carat
color
clarity

Would you recut this stone?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1348602007|3274477 said:
Jstar,
Just to clarify; in your shoes, let's say you purchased this 2.6 ct tsavorite for $4000 but you are willing to have the extinction removed even if it drops in size to 1.5 carats which is likely to be valued at $2000 (at least a 50% drop)?

I would, but only because:
1) I don't value large size very much, and most of my stones are under 1ct
2) The monetary value means little to me because I wouldn't resell it
3) I'm THAT much of a precision cut fanatic!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha! ;)) Definitely very different way of thinking which I don't understand but accept.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
OTL|1349143683|3277794 said:
I am no sure what is a 50k polish? Other than that, if you think there is anyway to close the window, or make it reflects better please advise. Thanks a lot~~
A few commercially cut stones are cut to a point and the polish is a minimum step. Some of the other commercially cut stones are sort of randomly cut, but well polished. The well polished stones look very good, but may window, etc. A good polish will hide a multitude of sins.

Most hobbiest consider 50k diamond a minimum a minimum (where diamond is used as a polish). With diamond, the larger the number, the smaller the particle. There are 2 higher levels including 100k and 200k. The 200k polish is hard to discern from 50k for most people, but side by side, it can look 'wet' in comparison. It really showed in my opal class where I went 25k, 100k, 200k, then a buff with Zam on it (Zam is a cerium oxide). The stones have that wet mirror polish on them

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results