shape
carat
color
clarity

YAY! I'm officially shopping for an OEC.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm cheap so I'd like to pay as little as possible. :tongue: But my budget's hard limit is 4000.

I'd prefer something over 7mm ideally but over 6.5 is good if it's the right package.

OEC strongly prefered. Transitionals if they are early ones and have small tables.

Color wise I'm not sure if I'm comfortable to NOP but I am okay down to M.

I will likely be getting the stone rehabbed by Brian Gavin for at least a polish, but likely a small recut if it needs one and is a good candidate for increased pattern symmetry or light return improvement. So a small chip in the girdle is not an automatic disqualification for me.

I am likely to reset anything that I can afford in my price range (unless there is a steal of a deal) so a setting is irrelevant. I want a nice keystone and the rest will come. BUT if it's in a setting so I can wear it short term until I reset I'd like that too.

Wanna play find a stone for Gypsy's RHR?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
how exciting! let the search begin! :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun! I like shopping for something new more than I like getting it. It will be pretty.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!!

I'll poke around for you tomorrow too :bigsmile:

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Good luck!

I don't know much about old cut stones, but I'm sure the super shoppers on PS will find you something that will blow your mind away!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
yay! I'm gonna start looking!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well done, Gypsy! It's going to be fun hunting ....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much guys!!

I know the budget is low... but I have seen things in my parameters so it might just take a little while to find the right diamond.

OH... eyeclean is my preference.

((HUGS))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
have so much fun! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1316842529|3024455 said:
have so much fun! :bigsmile:

Will do honey. THANK YOU!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
HUGE congrats on beginning your hunt!! I knew it wouldn't take long. You have been so incredibly helpful to me, I hope I can repay the favor. I feel like I've seen every OEC for sale in North America over the last few weeks :) I know yours is out there (and mine too, I hope)! Any leads so far?

Here are a couple I really like in that price range (both happen to be from the seller of that first ring):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25ct-Old-...aultDomain_0&hash=item43a97c5a82#ht_500wt_957 Perhaps you could ask for a head on view of the stone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDWARDIAN-1...aultDomain_0&hash=item43a96fc6b8#ht_500wt_957 Pretty setting. This one is quite yellow, but might be pretty. Again, need a head on picture of the stone. Why don't sellers do these automatically?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first one-- mostly because, again-- I'm cheap. Good spread and I like the color. May have a little bit of wonk in the outline... I don't know if that would be eye visible on the hand though. But if it is, wouldn't fly. I have to be careful with that cause I'm not planning on haloing or bezeling the stone. I could rhodium plate the setting for the time being so that's a-okay. I'm not sure about the table though. I was really hoping for a small table in the low fifties or even forties and from the pics this one is looking bigger than that.

Nice option though. Thank you Kennedy. LGK, if you are reading this I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the 1.25 stone in the yellow gold 6 prong setting. Specifically related to the table and the faceting and if you think the outline is a bit flat on one side or not.

QUESTION. I REALLY think I should go for an OEC because I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE with the patterning and the way it reflects light.

THAT SAID... I dig ovals too. And I know of a J color antique oval with a open culet that I've been babysitting for months now. I feel like a hen that's had her egg hatched because it might be possible for me to talk the store down to 4k... but maybe not as it's listed for 6k right now. Should I even try it?

I'm not going to have multiple diamond rings. I'm just not the type. So whatever this center diamond will be... it's very likely it's going to be with me for a considerable time. And I want to make sure I make the right decision (roflmao as my cat Merlin just walked by with some dirty socks in his mouth from the Laundry... that explains so many things that I've found in odd places around the house recently!).

Okay well... indecision over for the night. We have a morning wedding ceremony to attend tomorrow and I've got to get some sleep. Night all. I look forward to reading your suggestions and thoughts tomorrow.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say good luck Gypsy! I`ll keep an eye out for you....

Cachette :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THAT SAID... I dig ovals too. And I know of a J color antique oval with a open culet that I've been babysitting for months now. I feel like a hen that's had her egg hatched because it might be possible for me to talk the store down to 4k... but maybe not as it's listed for 6k right now. Should I even try it?

Definitely try Gypsy...you have nothing to lose and you may just be able to purchase that beauty! You will never know if you do not try.
Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. I am sure you will be getting a gorgeous ring when you decide and I cannot wait to see it!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I'd make an offer on the oval, you just don't see them as often as OECs, I'd find it hard to pass up the opportunity to own one, worst they can say is no!
If not, it's still an exciting hunt for a great OEC :naughty:

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Anything at Jbeg catch your eye? They have a couple pretty around 1 ct cushions..and a OEC, but its not an M or lower..I'd contact them, Im always wondering what they have "out back." Also, love love dreaming of Lang. Im starting to have a diamond problem. I'll live through you.
I also drool over your Aurora, but its out of the cards for me...I just got my e ring recently, but I love a good deal.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1316868737|3024571 said:

Definitely try Gypsy...you have nothing to lose and you may just be able to purchase that beauty! You will never know if you do not try.
Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. I am sure you will be getting a gorgeous ring when you decide and I cannot wait to see it!

What Missy said. You already love the oval ring. It won't hurt to ask.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh yay!!! I am so glad you are on the path to get a gorgeous old cut :) looking forward to seeing what you get!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know zilch about these older cut stones except for what my eye sees and likes. . .

