shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather go to Paris or Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Ireland is beautiful and the people are lovely, but I think Paris would be way more exciting!!! If you do choose Ireland though I highly recommend staying at Dromoland Castle in County Clare. It is not cheap, but well worth every penny!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I say Paris. Been to both, and I just love the museums and art there. I''m not a fan of Irish/English food either, I think that''s partly why I prefer Paris. I went on a tour of England/Ireland/Scotland and had eggs, toast, blood sausage and bacon every morning for breakfast for 2 1/2 weeks straight. Afterwards I couldn''t eat eggs for a year.

Maybe I have a really biased view but I really didn''t like Ireland that much, perhaps because I didn''t get to see a lot of the local sights, it''s beautfiul and scenic but all I remember about Dublin was pubs and rather nasty old men making cat calls at us (a group of girls) everywhere we went... although you could argue the French may not be much friendlier! I think Paris is a lot more metropolitan, and for a whole week there''s a lot more to see there too. Versailles is a must.

I agree I''d rather go to Italy though!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably pick Ireland because of the language compatibility AND because if I were to fly over to France, I''d want to take time out for visiting Italy as well.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Paris -- no question. I think Ireland is a beautiful 2+ week trip through the countryside, the towns, etc. Paris is a beautiful city with tons to do and see and easy side trips. The food is to die for, the museums are someting everyone should do in their life, the time of year is perfect for walking the streets, sitting in the cafes, and really beign a part of the city. I don''t think the language would be an issue at all in Paris -- it never has been for me. I also have never found the touted annoyance/rudeness towards Americans in France. As long as I have been nice and considerate of their home, they have always been very nice in return.

Either way -- it sounds like fun!

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
It all depends on what you want to get out of your trip - I think the amount of time you have to spend is key.

Dublin itself is not a pretty city but it''s great for spending time in smoky pubs, sampling the night life and using it as your base for a ton of day trips to the pretty/historical sights eg Blarney Stone, Galway or even up north to Giants Causeway. You will be doing a lot of travelling to visit all these sights so if you don''t mind long drives or bus rides then you will enjoy it but realistically less than a week is too rushed.

Paris is visually stimulating in so many ways. Whether you like art, history, architecture, nature, culture or gastronomy Paris has something for everyone. Don''t let the language put you off, just learn a few phrases ahead of time (please, thank you, that kind of thing) and it is always appreciated. If you enjoy walking you will get the most out of the city and the many sidewalk cafes. Paris lends itself perfectly to a short break and still allows for some great side trips out of the city.

May is a great time to go to either area although Ireland will most likely be a touch wetter.

Now knowing you but knowing your time frame I would say Paris would be a better option, save Ireland for a longer trip.

Time frame aside I personally would pick Paris over Ireland in a heartbeat. I love both but there is a je ne sais quoi about Paris. The Da Vinci Code movie comes out in May too - what better way to visit somewhere then watch it unfold on the big sceen and be able to point to all the places you just went to!

If you are still stuck for choice go on the the tourism websites for both areas, explore and follow your gut instinct.

Either way have fun!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2006 2:02:34 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I'd actually rather go to Italy.. Steve lived there as a little boy on Sardinia.. he took a ferry to school and recalls having to walk to market every day to get their food. He said the water was incredible and the area was just beautiful..

Was he born there? My husband was born in Genoa, which is not far away! In fact, my husband worked in Sardinia in 1976!!! He was the only "dottore" at a tuna packing plant there! He shared an apartment with "The Engineer" who managed the plant. I think it was boring for him to be there, but he did learn to play golf on a course built by the Aga Khan! A ferry links Genoa and Sardinia...or maybe it is a boat larger than a ferry!

Deb

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been to Paris in April. It rained the entire time we were there--5 days. But my DH and I had a great time. Paris is a great walking city. The muesums and the shopping are phenomenal and interesting. There are tons of small boutiques with everything from antique books, jewelry, clothes, cheeses, tea--anything you can think of. Shops do not all look the same, selling the same stuff like the malls in the U.S. But everything is extremely expensive.

I have never been to Ireland, so I can''t comment.

However, if you want a true taste of Paris--without the Parisian attitude, go to Montreal. It has alot of the same feeling, food and culture. It also has a fabulous Jazzfest in the summer.

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 2:02:34 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
My future BIL lives and works in the North of England near the Ireland border and has this past year, done some extensive travelling.. he said Ireland and Scotland are both just amazing.

You made a typo right? North of England borders Scotland
34.gif
:) .

Ireland and Scotland are both scenic and beautiful without a doubt but you need longer than under a week to get the true beauty without feeling rushed or ties to a car/bus (especially since the first and last days are travel days).

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Paris was my favorite city....until I went to dublin!!

