shape
carat
color
clarity

Yes to this spess?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep this spessartite garnet. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I am not sure it "glows" enough for my liking, or if I am being picky/unrealistic for my budget. This is the first orange one I've ever seen in person so don't necessarily know what to expect.

2011_08_26 097.jpg

2011_08_26 102.jpg

2011_08_26 095.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one more pic...

2011_08_26 110.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's gorgeous, but I'm no pro.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1314742004|3005745 said:
Hi all. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep this spessartite garnet. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I am not sure it "glows" enough for my liking, or if I am being picky/unrealistic for my budget. This is the first orange one I've ever seen in person so don't necessarily know what to expect.

It is very very clean, which is rare for spessartites, well cut, I don't see a lot of brown (if your photos are accurate).

I guess it depends on what you paid for it, and what the carat weight is. If it was inexpensive, I would keep it in a heartbeat. It's difficult to give you a proper decision if no one knows the size, or if you paid a fair price. I know we have to be more picky when the price point is significant.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, should have included that info. It's 1.82 ct, paid 218. I don't see brown IRL. If anything, the slightest touch of yellow, but it's pretty straight-up orange.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know I already added my $.02, but it's one of the prettiest pears I've ever seen.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
keep it!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1314742004|3005745 said:

This is the only part that matters. Here's something to think about: every time I've talked myself into liking a stone, I've come to regret it. Make sure you love it.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's gorgeous and I would definitely keep it :love: :love: !

May I ask where you got it?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
If you're not totally set on it, then maybe it's not worth it to keep. Although, I once picked up a spinel, but when I saw it irl it wasn't what I expected or what I was originally looking for. I kept it anyway. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I just got it set and I have to say I'm really glad I kept it.

As for the spess, I don't have any orange gems myself, but it looks pretty on my computer screen! I like it

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input, all. I am leaning towards keeping it. It is quite pretty. I was using arjunajane's spess from Bespoke as my guideline, since her thread is what got me thinking about these garnets in the first place (normally, I'm not a fan of orange, or at least didn't use to be - too bad this addiction didn't expand my wallet as much as my horizons, lol). Hers is brighter (more saturated? Still trying to fully grasp these concepts), but mine ain't half bad.

I got it from Brad at The Gem Trader. He's got a nice looking pear on his site currently, which may be more what I was looking for in person (with a "neon" description), but it's more than I would spend on a stone that's not my favourite colour, especially right now (I used a credit from a returned item for this purchase).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It surely glows enough to my liking! Beautiful color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pleasing colour (not too brown and/or yellow) that is well cut. Not knowing the price, it is difficult to advice a positive or negative answer. Orange isn't one of my top colour choices either but I purchased a few anyway just because the colour was too good to resist.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was 218 dollars. 1.82 ct. Does that swing you one way or the other, Chrono?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just over $100/ct, which is a good price. Are you going to find something better for less? Sure but it also depends on how hard you look and how long you are willing to wait.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I think that's a very good price for the stone. I find the color very nice but it's not my opinion that counts. If YOU don't love it and would rather have the $ to spend on a stone you would love then send it back. I doubt it'll sit long if you return it! :shock:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think its very good for the price. personally, i'd keep it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. For the price I doubt you will do much better unless you look for a long time and get lucky.

It's a lovely stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results