Votes: 10 32.3%
  • NO -- do not buy the necklace, it is a waste of $

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • View Results Only

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yesterday I ran smack into a glass case containing an old flame .... the Tiffany-esque Graduated Bead Sterling Silver necklace. I've wanted the dern thing for years. Iwannaprettyone has the real deal and I gushed over it vomitously. I never got the real thing because, well, my neck is too fat. Have researched other *longer* knock offs and had it on my Xmas list for two years about two years ago. I kinda stopped obsessing about it and moved on.

But, now, there it was. 20 inches, and adjustable from about 17 inches to 20 ... versatile! Wasn't too light & chintzy feeling ... not too heavy. Looked nice but didn't WOW me. Maybe that was because I was all icked out in my Sam's Club weekend shopping/schlepping attire ... but honestly, as a freelancer that's how I spend 90% of my time.

Its a conservative piece. I don't dress up much. It will probably go unworn and then tarnish and end up being a regret instead of a dream-come-true. I usually wear just one necklace and wear it all the time. My current fave is the rose gold pave starfish my husband bought me on our anniversary in Mykonos. They do not go together. Its either/or and I don't wanna take this one off.

I guess my answer is pretty clear ... but I. Still. Waver. Talk some sense into me Pscope Buds. Tough love. I can take it!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deco, I voted no because it sounds as though in theory you like this piece but do not love it on. I also voted no because I own the Tiff's one and it has been sitting tarnished in its Tiff's bag for YEARS! I had to have it! But I wore it for a little, and then haven't worn it since. I find it to look too dressy on me and so that is why I don't wear it. Hope that helped!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Everytime I've seen this necklace/bracelet, I've thought WOW. I know it they are only "beads", but are (nonetheless) chic.

Can you make this wearable as a bracelet--get more bang for your buck? I have necklaces that work for me that way and when my neck is busy, I switch to my wrist.

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1298923445|2861389 said:
Hi Deco, I voted no because it sounds as though in theory you like this piece but do not love it on. I also voted no because I own the Tiff's one and it has been sitting tarnished in its Tiff's bag for YEARS! I had to have it! But I wore it for a little, and then haven't worn it since. I find it to look too dressy on me and so that is why I don't wear it. Hope that helped!
Thanks Lizzyann! That does help. It's my biggest fear about the piece ... that it is too dressy for my lifestyle. I like it in THEORY and on OTHER PEOPLE. And I felt sad that it wouldn't fit me so I COULDN'T have it, yanno? But now that I CAN have it ... meh?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1298923734|2861395 said:
HI:

Everytime I've seen this necklace/bracelet, I've thought WOW. I know it they are only "beads", but are (nonetheless) chic.

Can you make this wearable as a bracelet--get more bang for your buck? I have necklaces that work for me that way and when my neck is busy, I switch to my wrist.

cheers--Sharon

Funny that you say that, Sharon ... there WAS a matching bracelet ... not graduated. I didn't try it on because I wasn't even thinking of that. Maybe I should go back & seeeeeeeeeeeee. It would pair nicely with my new chunky black ceramic men's watch.

I think WOW too when I see it on other people. Part of me kinda wishes I was like those other people who look so great & put together in professional, traditional outfits. (My sisters included.) Am just SUPER casual, always have been. And when I fight my natural inclinations I end up with wads of expensive unworn clothes/accessories. Maybe if I'm ever back in a daily professional workplace I'd have an excuse for such things. Until then .... :geek:

ETA: I'm not sure the necklace itself would work as a bracelet. It would be VERY chunky doubled with a lot of excess hanging down (adjustible chain bit) Cool idea though! I'll think about that for my cheapie pearl necklaces that don't get worn much now!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Deco, I have the Tiff's necklace with non-graduated beads, and while I love it, it is definintely a dressy piece. I mostly wear it to work with my suits, but I'll occasionally wear it for an evening out . . . IMO, it's not really a casual piece. As someone whose style is mostly casual, I think you'll probably not get enough wear out of it to make it worth the investment.

