shape
carat
color
clarity

Would You Go For A Low Color Diamond?

Would you go for a low color diamond (below J)?

• 1. Yes, I would accept low color diamonds.

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • 2. No way for me.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • 3. Not sure. Have not yet seen them in real life.

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been monitoring diamond prices since 1/1/11, as I have been looking for a larger diamond than my 2.4ct. As diamond prices keep increasing (another 5% or more jump in May), finding ideal cut, large diamonds has been difficult. Whenever I founnd suitable candidates, either they got snatched or the seller bumped up the price before I had a chance to reserve them. The experience has been frustrating. Lowering my spec from VS2 minimum to SI1 "eye-clean" (difficult for 3ct or larger) and/or reducing color grade from H minimum to I/J so as to stay within budget does not help. If I want to insist on ideal-cut and maintain my budget (that has already been bumped up several times by 33% total), the only choice left is to lower the color spec below J. Recently, I had a chance to view some low color diamonds down to X, and surprisingly found that the warm color did not bother me at the time of viewing in the jewelry store. I did try to view the stones near the store window, but did not see anything very bad (just tint). The great optics were what held my attention. Never thought that I would consider going for low color diamonds. Wonder how many of you would accept low color diamonds? Please take a poll.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My antique cushion is an O/P, so yes, I would go for a low colored diamond.
My original stone was a G, and I have to say that I prefer my warm buttery antique cushion.

I think this is really an issue of personal preference. Have you tried on many I/J colored stones? Do you like them? That's really all that matters, if you ask me!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely, I made a choice to buy a lower color stone. An N color cut by Infinity which is superb. I love the buttery warmth and the dispersion of color is outstanding.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely do it in an antique stone and hope to have one someday. Haven's ring is gorgeous! However, in a traditional hearts and arrows cut, I would keep what you have before I'd trade it for a larger stone with color below J. J would be my absolute limit because going lower may make that stone stand out as lower color in comparison to your diamond band and other diamond pieces. In fact, I'd personally go no lower than I color because my current diamond is H and I like the whiteness of it. Those starting out with a lower color can arrange their settings and wedding bands to be complimentary in color. But I think if you substituted a K or L color into the (gorgeous!!!) set in your avatar, it would stand out in a negative way.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1304784107|2914791 said:
I would definitely do it in an antique stone and hope to have one someday. Haven's ring is gorgeous! However, in a traditional hearts and arrows cut, I would keep what you have before I'd trade it for a larger stone with color below J. J would be my absolute limit because going lower may make that stone stand out as lower color in comparison to your diamond band and other diamond pieces. In fact, I'd personally go no lower than I color because my current diamond is H and I like the whiteness of it. Those starting out with a lower color can arrange their settings and wedding bands to be complimentary in color. But I think if you substituted a K or L color into the (gorgeous!!!) set in your avatar, it would stand out in a negative way.

Totally agree with this.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1304784790|2914800 said:

Totally agree with this.
I agree, too!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haven|1304782990|2914779 said:
My antique cushion is an O/P, so yes, I would go for a low colored diamond.
My original stone was a G, and I have to say that I prefer my warm buttery antique cushion.

I think this is really an issue of personal preference. Have you tried on many I/J colored stones? Do you like them? That's really all that matters, if you ask me!

Haven, Didn't know you traded your G for an O/P OMC. Very good information for me to know. Your set is to die for. The warm color of your OMC matches perfectly with the gold setting and your band. Love that combination.
Hope you do not mind me attaching one of your photos here so as to remind me how gorgeous your set looks.

All my diamonds are round ideals F-H color, except my I color pear in my pendant. I have not tried on any other I/J color stones. The low color stones I tried on in the store are all antique cushions.

Haven 2.3 OMC O-P.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1304783531|2914782 said:
Absolutely, I made a choice to buy a lower color stone. An N color cut by Infinity which is superb. I love the buttery warmth and the dispersion of color is outstanding.

Bright Ice, Never knew that N color could be so beautiful in rounds. I always thought low colors are good for vintage cut only.

Again, I want to attach a photo of your ring here. The profile, where one sees the most color/tine, is simply PERFECTION!

