shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you like to try allowing discussion of religion on HO?

Do you support allowing discussion of religion on Hangout?

• Yes

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you like to try allowing discussion of religion on

I wonder if there should be a section called "contentious threads" where specific topics like religion, politics, gun control, sex and anything else that has the potential to be divisive can be put with the specific understanding that people who will be offended by lively but non personally attacking discussion do not go there.

Even then I dare say people who shouldn't go there will to take a look, because lets face it, it would no doubt liven up the boards. I would guess a number of people will claim that they are offended by what they read, but in that space perhaps the only ones that can judge if it is a personal attack or not and close it or take it down are the mods - and they make it clear from the outset, that there will be divisive/heated topics on there and everyone knows those rules beforehand.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe if you've not contributed to a thread, and you're offended by it, then your being offended (and any subsequent reporting on your part) should be considered moot. It should be considered no different than using your remote to change the channel if you don't like what's on tv.

If you want to contribute and are being snarked at, that's different. If other people are having a conversation, civilly, and you don't approve of something said, and you are not a contributor, maybe you need to move along and do something else w/your time instead of trying to control everything in your vicinity. If you are offended and want to contribute, "I didn't think that sounded very nice, did you mean it that way, or am I reading it wrong?" That's a civil way to have a conversation. If you don't want to contribute, *don't*. But then don't go crying to mom b/c you don't approve of the topic or conversation as it's being held.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Pricescope is an adult message board.

If you cannot handle adult conversation, then maybe message boards are not for you.

But I like the idea of having it in a separate section and marked accordingly. This way it is easily avoidable for those of a delicate nature.

E B

Ideal_Rock

arkieb1|1452730356|3975669 said:
I wonder if there should be a section called "contentious threads" where specific topics like religion, politics, gun control, sex and anything else that has the potential to be divisive can be put with the specific understanding that people who will be offended by lively but non personally attacking discussion do not go there.

Yes! Or it could be called "The Kitchen." Because if you can't stand the heat... ;-)

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Don't ask me. I'm still recovering from being called a racist and I'm still trying to figure out why Bernie Sanders is scary.

On the other hand, as a card carrying agnostic I'd be on safe ground.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Instead of posting what I was going to, I will just ditto everything Missy and Alj said, and will add one more thing. Check your ego at the door. That would do wonders towards lessening all the friction around here.

I voted for. And not because I particularly want to start posting religious threads. I actually don't. What I DO want, is the freedom to make a random comment "where ever" and if by chance it carries a religious tone, I will be able to actually say it and not get in trouble and not have the thread closed. There have been numerous times when I wanted to say something, but with one hand tied behind my back, I couldn't adequately express myself, so I just passed on commenting.

I do think this bears repeating. If you come across a thread that bothers you, look away.....

And ella, thank you, for giving this consideration. No matter what is decided, the fact that you considered it at all is all we can ask. :))

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

I know I have posted this before but when my mom was end of life and put in Hospice, it was a bad time for me. Hospice was not what I thought it would be and her end was awful.

I wanted to post and ask for prayers. I would have loved dust as well. But I felt the former should have been allowed as well. I have wanted to respond as well to some of the tragedies that have occurred here, but in the way I was raised and believe in and not having to use a euphemism for it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1452735161|3975701 said:
I know I have posted this before but when my mom was end of life and put in Hospice, it was a bad time for me. Hospice was not what I thought it would be and her end was awful.

I wanted to post and ask for prayers. I would have loved dust as well. But I felt the former should have been allowed as well. I have wanted to respond as well to some of the tragedies that have occurred here, but in the way I was raised and believe in and not having to use a euphemism for it.

I feel that it is inhumane to deny posters this. If we are allowed our differences, then we should be allowed to pray in peace. This is not public land.

Deb
(((ruby)))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K|1452699804|3975399 said:
Pricescope is a diamond forum you know those fun sparky things we all enjoy.
People helping people is what it it is about. (while making a few bucks doing so for the owners and pay the bills for the site by adds )
The other sections were formed by user requests over the years to give people more to do here while they are hanging around talking about diamonds.

It is not a debate religion forum and imho should not be debate politics either.
They divide people, while PS is about people from all over the world coming together to talk about sparkly things.
Frankly politics in hangout is already too much for me and I find myself reading it much less often.

I totally agree. There are some people who ridicule or put down people who have certain political and religious beliefs like they are more intelligent and superior. I was here when it was allowed before, and it was ugly. I avoid the political threads and don't come over to Hangout very often.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When someone comes here and asks for dust, I usually say I will pray for them and making that statement is apparently allowed. (I really don't believe in dust other than the kind that collects on furniture.) I am so very sorry, Ruby, that we were not here for you. :(sad

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Discussions of or about religion can be so very interesting and educational. I'd like us to be able to engage in such topics.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1452736488|3975708 said:

I feel that it is inhumane to deny posters this.
(((ruby)))

I wholly agree, and it's why I was REALLY steamed that a poster who asked for prayers at a difficult time in his/her life was actually reported by another PSer on the basis of 'violating the rules not to discuss religion."

