shape
carat
color
clarity

WOW - What a dumb salesperson.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
Here''s a really good reason why us ladies should either be involved or NOT involved in the whole ring process.

My FF said he would love some help for price quotes, etc from a jeweler in Michigan his family is fond of. They''re a great jeweler, huge store, beautiful custom work, and the saleswoman was prompt in getting back to me and very helpful. We go back and forth for a few days and at the end of our emails, I say, "It''s out of my hands now, my FF is taking over and doing the rest of the work!".

So, FF goes with his mom almost six weeks ago to the store while they were having a bridal jewelry show. I was almost 80% positive that he bought a ring that weekend. Then, a few weeks go by and I''m getting antsy. I try to bring the topic up a few weekends ago and my FMIL basically confirms that he has the ring already or will have it shortly. I''m all excited and anxious for him to propose then but still don''t really know what he ended up doing ring-wise (we had also been looking at a local jeweler who quoted a great price, so I wasn''t sure).

Now the good part. I''m reading my email this Monday and an email comes through from the saleswoman, "Sooo, how do you like your rings?! Just making sure they fit okay! Let me know!"

EXCUSE ME!?!??!

I try to be cool and collected and write back that I haven''t received any rings yet, so I''ll pretend that I didn''t see her email. She responds, "SOOO SORRY!!" and then a few minutes later with a backtracking email, "Hi again, I know your FF was here but I don''t really know if he bought anything yet, sorry for asking before I knew, blah blah blah...".

Luckily, she really didn''t ruin any surprises but COME ON!!! Wouldn''t you check with the guy first to make sure he''d already proposed!?!?!!?!

In the end, I was a little mad at first but then realized that since no surprises were ruined or anything, no harm done. And now I''m just curious about the ringS, plural. Hmmmmmm...

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Oops!

Although I think I''d rather accidentally hear that he bought the ring vs. the other kind of salesperson stupidity (when they don''t have a clue what they''re talking about).

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
Hahaha, so right MissKitty!!!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s funny. More than anything else though... what strikes me is that she''s female. Probably doesn''t understand more than most of us do why a guy would withold something like THE RING and torture us with waiting. Still, she REALLY should have followed up with your (soon to be
36.gif
) fiance!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Oy, that''s a good one! But how exciting anyways! Could he have purchased the matching wedding band perhaps?!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Oh that sucks! I almost had a sales lady ruin my proposal too!! Sometimes they just must really not be thinking, its so annoying. You can read about my almost ruined surprise by a sales girl here . Glad that it wasn''t ruined for you!

inloveinpa

Rough_Rock
OneAngryElf:

Wow! This sort of happened to me too! I was helping my FF look into a jeweler that my family has used and liked for years. I had asked what sort of selection they had and chatted via e-mail a couple times. Well a couple months go by and I receive a random e-mail from one of the salespeople saying that my BF came in and was doing some shopping and did we have any questions. At first, I was excited that he was "shopping" or looking or whatever! But then, I became angry that this stupid salesperson is ruining the surprise! I wrote back telling the salesperson that maybe they should contact my BF about any questions he might have, not me. I never got a response back...probably because they felt like such an idiot! LOL. Why do they try to ruin a surprise like this? I think that when we even get a little involved, maybe they assume that we are completely involved in the process.

Good luck and I hope you get your surprise soon!!!! Hopefully they didn''t ruin it too much for you!

1.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
20.gif

Some people, I swear.

Can I ask what jeweler it was? I''m in MI.
2.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I can see how she was not the brightest. But perhaps if he bought it 6 weeks ago... she thought 6 weeks was ample time to wait? Your FMIL kinda gave you the heads up you were looking for... I''d just take this as a point of excitement. You know it is coming!!!!

Best wishes! (by the way.. love your quotes.)
35.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Awww OAE, that sucks. She obviously has no tact or commen sense. As least she didnt say which ring or give details you know?

When I went to get my ring done, my jeweler and I were exchanging funny stories about our brides (im a wedding planner). He said one story you just couldnt help but laugh over....

To give examples of his custom work, he'll show some recent e-rings he's done (did the same thing when we went). We'll he said one time, a girl had come in to look at his work. She was just looking to get ideas. We'll he showed her this ring that she just LOVED! While she was sitting there admiring it, a phone call came in. He answered the phone, and said "Oh hi Alex (dont remember the real name). Yup its finished, and came out great. I have another client of mine, Jennifer looking at it right now". We'll that didnt click with the bf, but when the jeweler hung up he said to his assistant "that was just Alex Smith, hes coming today at 2:00 to pick it up". Turns out, Alex Smith was Jennifer's BF! She had NO idea he was even looking yet, let alone bought something, and had seen flat out what HER ring was! Haha. The good thing is, she liked it at least right!
41.gif

So, at least you didnt see your ring!

PrincessLily2009

Rough_Rock
I would expect someone who works in that industry to be more sensitive to those issues, and I LOVE that she just tried to back-pedal when she realized she had screwed up. Ugh.

Do you mind telling us the name of the Michigan jeweler? I''m from Detroit.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
You would think the store would have rules about that type of thing. Ya know, contact the guy BEFORE congratulating the girl. Sheesh.

Well, on a happy note...YAY FOR YOU!!! That''s so very exciting!!! Do you have any clues about when he''ll do it? Are there any significant dates for you two that are coming up?