The matching bracelet, however, is something I wear all the time--it goes with dressy stuff, casual stuff, and in-between stuff. I actually want to get mine re-polished because it's a little dinged up from several years of frequent wear. I also really like the earrings that match it and wear those quite a bit as well. They're pretty simple, but I think they look pretty and classy with a variety of outfits and looks. Maybe the bracelet and/or the earrings would work for you? It's definitely worth a trip to Tiffany's to do some "research" :Up_to_something: .

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Deco, I like Canuk's idea about the bracelet! I have the bracelet as well and I wear mine ALL the time!!!! Looks great next to my watch!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I really am going to go back & check out the bracelet. Would probably need an 8 incher ... so might have to start searching online again if I like the look w/my watch etc.

Seems like the necklace is for someone else's life. Its not quite ENOUGH to dress up casual clothes .... (I wear diamonds w/everything). Maybe the key is that it appears so TRADITIONAL ... not *funky*. I tend to like the funky, quirky, matte-finish, handmade kind of things. And this is bold shiny in-your-face silver PLUS the very traditional graduated "pearl" type of piece that just oozes Politician's Wife. I'm afraid my oozings lean more toward the Could-Be-An-Artist/Could-Be-A-Bum variety.

Thanks for helping me think this through .... :appl:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1298933536|2861519 said:
I think I really am going to go back & check out the bracelet. Would probably need an 8 incher ... so might have to start searching online again if I like the look w/my watch etc.

Seems like the necklace is for someone else's life. Its not quite ENOUGH to dress up casual clothes .... (I wear diamonds w/everything). Maybe the key is that it appears so TRADITIONAL ... not *funky*. I tend to like the funky, quirky, matte-finish, handmade kind of things. And this is bold shiny in-your-face silver PLUS the very traditional graduated "pearl" type of piece that just oozes Politician's Wife. I'm afraid my oozings lean more toward the Could-Be-An-Artist/Could-Be-A-Bum variety.

Thanks for helping me think this through .... :appl:

You nailed it deco! I totally agree when you say it is TRADITIONAL! The only word I could come up with was dressy, but I think traditional is right on in describing it. When I used to have to wear suits on occasion to work I would wear it, then when I went to a more business casual office I never wore it and went with more funky longer 30" or longer necklaces. Now I am a SAHM so it doesn't fit into my lifestyle at all. Definitely check out the bracelet! I think you will like it!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I dont think so. You just seem too iffy about it. If you really wanted it, you would have gotten it already, woman!!! ;))

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the bracelet too - I've wondered about buying one myself. My wrist is small, and the size I see on their site is 10mm beads. Would those be really big? I think you'd get a lot of wear out of the bracelet!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
katiedid|1298948239|2861726 said:
I love the bracelet too - I've wondered about buying one myself. My wrist is small, and the size I see on their site is 10mm beads. Would those be really big? I think you'd get a lot of wear out of the bracelet!
The beads are big, but I don't think they look too big for my wrists, and I'm a very petite person. I think the size of the beads adds a little more interest and makes it look more special than just a generic silver bracelet.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DIL has the graduated necklace and bracelet from Tiffany's. She certainly doesn't wear it everyday but it is gorgeous with a black dress - everyone has a dress up occasion every now and then. A suit would be good too but so is a white shirt on a summer tan with some nice capris - stunning!