Bright Ice N color 3-stone.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Do not worry. I do not intend to give up my ER. I just want a second, "fun" ring. Since I already have ideal rounds, I am getting an antique cut this time. Initially, I did consider upgrading my 2.4ct round, but quickly gave up the idea when I saw the prices for H/I or higher stones. Besides, ideal rounds of 3+ct are very rare nowadays.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love a lower color stone in a cushion. Personally, for other types of cuts I would stick to I or higher- I have a D RB as my ERing and that has spoiled me into wanting Icy White stones for my Ering/wedding set. But for another stone or ring I would LOVE a lower colored cushiong/older cut stone :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In an antique cut I would, but I would need to see it in person because the tint in stones varies so much in color and tone! Yellow, brown, grey, green, you can see it all. I would go *very* low too, so the tint was "puposeful" rather than accidental KWIM?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1304787323|2914846 said:

Do not worry. I do not intend to give up my ER. I just want a second, "fun" ring. Since I already have ideal rounds, I am getting an antique cut this time. Initially, I did consider upgrading my 2.4ct round, but quickly gave up the idea when I saw the prices for H/I or higher stones. Besides, ideal rounds of 3+ct are very rare nowadays.

OH!!!!! Okay! Then we are thinking exactly the same! I'd love to have a second ring in an antique cut and I don't care what color! I'd love to do rose gold and platinum like Haven's too! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1304786926|2914834 said:
bright ice|1304783531|2914782 said:

Bright Ice, Never knew that N color could be so beautiful in rounds. I always thought low colors are good for vintage cut only.

Again, I want to attach a photo of your ring here. The profile, where one sees the most color/tine, is simply PERFECTION!

Brightice...your ring is beautiful! I love the truth 3-stone setting!!! When starting out with that color range, you have the opportunity to make your other jewelry complimentary. I did want to make sure I acknowledged that I think your ring is gorgeous! :love: (I was just initially worried she was putting a lower color center into an existing set and I just didn't think that would work!)

Ooops...I just read your thread about a reset, Brightice! I didn't read the last posts on that thread to see that you are sending your ring to Victor. Glad you are putting a gemstone in the truth setting because I think it is too pretty not to use!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having had my J for some time now I would say definitely - modern, antique, whatever, if the stone sings to me.

BUT I would not stick it in a simple stock solitaire and be done with it - I'd think long and hard and splurge on a complementary *setting* so that the entire piece stands out as carefully deliberated. IMO this is even more important w/ stones you'll see a slight tint in, like a 3ct I/J/K+, if you don't particularly care for tint (ie. your ideal would be a D but you're sadly just not a billionaire) - if you put it in a stock tiffany-type 4prong it's hard to see your ring as unique, and you'll always compare it to the dozens of other stock tiffany 4prongs w/ whiter stones and it will always fall short, whereas if your entire ring is incomparable then it's - well, incomparable!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm weird.
I'm a high-color and clarity guy.

BUT

I would also love a large AVC in the L to P range.
In this range it isn't even trying to be colorless and is even proud of it's color.
Weird.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Kenny.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1304793770|2914917 said:
I'm weird.
I'm a high-color and clarity guy.

BUT

I would also love a large AVC in the L to P range.
In this range it isn't even trying to be colorless and is even proud of it's color.
Weird.
This is how I've come to feel. I love that my O/P stone shows its color, in fact my jeweler knew that I wanted the stone's warmth to shine through so he surprised me and set a fancy vivid yellow stone under the culet to enhance it.

I have learned that I prefer warm stones to icy white ones, which is something I didn't know about myself until after I saw many, many stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1304794639|2914928 said:
. . . my jeweler knew that I wanted the stone's warmth to shine through so he surprised me and set a fancy vivid yellow stone under the culet to enhance it.

Wow! Cool! . . . is there a thread with pics?

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't hesitate to go for a lower colour diamond personally. As a matter of fact, my 2 ct center in my 3-stone is an L and I just bought a 2.5 ct M colour for my RHR. I love the look of warmer stones. I think they have such personality.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
FancyDiamond|1304782671|2914776 said:
Recently, I had a chance to view some low color diamonds down to X, and surprisingly found that the warm color did not bother me at the time of viewing in the jewelry store. I did try to view the stones near the store window, but did not see anything very bad (just tint). The great optics were what held my attention. Never thought that I would consider going for low color diamonds. Wonder how many of you would accept low color diamonds? Please take a poll.

There is a great misconception out there that a lower colored diamond is "BAD". This is not true. Even though colorless diamonds are the highest priced ones, basically because they are the most "desired" ones, lower colored ones still have all the appeal a natural diamond exudes. (and the ones who can appreciate them won't have to reach as deep in their pockets!)

