shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Sapphire setting ideas

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello pricescopers, I have just bought this yellow sapphire, its definitely not a perfect stone, it’s got visible wisps on it.
B9075872-B815-4EA5-8EC3-28E324CC9631.jpeg 53700782-EFA7-4D3C-9FBE-01B6B4F1764C.jpeg B7EBDDAD-52AC-44DF-81BF-E12F5ED104CF.jpeg
However I love the colour and shape and the size is not bad and the inclusions don’t bother me for a fun right hand ring.
It measures 9.5 x 7.5
I do not want to spend a huge amount on setting it because it was a fairly inexpensive stone but I’m looking for ideas. Here are the two things I know I do want -
1. White gold
2. Larger setting
I absolutely love @Voldemort and @Niel yellow sapphires, the settings for both are stunning but I am not sure this stone deserves the expense of a halo, maybe a thin one? Perhaps a three stone might be better (and cheaper?), I prefer smaller proportions on my side stones so perhaps I could do smaller side stones and bezel them to add a bit of size although I would prefer prongs I think for the sapphire as every other ring I own bar one is bezelled and I want a change!
Has anyone got any amazing ideas? I am not tied to vintage or modern just open to ideas - just don’t go too mad on the diamonds as it’s not in the budget :lol: Oh and its already on its way to DK along with another stone I just bought which may not be a goer but we will leave that for another day!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s extremely pretty and I love its silky color! What about setting it with some stones that will compliment it, such as zambian emeralds? Lighter greens will be so pretty! Alternatively, rhodolite garnets or amethysts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what really sets off a yellow sapphire is the white stones around it. But I get not wanting to spend too much

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really pretty. Soft and glowy. I agree with @Niel that white (and even grey) contrasts the yellow nicely. How about white sapphires if you want a white as a contrasting color? Or 2 grey colored gems in a three stone. I love grey and yellow together.

Just an example with the contrasting colors.

syr112-unheated-yellow-sapphire-rings-three-stone.jpg

syr112-three-stone-yellow-sapphire-rings.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think blue goes amazingly well with yellow. Gorgeous color combo.

Another example just to show the colors together.

9018892_master.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An air-gap/line halo with Tsarvorite melees, with the centre stone bezel-set?

DK :))

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooooh thanks for the ideas everyone!

@peacechick and @missy I think as this is my only yellow stone ring I am going to go with just white although I totally get where you are coming from with blue and purple. I am actually just about to have a massive amethyst ring ring made by DK though so I will be getting some purple in my life shorter :kiss2:

@Niel yes I am inclined to agree I have a yellow undertone to my skin as well so maybe that would be more flattering to have some separation. I read somewhere the other day that if you have a design thats already been made DK charged less and obviously I could have very narrow pave. It’s just then would I be happy with overall size being an absolute size w***e

@missy i like the three stone you posted with the diamonds, it looks very good on the finger shot.

@dk168 no to the tsavs as I am not a fan of yellow and green. Yes to the the design idea that would be very similar to Voldemont’s ring which I mentioned earlier and love. However I have a lot of bezels. But I do like that idea hmmm.
Who was it that had the tdf fancy diamond in the bezel ring? Just need to get me some lil prongs somewhere I think.

@icy_jade i like that design a lot however it’s going to be too much money I think for DK to do for me and I have already had the sapphire sent to him. I love those big 1960s ballerina style designs and think it would look amazing with the stone but I cannot see a budget friendly way to do it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re a size wh0re would you be happy if it *wasnt* haloed?

Existing cad for dk or not be prepared to spend money if you’re having him make you a halo. Gold prices will make you choke on that quote lol.

With that said he’s making me a halo atm I’m happy to let you copy haha

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Niel in answer to your first question not sure. Maybe one of those low bezels with the little claws. Do you know what I mean? So it increased size without being fully enclosed did someone do one of those with red spinel/ garnet and diamond three stone? Cannot remember.

Your second point I don’t fully understand - ‘or not be prepared to spend money if you’re having him make you a halo’
I’m getting him to make me a halo for an amethyst ring I have in the works that’s on the large side. It is a lot I’m hoping to cut costs by doing 14ct gold. We will see.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely a PSer has a double halo ring and one of the halo is pink, however, I can't remember the name of the PSer, sorry!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel in answer to your first question not sure. Maybe one of those low bezels with the little claws. Do you know what I mean? So it increased size without being fully enclosed did someone do one of those with red spinel and garnet? Cannot remember.

