shape
carat
color
clarity

Year old cake really is great!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
We had our first anniversary this weekend. Paul planned a trip to Jekyll Island, Georgia. It was a great three day getaway, even if the cold weather followed us to the beach!

So, we packed up our top tier of the wedding cake in a cooler and off we went. Neither of us thought we''d really eat it... more of just taking a bite and saying we participated in the rather odd tradition.

But you know what? That cake is GOOD! I don''t really remember a lot about the taste of it at the wedding, but I''d take a risk and say it was even better a year later. Crazy, but Paul says the same thing.

So, for all of you who are yet to be wed, let me tell you the way we kept the cake super moist inside: my bridesmaids came back to the apartment after the wedding and put the cake in a cake container (like the kind you get at the grocery store with the plastic dome over the top that makes that loud popping sound as you open it from the bottom plate) and put it in the freezer. When we got back from the honeymoon, the cake was frozen solid and I took it out of the freezer and wrapped it over and over in layers and layers of plastic wrap, and then put it back in the cake container and into the freezer. It was my mom''s idea and it worked like a charm. The container took up a lot of room in the freezer, but it was worth it.

What was going to be a one day break from my diet has become a 4 day break; I''ve had cake with my husband every night since Sunday. :) Something about a purple cake just makes me smile!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Anniversary Fisher and I am so glad your cake tasted yummmmy. It made your day even more special.

Linda

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
What a nice anniversary surprise! I happen to think all cake is good all the time, so I doubt ours will make it to our one year!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
well Happy Anniversary!! I''m glad you got a nice little getaway. As for the cake...mine was wonderful at the wedding...not so much on the anniversary. I plastic wrapped it and put it in tupperware in the freezer. I will eat anything sweet and couldnt even take more than 2 bites. How did you save it?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 7:31:38 PM
Author: Sabine
What a nice anniversary surprise! I happen to think all cake is good all the time, so I doubt ours will make it to our one year!

Haha... I can''t tell you how many times I told Paul we were running out of room in the freezer, and we might as well just eat it up! He made me be strong though....
9.gif
It''s cute how he thought the tradition of the first anniversary should be kept.

By the way, I wonder where that tradition came from. It is a bit random!!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 7:40:55 PM
Author: msflutter
well Happy Anniversary!! I''m glad you got a nice little getaway. As for the cake...mine was wonderful at the wedding...not so much on the anniversary. I plastic wrapped it and put it in tupperware in the freezer. I will eat anything sweet and couldnt even take more than 2 bites. How did you save it?
I did basically the same as you. I don''t know, maybe the one type of cake holds up better than another? Ours was white cake on one layer and red velvet on the next, for all tiers.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hehe! This is adorable! Never would think it tastes better, but I will take your word on it :)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
So cute! Happy anniversary! Mine poor cake top only made it to our 1 week anniversary! I have a bit of a cake thing! I love it!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow can''t believe it''s been a year already-that flew by! Congrats on the anniversary-may you have many more. The cake sounds fab also!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a really fun anniversary. Congratulations on your first year together as a married couple!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Happy Anniversary!

We didn''t save our top layer as we got married out of town, then went on our honeymoon and returned home... we couldn''t figure out when we would get it here! My mom suggested spending our first anniversary with her, but we declined!
2.gif
We ate our top layer in our hotel suite between the wedding and leaving for the honeymoon (3 days). It was GOOD. We had planned on ordering another from our baker for the anniversary, but she has shut down her shop and moved so we''d have to track her down again. I''ll probably just order from a local bakery. But there WILL be cake!

The tradition started because wedding cakes used to be fruit cakes and those were a lot easier to preserve. I think you were supposed to eat it at the christening of your 1st child, but things have changed with time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it has been a year already??! It seems like yesterday we were waiting on him to give you that ring!!!
9.gif

Happy anniversary!!!!
36.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Anniversary! We ate our right away
20.gif
Good to know it still tasted great!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
happy anniversary!!!
36.gif

ours tasted great one year later too. i thought for sure it would be gross, but it was surprisingly good!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy 1st Anniversary, Fisher and Paul!!!! Good to know your year old cake was still edible AND tasted good.
36.gif
DH and I threw our top tier away after six months, we both hate leftovers...but out cake maker was one of the secretaries in DH''s office so if we ever want an anniversary cake we''ll just have her make a little two person one for us. No way would we have given up room in our freezer all year for a piece of frozen wedding cake, nope, just couldn''t do it. But your method sounds like it works, and I will always highly recommend any of your ideas as I respect you very much!
36.gif
35.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Sum, I didn''t even realize you''re married now. Talk about getting out of the loop!! When was your big day??? Is there a link to some pictures on here?
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 10:49:01 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Wow, it has been a year already??! It seems like yesterday we were waiting on him to give you that ring!!!
9.gif

Happy anniversary!!!!
36.gif

Haha, Diamond. I still feel like it was like three hours ago that I was waiting, waiting.

