shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you still buy a halo

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am considering resetting my e-ring and trying to gauge the style of the new setting. My diamond is approx 1.5ct and I was wondering whether halos are still in or getting somewhat outdated.

When I got engaged several years ago, my girlfriends were all mad for Ritani and Tacori halos but I have not seen them mentioned on this forum for quite a while.

Would you say they are outdated or still in?

Alternatively I could do a three stone, which is a very classic option

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wonder how these halo styles stand up over the years, not many people come back and let us know if they do! (I mean in terms of how robust they are, if diamonds fall out etc).

I think I’m just very practical about jewellery and also very biased- my ER is a 3 stone and it has served me well, smart and casual for 25 years!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering resetting my e-ring and trying to gauge the style of the new setting. My diamond is approx 1.5ct and I was wondering whether halos are still in or getting somewhat outdated.

When I got engaged several years ago, my girlfriends were all mad for Ritani and Tacori halos but I have not seen them mentioned on this forum for quite a while.

Get what you love! Confidence and happiness are always “in.”

And to answer your question more specifically, I think yes halos are still popular.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I think halos will always be in style. There are some beautiful halos in this very recent thread, for example, especially @nala's gorgeous halo.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I would not get the price scope staple from 5 years ago type halo.

However there are maaany types of halos that can be made from any era and I would not hesitate to set a stone that way. But a thin HW style micropave? Yes a bit of a yawn atm

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love halos, and shall continue to have rings made with a halo, as there are many variations of halos!

DK :))

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I wouldn’t get a halo, I think the 3 stone choice would be more timeless. I’m regretting getting pave on my ER shank, I just wish it was a plain setting so it’s more of a classic look.

zbajwa00

Rough_Rock

I think halo's are outdated but this should really be about your own preference. If you like the halo! I say go for it. I was crazy about yellow gold 5 years ago so I had my e-ring set in gold and now I just don't like it and am going to re-set in platinum. Its hard to predict style - so if in doubt go classic.

I love halos, but I don’t think I would ever get one for an ering because I don’t love them enough, if you know what I mean? I’m boring that way anyway - I want the most inoffensive plain practical thin solitaire setting and put alllll my money into the center stone! However I’m definitely open to a halo - or even a double halo - for my colored stone rings or my RHR!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I would never get a halo, because I could never get a different style of setting after the halo, because of DSS (:. Any setting change out of the halo (excluding a even bigger halo) would make you have to adjust to the smaller size. But if this your forever setting why not!
I personally would go for a three stone as it’s such a beautiful classic style.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I wouldn’t get a halo, I think the 3 stone choice would be more timeless. I’m regretting getting pave on my ER shank, I just wish it was a plain setting so it’s more of a classic look.

I smiled when I saw this because I was
Wondering if I should have gotten some pave on the shank! Currently looking at bands.

OP I sometimes find my solitaires boring and think I would like a halo but more of an Art Deco type halo which others may think is more suited for a right hand. If you think of a 3 stone as classic I would gravitate towards my own definition of classic if classic is what I want.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with the 3 stone. If you decide to change it up later you will have a pair of earrings from the side stones.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

its your ring
dont worry about what's in fashion
do what you would like to enjoy looking at - you will be the one looking at it 99% of the time
i don't think halos will ever be out of fashion

im not a halo girl myself (and not just because ive never been engaged :lol-2: )
but you get what you love and forsee loving for a long time

i still can't totally get my head around changing out ERs but then i don't live in the US

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i vote for a 3 stone. for numerous reasons ...

aesthetically, i think they offer a beautiful, classic, elegant look, they do not require babying the way a halo/micro halo would need. during these pandemic times, a halo/micro halo provides more surface area & nooks an cranny to harbor bacteria and virus

but i love large antique(y) cluster/halos, art deco octagonal air gap halos, color gem halos ... very much. im not against halos

i understand it is very personal. just because it isn't right for me doesn't mean it isn't right for you

Last edited:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would say you should go with what you love. If you love a halo then you should get one. A well done halo is just amazing! And besides at some point everything becomes dated and then eventually comes back around in style. But if it helps I see plenty of halos of all kinds. I don't think they will ever go away.

