shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you wear this ring???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
OMG... I am in shock that someone would do this to such a beautiful diamond, it actually bought tears to my eyes
39.gif

Here is the reason from the designer..

Designer Wong makes engagement rings that can kill you. The razor-sharp diamond point is set into the ring so it can’t get knocked out when you smash someone’s face in, and the edges of the ring are really soft so it won’t cut into your skin during the pounding. It’s romantic because it means, “Will you marry me” but it also means, “I can’t always be there to protect you so if some jerk won’t stop bothering you, puncture him with this.” The diamond sharp edge will also cut skin down to the bone (with a minimum 1 karat stone - but the larger the better). Or it may simply be used to tag hard surfaces, like cars and windows for S.O.S. messages or that last will and estimate when pen or paper (or lawyers) aren’t conveniently around.

badring.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sick is that???
32.gif

But that is photoshopped, I think. Looks like a Tiffany setting straight off their site.

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
really?? Thank God! I can''t imagine someone actually making a ring like that.
23.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 11:56:01 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
How sick is that???
32.gif

But that is photoshopped, I think. Looks like a Tiffany setting straight off their site.
Yes it is....
38.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing2 has a diamond that is set like that.

And that is totally photoshopped.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
HA oh my! I was gonna say umm that looks like a weapon.. and then I read the description... I guess it''s supposed to be
23.gif

It''s a joke, right??
33.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eeek, I hope no one cares for children with this ring on! I''ve never heard of the idea of diamonds as protection before...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Umm..where did you find this? It is clearly a joke imo.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
this is a joke
20.gif

yup on the photoshop

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen some stones set like this in antique stores and this is a common practice in some cultures.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle, are you sure you''re not confusing rose cuts with upside-down brilliants?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
No. I would definitely hurt myself with that.

belgian_mussels

Shiny_Rock
No, I will never wear it. The design has done the diamond a great disservice. Not a sparkling beauty plus it is dangerous.
33.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I googled it, and I''m actually having a hard time proving that it''s a joke. It looks like this guy designs furniture and other wacky stuff. (That still looks photoshopped to me though....
33.gif
)

http://www.brokenoff.com/thediamondproject.html

EVERYDAY LIFE
Shadi Sharokhi, Ronan and Erwan Bouroliec, and Tobias Wong

New York-based Tobias Wong describes himself as a conceptual artist rather than a traditional furniture designer. His artwork explores the irony of consumerism: selling bags of air labeled “dreams” on the street corner for $1, creating Warhol gift wrap that sold for $7,500 to $25,000 per wrap, and creating knock-off Burberry-patterned pins which were later “knocked off” the following year by Burberry and used in their ad campaigns. Staying true to the roots of the avant-garde mentality, Wong’s take on furniture, or forms questions their accepted function to the point of denial.

What inspires or motivates your designs?
Everyday life, of course, just like everyone else.
How do you maintain your creative edge?
This implies some sort of economic competition. I just make works based on what I think is relevant and interesting in culture today.
What should come first - form or function?
Very little of my work to date relies on either. I believe that neither form nor function should be a priority in today’s design process. For me, for now, it’s all about context.
What are some of the challenges facing modern contemporary furniture designers today?
Your past question is a good example of the challenges we must over come. Form or Function? We should move on from that initial method of thinking. They have been explored and milked. We are too tied down to those notions, amongst others, and hence the creative process cannot break into other realms of design possibilities.
How do your creations break the rules of traditional furniture design?
I’m trying to set new rules, or no rules, and eliminate boundaries that are holding us back. And yes, in order to do so, I must break traditional ones. Though this is not to say that we should not continue to use them. It is important that we do or adapt or understand them if we are to expect design to evolve. And unlike most designers, my work is not intended to dictate what I believe design should be, rather demonstrate other possibilities of what design can be. I want my projects to encourage a new way of thinking/approaching design. It’s that simple.
What types of materials do you like to work with?
Diamonds. All diamonds.
What has been your favorite project?
Oeuvre, the activity, the process, one work doesn’t best represent my ideas, they are a set of conjunctions, the dealer/distributor are the adjectives, the space it inhabits is the nouns, and the collector/consumer are the verbs. It makes up a statement, and this is what I am interested in.
How would you describe your style?
The “last avant-garde”? Just kidding. Unfortunately, I really don’t know how to describe my style. I don’t know many people working in this fashion. Hence, there really isn’t a style category I can apply it to. But if you point a gun to my head and force me to say, I will, “conceptual” but ever so quietly.
text by Hilary Latos

