shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow oval sapphire (about 3 carats)

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!

I was a previous lurker because ya'll have such beautiful jewelry and I love the pictures! I'm now back because I'm looking for a yellow sapphire to put into a setting I already have. My questions are:

1) roughly how much should a 3 carat yellow oval sapphire cost (doesn't have to be the most perfect, just eye clean and overall good quality)?
2) any advice when it comes to swapping a gemstone in a setting?
3) heated or unheated?
4) I know sapphire is 9/10 on the Moh's scale, have folks on here found that they really are very durable in rings?
5) roughly what is the cost of swapping a the center gemstone into a previous setting? (if I keep the original platinum metal and little pave diamonds) Is it a big process?
5) advice on vendors/listings?

Am I missing anything? Thank you so much gem crew!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
With colored gemstones color is king. So the prices will vary wildly. A pale yellow that is occluded will be markedly cheaper than an unheated vivid yellow that is eye clean with a reputable report. I personally can't begin to give you a price range, as I've never personally shopped for one. I will say my local jeweler charges me $60 to set my stones, but I do live in an affordable area of the world so I'm not sure what you will be told.

As for heated or unheated that is a personal preference too. Neither is wrong, just make sure you get what you pay for. One issue that has recently come under my radar is the need for yellow and pad sapphires to be checked for color stability even if it's unheated.

My advice to you is to do some shopping and come back here and ask the prosumers their advice. Good luck!

landscape

Shiny_Rock
So far, I have not seen a rich yellow sapphire that has not been heated,Maybe a heated yellow sapphire would be better for the setting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results