But if you want that 3 stone more then get that. A 3 stone ring is also gorgeous! I just got one for myself and am really thrilled with it. I never thought i would be a 3 stone girl but here I am. Perfectly splendid!

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I'm not huge on halos either, but I think some stones and styles benefit from it.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I would not get the price scope staple from 5 years ago type halo.

However there are maaany types of halos that can be made from any era and I would not hesitate to set a stone that way. But a thin HW style micropave? Yes a bit of a yawn atm

Ok I wasn't here 5 years ago so im curious what the ps staple halo was?
Also what's a thin hw style microwave?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think halos will always be in style. There are some beautiful halos in this very recent thread, for example, especially @nala's gorgeous halo.

Awww thank you! I think halos will always be another classic choice—there are a lot of threads on this question and the answer is still the same—wear what you like! But if you are anything like me, swap out the setting when a prettier dress comes along!

Last edited:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Don’t worry about fashion and get what you love, however if it is going to be a daily wear ring, make sure that it ticks all the boxes in terms of being sturdy enough to take the level of wear it is going to receive. Some halos are suitable for daily wear, some are not.

If you are having trouble choosing between the two, pick one and then put the other one on a wish list to be purchased at a later date

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I wasn't here 5 years ago so im curious what the ps staple halo was?
Also what's a thin hw style microwave?

Thin Harry Winston style micropave

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never been a fan of “micro halos” you end up with as much, or more, “prong” than you do diamond.
And Ive never liked those micro set diamonds everywhere and anywhere on the ring. Especially those set into the main diamond claws/ prongs, always seems to makes the prongs look too big (Unless you have a 5 carat) and I’m sure it reduces the structural integrity of the claw prong.
An appropriately sized halo acts like a frame and I prefer halos with a design element ie different cut diamonds. Halos always look classically beautiful around a coloured centre gem.
Halos are also excellent for providing a little more finger coverage.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Until and unless the diamond industry figures out a new use for these tiny stones I don’t think halos will go completely out of style.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
its your ring
dont worry about what's in fashion
do what you would like to enjoy looking at - you will be the one looking at it 99% of the time
i don't think halos will ever be out of fashion

im not a halo girl myself (and not just because ive never been engaged :lol-2: )
but you get what you love and forsee loving for a long time

i still can't totally get my head around changing out ERs but then i don't live in the US

I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds this is YOUR ring - do whatever the hell you want as long as you feel you will still enjoy it for many years to come. :clap:

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I smiled when I saw this because I was
Wondering if I should have gotten some pave on the shank! Currently looking at bands.

OP I sometimes find my solitaires boring and think I would like a halo but more of an Art Deco type halo which others may think is more suited for a right hand. If you think of a 3 stone as classic I would gravitate towards my own definition of classic if classic is what I want.

Is there a difference between pave and melee on the shank? Is there a millimeter size that corresponds?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who just spent some time debating halo vs no halo, and went halo, I'm in the go with what makes you happy camp. I also think it's worth pointing out that other than people who are newly engaged, and people who hang out on diamond forums :lol:, most people won't ever think about whether a ring looks outdated. Plus, in the real world, there are enough youngish people walking around with micropave halos, who will never change or upgrade their rings, that I think it's going to be a long time before they're gone.

I did choose to simplify my halo some from my last one to cut down on the babying that Big Fat Facets mentioned.

It's hard to look at Nala's gorgeous ring and not be seduced.

I don't know if it will be helpful, but here's my SMTB thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oec-is-set.260635/

I always wonder how these halo styles stand up over the years, not many people come back and let us know if they do! (I mean in terms of how robust they are, if diamonds fall out etc).!

If it's well made, I really don't think it's a problem. At least I never ran into any with my last one--other than losing it, but I'm having a hard time blaming that on the setting!

Until and unless the diamond industry figures out a new use for these tiny stones I don’t think halos will go completely out of style.

:lol::lol::lol:

I would never get a halo, because I could never get a different style of setting after the halo, because of DSS (:. Any setting change out of the halo (excluding a even bigger halo) would make you have to adjust to the smaller size. But if this your forever setting why not!
I personally would go for a three stone as it’s such a beautiful classic style.

The cure is to keep getting bigger diamonds. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results