Paul just laughs when I remind him about that and says now I''m on to waiting for, expectantly, and talking incessantly, about the adventure of growing a baby. He says I''m always waiting for something! And I am; it''s part of what makes life exciting.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 10:21:10 AM
Author: fisherofmengirly
Sum, I didn''t even realize you''re married now. Talk about getting out of the loop!! When was your big day??? Is there a link to some pictures on here?
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

I think maybe you''ve been busy enjoying married life??? No worries! I got married on 10/06/07. I still don''t have my full photos but here is the thread on the wedding, including pics on the cake!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sumbrides-snapshots-and-pro-teaser-pics.71045/

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Happy anniversary Fisher! Your trip sounds fun. I love the beach in winter.

We took our leftover cake on our honeymoon, and it lasted exactly one day. No way were we waiting a year to polish off our dark chocolate w/raspberry filling goodness!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
HAPPY 1ST ANNIVERSARY!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Happy Anniversary!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

...you guys feel ok? Not green around the gills? Don''t push your luck...ok? Lets get you guys on to the second anni with food well within the expiration dates. Talking about living life on the edge!!

Glad you had a great time! I bet that cake and experience will be fondly remembered. §

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! A year already! I remember being LIWs together not long ago (well I guess it was longer ago than I thought.)

This has nothing to do with cake, but I must know: How did you like Jekyll Island? I am a GA girl myself and went there once when I was 10 or 11 and remembered it being fun, but how is it for a grown-up trip? My husband and I are looking for an anniversary spot, and a local island may be the way to go.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 10:35:17 AM
Author: sumbride

Date: 1/26/2008 10:21:10 AM
Author: fisherofmengirly
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

I think maybe you''ve been busy enjoying married life??? No worries! I got married on 10/06/07. I still don''t have my full photos but here is the thread on the wedding, including pics on the cake!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sumbrides-snapshots-and-pro-teaser-pics.71045/
How pretty those pictures were, Summer!

I couldn''t post on the site, so I''m saying it here: it was a beautiful wedding! Your eyes in the picture where you''re looking down are BEAUTIFUL. Awesome lashes!!!!
9.gif

Congratulations!!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 8:29:38 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Happy Anniversary!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

...you guys feel ok? Not green around the gills? Don''t push your luck...ok? Lets get you guys on to the second anni with food well within the expiration dates. Talking about living life on the edge!!

Glad you had a great time! I bet that cake and experience will be fondly remembered. §
Well, I did have a bad headache for three days this week. Maybe old, moldy cake is to blame!!

Although, Paul easily had 3 times the amount I had and he feels just fine. Hmm. maybe he has a stronger tolerance for old food.

9.gif

**Did your diamond ever just show up? I keep hoping to find a thread about the lost diamond returning back home, to you!!**

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 10:26:21 PM
Author: Fancy605
Wow! A year already! I remember being LIWs together not long ago (well I guess it was longer ago than I thought.)

This has nothing to do with cake, but I must know: How did you like Jekyll Island? I am a GA girl myself and went there once when I was 10 or 11 and remembered it being fun, but how is it for a grown-up trip? My husband and I are looking for an anniversary spot, and a local island may be the way to go.
Fancy,

I LOVED Jekyll. It''s not very commercialized; for the most part, there are just a handful of hotels/inns/resorts on the island. The upside is it''s not crowded, and I can''t imagine it being so in the summer, either.

The downside is that there are not many shops, restraunts, etc. We had to leave the island for most meals because I don''t eat seafood and the majority of the few shops on the island are seafood restraunts (of course, they''d have other items, as well, but the mere scent of shell fish makes me queasy).

The beach is really pretty and while we were there, there were a ton of seashells and the waves were pretty. It was a windy, sort of stormy weekend, so there was more wave action than is typical.

We took pictures; I"ll try to post some of them for you.

I was a little disappointed that the *island* didn''t require a ferry ride to the island. (However, once I realized we had to leave the island to eat, I didn''t mind as much.) I''m used to Catalina Island in California, so this "island" having a bridge and a road surrounded by water and marshlands kind of surprised me. It really is an island, though.

Paul and I drove all over the island while we were there; there is a historic district that you can tour, which is a lot of fun if you like old buildings and remains of that sort. There is also a sea turtle refuge/ museum which was a lot of fun (Paul is a science teacher, so he liked it a little more than I did
9.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results