shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you collect a CS just because it was rare?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
There's no Mrs. Kenny, but there is a Mr. Kenny. :bigsmile:
He is not into diamonds, or jewelry, at all.

Buy him a small CS jewellery in a colour that suits him, then keep telling him how good it looks on him. Generally, I find that if you compliment men on something they are wearing, they start to wear it a lot ;-)

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
You make an excellent point... I like the way you worded this too. Rarity = novelty. And there is inherent beauty and "romance" in something that is unique or not often seen.

The only thing I would add to this is to say that emeralds, sapphires, and rubies may abound, but top quality stones are still quite scarce. Also, what you do with the stones (the "dress" you choose for them) can be as distinct as you are. :)

Oh for sure, and I’m not trying to say that diamonds, rubies, emeralds, etc. suck, because they are all beautiful in their own right. I just like having rare and unique stuff that you don’t see every day. It doesn’t matter if we’re talking gems, cars, guitars, etc.

Oh for sure, and I’m not trying to say that diamonds, rubies, emeralds, etc. suck, because they are all beautiful in their own right. I just like having rare and unique stuff that you don’t see every day. It doesn’t matter if we’re talking gems, cars, guitars, etc.

ITA... it's always nice to stand out from the crowd! And, really, it's about self-expression. The more of an individual you are, the more your style should reflect that. Sometimes traditional just won't do, my friend. :geek:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock

Absolutely! Here's what I roll in when the weather is nice. She does attract some attention, being unique in make and color. 20200422_104244.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would not only have to be rare but beautiful too. There are many rare germs that are reallly not worth it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
only if its hard enough and pretty enough to go into a ring
but i could never afford it unless we win lotto because im still lusting after the avo bathroom

i really love Taiwanese gem silica
does that count as rear enough ?

i mean these was a time in history the now more humble amethyst was ultra exspenisve because it was so rear

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
:lol-2:
we have a house that would look good in one of those avo bathrooms

I actually grew up in a house with an avocado kitchen and toilet. It was already like that when we moved in and my parents didn't bother to redecorate. It was quite a 70s house all over with the upstairs bathroom having a brown bathroom suit with textured brown bamboo wallpaper and brown carpet (not a fan of carpets in the bathroom). There was cream shag carpet in my room.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually grew up in a house with an avocado kitchen and toilet. It was already like that when we moved in and my parents didn't bother to redecorate. It was quite a 70s house all over with the upstairs bathroom having a brown bathroom suit with textured brown bamboo wallpaper and brown carpet (not a fan of carpets in the bathroom). There was cream shag carpet in my room.

i would kill for that toilet
i think
or even the older 1950/60's 'barbie' type ones (if you had a 1970's barbie)
you still see them in the building recyclers and demo yards but im not sure how keen i am on a 2nd hand loo

note in the 70's barbie stuff was not all pink
1664349459444.png
1664349419780.png
1664349325198.png

a long time ago my aunty and uncle redecorated with an avo bathroom - the had a sunken bath and yellow windows and arches :lol-2:

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock

I really got to google what’s an avocado kitchen :lol:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
i would kill for that toilet
i think
or even the older 1950/60's 'barbie' type ones (if you had a 1970's barbie)
you still see them in the building recyclers and demo yards but im not sure how keen i am on a 2nd hand loo

note in the 70's barbie stuff was not all pink
1664349459444.png
1664349419780.png
1664349325198.png

a long time ago my aunty and uncle redecorated with an avo bathroom - the had a sunken bath and yellow windows and arches :lol-2:

It was all about colour back then! l love those pastel pink bathrooms.

No, not sure if I'd want a second hand toilet either - on the other hand, it's not like people change the toilet every time they move into a new house...

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I guess it would break your heart to hang out with me. We have pulled out toilets and tiles of every color of the rainbow, it seems. Lots of baby pink, mauve, blue, green, etc.

I definitely think they can be cool in the right house. Problem is all our properties were built in 1917 and earlier, so 70s avocado green looks seriously out of place.

pammbw

Rough_Rock
No I would not collect something ugly just because it was rare. Let’s flip the question and ask- would you collect something beautiful even though it was cheap and plentiful?

I love amethyst, in all shades from palest lilac to deepest velvety purple. It’s cheap and plentiful, and beautiful. Same with blue topaz. In every imaginable fantasy cut that a gem cutter can dream up. Both are highly underrated stones IMHO. But would you wear it? Collect it? Or fear being judged?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
No I would not collect something ugly just because it was rare. Let’s flip the question and ask- would you collect something beautiful even though it was cheap and plentiful?

I love amethyst, in all shades from palest lilac to deepest velvety purple. It’s cheap and plentiful, and beautiful. Same with blue topaz. In every imaginable fantasy cut that a gem cutter can dream up. Both are highly underrated stones IMHO. But would you wear it? Collect it? Or fear being judged?

Yes I love amethyst too. So glad it is plentiful and affordable. Some of the African variety is also very exciting.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes! Totally as long as I find it beautiful! That's why I went on a rubellite rampage! Big, colourful, well cut and plentiful at very reasonable prices! I peaced out on rubies and now wear my ridiculous rubellites everywhere instead.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I guess it would break your heart to hang out with me. We have pulled out toilets and tiles of every color of the rainbow, it seems. Lots of baby pink, mauve, blue, green, etc.

I definitely think they can be cool in the right house. Problem is all our properties were built in 1917 and earlier, so 70s avocado green looks seriously out of place.

yes :lol-2:
that was about the date my uncle and aunties house was build (our family home too - a Californian bungalow)
and yes :lol-2:
on reflection
avo green did indeed look severaly out of place as did the orange window glass
and the arches in the lounge :lol-2:

but our house is an ex state house build in 1959 - it would love a mid century coloured bathroom

one thing it is not getting is a sterile white bathroom

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
i wish amethyst came in nicer settings
i mean it was once very rear and some royal families have beautiful old pieces
i see it in the jewlery store windows always just in silver or maybe in 10k but never with good diamonds

and yes to blue topaz too

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results