shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold Ice Skate

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my new 14k yellow gold ice skate. I've always wanted some ice skate jewelry because I've been a fan of the sport since childhood, but could never find anything very nice. I ordered this from my local jeweler. It's 3D, solid gold, and is quite heavy.It came with a very Eighties huge gold bale on the top, so I had it removed and chose this chain to be added at the top of each corner. I think the skate being part of the necklace's sweep is more modern than dangling on a large bale (I hate large bales.)

The skate is 13mm tall by 16mm long, and the whole piece weighs 5g. I'm really pleased with it - it looks just how I wanted.

Now I'm wrestling with whether to get the larger one in white gold with diamonds from Allurez, which is 24mm by 26mm and has diamonds along the blade and the laces (so the diamonds look like eyelets). I was torn between the white and yellow gold - I have a slight preference for white metals, but I also liked the idea of a smaller skate in YG - a little dream that came true! Now I have to decide about the other one.

Here are the photos - sorry they're not the best!

_37001.jpg

_37002.jpg

_37003.jpg

dscn0264.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neck shots:

dscn0270.jpg

dscn0272.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely necklace :love: - the Allurez Skate seems to be on sale :wavey: surely a sign from the gods and it does look super so I say follow your heart

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! :love: Love it on you Jambalaya.

It brings me back to my ice skating days and all those years of Sunday evening figure skating lessons (8-11PM) at Abe Stark rink in Coney Island and afterwards my sister and parents and I would get Nathan's hot dogs and fries on the Coney Island pier.

Enjoy your lovely new pendant! I do also love the first one you shared with us from Allurez. Love the diamonds as the eyelets.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cute!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! I really like that you had the chain attached with those little loops instead of the bale--that really modernizes it. That price is pretty amazing too, especially since it included the chain! :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very pretty--enjoy it!

cheers--Sharon

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene|1460885584|4020353 said:
Lovely necklace :love: - the Allurez Skate seems to be on sale :wavey: surely a sign from the gods and it does look super so I say follow your heart

Thanks, Sphene! It seems so silly to get an ice skate when I've just got one but as you say, the Allurez one does look super, and I have the chance now, so...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1460892159|4020366 said:

It brings me back to my ice skating days and all those years of Sunday evening figure skating lessons (8-11PM) at Abe Stark rink in Coney Island and afterwards my sister and parents and I would get Nathan's hot dogs and fries on the Coney Island pier.

Enjoy your lovely new pendant! I do also love the first one you shared with us from Allurez. Love the diamonds as the eyelets.

Thanks, Missy! That's a wonderful childhood memory you shared, of the Sunday skating. How lovely! I think you should get an ice skate, too.... :naughty:

Just looked up the rink - it still exists! But why are so many rinks only open during winter, even when they're indoors? That's something I've always noticed, and thought well, even if I did live near a rink I could only skate for a few months each year, and I'd want to do it all the time.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1460892671|4020368 said:

Thanks, Niel! I'm definitely loving yellow gold more than I used to.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1460916633|4020483 said:

Same here! Looks like a nice color on you :)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1460898215|4020382 said:
I love it! I really like that you had the chain attached with those little loops instead of the bale--that really modernizes it. That price is pretty amazing too, especially since it included the chain! :appl:

Thanks, Monarch! I know, I thought the price was amazing, too. Oddly, a family member was a little sniffy about it, but he's a sniffy person, so...no surprise, I guess.

For me, doing the chain this way really made the piece. It looked so Eighties before that I'm quite surprised jewelry in that style is still made. I'd have thought they'd make this skate with two loops where they are now, instead of an enormous bale. Anyway, I'm loving it, and thanks for your kind remarks!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1460905750|4020417 said:
HI:

Very pretty--enjoy it!

cheers--Sharon

Thank you Sharon - I will indeed enjoy it; I've wanted a necklace like this for over thirty years! You wait all your life for some nice gold skates and then two arrive at once!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1460916752|4020485 said:
Jambalaya|1460916633|4020483 said:

Same here! Looks like a nice color on you :)

Thank you! I think white metals show up better on me, but I don't care, I'm loving the buttery goodness of the yellow!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!!! :appl: It's really pretty Jambalaya, I like it so much I think you should go for the white gold one too! :halo:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1460916446|4020480 said:

Thanks, Missy! That's a wonderful childhood memory you shared, of the Sunday skating. How lovely! I think you should get an ice skate, too.... :naughty:

Just looked up the rink - it still exists! But why are so many rinks only open during winter, even when they're indoors? That's something I've always noticed, and thought well, even if I did live near a rink I could only skate for a few months each year, and I'd want to do it all the time.

Wow I cannot believe they are still around. Thanks for looking it up Jambalaya. My goodness, my sister and I skated there all through the 70s. That rink has been open forever.

The reason I don't skate anymore is mainly due to my body's rejection of the cold. I am just not a fan of the cold anymore and my Raynaud's on my fingers and toes start blistering (becomes Chilblains) so I avoid the cold if possible. Even with layers and layers of gloves and socks on and while I know they have those heating things you can put inside your gloves and socks I don't love the cold or what it does to my body anymore. That's why I stopped skating and skiing too. But don't feel sorry for me or anything. I have found new activities I enjoy doing very much so all is OK. We adapt to survive and thrive right? It's the best we can do. :halo:

Thank you for sharing your new skating pendant because it does bring up those happy memories I have of skating and my childhood. Hoping you get the other skating necklace too! :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely! I'm so glad you followed your heart and treated yourself!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the pendant is exquisite, Jambalaya. The color of the gold looks wonderful no matter which lighting you photograph it in. Around your neck it is perfect.

