shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPSD?? (indecisive girl inside, as well as a poll)

WWPSD

• Not-So-Perfect Inexpensive Stone, Set Now

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Perfect More Expensive Stone, Set Later

Votes: 28 96.6%

• Total voters

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm going to be very vague with this post (but probably so transparent that you'll all roll your eyes at me), but I need some expert advice.

I'm on another kick for a new stone. I have one now that's an amazingly perfect color, but the cut is only so-so (pretty evident window, which is always a big negative for me - I can handle inclusions), HOWEVER it cost next to nothing in the grand scheme of things and with the $$ saved, i can set it almost immediately and have 100% instant gratification. Now on the other hand, I have the chance to buy an amazing precision cut stone with what looks to be the same color quality as what I have. It's a touch bigger (just "bigger" enough) and also has a bit of a weird shape (even though it's precision, bear with me). Of course it's A LOT more expensive, and really what one would expect to pay for this type and perfection of stone. I have the $$ for the stone, but then would have to wait a while for a setting.

So as happy little CS'ers, what would make you happiest? Not-so-perfect inexpensive stone, set now? Or more expensive stone, set later?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No "other" choice? :naughty:

It really all depends on the design - if you have a design for either one nailed down. I am usually very slow in setting stones so you probably can already guess my answer.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I would always go for the stone with better color.

I am guessing that if you settle for the first, less expensive stone, that immediate gratification you are talking about won't last long, and you'll be back on the search for "better" in very short order!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My guess is that the flaws in the current stone will keep on bugging you even after it's set so I'd go for the more expensive stone but wait to set it.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aoife|1312812080|2986397 said:
I would always go for the stone with better color.

I am guessing that if you settle for the first, less expensive stone, that immediate gratification you are talking about won't last long, and you'll be back on the search for "better" in very short order!
That's sort of what I'm thinking too. I absolutely love the flaws in my spinel, I think they make it an even better stone but the silly teeny window irks me. Windows are tough to swallow.

kt

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone above - I think you'll get your quick "fix" but then in end spend again for something better (esp when it's already obvious to you there's something you'd like better!)...I'd rather wait to get what you want exactly.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everyone else that you should get the better stone and wait to set it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ditto, frustrating as the wait is (spoken from experience!).

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto. Don't settle. Life is too short. Get the better stone. It will be worth the wait.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK here's what I'm getting. Now I'm very excited. :D

3966081.jpg

9149578.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't sound like the perfect stone is so perfect if you think the shape is too funky for your taste. Stop with the stepping stones and hold out for that which really makes your heart sing and stops all your pining for the pink dragon perfect stone. With the money you waste on interim purchases trying to satisfy your hunger, you could get to perfection a lot faster if you just held off and saved up for the one that meets all your criteria.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kelpie|1312817678|2986464 said:
It doesn't sound like the perfect stone is so perfect if you think the shape is too funky for your taste. Stop with the stepping stones and hold out for that which really makes your heart sing and stops all your pining for the pink dragon perfect stone. With the money you waste on interim purchases trying to satisfy your hunger, you could get to perfection a lot faster if you just held off and saved up for the one that meets all your criteria.
By funky I meant more not calibrated so I couldn't just run downtown and plop it in a setting like I like to do. But I dont' think it's so odd that it maybe couldn't fit into a modified setting.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only an hour a half to complete a poll and make a decision, eh, "Speedy"? :cheeky: I have been asking myself the same question, so thanks for starting this thread. And Kelpie, your advice resonated with me, even though it was meant for someone else. Athenaworth, I think that's a great looking stone! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it should fit into a standard 4 prong cushion setting.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NKOTB|1312819304|2986487 said:
Only an hour a half to complete a poll and make a decision, eh, "Speedy"? :cheeky: I have been asking myself the same question, so thanks for starting this thread. And Kelpie, your advice resonated with me, even though it was meant for someone else. Athenaworth, I think that's a great looking stone! :appl:
In my defense I had been daydreaming about the other stone all weekend long. I wasn't sure that the seller would accept my offer. But yeah, I'm still speedy. :D

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
"WWPSD," lol, my new slogan :wink2:

glad to see that lovely is going to a good home!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like Arjunajane's Tsavorite.

I really don't think that cut is funky at all. Very lovely, in fact, although definitely in need of a custom setting!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aoife|1312820293|2986501 said:
That looks like Arjunajane's Tsavorite.

I really don't think that cut is funky at all. Very lovely, in fact, although definitely in need of a custom setting!
Good eye! It is her tsav. It's staying in the PS fam.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a pretty stone :love:

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kelpie|1312817678|2986464 said:

Absolutely on the mark! :mrgreen:

Pete

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a blue zircon from Gene and the cut is amazing. You don't actually notice the quirkiness of the cut once set.

In terms of what you should do, well you've made up your mind BUT if you hadn't, I would urge you to get the more expensive stone. If a stone has flaws that annoy you now you'll always regret spending more money on it when it could have gone to something that you would potentially love more.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
If you put it in a pendant, I will love you for life. :devil:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
[quote="NKOTB|1312819304|2986487" And Kelpie, your advice resonated with me, even though it was meant for someone else. Athenaworth, I think that's a great looking stone! :appl:[/quote]
Spoken with the wisdom of someone who has a safe full of unworn "bargains". I can tell you what I do love and wear daily and are my found pink dragons: Carefully selected stones from Gene in bespoke expertly crafted settings. Unfortunately I spent a lot on "starter" gems and jewelry because they seems like such great deals, but someone here (Mrs Salvo?) used to have in her tagline "A deal is only a deal if you're getting exactly what you want."

Athena, if that stone is singing to you, then I think your hearing is just fine. Can I suggest a setting idea? Sounds like you've got a lot of time to get it perfect. I love the idea of the lozenge set east-west flanked by marquise (or faux maquise like below) diamonds forming a cloverish shape. I would cannibalize one of the hundreds of cheap YG marquise 7 stones floating around on ebay hoping to be reincarnated as something beautiful.

marq.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love your tsav! It glows.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wound up not being able to get it. I hope someone else here can

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results