I'm far from being religious and even I felt this was Total Bullshit - asking for prayers is NOT the same thing as 'discussing religion' - not even remotely close. It's asking for support and compassion, and I'm still pissed off all this time later that a poster in need was treated so poorly by another member of this community.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Yes! Or it could be called "The Kitchen." Because if you can't stand the heat...

We actually had this once upon a time here on PS....it was called the Steam Room. The former admin was concerned that heated discussions might either intimidate newcomers/lurkers or create a bad first impression to new traffic, but he also wanted PS to foster a sense of community, which happens more successfully when peoples' relationships develop beyond their initial common interest.

In order to access the Steam Room, you had to be a registered user and you had to request access.....which meant that you couldn't later bitch about being offended by spirited discussions since you asked for access. You'd be surprised to know how many really GOOD friendships came from that environment; some people who may have had divergent ideology came to really respect each other even as they disagreed on some things. It was possible because people behaved like *adults* - i.e. not whining to Mommy that "Billy/Betty wasn't nice enough to me." It was looooooooooooong before the PC brigade subsequently landed on PS shores. People didn't cry "pile-on" the moment they found themselves on the minority side of an argument; sometimes you were on the majority side and sometimes you weren't, and that's just how it was. In short, people behaved like adults.

This worked incredibly well for a time. The Steam Room didn't appear in the list of available forums (just as Pre-Loved and a few other forums aren't visible now unless you're logged in) for lurkers or new registrants; new participants had to hear about it and then request access.

After a few years, though, then then-admin faced significant pressure to disband it for two primary reasons: 1) several new posters complained they felt excluded/discriminated against for lack of access and accused him of having special pets, and 2) at least one vendor complained because he didn't like that people might share their true feelings about him or other vendors outside of his view. So, Steam Room morphed into what is today the Hangout.

With no more 'let it all hang out' space, the concern returned about having heated discussions in full view of all and ultimately the loss of designated spots (Around the World, etc.) to discuss potentially contentious topics. The PC brigade roared into town, and the net result is what you have today.

Under today's conditions, I don't think a Steam Room/Kitchen/Whatever could be as successful. What needs to happen to discuss sensitive topics is adult behavior, and that's been in really short supply for some time now.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

aljdewey|1452987596|3976958 said:
Under today's conditions, I don't think a Steam Room/Kitchen/Whatever could be as successful. What needs to happen to discuss sensitive topics is adult behavior, and that's been in really short supply for some time now.
This.

And I want to ditto all the people who have talked about how we can learn from one another when we allow a dialogue to take place. Case in point. Several years ago, my two sons made a comment to me that was so outlandish and unbelievable, I literally busted out laughing. (I won't go into what, that's another thread) But, I saw they were serious, so I asked them to elaborate. I listened for two main reasons. One, I respected them as intelligent human beings, even if they were my "kids", and two, I realized long ago, I don't know everything. Far from it. So after they explained thoroughly what they wanted to convey, I went and spent two years researching it. And you know what? They were right. And the knowledge I gleaned from those two "kids" changed my life, ultimately for the better. I owe them everything. And all because, I listened.

Amazing things can happen when you do. ;))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aljdewey|1452987596|3976958 said:
We actually had this once upon a time here on PS....it was called the Steam Room. The former admin was concerned that heated discussions might either intimidate newcomers/lurkers or create a bad first impression to new traffic, but he also wanted PS to foster a sense of community, which happens more successfully when peoples' relationships develop beyond their initial common interest.

...​

I had forgotten The Steam Room, al. I guess in my memory it blended with the most recent "legal" forum where we were allowed to discuss politics but we were segregated from others. I would say I really have to do something about my memory, but there is nothing I can do. ;))

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

I would love to welcome religion and religious discussion on PS. Being religious myself I always hear the same logic/words/theology rambling in my face constantly.
Its refreshing to get new perspective, it helped me grow and I really have been lacking it lately and miss it a lot.

People just get so sensitive, and offended easily, which is the major flaw of allowing it I think. I think people forget how to act like adults in adult conversations sometimes, and get very easily offended. To be honest though I see more of this on parenting threads then threads about politics and religion.

I would hope it would work on PS, Id love to give it shot.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

I would like to see the rule changed to be the same as for politics. We have had several discussions of late where religion came up tangentially or even as the main topic and we have managed well.

