shape
carat
color
clarity

X-sized diamond now or twice as big in a year?

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Glad to see you went ahead and are going to order a stone/ring! I thought that FOR SURE I would want a 3-4 carat blue sapphire and since we have been dating so long, he was more than o.k. with that and was willing to shell out accordingly. However, once we started looking and I started trying on rings, I realized that with my large "vienna sausage" like fingers ( 6 3/4 ring size!) a 3 carat cushion cut sapphire actually looked almost TOO big and even a bit fake. Add to the fact that we are designing a halo setting with a basket, it would just be too much ring, even for my big fingers. I would think that at 4-4.5 1.5 carats in an emerald cut would be just perfect and look amazing on you!

Have fun planning!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen an I colored emerald cut in person? Make DARN SURE a) you're not color sensitive and b) that its at AGS or GIA certified "I". Emeralds show color more than most other cuts (and clarity!)

As to your original question .... I don't know why its more greedy or superficial or less romantic to UPGRADE an engagement ring than it is to PURPOSELY WAIT solely for the purpose of GETTING A BIGGER RING. I suppose it's the publicness of the upgrade rather than the private arrangement of waiting. The way it appears to OTHERS. But ... as far as the reality of the situation -- it's basically the same IMHO.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1311570065|2976151 said:
Have you seen an I colored emerald cut in person? Make DARN SURE a) you're not color sensitive and b) that its at AGS or GIA certified "I". Emeralds show color more than most other cuts (and clarity!)

As to your original question .... I don't know why its more greedy or superficial or less romantic to UPGRADE an engagement ring than it is to PURPOSELY WAIT solely for the purpose of GETTING A BIGGER RING. I suppose it's the publicness of the upgrade rather than the private arrangement of waiting. The way it appears to OTHERS. But ... as far as the reality of the situation -- it's basically the same IMHO.
Well, ultimately decided not to wait, and we bought a diamond this week that I am thrilled about. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking appearances into account, in a couple different senses. First, my SO would be mortified if anyone got the impression he was cheap or without means. Second, I wouldn't want to send the message to his family that I was dissatisfied with what he provided. They're immigrants, and in their culture, their family pays a bride price. I suspect they would take it personally (and they've already weighed in on what would be an acceptable size). Finally, I think there's a pretty clear distinction, in terms of sentimentality, and in terms of his ego, between waiting until we are in a position to afford what we really want and later changing the ring or diamond that he proposed with. At least for us, one doesn't have the emotional baggage that the other one does.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For the record, "suchende" is my old username. Sorry for any confusion the above causes; I was signed in under the old account because I was having trouble signing into this one.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1311574133|2976178 said:
decodelighted|1311570065|2976151 said:

Well, ultimately decided not to wait, and we bought a diamond this week that I am thrilled about. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking appearances into account, in a couple different senses. First, my SO would be mortified if anyone got the impression he was cheap or without means. Second, I wouldn't want to send the message to his family that I was dissatisfied with what he provided. They're immigrants, and in their culture, their family pays a bride price. I suspect they would take it personally (and they've already weighed in on what would be an acceptable size). Finally, I think there's a pretty clear distinction, in terms of sentimentality, and in terms of his ego, between waiting until we are in a position to afford what we really want and later changing the ring or diamond that he proposed with. At least for us, one doesn't have the emotional baggage that the other one does.

Congrats on making a decisions - it'll be beautiful!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on finding your stone!!! Can't wait to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results