shape
carat
color
clarity

YAY!!! I''ve made chocolate chip cookies - for the first time ever!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
I am so happy!!

I've always wanted to make a few desserts/ sweets but have stayed away from them for a long time, for fear of putting on weight. Recently, I thought oh heck, I might as well as just make them now or I never will.

I got the recipes for tiramisu from another thread (thanks again ladies) and really really wanted to make it for our dinner party tomorrow but I just couldn't find lady finger biscuits (we live in Singapore and things like that are not easy to get). So, I thought, hmmm: I could try and make scones (from another thread, those look so delicious!!) but scones are more for tea. And I really wanted to have a nice tasty home made dessert to go with my boeuf bourguignon. I decided to look up a few recipes on the 'net. Don't even have a scale or a mixer. I decided to just go ahead anyway. Mixed everything together by hand, added the ingredients, popped a few trial cookies in the oven and voila!! They are soooooo YUMMO!!
18.gif
36.gif

Will try and take pics of the cookies once I've baked them tomorrow. I've already eaten the trial ones before I even thought of starting this thread! They are *that* yummy!
9.gif

One Q though: I've made this huge batch and put them in the fridge. Shall I continue to keep them in the fridge or shall I transfer them to the freezer? If it is the latter, when I bake them tomorrow, will I need to put them straight into the oven from the freezer and if so, how long will they need to bake for? (The ones today, I baked them in a pre-heated oven at 170 degree for 18 minutes). Thanks.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!!

Your enthusiasm made me giggle. It's so nice to see someone excited about chocolate chip cookies.

I'm so jaded...
40.gif

But really, I'm so impressed that you made them without all that equipment!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2009 3:20:50 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Congrats!!!!!

Your enthusiasm made me giggle. It's so nice to see someone excited about chocolate chip cookies.

I'm so jaded...
40.gif

But really, I'm so impressed that you made them without all that equipment!
Ooooh, it's because I've wanted to make them for sooooo looooong!! AND hubby just *LOVES* chocolate chip cookies!! I am so happy that I am able to make what he loves to eat and I *know* that our friends will be estatic!!

It is so funny that one can be so happy with little things like that, but yeah, I still can't believe I made them, without any equipment!
9.gif
It was all based on gut feel and my taste buds.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwww!!!! You''re so cute!!!!

Now the question is, could you post the recipe?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Freke!
9.gif

Here's the recipe I borrowed from Nigella Lawson (pls note as mentioned, that all my measurements were approximate, that I made some adjustments, mixed everything by hand. I also added some extra flour to make the dough a bit more firm):

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
125g butter
125g sugar – brown (added in 2 lots, one at the beginning and one after a while)
Mix together in a mixing bowl, whisk at slow-medium pace

Melt 250g dark chocolate in a bowl over simmering water

Mix 150g all purpose flour with 30g chocolate powder, add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of baking powder. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or real vanilla if you have it).
Pour into the butter mix
Add 1 large egg, cold from the fridge
Add the melted chocolate
Mix together gently
Add crushed walnuts or pecan nuts (optional)
Add 2 large bags of (frozen) chocolate chips, mix gently with a spatula until all incorporated
Use ice-cream scooper, scoop out into 12 scoops
Lay onto tin foil covered tray
Put into fridge for at least 15 minutes
Bake at 170 degree for 18 minutes exactly
Take out of the oven, leave for 5-10 minutes.

ENJOY!! :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!!

Oh these sound yummy!!!! I''m going to have to make them sometime...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 3:20:50 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Congrats!!!!!

Your enthusiasm made me giggle. It''s so nice to see someone excited about chocolate chip cookies.

I''m so jaded...
40.gif

But really, I''m so impressed that you made them without all that equipment!
LOL!

Your cookies sound delish Phoenix! Good for you, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
2.gif

I want some cookies now.
39.gif
And milk, gotta have milk.
18.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done Phoenix! Baking is such a nice hobby to have too!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
My address is....