Sometimes we just have to feed that monster within - I say go for it! What we want has very little to do with what we need but sometimes a want won't go away until we cave in and say 'I deserve this!' You're not talking thousands of dollars - what the hay!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have the full set - necklace, bracelet and earrings. I absolutely love the necklace and I wear it a few times a week. They are like my staple modern pearls for a work outfit and can transition nicely to going out wear!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This post was very timely for me - I was on the verge of ordering the Tiffany necklace because I'd had a silver bead necklace that recently broke in the gym locker room, and beads went everywhere. I was so sad - I actually wore it quite a bit. So today I ordered the necklace and bracelet from a company called Silver Messages. I wanted a 16" necklace (most sites offered an 18" length) with 8mm beads, and a 7" bracelet with 8mm beads. This site had both, offered a 20% discount, and was very reasonable (WAY cheaper than Tiffany). They seem to use high quality sterling silver, have a 60 day return policy, and had fantastic customer testimonials on the site. I can't wait to get them. I really wanted the Tiffany ones but just couldn't justify spending that kind of money. If these turn out to be not what I'd hoped, I can always send them back!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani|1298942042|2861637 said:
I dont think so. You just seem too iffy about it. If you really wanted it, you would have gotten it already, woman!!! ;))
Good point! I was kinda in a "mood" when I saw it ... so I thought that might be my hesitation ... but in thinking about it more maybe my instincts were correct.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
kittybean|1299017571|2862419 said:
katiedid|1298948239|2861726 said:
The beads are big, but I don't think they look too big for my wrists, and I'm a very petite person. I think the size of the beads adds a little more interest and makes it look more special than just a generic silver bracelet.
I'm not sure of the bead-size of the knock off bracelet I saw ... but I do like how the genuine Tiff's look. It does look *special* or *bold/modern*.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, there's always something a little special about anything Tiffany. :love:

I'm hoping the knockoff will satisfy me. If not, I'll send these back and for about the same money, just get the bracelet from Tiff!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1299023031|2862490 said:
My DIL has the graduated necklace and bracelet from Tiffany's. She certainly doesn't wear it everyday but it is gorgeous with a black dress - everyone has a dress up occasion every now and then. A suit would be good too but so is a white shirt on a summer tan with some nice capris - stunning!

Sometimes we just have to feed that monster within - I say go for it! What we want has very little to do with what we need but sometimes a want won't go away until we cave in and say 'I deserve this!' You're not talking thousands of dollars - what the hay!
Thanks for the first-hand account, MGR! Those outfits of your DIL's are the chic, simple outfits I always WISH I was wearing ... and somehow I end up in my jeans and cat-hair-covered cardigan -- or WORSE ... worn out yoga pants + sweatshirt. Hmmmm.... I have a wedding to go to this month ... would that necklace work with my wedding outfit? Maybe! An excuse!

You know, now that I'm thinking about it ... I wonder if some of my hesitation is that I have a string of grey, metallic-ish freshwater pearls *already* .... its kind of a similar (but softer) look. Gah.

My monster is grumbling again. :cheeky:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1299026637|2862536 said:
I have the full set - necklace, bracelet and earrings. I absolutely love the necklace and I wear it a few times a week. They are like my staple modern pearls for a work outfit and can transition nicely to going out wear!
Interesting. Thanks for the advice! I do think of them like "modern pearls".

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
katiedid|1299027077|2862548 said:
This post was very timely for me - I was on the verge of ordering the Tiffany necklace because I'd had a silver bead necklace that recently broke in the gym locker room, and beads went everywhere. I was so sad - I actually wore it quite a bit. So today I ordered the necklace and bracelet from a company called Silver Messages. I wanted a 16" necklace (most sites offered an 18" length) with 8mm beads, and a 7" bracelet with 8mm beads. This site had both, offered a 20% discount, and was very reasonable (WAY cheaper than Tiffany). They seem to use high quality sterling silver, have a 60 day return policy, and had fantastic customer testimonials on the site. I can't wait to get them. I really wanted the Tiffany ones but just couldn't justify spending that kind of money. If these turn out to be not what I'd hoped, I can always send them back!
I'll check that site out too. Hopefully you'll love them. Good to hear that other folks are liking/wearing/wanting them also! Thanks for weighing in!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll definitely post a follow up as to how they turn out! The necklace I ordered has all the beads one size (not graduated), but the site did have the graduated ones as well. The only worry I have about the knock offs is how they'll hold up long term - how quickly they'll tarnish, etc. We'll see! Can't wait to see what you decide deco!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1298923734|2861395 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I agree-beads are chic. Gurhan's hammered ball bead necklace drives me wild. Hammered silver beads would be gorgeous too.

