shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Sapphire advice

uniqsol06

Rough_Rock
Greetings! New to the forum...have browsed a bit & there seems to be solid info popping up in posts so I thought I''d try my luck! My bf & I have started looking for yellow sapphire (center) stones for my engagement ring.

1-Ideally, we''re hoping to find a stone that combines a good balance of cut & color, between 2.25-3.50 carats (though understandably the cut will play into the look).
2-Have been leaning mostly towards cushions & ovals, but also open to radiant cuts.
3-Per the setting, I''ve seriously been considering palladium (over platinum due to the price, over WG due to the "whiter" finish) but I''m open to experienced jeweler opinions.
Also likely to select a setting with diamonds versus the traditional solitare.
4-Lookings to come out under/around $5000, if at all possible, considering the above, (with a little wiggle room).

Have some background in the jewelry industry so (unbiased) technical & in-depth info is appreciated.
Not familiar with independent jewlers in our area, so a good bit of research & shopping will likely be done via internet with vendors that are reliable, knowledable, & easy to work with.

Many thanks!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I love yellow sapphires. Searching for one is how I found PS. Are you tolerant of the generally accepted (though not by me) heat treatment or looking for something totally un-enhanced?
HEre is one I like to start with. A little greenish tone to the yellow but nice depth of color

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/8072

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. What shade of yellow are you looking for? Different modifiers and intensity will also set the price. Sharing an inspiration picture is very helpful rather than trying to describe it using words.
2. As with all coloured gemstones, I prefer to ask the hoped for mm measurement as several stones with the same carat weight will all have different measurements due to how they are cut.
3. I do not know if you are aware of this but over time, palladium ends up looking very gray. I only mention this because you are looking for a whiter finish. Also, depending on the stone selected, sometimes a white metal will bring out the gray modifier in yellow stones, which is why many setters set yellow stones in yellow metal.
4. I always choose the stone first, then the setting as it is more limiting to select the setting first then the stone. Settings can be made to order but not gemstones.
5. Depending on how diamond encrusted the setting is and if you are open to heat treated sapphires, your budget could be reasonable. Are you looking for untreated stones only?

uniqsol06

Rough_Rock
VapidLapid & Chrono,
Great questions! Now we have more to consider, lol.

Regarding the color, looking for something like what is shown in these links: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/Cushion/stoneid=Y2170
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/Oval/stoneid=Y2367
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/Pear/stoneid=Y2590
(Reasonably, I understand that pics aren''t always the best representation. Would like to stay away from greenish, deep golden or orangy. More "basic" yellow -LOL- not sure if that helps? Also something with a pretty solid saturation of color. Have seen pale stones & they have not caught our interest.)

Regarding mm size, I was finding that the mm sizes I''ve seen were pretty varied! With that in mind, we realize that the mm size may not be exactly as listed below & might be more of a "closer to" size. That''s ok!
Overall, it seems as though we''d like to be around the following, based on the shape:
Cushion - 7/7.5 - 8.25mm
Oval - 8.5x6.5 - 9x7mm
Radiant - 8.5x.5 - 9x7mm
Pear - 10x7mm

Regarding heat-treated versus un-treated:
Not sure! Open to advice on that. I was leaning more towards "UN" simply b/c I was thinking it may help avoid issues of how the stone & ring are handled when being worked on, should it ever require that. If that is really a non-issue, I''m interested in exploring treated.
Any information regarding one versus the other is appreciated!

Regardings palladium versus platinum:
In the air on this one. Have heard differing views. Are they both rhodium coated/plated, as WG [often] is?
Probably the biggest thing I''d like to avoid is the "yellow" hue that WG takes on when the rhodium rubs off. Also felt that either of the "Ps" might be better as I have sensitive skin (tho never any previous issues w/ gold).

Definitely not overly concerned about the setting yet. Prefer to find a stone that is to our preferences first.

Thank you both for your help! (And to anyone else with helpful info!)

