Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

X-sized diamond now or twice as big in a year?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
If your boyfriend gave you the choice, which would you choose? Both situations are financially responsible choices, but in a year there will be a cash infusion (think guaranteed work bonus in a stable sector) allowing for a diamond double the size in a fully custom setting.

Edit: assume he sees pros and cons of both and is equally open to either, not nudging you in one direction or the other.
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
I would get a plain band now so we could get engaged and start wedding planning, then get the giant one in a year.
 

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Messages
307
I'm not a bigger-is-better kind of person so for me it depends on the sizes in question. 0.25 to 0.5 carat, I would probably wait for the 0.5. 0.75 to 1.5, I'd take the 0.75.
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
amc80|1309364742|2958053 said:
I would get a plain band now so we could get engaged and start wedding planning, then get the giant one in a year.
Haha... what if that were not something he could agree to, for pride reasons?
 

Seattle SC

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jul 27, 2010
Messages
108
Buy now with someone that has a good upgrade policy. I've been here for a little while now, and watching the prices increase as much as they have...oi. A year from now, he might only be able to get something slightly larger than what you can get now if the prices continue to go up in the same trend.
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
Well, my goal is marriage. So if it there was no way to tweak the options I'd choose the smaller ring. Or I'd start planning the wedding anyway without being engaged, so our engagement could be shorter after I had the rock.
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
amc80|1309368858|2958112 said:
Well, my goal is marriage. So if it there was no way to tweak the options I'd choose the smaller ring. Or I'd start planning the wedding anyway without being engaged, so our engagement could be shorter after I had the rock.
Yeah, ring or no, the wedding month/plans will likely be the same. I see what you're saying though, and that's definitely something that makes me want to just forge ahead with the engagement.
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
Seattle SC|1309368442|2958104 said:
Buy now with someone that has a good upgrade policy. I've been here for a little while now, and watching the prices increase as much as they have...oi. A year from now, he might only be able to get something slightly larger than what you can get now if the prices continue to go up in the same trend.
I'm pretty anti-upgrading. The ring he proposes with will be the same one I want to wear forever, barring loss or damage.
 

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
12,111
MissStepcut|1309369425|2958120 said:
amc80|1309368858|2958112 said:
Well, my goal is marriage. So if it there was no way to tweak the options I'd choose the smaller ring. Or I'd start planning the wedding anyway without being engaged, so our engagement could be shorter after I had the rock.
Yeah, ring or no, the wedding month/plans will likely be the same. I see what you're saying though, and that's definitely something that makes me want to just forge ahead with the engagement.
Then I would absolutely wait a year! So what size are we talking anyway?
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
thing2of2|1309376261|2958247 said:
Then I would absolutely wait a year! So what size are we talking anyway?
Yeah that's the other part of me... why be impatient, good things come to those who wait, etc.

1.5 carats is what we'd get today; my personal preferences would top out before the budget in a year. Both emerald cuts (which don't appear to be as sensitive to recent price changes as princesses or rounds?)
 

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Messages
309
I'd wait, because that is pretty much what I'm doing right now.

I'm waiting for my dream ring so that we won't have to upgrade down the road. Otherwise, we could be engaged tomorrow for something more reasonably priced. If you have the patience and are ok with postponing your engagement, then I would suggest taking that option and getting the bigger ring. :))
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
FuturePsyD|1309377552|2958271 said:
I'd wait, because that is pretty much what I'm doing right now.

I'm waiting for my dream ring so that we won't have to upgrade down the road. Otherwise, we could be engaged tomorrow for something more reasonably priced. If you have the patience and are ok with postponing your engagement, then I would suggest taking that option and getting the bigger ring. :))
Can I ask what carat size you are trying to grow your budget to, and if you had an idea of your "dream size" before you started saving?

One of the things that makes me want to just do it is, 1.5 is close to my ideal size anyway, and going bigger would be at least to some extent just to let him show off.
 

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
880
MissStepcut|1309378960|2958287 said:
FuturePsyD|1309377552|2958271 said:
One of the things that makes me want to just do it is, 1.5 is close to my ideal size anyway, and going bigger would be at least to some extent just to let him show off.
LOL!

Seriously though, when do you have to tell people to give them enough time to make your wedding? (And give YOU enough time to plan it without pulling your hair out). That's when I'd get engaged.

