shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you want a Lightbox engagement ring?

Would you want a Lightbox engagement ring?

• Yes

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 59.0%

• Total voters

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Would you want to recieve an engagement ring made with Lightbox diamond(s)?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should run the same poll in RockyTalky - I bet you would get a different response :)

Neil Beaty, a respected appriaser who posts here mentioned on FB that he is already seeing LGD's offered as engagement rings without declaration (which makes them fakes) - the result as I recollect was at least one dissolved engagement!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably not as an original engagement ring unless they told me it was lab made, but as an alternative E-ring for fun and to change up every now and then, YOU BET!! I sure wouldn't give up my natural diamonds and replace them with lab ones to save money.

I am sentimentally attached to my natural mined diamonds. They have many happy memories attached to them!

Last edited:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I was a young person getting married - I would be 100% ok with getting one as long as they told me ahead of time though! I would not want to be lied to and told it was a mined diamond and later find out it was a lab.
I would MUCH rather have a 2 ct lab stone than a .75 ct mined if I was a young person getting a start in life and wanted to have money for a down payment and a wedding.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve chosen a lab diamond (Lightbox, specifically) for mine. It’s a financial decision for one, but also I don’t really care that much. I couldn’t get past the “mind clean” aspect of the Moissanite option though. I feel like lab diamonds are a happy medium, if that makes sense? I love all sparkles, and enjoy everyone’s posts and different tastes so definitely no judgement! To each their own, as my Nanny used to say.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
If cost was a major factor, I’d be okay with it. I’m kind of a numbers nerd so I like knowing all the stats on my diamond- the fact that Lightbox diamonds don’t include a detailed cert has been my biggest hesitation to order one.
I do have a 1 carat Lightbox pendant that is very nice, but since it’s on a necklace, I’m not constantly examining it like my rings.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sure that people who don't do their research as fat as cut, clarity and carat weight go would be fine with a Lightbox diamond. For me, knowing the importance of these things would make it a no-go, unless I could have them custom cut to my preferences.

Personally, lab diamonds in general aren’t mind clean for me, especially for an engagement ring. But, if I were ok with lab, I would be totally fine and happy with lightbox!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
except we're not allowed to run that type of poll in RockyTalky... :):):)
A poll like this:
Would you want to receive an engagement ring with a natural or lab grown diamond?
AND, so as not to be whatever:
Would you want to give an engagement ring with a natural or lab grown diamond?

A poll like this:
Would you want to receive an engagement ring with a natural or lab grown diamond?
AND, so as not to be whatever:
Would you want to give an engagement ring with a natural or lab grown diamond?

I read the question differently:

Would you like to receive an engagement ring made with a Lightbox lab diamond in specific, rather than a non-Lightbox lab (or mined) diamond.

Which seems more appropriate for this forum! For example, my e-ring has lab diamonds (from a different vendor), so I obviously don’t object to the material for bridal jewelry. But personally I would not be interested in a LB e-ring, mostly because I want control over the cut, color, precise carat weight, etc., which isn’t possible with LB.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
If I was a young person getting married - I would be 100% ok with getting one as long as they told me ahead of time though! I would not want to be lied to and told it was a mined diamond and later find out it was a lab.
I would MUCH rather have a 2 ct lab stone than a .75 ct mined if I was a young person getting a start in life and wanted to have money for a down payment and a wedding.

Totally! Younger me would have jumped at a 2 carat Lightbox. Younger me upgraded an earth grown one carat for an EG two carat, then traded the EG two carat for a smaller EG diamond with better quality. If LB had been around I still would have gotten a diamond with better quality later in life but I would not have had to trade in the original e-ring if it had come from LB.