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Good luck in your hunt.

Platinum isn''t always rhodium plated. Some people get it done because they''re looking for the ring to aways have the bright shiny finish. Other''s like myself appreciate the duller luster that it gets over time. I don''t know for sure, but I would say it''s a similar story with palladium.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A heat treated and unheated stone are both unaffected by the setting process. The care of both types is also the same. Some people prefer their gemstones untouched by humans other than the usual handling of mining and faceting, so heated versus unheated is a personal choice, so long as it has not been BE diffused which is essentially having a dye permeate through the entire stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is incredibly difficult to find a pure yellow colour with strong saturation but we will try.
The first picture you linked to has decent colour, showing some golden/orange hints.
The second sapphire linked is rather pale and shows some brown undertone because of the low saturation.
The last pear shows a sunny yellow with good saturation at the tip, but not so on the body. It looks quite pale in the side view pictures.

uniqsol06

Rough_Rock
Chrono:
Regarding heat treated, would I be correct in saying that perhaps the biggest "thing" is to verify that the treatment is permanent & offered under a guarantee of some kind?

Regarding the links/pics -
The first is the one I like the best. The orange hint isn''t overpowering, so I''m actually ok with that. Based on the video the site offers, that one "popped" for us the most, (but that may also be due to the way it''s faceted). We''re definitely still investigating.
The second I did notice was slightly "dingy" (for lack of a better word!), but I''m guessing what you see as brownish undertone is what I was picking up on.
The third''s lack of color in the body was what held me up a little but I wasn''t sure if overall it was simply b/c of the way the video was taken (angle of light, angle of stone, etc.) Good to have another set of eyes on it!

Not sure if "pure yellow" is the best descriptor I could come up with tho I did say "true yellow" initially, but hopefully after this exchange, you have a better idea of where we''re aiming.
I suppose we can now add browinsh undertones to the "NOT" on color list.
And it sounds as though a slight orangy hint may be acceptable, based on how we were drawn to the first stone. Who knew! (lol)

vinkalmann:
It''s nice to have that "fresh" look on a ring, but I too can appreciate one that has a "luster" after wear. Perhaps more info on palladium is necessary as I''m not as familiar with it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heat treatment is always permanent so no worries there. Since this is an e-ring stone and sapphires are notorious for all sorts of unscrupulous treatment, I’d get the stone sent to a reputable lab for verification before making the sale final.

Yes, the first sapphire appears to have decent cutting compared to many other options in their inventory. Good cutting will help a stone appear livelier or dull.
Most pear cut stones tend to have the colour concentrate on the tip; this is normal due to how light travels through different path distances.

uniqsol06

Rough_Rock

Chrono,

If I may...what is your background?
You seem to have a really good eye [for color] & have returned questions that have really helped to start moving in the right direction!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is some really good advice in this thread about yellow sapphires, treatment, reputable third party lab certification. The OP of that thread decided in the end to not take our advice, but that''s okay, it''s still a very good thread. Ignore the stuff about chrysoberyl if you''re determined to look for a yellow sapphire. I mentioned that gem to help the OP save money.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this.144060/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alas, I am only an engineer by trade, not a jeweller or anything to do with the gem business. What I lack in paper qualification, I do try to make up by learning as much as I can, viewing as many gemstones in person and continued discussion with other true experts in the business.

uniqsol06

Rough_Rock
tourmaline_lover:
Thank you for the link! I''ve never considered Chrysoberyl but think I will be looking into it as an option.

Chrono:
Ah-ha! Lol... My bf is an engineer also. He, too, picks up on "the little things" that so often make the difference to the big picture!

Regarding post in general:
I''m not one to shy away from trying different sites to see what they have available, so suggestions are appreciated along with the specific information regarding sapphires (& now, it looks, chrysoberyl!).
I definitely want to study all the aspects & details carefully.

Thank you everyone for the continuing information! Every bit does help. PLEASE...keep it coming!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results