I really like the first one Kennedy posted - I bet it's a pretty diamond. Love the story of the Peacock Store - reminds me of when Tiffany's or the like may have opened. It was probably a first rate stone and still looks beautiful!

You truly owe it to yourself though to shop around and look at EVERYTHING that is available at this time.

Good luck!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1316853190|3024512 said:
I like the first one-- mostly because, again-- I'm cheap. Good spread and I like the color. May have a little bit of wonk in the outline... I don't know if that would be eye visible on the hand though. But if it is, wouldn't fly. I have to be careful with that cause I'm not planning on haloing or bezeling the stone. I could rhodium plate the setting for the time being so that's a-okay. I'm not sure about the table though. I was really hoping for a small table in the low fifties or even forties and from the pics this one is looking bigger than that.

Nice option though. Thank you Kennedy. LGK, if you are reading this I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the 1.25 stone in the yellow gold 6 prong setting. Specifically related to the table and the faceting and if you think the outline is a bit flat on one side or not.

QUESTION. I REALLY think I should go for an OEC because I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE with the patterning and the way it reflects light.

I'm not going to have multiple diamond rings. I'm just not the type. So whatever this center diamond will be... it's very likely it's going to be with me for a considerable time. And I want to make sure I make the right decision (roflmao as my cat Merlin just walked by with some dirty socks in his mouth from the Laundry... that explains so many things that I've found in odd places around the house recently!).

Okay well... indecision over for the night. We have a morning wedding ceremony to attend tomorrow and I've got to get some sleep. Night all. I look forward to reading your suggestions and thoughts tomorrow.

I'd be interested to hear what LGK has to say about that first one, but I think it could be really nice. I actually think the table looks quite small and don't notice anything wonky about the outline. I would ask the seller for a head on pic. Her pics tend to be a bit grainy, but I think it would tell you something. I'd also be curious what the setting look like from the side.

Wow, I've never seen an oval with an open culet. Sounds interesting. Have any pics?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK I'm back from my sister's finally! :rodent: (We saw the satellite fall last night! Either that or the biggest bright orange shooting star I've ever seen- it was at about 12:30 last night! And her new house comes complete with tons of hookers one block over!).

OMG Merlin stealing socks- hilarious! I just found a pair of my panties in the hallway. I didn't put them there but *somebody*- a furry somebody clearly- hauled them out of the dirty clothes and toted them there. Up two flights of stairs. Little fur lunatics!

Anyway. The first one that is in the YG band looks like it's a later OEC, cut very much like the one I wear in my RHR. It does have a biggish table though it's tough to see that in the pics. FWIW, the 1.22 ct OEC I have that has a 60% table, has 60% depth, but is otherwise classic OEC with big facets, slightly imperfect symmetry, and a high crown. The thing is hugely fiery. So you can definitely find OECs with larger tables that are killer cuts; it's hard to tell if this one has a high crown or not, which is what I'd want to see on it. I too prefer smaller tables but I definitely make exceptions to that rule, personally...

I really would want to get a profile shot from the seller. And a totally dead straight on shot. The height of the crown makes all the difference in whether it'd be amazing or a dud- and I just cannot tell from the pics provided! And, I think the outline is OK in terms of roundness but again- tough to assess with the pics. I think the price is good, it seems like, if her color & clarity is near to reality.

The other one definitely looks tinted- O/P might be generous. I don't know if you'd care, Gypsy, but for me that'd be right on the edge of acceptable to me. I like off whites but not definite yellow stones. No head on shot so it's tough to assess the center for darkness- it looks like it might possibly be a little lazy in the center, but that's a total guess. It does have a nice small table and high crown at least- the patterning is not top notch, at least from what you can tell, but not unattractive either.

ETA: I'd stick with an OEC, if that's what you've been lusting after :tongue: If you can't find anything easily, maybe *then* consider the oval?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kennedy how did her color and clarity estimates compare to Neil's assessment on the stone she sent to him for you? Might give us an idea of her assessments of other stones too.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
One thing with ovals is that they usually don't have perfect symmetry. But they are so stunning and look great on the finger.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I can't link it because I'm on my cell right now, but check out item # 220862269860 on eBay, seller is fierygems.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
So exciting!! Are you ok with eBay?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That last one is a find, but I am suspicious of the no reserve auction. And no returns. Too fishy for me, personally.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1316966538|3025063 said:
That last one is a find, but I am suspicious of the no reserve auction. And no returns. Too fishy for me, personally.

I would normally never bid on something with no returns either, Dreamer, and I'm a well seasoned ebayer but their feedback is 100% positive and with 6294 transactions under their belt that's pretty good odds.
I'd bid, but I respect everyone has their boundaries for risk ;))

I would however request better photos, those are too bright, I agree Kennedy...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1316968067|3025093 said:
Dreamer_D|1316966538|3025063 said:

I would normally never bid on something with no returns either, Dreamer, and I'm a well seasoned ebayer but their feedback is 100% positive and with 6294 transactions under their belt that's pretty good odds.
I'd bid, but I respect everyone has their boundaries for risk ;))

I would however request better photos, those are too bright, I agree Kennedy...

I guess I subscribe to the old "diamond sellers are shrewd" and they don't sell things for less than they are worth. But maybe the auction will ramp up into the thousands were it ought to be!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results