Do young people who receive diamond e-rings assume the diamonds are earth grown? I can see 30-somethings making that assumption but maybe not young 20-somethings. If Mr. Crutches had proposed to me with a sapphire I would not have thought to ask, nor would I have cared, if it was a lab sapphire, so long as it was a sapphire and not a simulant.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing wrong with an engagement ring having a lab diamond, or Moissanite or CZ or even glass as long as the recipient is “on board” with the choice.
People choose an engagement ring based on a range of factors including personal taste and finances.
What is NOT ok is dishonesty or concealment when it comes to the engagement ring. Sooner or later the truth comes out and it never ends well in such situations. You should not deceive or mislead your betrothed, such a loss of trust is hard to recover from.
Personally I am more concerned when people feel obligated to go into debt to have a fancy ring to show family and friends. If you want a lovely white sparkly gem for your ring and a lab diamond is the more economical choice and both you and your partner are happy with this choice, go for it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I’m going to say no, but only because for a piece as special as an e- ring I would want to pick the stone. It’s probably all in the head but choosing a diamond is part of the process for me for an engagement.

That said, I’m really impressed with some of the LB diamonds PS’ers have shared.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t have cared. My original engagement ring was CZ. I knew about it. Still married and he’s bought me a lot of diamonds since, both earth and lab.

sometimes I think a little too much emphasis is put on the ring because it’s an easy tangible object that people can interpret and judge, whereas a relationship is not. In the end, it’s just a ring, and what it’s made of doesn’t change the symbol.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
There is nothing wrong with an engagement ring having a lab diamond, or Moissanite or CZ or even glass as long as the recipient is “on board” with the choice.
People choose an engagement ring based on a range of factors including personal taste and finances.
What is NOT ok is dishonesty or concealment when it comes to the engagement ring. Sooner or later the truth comes out and it never ends well in such situations. You should not deceive or mislead your betrothed, such a loss of trust is hard to recover from.
Personally I am more concerned when people feel obligated to go into debt to have a fancy ring to show family and friends. If you want a lovely white sparkly gem for your ring and a lab diamond is the more economical choice and both you and your partner are happy with this choice, go for it!

Agree… just wondering if younger people were to present LGDs as “diamonds” during a proposal, not saying they are earth grown but not saying they are lab grown, would younger recipients perceive that as lying? I speculate that recipients in their late 20’s or early 30’s and older would think that was dishonest but am not so sure about early-mid twenties. Maybe another poll?

@Daisys and Diamonds :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: Let’s both hold out our hands and hope diamonds fall on them!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Agree… just wondering if younger people were to present LGDs as “diamonds” during a proposal, not saying they are earth grown but not saying they are lab grown, would younger recipients perceive that as lying? I speculate that recipients in their late 20’s or early 30’s and older would think that was dishonest but am not so sure about early-mid twenties. Maybe another poll?

@Daisys and Diamonds :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: Let’s both hold out our hands and hope diamonds fall on them!

My friend group would not perceive that as a mistruth.

The same way a lab sapphire is a sapphire, they just wouldn't know or care. Many people don't even know that mined sapphires can be certified, heat or no heat, etc, they just don't care and I don't think the vast majority of diamond buyers truly do either.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I guess if the question is actually "would you feel less than if you received a Lightbox diamond for an engagement ring without knowing it's lab grown or agreeing to a lab grown stone?" my answer is no. It's not that deep for me; I just wanted a diamond.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if the option had been available a few years ago i would have seriously considered it. i don't think it should be sprung on anyone as a surprise, but if we picked it out together? sure.

This is a super interesting Q! I asked a few friends and from my sample size of 5 I got (paraphrased):

- what’s the difference? It’s all the same but I’d just get annoyed cos you know i don’t want a diamond, if there’s a stone it better be Alexandrite (her name is Alexandra) - mid 20s

- I get that lab grown diamonds are the same as out of the ground and all, but they’re not the same to me. I’d rather not have a ring at all. - mid 30s

- na, it’s a diamond. I don’t think it matters. Not lying to me. Besides, lab grown means he can go bigger, right? - late 20s

- I’d be kind of upset. Seems deceptive. This is my one piece of jewelry, I want a mined diamond for it. - late 20s.

- manmade or natural, all the same. Not like it’s a fake stone. - mid 20s.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. No lightbox or any other lab grown stones either.

I'd be find with lgd earrings, pendants or other items as long as I knew what I was getting.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't stay off this thread
its true, id take a nice piece of cut glass / a child's ring from a toy shop even if it was an ER

Because im not engaged and i view the sentimentality of an ER far over it's financial value

....but so long as it wasn't pretending to be something it wasn't

I wouldn't want a cz ring

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results