I''ve been to both places and they both offer such great rewards. Visually, I''d say Paris is more beautiful and rich in culture. Dublin isn''t a gorgeous city by any means ( the name "Dublin" means "black pool" by the way - it attained that name during the plague
14.gif
) , however it is SOOOO much more fun! The people are ALOT nicer and an extra benefit is that they speak English (although sometimes the brogue is so thick you can''t tell, but that''s mostly on the west coast of the country!). I was in Ireland for a month back in May of 2005 and had such a wonderful time. the memories are great, but my pictures are fantastic! It is hands down one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited. There are so many great cities and towns to visit: Cork, Galway, Kerry, Killarney, Shannon, etc. and breathtaking scenery. Just take a day and go to the Cliffs of Moher and you''ll see what I mean - you will never forget it! It''s like standing on top of the beautiful world! I had such a blast in Dublin - I want to go back so badly. The city is under a building revolution - new places and things to do are popping up everyday, and the city is young age-wise: over half of the population is under 30 - so there''s some pretty hip places to go. The pubs are unbeatable - the nightlife is fun too. Food, although not as fancy as in Paris, is coming around too. I had some fantastic meals in Ireland. And if you do go, don''t skip the Guiness Brewery!! It is so much fun and when you get to the top floor, you get a free pint while you sit on top of the city and enjoy a great view!

So I''d definitely pick Ireland!! I will never forget the time I spent there. Besides, as someone mentioned earlier - while Paris IS a beautiful city, politics have ruined it for me. I don''t see myself ever going back there for that reason alone!
2.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Do you feel comfortable renting a car? The easiest way to see the Ireland country-side is to rent a car and drive. In Paris, you can do everything on foot or via train.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone for your comments! At first I was going to chastise you all for not being unanimous like with my floor lamp choice
2.gif
but I must say I agree with almost everything you all said, which is why I have trouble deciding! I agree about all the culture/so much to see (and eat!) in Paris; people so friendly and beautiful countryside in Ireland. Easy to get around Paris either walking/subway; Ireland you have to drive on the left!! Easier to communicate in Ireland. Although my high school French does help a little in Paris. I must admit I have been to both places, but my DH hasn''t, and I''ve just been longing to have him see both. And despite, as IslandDreams noted, my picture is a shamrock, because I am of Irish descent, for some reason I am leaning toward Paris for this time. But, I did forget about the riots since I haven''t heard any news of them lately; so maybe Ireland is safer for now. (Actually, for that matter, Ireland is probably always safer; and maybe I should go to Paris now before it gets worse!) Not to mention my husband''s niece is living in Ireland right now, so it would make sense to visit while she''s there. (Although I don''t think we could stay with her - not sure - so it doesn''t necessarily mean saving on hotel bills.)

Maybe that is what I''ll have to do, is check prices etc. for each place and decide based on that. Also some of you mentioned weather at that time of year. Another good thing to look into. And if Paris is too crowded/touristy at that time of year, I don''t like that. I don''t mind having colder weather to avoid crowds. I was there on a business trip in February years ago, and it was chilly but not bad weather at all. And of course Ireland isn''t noted for having great weather ever. (Although we were in Europe in early May for our honeymoon, and there didn''t seem to be huge crowds anywhere, which was nice!)

p.s. One thing I did disagree with is comparing D.C. to Paris. To me, D.C., except maybe for the museums and I guess the Capitol Building is impressive, as far as charm/romance/beauty, it doesn''t hold a candle to Paris, or other European cities, or many American cities for that matter!

Oh and I also agree with the comments on Italy - outstandingly beautiful country! But I don''t know if it''s the language difference or what, I would love to go there too some day, but also maybe the lack of time this year - probably save that for some other year some other trip, hopefully!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2006 8:29:42 AM
Author: crafftygrrl
However, if you want a true taste of Paris--without the Parisian attitude, go to Montreal. It has alot of the same feeling, food and culture.

I have not been to Montreal since I was a child, but I have been (more than once) to Quebec City and the Gaspé Peninsula. I found Quebec City to be very European in its feeling, but unfortunately we got a taste of attitude in one inn in French Canada that was far nastier than anything we felt in France. And both my husband and I were speaking French! We were treated coldly, and my husband wasn't offered the champagne being given to all the other guests at breakfast! (He asked fo some and got some, but I felt very unwanted!)

On top of that only a few people speak "good" French. The rest sound Hungarian. And they use too many non-existent words, like "breuvages" for drinks! If I want to be treated with disdain, I feel it should at least be by people who can speak the language!

(This is written tongue-in-cheek, although I do hate the French Canadian accent! Much of Québec is lovely with friendly people!)

Deborah

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''d probably pick Paris. I''ve been to Ireland and had a fabulous time. However, that was as a teenager. Now that I''m older, while I love seeing castles and stuff, there just isn''t as much to do in Ireland IMHO.

If you want a relaxing trip, I''d pick Ireland. Beautiful scenery, clean air, very calm and peaceful, and cities are smaller and much quieter at night.

However, I like to sightsee and pack things in on vacation. Just more stuff to do and see in Paris.