Keep us posted!

dunkicks

Rough_Rock
Hahaha, so right MissKitty!!!!!!
25.gif

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
Love the replies. I am so excited about our upcoming engagement that even a little email glitch can''t keep my excitement down. :)

Gypsy - totally agree!!! How can they tease us for so long!??!

Sparkles - I''m totally thinking that may be the "rings"...

Crazy - I can''t believe that salesperson did that!! That''s so much worse. I would have been pretty ticked off had she ruined what ring he bought.

InLove - Totally know what you mean! What are these people thinking!?!?!

Elle and Princess - He went to Tappers. His family LOVES that store and they do some really gorgeous pieces. I still love the store, even though the saleslady made a booboo.

TLH - I''m so not upset. I''m super excited!!! I can''t wait to tell friends about it.

Naked - that''s so crazy. I can''t even imagine!!!

Cushions - His birthday is coming up and our 7 year anniversary (we''re high school sweethearts) is May 18th...but I''m also leaving to study in Israel for a year at the beginning of July. He knows I REALLY wanted to be engaged for at least two months before I left so, I''m hoping it''s before that.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! Thats where we''re getting my ring... Tappers.
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, she must have felt so awkward when she heard that you hadn''t received it yet! It is really silly though to contact the girl without knowing if he''s given it to her.

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
Hahaha, well, Elle, I hope thy don''t have your email. No, I''m just kidding!!! They were a pleasure to work with on my end and my FF would have only bought there if he got a better deal than at the jeweler here. I''m super excited to see what he ended up going with!!

Hopefully, this saleswoman will have just learned her lesson and will know to check with the guy first next time. (Knd of a duh moment.)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
What a stupid thing to do.
20.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angry Elf - love your name! That does suck that she told you. I''m glad that you''re taking it in stride.

Date: 4/23/2009 11:26:47 AM
Author: NakedFinger

When I went to get my ring done, my jeweler and I were exchanging funny stories about our brides (im a wedding planner). He said one story you just couldnt help but laugh over....

To give examples of his custom work, he''ll show some recent e-rings he''s done (did the same thing when we went). We''ll he said one time, a girl had come in to look at his work. She was just looking to get ideas. We''ll he showed her this ring that she just LOVED! While she was sitting there admiring it, a phone call came in. He answered the phone, and said ''Oh hi Alex (dont remember the real name). Yup its finished, and came out great. I have another client of mine, Jennifer looking at it right now''. We''ll that didnt click with the bf, but when the jeweler hung up he said to his assistant ''that was just Alex Smith, hes coming today at 2:00 to pick it up''. Turns out, Alex Smith was Jennifer''s BF! She had NO idea he was even looking yet, let alone bought something, and had seen flat out what HER ring was! Haha. The good thing is, she liked it at least right!
41.gif

This is too funny! Poor jeweller had no idea that they might be together. I''m glad it was just a coincident unlike OAE''s story.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
I think I get what the saleslady was doing - if I read your initial post right. I''ve never heard of a girlfriend helping pick out their engagement ring outside of PS. Now I know many engaged women who help pick out their ring, but the big difference is that these women have already been proposed to... so they''re not waiting for the boyfriend to pop the question.

Now I hope I don''t get stoned for writing this, but I''ve never felt comfortable with the girlfriend being involved in the engagement ring process. At least - nothing beyond looking at different styles to see what she''d like. If the guy is really clueless, or knows she''d probably prefer to pick her own, he should propose sans ring or with a temp. I''ve always felt that the important part of getting engaged was deciding you were ready to get married. Asking your girlfriend for help in picking the ring, but not going the extra step of formalizing the commitment just seems cruel! But what do I know, ever couple is different I suppose.

But back to the main topic, the saleslady probably assumed you were already engaged since you were involved in the process and would get to wear your ring(s) as soon as they were available. In this day and age it is a silly assumption to make, but I think I understand it nonetheless. I am glad she didn''t spoil any surprises for you though.

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
I guess I see where you''re coming from Orchid, but the saleswoman made a bad assumption without thinking. She DID know that I was not going to be involved after our initial contact. I told her that specifically when we had finished emailing.

I guess as far as who picks out the ring and the whole process, my FI (he proposed yesterday, yay!) and I have been together for 7 years, since high school. He likes to do this kind of stuff but wanted me to be happy with the ring and wanted to know what I liked. So, since he was going to shop at this specific jeweler, we decided I would speak to a salesperson there and get ideas of what they had.

I didn''t help pick out the ring but just asked specific questions about a few ring lines they carry and then told the saleswoman what I liked. My FI went to the jeweler and picked out the custom ring he had made.

Every relationship is so different that it doesn''t surprise me that everyone''s ring shopping process is totally different.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Do you have pics of your ring yet?

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
Thanks Orchid! They''re in a thread in LIW called "One Happy Elf!!". :0)

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I found them! Beautiful!!

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
A quick update about this whole situation:

After fiancé proposed, right away I said, "Can I tell you a story now?!" and he said, "The saleswoman, right!?". I was floored that he knew!! Turns out my sis called him as soon as she found out about what this saleswoman did and let him know what happened but said that I didn''t want to say anything just in case he decided to wait longer.

It''s going to end up being one of those funny "before WE got engaged" stories but he was pretty upset that she had contacted me at all without talking to him first.

Luckily, it didn''t change his plans and we''re engaged for a week now.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results