It's all about personal preference. I for one, adore the glow of an warmer diamond. I do agree that it needs to have a setting that is appropriate for it, making it's own special personality, along with your own, stand out that much more!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Farleysmom|1304796229|2914956 said:
I wouldn't hesitate to go for a lower colour diamond personally. As a matter of fact, my 2 ct center in my 3-stone is an L and I just bought a 2.5 ct M colour for my RHR. I love the look of warmer stones. I think they have such personality.
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many low color ideal rounds set in 3-stone. Love the Trellis curves. :love:

Again, I want to post your photo here to remind me about your gorgeous ring. Hope you are OK with my doing so.

I am surprised to see so many members of the PS community embrace warm color stones.

Farleysmom L color 3-stone.jpg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a better picture of my 2.0 ct L 3-stone, my former 1.5 ct M emerald (which I sold) and my new 2.5 ct M RHR.

lmf2501.jpg

lmfec2011.jpg

lmffset1.jpg.JPG

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farley's mom, I'm not picking on you but you just posted a wonderful example of something.
As very often the case, in these pics the white balance of the camera does not match the light source used.
This affects the color we see much more than the diamond's color grade.

This is a great example why we should avoid judging diamond color in pics.
They are only one GIA color different, but here they are side by side.
The round is an L and the emerald cut is an M.

Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 2.32.55 PM.png

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1304803764|2915054 said:
As very often the case, in these 3 pics the white balance of the camera does not match the light source used.
This affects the color we see much more than the diamond's color grade.

This is a great example why we should avoid judging diamond color in pics.
They are only one GIA color difference but here they are side by side.
The round is an L and the emerald cut is an M.

Hey Kenny....great point. I could really use your expertise in learning how to take good photos that accurately reflect the colour. Any photo tips for a REAL novice with a point and shoot Canon camera? :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FM, thanks for not getting mad.
I really love good pics and took a risk speaking up and you are most gracious. :love:

Look in your owner's manual under white balance or light.
If you don't have your owner's manual any more enter the make, and model number into Google like this:

Canon PowerShot A2100 IS Owner's Manual.
I just did this and found this PDF file which is downloadable:

Another possibility is your camera may have a dial or menu-driven screen showing little icons that represent the various light sources, like a sun, a cloud, an old fashioned light bulb and a fluorescent tube.
That may help you match.

Also, experiment intentionally with your camera in different light sources with the settings and see which come out correct.
It may be helpful to include something white or light neutral gray in a pic.
If that reference white or gray comes out on the yellowish or the blueish you'll know it's not right yet.

Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 3.41.58 PM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the threadjack everyone. :oops:

FN, I don't know which point an shoot you have but I looked at the PDF file of the owner's manual for the one I randomly selected above.
(Post your camera's make and model number and I'll try to look it up and help figure it out for you.)

I was very disappointed it never mentioned White Balance.
It called the subject SCN for Shooting in Special Conditions. (Oye Vey!)
Sure enough, it does have a little sun icons and such for various lighting situations.

I'm very disappointed how they handled this important aspect of photography.
They really dumbed it down to where the owner's manual is next to useless.
I think they want to make it all seem simple and automatic.
You are the exception but I think if most people don't want to learn or work.
They want to just, well . . . point and shoot.

I encourage you to experiment with the settings that YOUR camera has in various lighting environments.
Learn which camera setting gives you accurate color in the lighting you use.

Here's a shot of the annoying owner's manual I looked up:

Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 3.46.12 PM.png

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kenny. I always appreciate honest feedback and help. Let me know if you think these are any better. I tried to capture both stones in the same light. I'm going to have to keep experimenting until I get it right. I just wish I had your picture taking skill. Your comments are always welcome. :wavey:

Sorry for the threadjack.

lmfrhrclr.jpg

lmferngclr.jpg

lmf2rngclr.jpg

lmf2rngclr1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes yes yes.
Putting BOTH diamonds in the same pic is smart!
It's the BEST and OOOOOOONLY way to compare the color of diamonds.

Even if the white balance is wonky it will be equally wonky for both.

BTW if you want to tell me the make and model of your camera I'd be glad to try to look up your owner's manual online and see what it says about the subject.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny.....thank you sooooo much for your help with this. My camera is a Canon PowerShot A630. Do you think the colour balance was any better. My problem is that when I use the Auto setting with "flower" icon for close-ups, it does not let me change the lighting -- at least I haven't figured out how. :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes.
That white balance looks much better.
Besides including a white object skin is also useful for judging if you have good white balance.
Of course we all know skin varies, but you know your skin hue, plus when white balance is way off the color can be dramatically blue or yellow.
You'd have to be jaundiced or dead to have that color. :D

I'll try looking up your manual.
Sorry for the hijack again but, judging from many pics here, many of could use this hijack. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results