Several months ago now a thread was about ultra orthodox Jews and one commenter got incensed with some of my comments, but we managed to talk through it. They realised that the points I was making weren't with malice and that they had misattributed another's statement to me. We both learned from each other from that thread, even though some feelings were briefly hurt. Luckily we are grown-ass adults and can communicate on loaded but important topics civilly.

A friend of mine lives in a Provence where the laws are changing to disallow discrimination against LGBT kids in schools, and the catholic bishop is vehemently opposed because it goes against Catholic dogma.
This is one of many examples of religion directly bumping up against the law, laws that affect everyone. I think that these things are more than worthy of discussion.

I think that PS is one of few places that draws a somewhat diverse population, and having multiple points of view makes for excellent conversation. If you don't want to talk about it, click away. If you do want to talk about it, enjoy your free speech.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JaneSmith|1453241522|3978171 said:
I would like to see the rule changed to be the same as for politics.

Jane, do you feel discussing politics is more-allowed than discussion of religion?
When I read current PS policy it sounds like both are equally forbidden ...

Quote:
"Discussing RELIGION or RACIAL/ETHNIC issues are not allowed.
Politics are allowed in limited form, at the discretion of the moderator.
This includes prayer chains, religious debates, or threads that turn into antagonistic discussion on different religions.
It also includes posting links/references to other sites/sources dedicated to religion or ethnic discussions.
"
End Quote.

Jane, does that read to you like discussion of politics is more-allowed than than religion?

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

kenny|1453246594|3978203 said:

Jane, do you feel discussing politics is more-allowed than discussion of religion?

Quote:
This includes prayer chains, religious debates, or threads that turn into antagonistic discussion on different religions.
It also includes posting links/references to other sites/sources dedicated to religion or ethnic discussions.
"
End Quote.

Jane, does that read to you like discussion of politics is more-allowed than than religion?

I am super tired and may be misunderstanding you, but yes, that reads to me that religion is not allowed. Unless I missed something, which is more than likely as I do not read here every day and sometimes go for weeks without reading here, politics got the green light a while ago.
"By popular demand, we have agreed to a trial run of bringing politics back to Around the World. The ATW forum is for logged-in members only as of today.

Do not bring this discussion into other parts of the forum and keep religious and racial comments out of discussion. Be respectful and help us moderate if you would like this rule to remain in place.

They were removed previously because members were unable to keep it civil. Keep it civil and note the rules below if you would like it to remain

1. No nasty comments. Namecalling, negative generalizations about a political party, or general mean posts will have a zero-tolerance policy. First violation, a forum time out for one month. Second infraction, six months, and third one year.

2. Moderator has full authority to determine what violates this policy. Intent and context will play a role, as will history on PS following our policies.

3. If you think a post is questionable, please report it so we see it as soon as possible." - Ella. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/by-popular-demand-politics-in-atw.206574/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/by-popular-demand-politics-in-atw.206574/[/URL]

Since hangout absorbed ATW and some other forums, and since we still post about politics, I'm going to assume that politics is allowed, but religion is not, just like it says in that quote you offered. Not trying to get at you, just not understanding.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

JaneSmith|1453262293|3978375 said:
kenny|1453246594|3978203 said:

Quote:
"
End Quote.

I am super tired and may be misunderstanding you, but yes, that reads to me that religion is not allowed. Unless I missed something, which is more than likely as I do not read here every day and sometimes go for weeks without reading here, politics got the green light a while ago.
"By popular demand, we have agreed to a trial run of bringing politics back to Around the World. The ATW forum is for logged-in members only as of today.

Do not bring this discussion into other parts of the forum and keep religious and racial comments out of discussion. Be respectful and help us moderate if you would like this rule to remain in place.

They were removed previously because members were unable to keep it civil. Keep it civil and note the rules below if you would like it to remain

1. No nasty comments. Namecalling, negative generalizations about a political party, or general mean posts will have a zero-tolerance policy. First violation, a forum time out for one month. Second infraction, six months, and third one year.

2. Moderator has full authority to determine what violates this policy. Intent and context will play a role, as will history on PS following our policies.

3. If you think a post is questionable, please report it so we see it as soon as possible." - Ella. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/by-popular-demand-politics-in-atw.206574/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/by-popular-demand-politics-in-atw.206574/[/URL]

Since hangout absorbed ATW and some other forums, and since we still post about politics, I'm going to assume that politics is allowed, but religion is not, just like it says in that quote you offered. Not trying to get at you, just not understanding.