Your second point I don’t fully understand - ‘or not be prepared to spend money if you’re having him make you a halo’
I’m getting him to make me a halo for an amethyst ring I have in the works that’s on the large side. It is a lot I’m hoping to cut costs by doing 14ct gold. We will see.

My point is that you said you don’t want to spend a lot of money on this setting. I’m saying you will - whether you copy an old design of his or not - just based on gold prices

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@meely a PSer has a double halo ring and one of the halo is pink, however, I can't remember the name of the PSer, sorry!

Yes there is one on a Caysie thread I don’t want a double halo though as it would totally blow the budget :lol-2:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My point is that you said you don’t want to spend a lot of money on this setting. I’m saying you will - whether you copy an old design of his or not - just based on gold prices

Got you. Well I guess it’s all relative. I’m not expecting to spend $800 however I don’t want to spend $5000 either and I know if I didn’t mention that I want to do this on a budget I might get all sorts of beautiful yet price ideas. Bespoke french cuts anyone ;)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes there is one on a Caysie thread I don’t want a double halo though as it would totally blow the budget :lol-2:

How about a different colour halo to green? Like pink or purple or blue or orange?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got you. Well I guess it’s all relative. I’m not expecting to spend $800 however I don’t want to spend $5000 either and I know if I didn’t mention that I want to do this on a budget I might get all sorts of beautiful yet price ideas. Bespoke french cuts anyone ;)2

Ok I apologize when I hear someone say they don’t want to spend too much I don’t take that as “please don’t recommend the priciest settings” but rather “I’d like like to keep this price down”

My sapphire used to be in a gold setting with white and green stones I feel like the green really made the stone pop and it looked less engagement like than say just diamonds.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade i like that design a lot however it’s going to be too much money I think for DK to do for me and I have already had the sapphire sent to him. I love those big 1960s ballerina style designs and think it would look amazing with the stone but I cannot see a budget friendly way to do it!

Think the easy way to keep costs down is to go for readymade settings. For 1.7k it’s a lot of bling in the halo ;)2

Certainly many other designs as well if you want to save cost. Think I saw a few readymade at just over 1k that are not too bad.

Maybe next time then since you already sent to DK

clementinemm

Rough_Rock
It's really pretty. Soft and glowy. I agree with @Niel that white (and even grey) contrasts the yellow nicely. How about white sapphires if you want a white as a contrasting color? Or 2 grey colored gems in a three stone. I love grey and yellow together.

Just an example with the contrasting colors.

syr112-unheated-yellow-sapphire-rings-three-stone.jpg

syr112-three-stone-yellow-sapphire-rings.jpg

I love this combination. Sooooooo pretty!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about a different colour halo to green? Like pink or purple or blue or orange?

I like different coloured halos with a diamond or different colours for stacking rings but for a halo for a coloured stone....I don’t think it’s me, purple and blue would be the only ones I could see working for this stone but it doesn’t feel right somehow.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok I apologize when I hear someone say they don’t want to spend too much I don’t take that as “please don’t recommend the priciest settings” but rather “I’d like like to keep this price down”

My sapphire used to be in a gold setting with white and green stones I feel like the green really made the stone pop and it looked less engagement like than say just diamonds.

No need, I probably didn’t express myself too clearly. I have had two rings made by DK and just quoted another halo so I have an idea. But I don’t want to go over 2 and ideally quite a bit less. We shall see whether that is doable or not but I feel it probably is if I am flexible of course to some degree.

If the other stone pans out that will be a more expensive setting as I know what I want to do with it and that requires quite big diamonds. So I feel I will be definitely spending quite a bit more there even though that stone was even cheaper :???:

I love your current setting for your sapphire, beautiful and classic yet finely detailed. I hear what you are saying with regard to popping colors and I get that, there are some amazing rings on here with popping and clashing contrasts however normally they are owned by people with rather large collections. Mine is fairly modest so I’m trying to keep it more low key - who knows what I will do in the future though!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Think the easy way to keep costs down is to go for readymade settings. For 1.7k it’s a lot of bling in the halo ;)2

Certainly many other designs as well if you want to save cost. Think I saw a few readymade at just over 1k that are not too bad.

