shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you still recommend an independent appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
I just learned that the jeweler we are purchasing from is going to provide us with an appraisal (at no cost) that will contain all the diamond and setting information (including the Sarin information). They are also going to take a picture of the finished product. The replacement value they will put on the appraisal is what we paid plus 10-20% to account for possible price fluctuation over the next year. They also said I could call yearly and if the value changes, they will provide me with another appraisal at no cost.

I then called my insurance company to see if they needed an independent appraisal or would they accept the jeweler's appraisal. They said that the jeweler's appraisal would do.

Since the stone has a GIA cert and is laser inscribed, I am pretty confident that I can tell (with a microscope or loupe) whether the stone we bought is the stone we receive.

Based on these facts, is there any additional benefit by getting an independent appraisal?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
>>Would you still recommend an independent appraisal?

I wouldn't :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/5/2002 8:14:34 AM

>>Would you still recommend an independent appraisal?

I wouldn't :)
----------------

Me neither - especially if you are comfortable w/ your jeweler.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Novice, as an independent appraiser, the two benefits which come to my mind are that you would be getting a second opinion as to (1) whether it is a good stone, and (2) whether you got a fair price on it.

If you feel comfortable in regards to these two questions, then I would say the jeweler has you covered.

Rich

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
----------------------
(1) whether it is a good stone, and (2) whether you got a fair price on it.
----------------------

I think it is a good stone and I think we got a fair price. But, what is your opinion?

The stone is a Lazare Kaplan diamond, 0.90 ct D VS2, has a GIA cert where polish and symmetry are excellent and there is no flourescence.

Based on a Sarin analysis, Table % 55.3, Crown ang 34.7, Pav ang 40.9, Pav depth 43.2%, girdle thickness 1.4%, Total Depth 60.8%, Diameter range 6.24-6.30.

The price paid is $6500. :wavey:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Novice, your diamond sounds like an absolute screamer. A ball of fire. A stone that can be spotted twenty feet across a crowded room. A diamond that talks to ya...

Very fair price, too.

Congratulations.

That will be $75. Just send a check to...

Rich

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Richard -

Although I thought we got a pretty good deal, it is always nice to hear it from an expert.:appl:

Thanks for all your help.

nihao

Rough_Rock
Richard,

Do you think the price is reasonable for these two?
1. 0.59ct VS2, F color, EGL laser inscribed, for $2126
2. 0.70 SI1, F color EGL laser inscribed, for $2900

Which one is better.

Thanks for your opinion.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nihao.

It's impossible to tell because there is no cut information. Cut dramatically affects price.

If the two stones have equal cuts, class 2B or better, I feel the 0.70 is a better value for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results