Jane is correct, it explicitly says politics are allowed in limited form, but the others are forbidden. Will re-order the information on prayer chains to make it clearer.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well...seeing all this discussion gets my juices going again. It reminds me of how much I believe that religion and history are intertwined and how it is impossible to teach history without discussing the role of religion in history. From a purely intellectual point of view I have always felt frustrated at being technically barred from discussing religion in history due to the need to discuss it if one wants to make sense of history. Yet I have to say that despite being technically barred, I was never actually barred. No one on Pricescope ever censored me as long as I kept my comments on the role of religion in molding history totally intellectual and erudite and made no attempt to apply them to everyday life. However, the discussion of religion for its own sake, which can be breathtakingly intellectual and fascinating (ask the Jesuits!), has been denied us under the current policies.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

Posts can get snotty and nasty if you are not sickeningly sweet over every ring that is posted - a 3rd world war may break out if "god" forbid we were allowed to discuss religion - its already an arrgy barrgy just discussing yes or no - I voted NO

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about this...

People who just cannot discuss controversial topics in a civilized and polite manner can refrain from posting is such threads. Novel idea right? ::)

So PSers who are willing to behave in a respectful manner towards others whose views might differ pertaining to religion, politics etc can join in those threads and those PSers for who it is just not possible please do not read or post in those threads. Then it is a win win.

People who want to discuss hot topics and are willing to do so in a responsible and adult manner can and those who cannot control their emotions to behave respectfully and politely refrain from joining in and discussing these hot topics. 8)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1453556651|3980171 said:
How about this...

People who just cannot discuss controversial topics in a civilized and polite manner can refrain from posting is such threads. Novel idea right? ::)

So PSers who are willing to behave in a respectful manner towards others whose views might differ pertaining to religion, politics etc can join in those threads and those PSers for who it is just not possible please do not read or post in those threads. Then it is a win win.

People who want to discuss hot topics and are willing to do so in a responsible and adult manner can and those who cannot control their emotions to behave respectfully and politely refrain from joining in and discussing these hot topics. 8)

Well now you're just being mature and adult-like!

Hope you are faring well in the storm.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Opps, sorry.
Wrong thread. :oops:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KaeKae|1453573265|3980325 said:
missy|1453556651|3980171 said:
How about this...

Well now you're just being mature and adult-like!

Hope you are faring well in the storm.

Haha thank you KaeKae. That's the first time I have ever been called that. :cheeky: Usually the domain of my dh (being an adult) but I gladly accept your compliment. :bigsmile:

And thank you for wishing us well in the storm. We are doing fine. Just so worried about those feral cats down the shore. It is such a bad storm down there and I don't know how they could survive this. Not to mention there is no way they can get to the food and water we have provided for them there. The winds would pulverize them if they don't stay put somewhere safe from the elements.

Hope all is well by you.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I don't think this has to do with being an adult in an adult discussion. Many of us already have opinions which are slanted negatively toward one group or another or one topic or another. I think it has a built in set up for disagreement or , for some, declarations of their belief systems, all of which is present in Deb's thread.

I would enjoy hearing others opinions, but cannot fool myself into thinking it wouldn't be contentious. I tried to think of history and the role of religion as a topic, which appears neutral, but couldn't come up with anything that would be neutral as a starting point. These would be some of my questions that I would like to hear how others perceive them.

Do most of you know what an Evangelical Christian would be?

Christ was a man who believed in helping the poor and the sick. Should the Catholic church keep the fortune that they have in art work, Cathedrals, and cash, or should they sell and give to the poor?

Are Orthodox Jews so insular that they constitute a bigoted community in our midst?

One for each. I don't want to show bias yet.

Ella can remove the post if she wishes.

Annette

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton|1453831009|3981798 said:
Hi,

I don't think this has to do with being an adult in an adult discussion. Many of us already have opinions which are slanted negatively toward one group or another or one topic or another. I think it has a built in set up for disagreement or , for some, declarations of their belief systems, all of which is present in Deb's thread.

I would enjoy hearing others opinions, but cannot fool myself into thinking it wouldn't be contentious. I tried to think of history and the role of religion as a topic, which appears neutral, but couldn't come up with anything that would be neutral as a starting point. These would be some of my questions that I would like to hear how others perceive them.

Do most of you know what an Evangelical Christian would be?

Christ was a man who believed in helping the poor and the sick. Should the Catholic church keep the fortune that they have in art work, Cathedrals, and cash, or should they sell and give to the poor?

Are Orthodox Jews so insular that they constitute a bigoted community in our midst?

One for each. I don't want to show bias yet.

Ella can remove the post if she wishes.

Annette

I think any religion to the extreme is insular in such a way to separate and keep others apart and create a disconnect from the general public and that can always be harmful. Keeping separate from others can cause misunderstandings and ignorance in this case is not bliss. We start imagining the worst and thinking how different "they" are when really we are all similar in important ways that make us human. Just rambling some thoughts while doing other things but I hope you get what I mean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results