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOTHING EVER surprises me in this world! Ridiculous!

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
so is this real??? He said he works with all diamond
32.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 8:40:27 AM
Author: gorri8
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
so is this real??? He said he works with all diamond
32.gif
gorri. He''s an artist. He makes things that are satirical and thought provoking (at least to him). Yes, it looks like it''s real. AS AN ART PIECE. Not something meant to actually be worn. At least that''s what I''ve gathered from some brief internet research.

Come on - the man made capsules for sparkly poo.
20.gif
He''s a wacky artist/designer, LOL.

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
Not very nice at all! I don''t appreciate this type of art.
38.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Me either, LOL.

More on the guy:

Tobias Wong has transformed original Warhol screenprints into gift wrap, disguised a lowly coffee cup as an opulent crystal-cut glass and made sparkly pills that let you shit glitter. This Brooklyn-based paraconceptual artist places absurd, clever spins on the notion of everyday objects and the consumer experience—"I'm trying to expose leverage between art and design," he says.

http://www.weeklydig.com/department-commerce/style/200709/tobias-wong

He's also made crystaline dixie cups.
20.gif

ETA: From Wikipedia.

Tobi Wong
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Tobi wong)
Jump to: navigation, search
Born in Vancouver in 1974, Tobi Wong moved to New York to study art and become an artist and a designer. His conceptual art pieces borrow forms and ideas from contemporary industrial design and luxury objects. The presentation of his work in the context of design stores and industry magazines challenges his audience and criticizes the consumer products of his generation.

Wong studied art at Cooper Union School of Art where he graduated in sculpture. While in school he became known for his personal style and his clear message, not to mention the infamous neon sign in his East Village apartment window. Typical for his early work are installations with a large number of the same industrial product which he would stack or assemble to create architectural shapes. Other presentations are more conceptual and question the meaning of how we consume or what we consume today. In collaboration with the designer Philipp Mohr he created the "hidden diamond ring" which features a diamond on the inside of a wedding band. Together with Ken Courtney of Ju$t Another Rich Kid he launched a collection of luxury products cast in gold. One of his most acclaimed designs is his "ballistic rose", a rose pin made of black bullet proof material. It has been included in the design collection at MoMA.

In 2007 Wong arranged for a colleague to assume his identity for a presentation at Core77's Offsite speaker series. Rama Chorpash, designer and Chair of the Undergraduate Industrial Design Department at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia, stayed in character throughout the presentation and during a subsequent question and answer period.[1] The ruse is consistent with Wong's subversive design oeuvre.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh, NOW I get it, he''s trying to expose leverage behind art and design. Of COURSE. In that case I don''t think it''s a ridiculous waste of time and money.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
This guy''s a weenie who thinks he''s lofty and brilliant.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear it on my way to an appointment with someone who would put the stone in another setting. If Leon Mege has nightmares, that picture could be one of them.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Ouch....
23.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks painful!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I kinda like the idea of sparkly poo!!!

31.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 10:15:45 PM
Author: EricaR
I kinda like the idea of sparkly poo!!!

31.gif
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Haha I want one! This is funny. I''ve seen that guys site before - I totally want a solitaire wall hanging.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 1:19:24 AM
Author: glitterata
kcoursolle, are you sure you''re not confusing rose cuts with upside-down brilliants?
Yes, I''m sure! I''ve seen beautiful modern cut diamonds...set face down...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results