If you're concerned about rising diamond prices, he could always buy the best quality diamond he can afford now from a vendor with a good upgrade policy and the two of you could decide closer to the engagement whether to upgrade the stone or just set it in your favorite setting. This way, the upgraded diamond still feels like new because the ring is new and you won't have worn it before.
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
AmeliaG|1309381288|2958318 said:
MissStepcut|1309378960|2958287 said:
One of the things that makes me want to just do it is, 1.5 is close to my ideal size anyway, and going bigger would be at least to some extent just to let him show off.
LOL!

Seriously though, when do you have to tell people to give them enough time to make your wedding? (And give YOU enough time to plan it without pulling your hair out). That's when I'd get engaged.

If you're concerned about rising diamond prices, he could always buy the best quality diamond he can afford now from a vendor with a good upgrade policy and the two of you could decide closer to the engagement whether to upgrade the stone or just set it in your favorite setting. This way, the upgraded diamond still feels like new because the ring is new and you won't have worn it before.
I don't get how this would work: If we buy a diamond today that costs $10k, and the diamond we would buy later costs $35k today, but goes up to $45k... wouldn't we still only get the $10k against the new price? So wouldn't we be better off leaving the $10k sit in the bank and saving up the difference?
 

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
880
MissStepcut|1309381601|2958322 said:
AmeliaG|1309381288|2958318 said:
MissStepcut|1309378960|2958287 said:
One of the things that makes me want to just do it is, 1.5 is close to my ideal size anyway, and going bigger would be at least to some extent just to let him show off.
LOL!

Seriously though, when do you have to tell people to give them enough time to make your wedding? (And give YOU enough time to plan it without pulling your hair out). That's when I'd get engaged.

If you're concerned about rising diamond prices, he could always buy the best quality diamond he can afford now from a vendor with a good upgrade policy and the two of you could decide closer to the engagement whether to upgrade the stone or just set it in your favorite setting. This way, the upgraded diamond still feels like new because the ring is new and you won't have worn it before.
I don't get how this would work: If we buy a diamond today that costs $10k, and the diamond we would buy later costs $35k today, but goes up to $45k... wouldn't we still only get the $10k against the new price? So wouldn't we be better off leaving the $10k sit in the bank and saving up the difference?
Yeah, you're right. I was trying to think out of the box for you but Whiteflash only gives 100% credit on the purchase price.

So, I change my answer. I think you're better off waiting.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
I would get an upgradable diamond now so you have a diamond to wear :)
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
slg47|1309393213|2958516 said:
I would get an upgradable diamond now so you have a diamond to wear :)
I am sorta surprised this is such a popular sentiment. Upgrade the engagement ring before so much as the wedding? That just seems... wrong. Or demanding. I dunno. I am pretty sure my mother would give me a nice long lecture about gratitude and making my mate feel insufficient if she so much caught wind of such a scheme.
 

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Messages
307
MissStepcut|1309393438|2958520 said:
slg47|1309393213|2958516 said:
I would get an upgradable diamond now so you have a diamond to wear :)
I am sorta surprised this is such a popular sentiment. Upgrade the engagement ring before so much as the wedding? That just seems... wrong. Or demanding. I dunno. I am pretty sure my mother would give me a nice long lecture about gratitude and making my mate feel insufficient if she so much caught wind of such a scheme.
Personally I understand your stance against upgrading, but it would be a way for you to have your cake now and eat it too later (or something). What if you started with the size you want but lower color and/or clarity, in the setting you want, and upgraded for color/clarity but not size later? I doubt many people would notice, and even if they did, it might not have the same connotation as an upgrade for size. And you could always wait until after the wedding to upgrade.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
MissStepcut|1309393438|2958520 said:
slg47|1309393213|2958516 said:
I would get an upgradable diamond now so you have a diamond to wear :)
I am sorta surprised this is such a popular sentiment. Upgrade the engagement ring before so much as the wedding? That just seems... wrong. Or demanding. I dunno. I am pretty sure my mother would give me a nice long lecture about gratitude and making my mate feel insufficient if she so much caught wind of such a scheme.
this is pricescope :) there are ladies here who have upgraded multiple times before the wedding
 

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 16, 2010
Messages
317
So you could get engaged now with a 1.5 ct stone (never to be upgraded for sentimental reasons but close to your ideal size anyway), or wait a year and get a 3-ish ct stone, and still have the wedding at the same time regardless of choice? I'd choose the smaller stone now. I'd want to push ahead with wedding planning, AND have a sparkly to look at while doing it, AND you say it's about the right size stone for you. I'd also like to save the money he'd spend on a bigger stone if the only purpose in buying it was for him to show off. How about we show off with a remodeled kitchen? ;-)
 

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
880
OK now I remember the original reason I said get the loose diamond now. You can put all of your money now in the diamond and you've got time to save for an upgrade, save for look at settings that will go with your current stone and see if you're really satisfied with the color/clarity/cut combination. You can even see at home how the size looks on your hand if you get one of those temporary clamp settings (I don't know what they're called but the Erica Grace website uses them in videos for a lot of their loose diamonds) Its kinda like a trial period to see if the diamond is right for you.