Deco-if it is perhaps too traditional, then you could always take it to a jeweler and have them matte it for you. I love the look of matte silver. Also, a longer version could be very cool. Heck, now I'm thinking of a matte non-graduated ball bead silver rope. Don't know if that is available near you, but it's such a fun idea-double it, triple it, wear it long. In any case, if you don't think you'd actually wear the thing, then pass and scratch another jewelry itch.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a SS bead bracelet from BlueNile http://www.bluenile.com/sterling-silver-bead-bracelet_2374
and it is lovely and I like it a lot. But, I find it nearly impossible to fasten it around my wrist by myself, so it rarely gets worn. Does anyone else have that problem? The clasp is so stiff, and 7.5" just barely makes it around my wrist, so it is really a struggle to fasten the thing.

Mine has gotten pretty tarnished from not being worn. After reading this thread maybe I'll try getting it out again. It really is a nice looking bracelet on.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I don't know anything about this necklace, but I say no. I was in the market for a necklace last year, and a lot of the pieces I liked were dressy. I instead bought a pretty piece that's casual or can be dressed up a bit, and I LOVE it. I wear it every day and think I enjoy it more because it works with jeans and flip flops as well as a nice suit. Basically I feel like I am getting my MONEY'S WORTH.

I have a few tif's pieces (teardrop earrings, monogram necklace) that I enjoyed, but moved on from. Now they sit there waiting to be handed down to my daughter years from now. With silver, I tend to move on quickly. But anything that I have that's platinum or white gold...it seems to get worn and not phased out once purchased. My diamond studs have been on my ears for 2 years now. Beaudry ring gets worn in shifts with the Amelia ring, and the ering is on my left, of course. I have not been tempted to buy any more rings because it would lessen the time that each gets to be on my fingers! Now the necklace will stay on my neck for years, most likely. I just keep moving on to different body parts to adorn. :Up_to_something:

I guess every year, or other year, I save up for the "it" piece. Sadly, now I will have to save 40 years to buy the watch I want, but hey....something to strive for.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

More difficult than you thought! I agree with many of TG's sentiments--I am surprised at how few jewellery I wear and the same pieces I repeat over and over.

Beads are simply a favorite for me--agree with Coati. Timeless. Pearls can be dressed up or down--as I think these Tiffany bead necklace can be. One of my favorite pieces are jade beads with old coins--that gets worn with Dolce or Guess jeans. I think beads lend themselves toward chic and sophistication--but that does not soley imply formal or too dressy.

I recently fell in love with some 24K beads/necklace (matte, high polish, small and larger sizes....)--and when I win the Lotto I'll be there as fast as you can say Gimmie! :naughty: :tongue:

In the final analysis, if this purchase gives you that much pause, then..........................

cheers--Sharon

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So deco, what did you decide? Or are you still contemplating?

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
This is not fair! I had never heard of this necklace before reading the post. Now I think I need it.

Do you think that the Bluenile version would do?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Tiff's discontinued that necklace and especially the bracelet for some time because they were so cheaply made, they fell apart. People brought them back again & again, in pieces. I didn't realize they'd started selling them again.

So if it's any consolation, they are not worth the price at Tiffany. Much of their silver jewelry is poorly done, if you look at clasps & soldering, etc. Fine jewelry, it ain't.

I vote no too; think of how you feel when a stone or setting makes your heart stop -- I don't hear that in your writing about this necklace. As we get educated, our tastes change & I think yours are maturing! Your starfish necklace sounds much nicer. Bracelets take a bit more of a beating than necklaces -- hollow silver beads on your wrist, where they can get knocked around more easily, don't tend to hold up well. I bet you wouldn't end up wearing it for long.

--- Laurie

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
katiedid|1299031631|2862605 said:
I'll definitely post a follow up as to how they turn out! The necklace I ordered has all the beads one size (not graduated), but the site did have the graduated ones as well. The only worry I have about the knock offs is how they'll hold up long term - how quickly they'll tarnish, etc. We'll see! Can't wait to see what you decide deco!
Thanks Katiedid! The tarnish aspect worries me as well. Even my Tiff pieces don't hold up long when I stop wearing them everyday. If they didn't have sentimental value I'd polish 'em up & sell most of them -- so much trouble that Sterling Silver is!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results