. Many love Whiteflash, but I had problems with them. I think it depends on the customer, the rep at the vendor, expectations, and the project. Agree with you and think you can add in budget as well!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note that not all GIA diamonds are well cut; stick to only those with EX rating to decrease your chances of a dud.
From my understanding, the new topaz was purchased sight unseen. The setting was mailed to the vendor to be modified and reset with the new stone. A topaz has decent RI so even as a step cut, the size of tilt window is surprising. Perhaps as LD said, its paleness made it more obvious.

TL and others have sent their stones to Jerry of Grmart to recut or get fixed. An excellent lapidary who does good work at reasonable prices with outside stones.
http://www.gemartservices.com/about.htm

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Great questions and points, LD.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1361062267|3381996 said:
Great questions and points, LD.

Yours were too Preg. Your summary was excellent.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Ok guys. Re. the Imp Topaz situation, I am feeling a bit more optimistic. I have been chatting a lot with my gem buddy today and he's convinced me to return the badly cut stone. I have found a possible replacement stone - one my gem buddy gave a stamp of approval and I am going to PREVIEW this stone even though it is coming to me from a very very reputable source. Expensive lesson learned today. See the photo of the replacement gem below. Thoughts???

sm-imptopazemcut724.jpg

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
LD|1361048136|3381874 said:

1) For the diamond ring, you asked for GIA stones, and you did not get GIA stones. My opinion is that you should immediately return these, and get ones that are GIA certed, and inspect those stones before they are mounted. The other option is to return the stones and walk away from that vendor. They betrayed your trust. Is this correct? There may be GIA reports but they just haven't been handed over????? VG REPLY: THERE MIGHT BE GIA REPORTS OUT THERE FOR THESE STONES, BUT THEY WERE NOT GIVEN TO ME. I REQUESTED THEM AND HAVE YET TO RECEIVE THEM. MEANWHILE, I NOTICED THE HUGE DIFFERENCE IN HOW THE GIRDLES APPEAR BECAUSE ONE HAS A LARGE FROSTY WHITE GIRDLE AND THE OTHER IS SMALLER AND FACETED LIKE THE CENTER. IT BOTHERS ME.

2) For the tanzanite ring, they used the wrong metal for the head. My opinion is that they need to remake the head. As for setting the stone/polishing, I would not give them another chance because of the polish work which left the facets rounded. Take the stone and setting elsewhere after the head is made properly. The problem here is that Vicky will have to trust the jeweller to remove the Tanzanite from the setting before they work on it! :-o I don't know what the answer is (and do agree that they should remake the setting) but who takes the stone out because they sound incompetent and if Vicky takes it to somebody else to de-mount they may refuse to work on the setting. I think Vicky needs to think this one through and talk with the jeweller. VG REPLY: I AM THINKING ABOUT HAVING THE JEWELER PUT A NEW ROSE GOLD HEAD IN PLACE OF THE YELLOW GOLD ONE WITHOUT SETTING THE TANZI. I AM THINKING OF SENDING THE TANZI TO JERRY TO HAVE HIM FIX IT AND FIND SOMEONE NEAR HIM THAT HE TRUSTS TO SET IT.

3) For the spinel, that is very upsetting that they chipped the stone. If you have good photographic evidence that it was not chipped, I would tell them that you cannot trust them anymore, and have them refund you the cost of setting and polishing. I do not know anyone who does custom cutting/polishing anymore, who I would trust. I know that Dan Stair does custom cutting, but I have no experience with him. This one is a risk we all take. They are not obliged to put it right (although you would hope they would). It will be very difficult to prove as well because it would need some very good photos to prove it. VG REPLY: I HAVE GOOD PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE IT WASN'T CHIPPED. I MIGHT GET THIS STONE BACK TOO AND SEND IT TO JERRY AS WELL. I DON'T TRUST THEIR LAPIDARY TO FIX IT AND I DON'T WANT IT MESSED UP MORE.

4) Regarding the topaz, I think you should immediately return the stone. Technically there is nothing wrong with the custom ring. A place like Quest may be able to remake the head for you, for another stone (they remade the head of my WF setting, even when WF said they could not. The thread is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792[/URL]). I would chalk this up to a lesson learned to always inspect a stone immediately after purchase. I'm really confused by this one. I think but am not sure that the stone and ring were bought from one vendor as a package. If not I don't understand how the stone got to the setter without Vicky seeing it. VG REPLY: I AGREE. IT NEEDS TO AND WILL GO BACK. WHAT HAPPENED WAS I SENT MY MOUNTING TO THE GEM DEALER AND TRUSTED HIS WORD ABOUT THE CUT BEING "THE BEST OUT THERE WITH NO WINDOW" AND I LET HIM SET IT WITHOUT SEEING IT. HOW DUMB! I WAS WARNED NOT TO DO THAT, BUT I DIDN'T LISTEN BECAUSE I THOUGHT THE VENDOR COULD BE TRUSTED. NOT!!!