Yummy! so jealous, apparently chocolate chip cookies aren''t big here yet, I can''t actually find chocolate chips! Oreos it is until you send me some
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, if you are interested in a low fat version later; I will be happy to post my oatmeal banana chocolate chip cookie recipe. heehe

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 1:07:06 PM
Author: Skippy123
Yay, if you are interested in a low fat version later; I will be happy to post my oatmeal banana chocolate chip cookie recipe. heehe

Skippy, I hope you''ll post that recipe; I''m definitely interested in a low fat version!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 1:30:17 PM
Author: CDNinNYC

Skippy, I hope you'll post that recipe; I'm definitely interested in a low fat version!

I posted the recipe here with pictures,
3.gif
. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holiday-cookie-recipes.73268/page-5

Here is the recipe though.

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate chip Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, very soft
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana (1 small/medium)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking sodaand salt.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars. Beat in egg and banana, followed by the vanilla extract. Gradually, on low speed or by hand, add in the flour mixture. Stir in the oats (either whole rolled oats or "quick cooking") and chocolate chips.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 11-14 minutes at 350F, until set and lightly browned. (they took me approx 15-20 mins, depends on your oven I guess)
Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the pan before transfering them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies Weight Watcher points is 2 each
PHX, can't wait to see your pictures
35.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I think I''m gonna try them this afternoon.
18.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 2:21:41 PM
Thanks! I think I'm gonna try them this afternoon.
18.gif
Sure, oh goodie, my hubby and his coworker liked them and of course now I want to make some. hehe Keep me posted.
1.gif
3.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
PHX, you made me laugh. My little sis finally got around to try baking and has already given it up as a hopeless cause!

I love baking, it''s so relaxing to me. Yay for a new hobby! Oh, and don''t worry about gaining weight! Don''t you know the act of baking burns double calories? and anything labeled "taste test" simply devoids the calories.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks a lot, ladies.
20.gif
You have now forced me to go make chocolate chip cookies. The butter is out of the freezer and softening as we speak. Guess I'd better take the time and go to the gym while I wait so I can minimize the damage! LOL!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yum, they sound delicious as do yours Skippy! I''ll have to get baking again!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great minds think alike.
snicker.gif
I was hungry for chocolate chip cookies today too so I "brewed" up some awhile ago. I am so glad you made them for the first time ever and your recipe sounds great. I on the other hand am an old pro at cookie baking but I too try to stay away from them for fear of gaining weight.
3.gif
Enjoy your new found baking skills.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You ladies are so cute! Did I already say I LOVE PS!!
9.gif
. I love that I'm able to share my first cookie baking experience with you !
9.gif

Thanks for the recipe, Skippy. I love anything with cooked bananas so am definitely going to try to make these.

Here is a pic of some of the cookies. They really were yummy. Everyone finished theirs before the cookies had a chance to properly cool down. They all asked for more, except I'd run out!
4.gif

Choco chip cookies.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenix, those look absolutely delicious
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
. I would love to reach right through the computer and take one (or two)
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
You can definitely keep cookie dough in the fridge for a few days with no problem. I wouldn''t freeze them, because then you''ll have to spend all the time defrosting them again.

Congrats on the cookies! Chocolate cookies may be simple, but they''ll always be my favorite cookie to make and eat. Yum
18.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 2:26:19 PM

Thanks! I think I'm gonna try them this afternoon.
18.gif
Sure, oh goodie, my hubby and his coworker liked them and of course now I want to make some. hehe Keep me posted.
1.gif
3.gif

I made them this weekend; they were so good! Thanks again!

Phoenix, those cookies look delicious! I'm gonna try those next.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 9:36:10 AM

Date: 2/28/2009 2:26:19 PM

Thanks! I think I''m gonna try them this afternoon.
18.gif
1.gif
3.gif

I made them this weekend; they were so good! Thanks again!

Phoenix, those cookies look delicious! I''m gonna try those next.
Oh that is great!! Thanks for letting me know and glad you liked them.

PHOENIX, those look yummy, super on the double chocolate. Fresh out of the overn is the BEST, mmmm mmmm good!
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results