Maybe next time then since you already sent to DK

The problem is that I am not in the US and the vendor of the stone is not doing international at the moment, otherwise I would have had it shipped to the UK and sat on it a while. I have worked with DK before and trust him, I haven’t worked with any other jewellers before other than in the UK.

With regard to readymade settings, I have (potentially) two issues, especially when you are using a non Calibrated stone. One is the incidental air gap, the other blob prongs. But yes I love the setting and the price is good!

Incidentally I absolutely love your collection, the larger style halos that you have on some of your rings would certainly be an option for me if I felt I could justify the expenditure for this sapphire!

@meely: are there any designs that you don't have in your jewelry box right now that you may want to use for this stone?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3EF575D5-D076-4FB8-9C84-87F09E7D8087.jpeg
@meely: are there any designs that you don't have in your jewelry box right now that you may want to use for this stone?

Good question. Here is what I have.
I also have an Art Deco style halo in planning. I want to do a Victorian style chunky halo on another stone. No three stone or blingy solitaire. Any ideas?

Attachments

• FA3688F0-FD93-4E7A-973E-7CE49B7297BA.jpeg
    FA3688F0-FD93-4E7A-973E-7CE49B7297BA.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 12
3EF575D5-D076-4FB8-9C84-87F09E7D8087.jpeg

Good question. Here is what I have.
I also have an Art Deco style halo in planning. I want to do a Victorian style chunky halo on another stone. No three stone or blingy solitaire. Any ideas?

I really like the idea of a 3-stone then. Especially since you already have 2 oval halos.

RGYEDMOV040TB-060_252526_1_Masked.png

Here's a setting that I really like that combines the 3-stone and solitaire look. But I think finding side stones to match and in proportion to your sapphire might be $$ though...

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RGYEDMOV040TB-060_252526_1_Masked.png

Here's a setting that I really like that combines the 3-stone and solitaire look. But I think finding side stones to match and in proportion to your sapphire might be $$ though...

Ooh lovely the prongs are lush but yes I agree, might be pricey - maybe I could do pave setting in white gold in a trap like shape.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with @Niel that white stones would be best for popping the yellow. I know if I were in your situation, doing this ring on a budget, my inclination would be to go for white sapphire or colorless spinel rounds for a three-stone look instead of buying diamonds for sidestones. I had a pave ring with emeralds and meh, it just wasn't for me. It would just feel too Pandora and not look like a proper David Klass ring, would be my guess. But then again, I'm me and you're you, so take my words with a grain of salt and go with what you want!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with @Niel that white stones would be best for popping the yellow. I know if I were in your situation, doing this ring on a budget, my inclination would be to go for white sapphire or colorless spinel rounds for a three-stone look instead of buying diamonds for sidestones. I had a pave ring with emeralds and meh, it just wasn't for me. It would just feel too Pandora and not look like a proper David Klass ring, would be my guess. But then again, I'm me and you're you, so take my words with a grain of salt and go with what you want!

Thanks for chiming in. Pandora lol that’s perhaps not the look I am going for. Maybe you are right tbh I’m not sure this my 3 stone ring, I don’t think it’s big enough. I think I might be better with a halo, both Niel’s and Voldemort’s rings I absolutely love and that was my first instinct. I might have lots of halos but I think that’s where I need to go.
I think I need a darker stone to do a three stone I’m worried this will just blend into my hand too much plus the size.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for chiming in. Pandora lol that’s perhaps not the look I am going for. Maybe you are right tbh I’m not sure this my 3 stone ring, I don’t think it’s big enough. I think I might be better with a halo, both Niel’s and Voldemort’s rings I absolutely love and that was my first instinct. I might have lots of halos but I think that’s where I need to go.
I think I need a darker stone to do a three stone I’m worried this will just blend into my hand too much plus the size.

I would not think it would blend into thought hand with the mock ups you posted. I think a halo with larger stones (probably 3-3.5mm white sapphires) would help keep the budget down, as there would be fewer stones to set.

Aside from that, I would wholeheartedly agree with @icy_jade in that you could probably have looked for an existing mount instead of sending the sapphire to DK. I think you'd easily spend 10x what you paid for the sapphire if you're not careful...

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What about moissanite if going for a halo? It would be inexpensive, and be more sparkly than white sapphire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results