It all really depends on what you''re looking for.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paris and Nice.
emteeth.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
If your husband has been to neither, I think you should do Paris first. Ireland is a lot more work...driving from place to place etc. Paris is easy...just walk around and absorb the culture & sights. Walking hand in hand with my sweetie in May along the banks of the Seine just sounds so much more romantic than pulling out the rental car map and remembing to to drive on the left..then getting out and walking around muddy fields. Also, May is the perfect time for Paris. I went to school there, and the summers can get really hot. I was there for Bastille Day in July once and it was 100F...and muggy with no AC. That''s when I wanted to be in Ireland!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
IslandDreams, you truly had me laughing out loud with the picture of "pulling out the rental car map and remembing to to drive on the left..then getting out and walking around muddy fields." Sounds like something out of the movie, European Vacation!
1.gif
But seriously, you make an excellent point, and that might be a big part of why I am leaning toward Paris.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
I vote for Paris! It''s easy to get around and if you speak a little French, you''ll be just fine. Definitely hit up the Picasso museum. It''s amazing and not as time-consuming as the Louvre, though the highlights of that are pretty cool too. I think a week is the perfect amount of time for Paris. You can see a ton of stuff and not be in too much of a hurry. I''m so jealous of your trip. Sounds like fun!!!

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for Ireland. I want to go back, rent a car, and get off the beaten path away from the tourist buses. I''d find a small village on the coast and drink Guinness or Beamish with the locals.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
you will need two weeks to see ireland and do it well. we brought our bicycles and toured the country by bicycle/train for a month.

pay attention-- ireland is not like america. (know this going in) places simply are not open 24 hours like here. there is no mcdonalds or dairy queen. no rush rush. "be one with the sheep" ha ha

owners keep their own hours. business hours are roughly 10am to 4 pm, after that you're screwed. get lots of snackies in your bag for "bank holidays" or you will not get dinner.

they have these bank holidays and places frankly are closed whenever the owners want to, because they are much more relaxed. (in a good way) so we spent quite a few days in dublin, galway, and rural ireland stuck in a pub room, lucky to get food.

i was able to relax and "go with the irish flow" after a few days but i had to figure it out first.

my friends just went for their honeymoon in dublin over christmas. they asked the travel agent if places would be open. the travel agent said yes. but when they got there, absolutely nothing was open. they walked the streets of temple bar, couldn't even see the "book of kells". what a shame.

Now saying this -- plan ahead. inquire to MAKE SURE places will be open.

For me, it was a memorable, wonderful trip. round towers and castles everywhere. newgrange, tara, waterford, motte castles. mongolian barbeque in temple bar was fab.

btw, the waterford crystal is cheaper in the us.

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
Well, since I''ve been to France twice, I''d have to go to Ireland. I loved England and Scotland (mapped out a plan and drove it!) so I''m sure Ireland would be great!

As for France. Close to my heart. Thank you ACBF for sticking up for the french, I agree wholeheartedly.

Paris is a great city with a flavor all of it''s own. And guess what...the people are NICE!!! Whenever I''d ask a question in French...I was answered in English! I thought that was very considerate since I can''t remember when I aswered a spanish person in spanish, or a german in german, or a.....

Can I suggest, if you''re interested in driving, the Mosel River Valley in Germany. It''s a scenic route along the river with vinyards as far as the eye can see....literally for miles.

Here''s a couple pics

grapes.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
mosel river valley

germany.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
My fiance's parents...their old stopmping grounds. And for those who believe the French are undesirable and unappreciative of America. E's father (the man in this pic) and his brother left their home country to join the US airforce years ago. And their family was very proud given all that America did for France in WWII.

parisandl.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
had to throw this on in. Strassbourg, France. Gorgeous!

strassbourg.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
the louvre is beautiful, even on a cloudy day!

louvregardens.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
the deepest of the metro stations. a spiral stairway to go down, down, down, down....

abesses.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2006 7:10:18 PM
Author: hearts set
had to throw this on in. Strassbourg, France. Gorgeous!

Wow! That is beautiful! I have never been there. Except for what I could see while going through France on trains, my experience is limited to Paris and the Riviera. I would, now, love to see Strasbourg!

Deborah

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, Strasbourgh is beautiful. It was my favorite French city when I toured while in school. I love the charm of it. Also, if you like Monet, Givenry is beautiful. If you''re going mid-late May it would be beautiful. Don''t miss Sacre Couer & the Montemarte area either.

debi wexler

Rough_Rock
I was looking for another thread and hopped on this one. Paris is just like any other city. There are a couple of places that are impressive, but I wouldn''t go back again. If anyone does go to Paris - once is enough - go to Versailles. It is one of the most beautiful gardens I have every seen. These georgeous gardens are right outside of Paris - you can get there by train.
emteeth.gif

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Ireland, especially in May. And the west of Ireland: more rural and relaxed than Dublin, and some spectacular scenery.

Like France there''s even a different language (Irish); for example if you''re headed to Lisdoonvarna you''ll need to look for the sign reading "Lios Diun Bhearna." But the maps are bilingual, and unlike France you won''t get dirty looks for not speaking it....they''ll just offer you a seat and pour you a drink.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results