shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow, Rose, or White Gold for blue green tourmaline?

picante27

Shiny_Rock
My preloved Afghan Tourmaline arrived yesterday and it is so pretty!
I want to set it with an east to west orientation into a necklace with double claw prongs.
I am inspired by Mrs. Flintstone's amazing necklace shown here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-perry-chen-thank-you-once-again.151761/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-perry-chen-thank-you-once-again.151761/[/URL]

I just can't decide what color gold to use. I saw a previous thread about this issue, and everyone thought it would look best in rose gold.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-have-a-little-teal-stone-please-suggest-how-to-set-it.194847/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-have-a-little-teal-stone-please-suggest-how-to-set-it.194847/[/URL]

I've just always been a white gold/platinum person and don't really know if rose gold would look good with my skin tone (cool). A friend suggested rose gold prongs and white gold chain, but I'm not too sure about the mixed metal look in this situation. Here's the seller's pic of the stone looking pretty with yellow and rose gold:

and here is a pic with the stone next to white gold and platinum that I took yesterday:

Can I get some opinions please? Maybe I should branch out and do rose gold? Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

necklace_inspiration2.jpg

screenshot_2015-09-15-18-34-26_perfectlyclear_1_.jpg

20150917_185651-1_perfectlyclear_1_.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that stone :love: :love: :love:
Is it possible for you to go to a local jeweller to determine what color is best with your skintone. If everything works, I would opt for the warmth of RG. If not, your stone will look equally stunning with platinum.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Acinom about trying it out in person with RG and platinum against your skin. I love RG with that beautiful blue green, but I also think it would look just as good with platinum. You need to pick out the one that you're most comfortable with and will want to wear more often! [emoji4]

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think this is one stone color where you don't have a bad metal choice.

ETA: Left out a word.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I like the platinum.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for going to a store to see how you like everything with your skin tone. I love the stone you purchased! I think it will look great in either color, but platinum would be my pick. :wavey:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Can't go wrong with any choice, but to me it really pops in rose gold.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me personally, it will be white gold as I do not wear yellow or rose gold as they do not flatter my skin tone.

However, looking at the stone alone, I would choose rose gold as it will bring out the green in the stone more.

I would also put the stone in a setting that shows a bit of gold around the stone in order to provide better colour contrast.

DK :))

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses! :wavey:

My coworker is going to bring in her set of bracelets in all three shades of gold for me to try out. Even though I want rose, I have a feeling I'm going to stick with platinum or white gold.
Thanks for the input, it's nice to get everybody's opinions.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1442657209|3929441 said:
For me personally, it will be white gold as I do not wear yellow or rose gold as they do not flatter my skin tone.

However, looking at the stone alone, I would choose rose gold as it will bring out the green in the stone more.

I would also put the stone in a setting that shows a bit of gold around the stone in order to provide better colour contrast.

DK :))

My first thought was to bezel set to hopefully show off the cut corners. Do you think that bezels can darken stones?
This is where the mixed metal question comes up. Would it look odd to have a rose gold bezel with a white chain? In my mind, it should all be one color, but maybe I'm just boring?

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I say since a white metal is your preferred look to go with that. The stone looks so beautifully saturated, that I don't think it needs any "help" from the metal colour, and could stand up to any of the three choices. In other words you can't lose! I would go with what feels most like "you", so that this will become a piece you wear often and really cherish.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree that setting it in rose gold will definitely make the stone 'pop', but unless you go two-tone, the rest of the necklace could end up disappearing on the neckline, and I think in that case, white gold/platinum would look better. Love the colour of your tourmaline by the way, I'm sure it will make a stunning necklace. :)

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Lots of thoughtful responses here, thanks so much!

Does anybody have experience with how a bezel might affect the brightness of a stone?

Would a bezel be a better choice for accentuating those pretty cut corners?

Would the double claw prongs "hide" them?

