shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather go to Paris or Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Well folks, I've often thought that my screen name should be "slowpoke" or something, because I still haven't found enough time to decide on my upgrade, and likewise, I haven't planned our trip to either France or Ireland! And early May is only a few weeks away.

I've really been leaning toward Paris all along, but due to some schedule changes for my husband which may have affected his vacation (did affect some in April, but not the May week), as well as more riots in Paris, made me put off booking anything. Today I did a little research, and I think we are going to try to shoot for Paris, but I didn't book a flight. My DH works for an airline, so given the fares I think we'll just try to "non-rev" (i.e. fly free). I know that may seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes it is worth buying a ticket, if you definitely want/have to be there. We did buy tickets for our honeymoon - what a horrible honeymoon it would be sitting in an airport trying to get an empty seat on full planes! Not worth it. (And believe me I've had terrible days in airports trying to non-rev and all the seats are full!
7.gif
) The other thing is, his airline doesn't seem to start their summer flights to Ireland yet in early May, so we couldn't non-rev there, which makes Paris a better bet.

So anyway, didn't book a hotel either yet. Does anyone know of a good hotel in Paris? Any favorite restaurants? Any other suggestions?

Will let you all know how it goes. I sure hope we can go! (i.e. hope the flights aren't all full - and that there aren't some crazy riots there when we want to go)

BTW: hearts set - those were absolutely gorgeous photos you posted!!!!!! (I know it's been a while...)

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 4:13:04 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 1/4/2006 11:14:14 AM
Author: strmrdr
I have no desire to ever set foot in france.

I think the French were right not to support the invasion of Iraq by the US and the UK. The Downing Street Memo showed that Blair lied to the UK and Bush lied to the US. Before the invasion our ''leaders'' knew there were no weapons of mass destruction, but they misled the people. I think the French should be praised for failing to fall for the lies we in the US and the UK fell for! Or do you think everyone should emulate our stupidity?

At any rate, I would prefer Italy to either of the choices posed above. The Italians are friendlier than the French; the food is universally fantastic; and one can find either culture or relaxation everywhere one goes.

Deborah
Deborah, I completely agree with everything you say regarding France, Iraq, and the lies foisted on the Americans and British by our respective governments.

I have only been to Greece, to row in sea-trials on a reconstructed Greek Trireme (ancient Greek 170-oared warship). I want to go to BOTH Ireland (and Scotland) and Paris, but for my FIRST trip, I would probably choose Ireland/Scotland. France has fabulous architecture and art collections I want to see, I would not stay away because I disagreed with French politics, that''s a little self-defeating.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Well after my DH''s schedule was affected by his training, I am glad we didn''t have a flight booked. But we were able to non-rev to Paris, and had a wonderful 5 days. Ever since we''ve been back, though, it''s been non-stop, including out-of-town guests here at the house for niece''s graduation, a family reunion in another state, and my Dad going to the hospital. Please keep him in your prayers.

I will just post one lame photo....

at Notre Dame.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Well, maybe one more. I like night shots like this, and I thought this one turned out pretty well considering it was just done with a handheld digital camera.

Notre Dame at night.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh that last shot is awesome OFG!!

it''s funny you bumped this thread today because i got a fare sale notice from orbitz this morning and was checking out airfare for a potential europe trip for late fall..and then i saw this thread and thought OH that''s so funny!! the same day.
5.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my most vivid memories of Paris is walking up a VERY narrow spiral staircase in the catherdral of Notre Dame in muggy July and almost getting claustrophobia (sp?)!!! Seeing that picture reminded me!

Glad you had fun, though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results