Buying gems and custom work is an expensive learning process, and I have a lot of sympathy for what you are going through. We've all made mistakes in this hobby. As for the vendor's list, I agree it is just a list. I can recommend Quest and JKT, but I know there are other PSers who have had issues with them. Many love Whiteflash, but I had problems with them. I think it depends on the customer, the rep at the vendor, expectations, and the project. Agree with you and think you can add in budget as well!
VG REPLY: YES IT IS. VERY EMOTIONAL WHEN SOMEONE TAKES ADVANTAGE OF YOU ALSO. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE SO EXCITED. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR ADVICE AND HELP!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vickygigi|1361065630|3382034 said:
LD|1361048136|3381874 said:

1) For the diamond ring, you asked for GIA stones, and you did not get GIA stones. My opinion is that you should immediately return these, and get ones that are GIA certed, and inspect those stones before they are mounted. The other option is to return the stones and walk away from that vendor. They betrayed your trust. Is this correct? There may be GIA reports but they just haven't been handed over????? VG REPLY: THERE MIGHT BE GIA REPORTS OUT THERE FOR THESE STONES, BUT THEY WERE NOT GIVEN TO ME. I REQUESTED THEM AND HAVE YET TO RECEIVE THEM. MEANWHILE, I NOTICED THE HUGE DIFFERENCE IN HOW THE GIRDLES APPEAR BECAUSE ONE HAS A LARGE FROSTY WHITE GIRDLE AND THE OTHER IS SMALLER AND FACETED LIKE THE CENTER. IT BOTHERS ME.

2) For the tanzanite ring, they used the wrong metal for the head. My opinion is that they need to remake the head. As for setting the stone/polishing, I would not give them another chance because of the polish work which left the facets rounded. Take the stone and setting elsewhere after the head is made properly. The problem here is that Vicky will have to trust the jeweller to remove the Tanzanite from the setting before they work on it! :-o I don't know what the answer is (and do agree that they should remake the setting) but who takes the stone out because they sound incompetent and if Vicky takes it to somebody else to de-mount they may refuse to work on the setting. I think Vicky needs to think this one through and talk with the jeweller. VG REPLY: I AM THINKING ABOUT HAVING THE JEWELER PUT A NEW ROSE GOLD HEAD IN PLACE OF THE YELLOW GOLD ONE WITHOUT SETTING THE TANZI. I AM THINKING OF SENDING THE TANZI TO JERRY TO HAVE HIM FIX IT AND FIND SOMEONE NEAR HIM THAT HE TRUSTS TO SET IT.

3) For the spinel, that is very upsetting that they chipped the stone. If you have good photographic evidence that it was not chipped, I would tell them that you cannot trust them anymore, and have them refund you the cost of setting and polishing. I do not know anyone who does custom cutting/polishing anymore, who I would trust. I know that Dan Stair does custom cutting, but I have no experience with him. This one is a risk we all take. They are not obliged to put it right (although you would hope they would). It will be very difficult to prove as well because it would need some very good photos to prove it. VG REPLY: I HAVE GOOD PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE IT WASN'T CHIPPED. I MIGHT GET THIS STONE BACK TOO AND SEND IT TO JERRY AS WELL. I DON'T TRUST THEIR LAPIDARY TO FIX IT AND I DON'T WANT IT MESSED UP MORE.

4) Regarding the topaz, I think you should immediately return the stone. Technically there is nothing wrong with the custom ring. A place like Quest may be able to remake the head for you, for another stone (they remade the head of my WF setting, even when WF said they could not. The thread is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/#post-3381792#p3381792[/URL]). I would chalk this up to a lesson learned to always inspect a stone immediately after purchase. I'm really confused by this one. I think but am not sure that the stone and ring were bought from one vendor as a package. If not I don't understand how the stone got to the setter without Vicky seeing it. VG REPLY: I AGREE. IT NEEDS TO AND WILL GO BACK. WHAT HAPPENED WAS I SENT MY MOUNTING TO THE GEM DEALER AND TRUSTED HIS WORD ABOUT THE CUT BEING "THE BEST OUT THERE WITH NO WINDOW" AND I LET HIM SET IT WITHOUT SEEING IT. HOW DUMB! I WAS WARNED NOT TO DO THAT, BUT I DIDN'T LISTEN BECAUSE I THOUGHT THE VENDOR COULD BE TRUSTED. NOT!!!

VG REPLY: YES IT IS. VERY EMOTIONAL WHEN SOMEONE TAKES ADVANTAGE OF YOU ALSO. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE SO EXCITED. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR ADVICE AND HELP!!!

Oh VG, I am so sorry about all of this! And I can totally empathize especially with the last bit you wrote here. I feel your pain about being betrayed by a jeweler you trusted. I cannot add to the excellent advice you have received here but just want to add my support and lots of (((hugs))) to you. I hope it can all be resolved to your satisfaction.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Missy. Being an honest person myself I am too trusting of others. It is no fun being on the bad end of a transaction like this. I am grateful for the new vendor though and I am happy to see his stone to verify it is "the one".

NatalieC

Rough_Rock
Oh Vicky - what a disappointment for you. :((
I can't really add anything else other than to say I hope you are able to resolve this and come out the other end with some good news :cry:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vicky what are you looking for in an Imperial Topaz. I don't agree with Chris's choice I'm afraid. It looks very yellow and from the stones you've already posted/owned, it doesn't match. Don't forget, broadly speaking, the more pink you see the more valuable it is as there's a fine line when the pink shows and then breakages occur! If too yellow, these can look like Citrine. Also, just out of curiosity why are you going for a Topaz?

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
I want an imperial topaz that is peach in color (orangey pinkish), well cut, I like emerald cuts in this stone but without the giant window. I need it to be large sized +4 cts and clean. Fine fine, Chris is my gem buddy and so far, he hasn't steered me wrong. Whenever I've ignored him, I've regretted it. He drills into my head that it is important to have a well cut stone and my tears yesterday upon seeing the topaz I insisted on buying over his objections was evidence that I should have listened. You cannot always tell the color of a stone from a computer screen and the one I am going to evaluate is from a very very reputable source who also values a well cut stone. I think it is worth my seeing it. What does it hurt to take a look? I love the size of the new stone (+7 cts). What makes you say it doesn't match my other stones? I don't necessarily have to match my rings since I only wear 1 at a time on my right hand and my ER on my left. Thanks for your time & opinions!!! :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't match in terms of colour.

Hope it works out for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results