shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you set it? And How?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Morning!

Fi and I just got engaged this past Saturday and he proposed with a GORGEOUS antique ring that was his grandmothers. The ring I am currently wearing is .35ct OEC set in platinum with 8 single cut side stones from around the year 1928.

So, here''s my question, FI has a stone he bought for our ring, but never set it because he knows how peticular I am about my jewelry. The stone is a loose 1.60ct OMC, J-K, VS clarity...yes, it too is gorgeous!!! I want to set it, but his grandmother''s ring is fabulous...

Would you set the OMC and have 2 e-rings? Or would you sell the OMC and get a bangin'' wedding set (eternity band & plain platinum band)? I really am in love with the both the OEC and OMC. FI is happy no matter what, so...

And if you kept the OMC to set it how what kind of setting would you put it in?

169.1.jpg

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
and another of the OMC...

191.1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would certainly keep both!!!! The heirloom ring has sentimental value, and many here would simply LOVE to have that OEC (you said OMC, but it looks more like an OEC to me, but I could be wrong)! I think you could set it in a simple solitaire like a Leon Mege or set it in an antique style like Tacori, whichever you like best! Your fiance did a terrific job!

Snoopers Leon: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-75-leon-mege-antique-cushion.87017/

Good Old Gold OMC in Tacori: http://www.vimeo.com/6401615

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I forgot to say Congratulations on your engagement!!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2009 6:14:52 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I would certainly keep both!!!! The heirloom ring has sentimental value, and many here would simply LOVE to have that OEC (you said OMC, but it looks more like an OEC to me, but I could be wrong)! I think you could set it in a simple solitaire like a Leon Mege or set it in an antique style like Tacori, whichever you like best! Your fiance did a terrific job!
ditto...

how bout something from http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collectionsb
30.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
So many options. You''ll get a lot of great suggestions on PS. But definitely keep both. If you love the stones and history don''t sell anything! You won''t get much for them and antique stones are so unique.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Thank for your replies and the congrats!! We are SOOOOOO excited! The OMC is actually an OMC - although it looks more round in the pictures, the pattern is more "blocky" rather than "flowery" if that makes sense. My FI bought the 1.60 OMC from Erica Grace so I trust their word. I have 2 OEC''s and I can totally tell the difference between them and the OMC.

Well, with that said, I was also thinking maybe a James Meyer? Or should I go HW reproduction halo? I''m so indecisive!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2009 8:49:14 PM
Author: Lekde
Thank for your replies and the congrats!! We are SOOOOOO excited! The OMC is actually an OMC - although it looks more round in the pictures, the pattern is more ''blocky'' rather than ''flowery'' if that makes sense. My FI bought the 1.60 OMC from Erica Grace so I trust their word. I have 2 OEC''s and I can totally tell the difference between them and the OMC.

Well, with that said, I was also thinking maybe a James Meyer? Or should I go HW reproduction halo? I''m so indecisive!!
Ahhh, I see! I think I need to learn more about these old cuts!

The setting would be a hard decision. But I think it would be nice if you could come up with a wedding band that would work with both rings. I''d vote for going more simple and elegant than blingy unless your lifestyle has a lot of formal occasions.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh, I see! I think I need to learn more about these old cuts!

The setting would be a hard decision. But I think it would be nice if you could come up with a wedding band that would work with both rings. I''d vote for going more simple and elegant than blingy unless your lifestyle has a lot of formal occasions.

You make a very valid point about the number of formal occasions we attend...which isn''t many. Thanks for your insight. I''m now seriously considering a James Meyer setting or maybe a Leon solitaire (those claw prongs tug at my heart strings), because you''re right about less is more and I should let that old gal shine! Thanks again.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Where are the pictures of the heirloom you''re currently wearing? Pretty please?

The OMC is TDF! If you can possibly afford to, keep it!

I think either of those settings would be wonderful with that stone.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
This is the current setting. I will tell ya, for a lil .35ct OEC this ring packs quite the sparkly punch!! My ring size is 6.75.

159.2.jpg

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
A lil closer. I should say, affording to keep the OMC is no big deal - we paid cash for it...I just don't know how to set it!!

161.1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Lucky Lekde! What a gorgeous ring, and what an honor to wear his grandmother''s ring!

You will have two amazing diamond rings when the other one is set.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
His grandmothes ring is gorgeous. I would definitly wear that as a RHR and set the beautiful OMC stone for your
ER. How to set it? Oh...the possibilities! I cant help much there but I would probably set it in an antique style.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results