I thought it was interesting that you didn't like a bale, however. I had a bale added to a necklace made by Whiteflash that didn't usually have one in its design once (a bellerina pendant). I prefer the look with a bale. Something looks just wrong to me to see a pendant hanging from "wires". I am OCD enough to need it centered on that bale. But you said you wanted a "modern" look; I am old!

Your beautiful necklace is light and airy but buttery all at once. It doesn't need a bale. Wear it in health and happiness!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS-How about matching earrings now?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - I enjoyed reading your recollections - what wonderful memories! BTW I had Raynaud's Syndrome for a year or two before it went away, just as mysteriously as it had come. A very baffling disease! I remember how hard it would be to warm up again after walking a block or two from my car to work in the morning - and I live in California!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this! I love the size on you & the colour of the gold - it's so yummy!

It has reminded me that somewhere in my jewellery box I have a flip-flop pendant that my mother brought me back from Hawaii years ago. It's white gold with a yellow gold flower on the toe post with a small diamond in the center. It's also 3D & the chain threads through the toe post. It's very cute! (And I have never worn it :oops:)

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
It is lovely! I love the yellow gold :dance:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and so sweet at the same time! Love it in yellow gold!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1461130058|4021524 said:
Beautiful and so sweet at the same time! Love it in yellow gold!!

I have noticed that the yellow gold has gotten a huge amount of approval. I think that you made a superb choice when you you got that one, Jambalaya. And I don't think it is only my love of yellow gold that is speaking. I see why white goes well with the ice theme. But that pendant is amazing!

Deb :wavey:

motacilla

Rough_Rock
Your ice skate is beautiful and suits you well! It's so hard to find smaller 3D pendants and charms of quality.
I'm like AGBF though, I tend to like bales, because I want to use my favorite chain with different pendants. But I am really picky about bales and prefer antique ones, good ones are so hard to find.
Yet with your ice skate, a bale would be kinda wrong. Hard to place the bale so the skate would look balanced and it would really need to be a perfect bale, too, so I applaud your choice of removing it!
Oh, and I used to love ice skating as a kid, haven't tried it in years now. Should.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone, for loving my ice skate! I'm tickled by the way it's inspired people to think about going skating! Just think what'll happen if I get the big skate with diamonds....there'll be a PS skating trip!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1460948896|4020661 said:
I love it!!! :appl: It's really pretty Jambalaya, I like it so much I think you should go for the white gold one too! :halo:

Thanks, Junebug! You are quite the enabler! I'm still thinking about the large skate...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1460980921|4020741 said:
Jambalaya|1460916446|4020480 said:

Wow I cannot believe they are still around. Thanks for looking it up Jambalaya. My goodness, my sister and I skated there all through the 70s. That rink has been open forever.

The reason I don't skate anymore is mainly due to my body's rejection of the cold. I am just not a fan of the cold anymore and my Raynaud's on my fingers and toes start blistering (becomes Chilblains) so I avoid the cold if possible. Even with layers and layers of gloves and socks on and while I know they have those heating things you can put inside your gloves and socks I don't love the cold or what it does to my body anymore. That's why I stopped skating and skiing too. But don't feel sorry for me or anything. I have found new activities I enjoy doing very much so all is OK. We adapt to survive and thrive right? It's the best we can do. :halo:

Thank you for sharing your new skating pendant because it does bring up those happy memories I have of skating and my childhood. Hoping you get the other skating necklace too! :appl:

I think I'll have to get the big skate, so you can reminisce some more, Missy!

That rink looks really nice. I like to think of a family like yours skating there and then going out for hotdogs afterward. Nice memory.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1460985393|4020752 said:
It's lovely! I'm so glad you followed your heart and treated yourself!

Thanks, VR! I just thought I'd check with my local jeweler and I didn't think they'd have anything, but they came up with the goods!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1460985585|4020753 said:
I think that the pendant is exquisite, Jambalaya. The color of the gold looks wonderful no matter which lighting you photograph it in. Around your neck it is perfect.

I thought it was interesting that you didn't like a bale, however. I had a bale added to a necklace made by Whiteflash that didn't usually have one in its design once (a bellerina pendant). I prefer the look with a bale. Something looks just wrong to me to see a pendant hanging from "wires". I am OCD enough to need it centered on that bale. But you said you wanted a "modern" look; I am old!

Your beautiful necklace is light and airy but buttery all at once. It doesn't need a bale. Wear it in health and happiness!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

Thank you so much, AGBF! I do love it. I can't believe it's taken me all these years to find some decent skating jewelry! Oh, and by the way - I totally wondered the same thing regarding what you said on the other thread, about whether it was false advertising! I thought, hmm, shouldn't some slim skater-girl in her twenties be wearing a piece like this? Not someone who is older and quite clearly doesn't have a skater's physique? And then I decided that a love of skating is enough. And also I just wear what I love and I don't really care if anyone sees it and thinks it's silly for a non-skater to wear it!

Not all bales are bad...but this one was very big - big enough for the jeweler to use the returned gold to cancel out the cost of the work! Perhaps I used the wrong word when I described this style as "modern." It's just a more delicate look than it had with the large bale on top. I think it competed with the skate. Also, the jeweler wanted me to have a thicker chain but I also felt that that competed with the skate. I wanted the skate to shine on its own, and also I think it looks elegant to be part of the curve of the necklace. But perhaps I've been influenced by all the solitaire DBTY pieces on here, where the diamond is part of the chain rather than hanging from it.

About your suggestion regarding earrings....I would LOVE a pair of yellow gold ice skate earrings, but they really don't exist. I've looked. I have always, always wanted a pair of YG ice skate stud earrings like the ones Jayne Torvill wore throughout her career for luck in the Eighties, but I've never seen anything remotely similar. Initially, I was actually looking for earrings but I had to switch to a necklace, for the simple reason that YG ice skate earrings really don't seem to be a thing - anywhere!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results