shape
carat
color
clarity

Xpost: Fair prices, custom ring? (peridot, green tourmaline)

Sequinhat

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am in the process of planning out a ring for my boyfriend. I went to FGS Gems in Philadelphia looking for a green stone. It came down to a green tourmaline and a peridot (pictured below).

imag4372_1.jpg

I was quoted $587.50 for the green tourmaline (about 3.8 carats?) and $1400 for the 4.31 carat peridot. I was looking around online and the prices seems kind of high? I've never tried making a custom ring before so I don't have any knowledge to go off of. The price for a size 12 (they were saying it would have to be at least 20 pennyweight?) 14k rose gold ring was $1500 (i don't know if that includes the price of labor) that also seems a little pricey. Here is a picture of the ring i want to replicate

screen_shot_2015-10-13_at_2.png

The black part would be a black onyx inlay which I might change into black jade or black druze agate.

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Xpost: Fair prices, custom ring? (peridot, green tourmal

The price for the setting seems reasonable. The price for the tourmaline sounds potentially reasonable depending on the color, which I can't tell too well from the picture. The price for the peridot is NUTS. Unless something very unusual is going on with the color or cut, I wouldn't pay more than maybe $300 for a 4-ct peridot.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BF will not wear this ring everyday or even most of the time, right?

Sequinhat

Rough_Rock

@distracts I went looking around online and saw other prices for peridots... and thought I was definitely being cheated. Is there any was to negotiate on the price? Maybe they made a mistake adding? Any recommendations on where to find other peridots?

@chrono He has already said he would wear it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Neither tourmaline nor peridot can withstand daily or even often wear. Facet abrasion is common. Both are meant to be occasional wear stones only.

Sequinhat

Rough_Rock

@chrono I had thought about that but thought it might do better in a more protected setting like a bezel/ half bezel or just have the stone set very low with prongs. Thoughts? What type of gemstone would you put in there instead? Sapphire or ruby? Any others?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most men are very hands on and even plain metal rings will show a lot of wear and tear. Given the size of the stone, I would not only select a hardier stone like a sapphire but bezel set it. Bezel set only protects the girdle and everything under it, leaving the crown facets still exposed to damage (abrasion and chipping).

Jajabis

Rough_Rock

I'd suggest Chrysoberyl & Sapphires for an everyday ring. You can most certainly find the colors you are looking for between those to types.

I'm guessing you're looking for a square cut?
Find out the dimensions of the two stones you liked so you can find something the right size to compare. While ct weight might vary between different types of stones, dimensions won't.

Goodluck. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results