shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you want full finger coverage from a solitaire?

Do you want a diamond solitaire that provides full finger coverage?

• A. Duh! More is always better!

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • B. No. There is such a thing as too big.

Votes: 77 74.8%

• Total voters

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if I were forced to, I’d be prepared to make the sacrifice :lol:

Seriously, tho, having fat fingers, I think a huge boulder wouldn’t look good on me. From a practical point of view, I think a 3ct round would be as big as I’d go, and a 10 x 8mm oval.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I see round brilliants of 3 carat and over as too deep of the top of the finger, not because of setting, but depth whole diamond, and that they only look good on very few women, those with long fingers. I have short fingers so would not suit me.

Last edited:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe w an E/W stone but a round or square that size would be so tall like other posters said. I, too, would be ready to make the sacrifice should a giant ring fall in my lap though.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe w an E/W stone but a round or square that size would be so tall like other posters said. I, too, would be ready to make the sacrifice should a giant ring fall in my lap though.

Ack my phone deleted the smileys at the end
:D =P :D

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately for my wallet I don't really like gigantic stones. I remember seeing a woman with a 10 ct RB and thinking that it looked like a doorknob in my grandmother's house. I enjoy wearing my jewelry when I'm out and about, and stones that large attract too much attention and due to experiences in my youth I prefer to fly under the radar.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a little side finger showing. But I would like more coverage with the stone. An big fat emerald would be just the thing.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I believe a diamond can look fantastic no matter the proportion or finger coverage... but I sure have liked watching this thread and the pictures so many are sharing!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't tried on a stone with full finger coverage so not sure how I'd like it but the comments about depth are making me think about comfort aspect of such large stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to remember Dancing Fire's ' formula' for the appropriate carat weight.....Maybe he'll share his words of wisdom with us once again on that matter.:lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not say no to the Krupp or Grace Kelly's EC.

DK :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to remember Dancing Fire's ' formula' for the appropriate carat weight.....Maybe he'll share his words of wisdom with us once again on that matter.:lol:

I *think* it had something to do with age and years married :lol:

In that case I should have a hundred carat ring. And I think @Dancing Fire should contribute to that ring fund for me and all the PSers who want their rightful and well deserved rings he says we should have ...don't y'all agree?

likeit.gif
ringyroses.gif

....yoohoo Dancing Fire.

1237397y6kr97ild4.gif

though I have strong suspicion that will happen when

mightfly.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* it had something to do with age and years married :lol:

In that case I should have a hundred carat ring. And I think @Dancing Fire should contribute to that ring fund for me and all the PSers who want their rightful and well deserved rings he says we should have ...don't y'all agree?

likeit.gif
ringyroses.gif

....yoohoo Dancing Fire.

1237397y6kr97ild4.gif

though I have strong suspicion that will happen when

I believe he should too after all, those are his rules and as such, it's only proper that he, DF, should make sure his PS GF's are sporting the appropriate carat sizes.
creepaway3.gif

trampo.gif

I therefore, should also be entitled to around 100 carats and DF must pay. But I'm sure he'd scram at the prospect.
runawaysad.gif

But as you say,
mightfly.gif

And I think we'd be in for a very long wait.
respect_01.gif

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love most all stones that are big enough to cover the finger except for pears and rounds. I think rounds look like buttons on the hand and lose the look of adornment.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe an east/west marquise???? I think a really good sized solitaire of say 3ctw, with a commensurate eternity would combined do the trick.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a halo or a cluster ring? Yes. Solitaire? No.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8D3B3FDF-2AC4-4269-B496-18B007C11548.jpeg

I tried on this 5.xx ct at Shreveport, Crump, and Low in Boston. Way too big for my taste, but I think I could sport a 2.5-3ct for sure!

Looks very well on your lovely hands. You could rock it!

Oddly enough I did not think my 5 carat radiant (with 1.2 ctw side traps) was OTT for finger coverage, but I tried on 4-7ctw mrb's, and they were. I also think a 3 ctw solitaire mrb would be my max.

cheers--Sharon

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe an east/west marquise???? I think a really good sized solitaire of say 3ctw, with a commensurate eternity would combined do the trick.

a large E/W stone would be so neat. off-topic but i saw a beautiful e/w marquise eternity on ebay...i used to not like marquise shaped stones until i saw how creative you can get with them :mrgreen:

upload_2018-4-3_9-14-3.png

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I find the huge stones a tad gauche - but not because of the size, but of the comprises often made so the stone could be as large as possible (cut, colour, etc.)

On one hand, I think it's a bit much - but on the other hand, my avatar is Liz Taylor, so I'm obviously undecided!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have cocktail rings that cover my entire width of my ring or middle finger on my left hand, just not a solitaire.

DK :))

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tried on this 7 carat while in Cape Town. If it was viewed straight on, it was edge to edge full finger coverage. It's a crappy photo - taken by my husband - who was completely horrified when I said I would be extremely happy to rock a rock this big, bahahhahahha. Poor man. Love him.

9ct Diamond.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tried on this 7 carat while in Cape Town. If it was viewed straight on, it was edge to edge full finger coverage. It's a crappy photo - taken by my husband - who was completely horrified when I said I would be extremely happy to rock a rock this big, bahahhahahha. Poor man. Love him.

9ct Diamond.jpg

This looks bigger than 7 carats on you IMO. That is one big round diamond. I could imagine your dh's face when you told him you'd be happy to rock this. Because it is probably the expression my dh *used* to get when I was looking at big diamonds. However now he is a pro. Straight face and calm expression no matter the size of the diamonds I try on.:whistle: He's a trooper.:lol:

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This looks bigger than 7 carats on you IMO. That is one big round diamond. I could imagine your dh's face when you told him you'd be happy to rock this. Because it is probably the expression my dh *used* to get when I was looking at big diamonds. However now he is a pro. Straight face and calm expression no matter the size of the diamonds I try on.:whistle: He's a trooper.:lol:

Yeah - we've been married 19 years, you'd think he'd be used to me and my bling by now but this one really shook him up. But... the upside is we are visiting New York at the end of September/early October and I've mentioned to him that this would be the ideal time for him to procure a 3-4 carat stone in advance of our 20th wedding anniversary - this should be a lot less costly than the 7 carat so he is quite relieved, I think. Reverse psychology. :Up_to_something:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah - we've been married 19 years, you'd think he'd be used to me and my bling by now but this one really shook him up. But... the upside is we are visiting New York at the end of September/early October and I've mentioned to him that this would be the ideal time for him to procure a 3-4 carat stone in advance of our 20th wedding anniversary - this should be a lot less costly than the 7 carat so he is quite relieved, I think. Reverse psychology. :Up_to_something:

Yesssss! You go girl.:appl:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hehe!;)):dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results