This is, of course, assuming that you're OK with upgrading the DIAMOND but don't want to upgrade the RING once you get it which I totally understand. And just getting the diamond means you don't have to announce your engagement until you're ready which can depend on other factors totally unrelated to diamonds.
 

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
5,551
Are you set on a solitaire? What if you get the 1.5ct now, and add another emerald cut on each side as sidestones in an amazing setting in a year's time?

I had to throw that suggestion in, because I am a self proclaimed 3 stone nut :rodent:
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
AmeliaG|1309466534|2959371 said:
OK now I remember the original reason I said get the loose diamond now. You can put all of your money now in the diamond and you've got time to save for an upgrade, save for look at settings that will go with your current stone and see if you're really satisfied with the color/clarity/cut combination. You can even see at home how the size looks on your hand if you get one of those temporary clamp settings (I don't know what they're called but the Erica Grace website uses them in videos for a lot of their loose diamonds) Its kinda like a trial period to see if the diamond is right for you.

This is, of course, assuming that you're OK with upgrading the DIAMOND but don't want to upgrade the RING once you get it which I totally understand. And just getting the diamond means you don't have to announce your engagement until you're ready which can depend on other factors totally unrelated to diamonds.
I actually like this idea a lot and so does BF. Also, it would make it easier to convince him that even with all the budget in the world, the 1.5 carat is really what i want.
 

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
2,091
I can definitely see arguments for both sides. I'll also be a bit anti-PS and say that your engagement ring diamond size probably won't be on your mind after the newness of the engagement wears off. I mean, sure, a 3ct emerald cut would be gorgeous, but if its mainly for showing off and you would be happy with the 1.5 ct, then why not go for the 1.5ct and use the extra money on wedding jewelry? Your ring needs some friends...maybe some custom designed diamond earrings :naughty:

Also, as somebody who had a non-engagement ring looking engagement ring, I can tell you that it can be a hassle working with wedding vendors when they don't see a ring. Too many of them asked to see the ring during our meetings and they seemed to hesitate when they didn't see the traditional diamond ring. Some even suggested I contact them when I was sure I was ready to plan. I worry you might get a similar response if you start planning without a ring. On the other hand, maybe I looked like a crazy because DH was in the UK working on a contract and I did most of the planning by myself. Anyway, just something to think about.
 

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
2,146
Go try on rings!!!

PS tends to have a bit of a "Bigger is Better" mentality, but you may find that once the 3ct rock is on your hand, it could actually feel too big for your lifestyle ( Unless everyone in your circle already has a 3ct ering) and you might actualy be more comfortable with 1.5ct.
then again, the 3ct might be just perfect and you will know that it's worth the wait.

I think you should choose whatever is comfortable and suits your hand.
 

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,674
Considering the way diamond and mounting prices are on the rise, I'd go for the 1.5. There's no guarantee that a year from now you'll still be able to afford the 3ct, even with a nice bonus of cash.
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
So, unless something terrible happens to diamond prices/us, we'll be ordering a lovely new I VS2 in two weeks! We found a stone that we both liked, inside the price window we both were comfortable with, and close to the 8x6 mm size we both thought looked appropriate on my 4-4.5 finger. Excited and nervous :)
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,851
I was surprised with my ring...I would've accepted whatever he chose for me ( and did! ) I would love to say that I hypothetically would've taken whatever, but the truth is that I would probably have waited several months for a larger or better stone. Thankfully my fiance knew what he was doing and I am very happy with my ring. :wavey:
 

kellygold

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
15
MissStepcut|1309836562|2961779 said:
So, unless something terrible happens to diamond prices/us, we'll be ordering a lovely new I VS2 in two weeks! We found a stone that we both liked, inside the price window we both were comfortable with, and close to the 8x6 mm size we both thought looked appropriate on my 4-4.5 finger. Excited and nervous :)
Congrats on finding a diamond!! Is it around the 1.5, then? I think that sounds perfect for your size and your tastes. Can't wait to see it!!!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top