This is going to be my (early) Christmas present from the hubby (he doesn't know yet :devil: ), so i want to get all the details straight and then contact David Klass about the project

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold will make the color look more saturated, as will high karat yellow. White gold will make it more icy. It depends what you like.

larryfish

Rough_Rock
It would go well with platinum- very pure and shiny natural Pt
See my natural platinum crystal in photos.

img_20150816_150156-1.jpg

img_20150905_084954.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
picante27|1442693425|3929595 said:
Lots of thoughtful responses here, thanks so much!

Does anybody have experience with how a bezel might affect the brightness of a stone?

Would a bezel be a better choice for accentuating those pretty cut corners?

Would the double claw prongs "hide" them?

This is going to be my (early) Christmas present from the hubby (he doesn't know yet :devil: ), so i want to get all the details straight and then contact David Klass about the project

IMHO a bezel runs the risk of softening the sharp corners visually, unless it's done perfectly. The corners of the bezel would have to be as sharply cut as the corners of the stone. I think double claw prongs would be lovely and would accentuate the shape better. Again, just my opinion.

Bezels can darken a stone, and in fact I used one to intentionally darken a rather light aquamarine. An open bezel design (just a bezel around the girdle, leaving the pavilion open) would let more light in than a closed bezel (covering the girdle and pavilion).

picante27

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb, thanks for the insight. I love the more modern, sleek look of the bezel , but I don't want to risk darkening up the stone or softening the corners.

Thanks again for all the great feedback! I am definitely leaning toward white gold or possibly platinum, depending on the price difference. As much as I love the warm color of rose and yellow gold, it would only look good one me during the summer months when I have a bit of a tan, unfortunately.

I think I will ask to have an adjustable chain for this necklace so I can wear it at different lengths, maybe 14, 16, and 18 inches or so.

niter

Rough_Rock
Deathspi said:
I agree that setting it in rose gold will definitely make the stone 'pop', but unless you go two-tone, the rest of the necklace could end up disappearing on the neckline, and I think in that case, white gold/platinum would look better. Love the colour of your tourmaline by the way, I'm sure it will make a stunning necklace. :)

I am rooting for rose gold prongs with platinum chain ;-) Particularly, for many of the reasons you just said. Picante27, you cannot go wrong and I am certain it will be a beautiful piece :love:

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Platinum for me looks good.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I don't think I've ever seen a piece with rose gold prongs and a platinum chain. Niter, do you have any examples?

niter

Rough_Rock
picante27|1442868413|3930319 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a piece with rose gold prongs and a platinum chain.

All the more reason to do it!

picante27|1442868413|3930319 said:
Niter, do you have any examples?

screen_shot_2015-09-22_at_1.png

It's a bit more ornate then your destination but piece is somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum will look great!!
I also like the metal combo Niter just posted as it is done in a subtle way.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
. Niter, thank you for the pic I do like the subtle mixed metal look from your example. I don't know if I'm brave enough to do it, but it is lovely!

niter

Rough_Rock
I think it would look great with your skin tone and style (ahem, your exquisitely unique ring to bring up an example). I also think that it will look fantastic in the white/platinum tones. Win all around and we get to see gorgeous photos :)

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Niter, thank you for the nice compliment and for liking my ring :D

Acinom, I appreciate your input as well! :wavey:

I am 99.9% sure I'll go with platinum at this point.

Originally, I was going to have the chain attached to the pendant, but now I am wondering if there's a way to have the pendant slide on the chain without flipping over, if that makes sense. I really don't want a bail.

If I'm going to invest in a nice platinum chain that is adjustable to a few different lengths, I want to be able to use it with several different pendants.

I was looking at the Brian Gavin Barbara pendant. I had planned to do something like it for my pear cut garnet, but now I'm thinking of this tourmaline. I wonder if there's a way to do this without the bezel, and would that prevent the pendant from flipping over?

Thoughts?

barbara_pendant.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results