shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you collect a CS just because it was rare?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I would not collect something ugly just because it was rare. Let’s flip the question and ask- would you collect something beautiful even though it was cheap and plentiful?

I love amethyst, in all shades from palest lilac to deepest velvety purple. It’s cheap and plentiful, and beautiful. Same with blue topaz. In every imaginable fantasy cut that a gem cutter can dream up. Both are highly underrated stones IMHO. But would you wear it? Collect it? Or fear being judged?

opps i just wanted to add

who is judging me (us) for loving amethyst ?
that sounds a bit like high school ?

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
i would kill for that toilet
i think
or even the older 1950/60's 'barbie' type ones (if you had a 1970's barbie)
you still see them in the building recyclers and demo yards but im not sure how keen i am on a 2nd hand loo

note in the 70's barbie stuff was not all pink
1664349459444.png
1664349419780.png
1664349325198.png

a long time ago my aunty and uncle redecorated with an avo bathroom - the had a sunken bath and yellow windows and arches :lol-2:

My house was built in 1954 and has a salmon pink bathroom as well as a sunflower yellow bathroom. The whole house has been preserved (or restored in some areas), so it looks straight of of the 1950s, with the exception of modern windows, thermostat, and appliances. My favorite MCM piece in my home is an actual Eames Chair. 3F0F3A34-015D-40AA-AC96-4694D5B7F309.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
My house was built in 1954 and has a salmon pink bathroom as well as a sunflower yellow bathroom. The whole house has been preserved (or restored in some areas), so it looks straight of of the 1950s, with the exception of modern windows, thermostat, and appliances. My favorite MCM piece in my home is an actual Eames Chair. 3F0F3A34-015D-40AA-AC96-4694D5B7F309.jpeg

Love it :kiss2: ! I told hubby I hope to do a mid century modern house next. I have a collection of vintage furniture pieces that I just couldn't walk away from that I can't really use in our current properties. I also have some metal kitchen cabinets that we pulled out that need to be reused in a period place. Hoping for a little bungalow. If not, I'm putting them all in my house we build when the last of the kids are gone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I might. Red beryl isn't often beautiful but I'd buy one just to have it.

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

im on my way over ;)2

because our house was built as a state rental i dont think it would have had a lot of new furniture in it when it was new
so i dont think our art deco china cabnets look out of place, we have really dark floors, so our furniture is a mix and matchy but when we finally decorate i want outragouse mid centuray inspired wallaper (used selectivly) and jewel coloured paint
im thinking palm tree wallpaper up one side of the hall
i have flamingo curtain fabric for our bedroom ! and pinappple for the blind that will go in the back door in the kitchen

but as i said before i would kill for one of those bathrooms
;)2

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
im on my way over ;)2

because our house was built as a state rental i dont think it would have had a lot of new furniture in it when it was new
so i dont think our art deco china cabnets look out of place, we have really dark floors, so our furniture is a mix and matchy but when we finally decorate i want outragouse mid centuray inspired wallaper (used selectivly) and jewel coloured paint
im thinking palm tree wallpaper up one side of the hall
i have flamingo curtain fabric for our bedroom ! and pinappple for the blind that will go in the back door in the kitchen

but as i said before i would kill for one of those bathrooms
;)2

My flat was also built post-war (WWII) and was state rental - I really like antique style interiors but don't know how to reconcile it with the flat. Not sure if midentury would work too. Trying to figure out what works. I do have those glass ceiling lampshades that are bowl shaped through, and a palm/jungle pattern toilet seat. Has really cheeered up the otherwise white bathroom suite. The thing about those avo bathrooms is that the sink is too small, no space to put anything on it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My flat was also built post-war (WWII) and was state rental - I really like antique style interiors but don't know how to reconcile it with the flat. Not sure if midentury would work too. Trying to figure out what works. I do have those glass ceiling lampshades that are bowl shaped through, and a palm/jungle pattern toilet seat. Has really cheeered up the otherwise white bathroom suite. The thing about those avo bathrooms is that the sink is too small, no space to put anything on it.

i need to see these lampshades (im sure @mellowyellowgirl wont mind ;)2 )
and the loo seat too please

tradionally state houses here had zero indoor outdoor flow
we have a tiny front and back porch so no varanders or decks

the two places we would like to have french doors are both constricted by the placement of the driveway and garage
we think we might have to settle for a 1960's concrete patio between the house and the garage - (maybe roof it with some good gaulity polycarbonate and call it a breezeway)

i cant remember my aunty's basin, just the loo and the bath
i thought it was so glamourse - mum said it would date

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
i need to see these lampshades (im sure @mellowyellowgirl wont mind ;)2 )
and the loo seat too please

tradionally state houses here had zero indoor outdoor flow
we have a tiny front and back porch so no varanders or decks

the two places we would like to have french doors are both constricted by the placement of the driveway and garage
we think we might have to settle for a 1960's concrete patio between the house and the garage - (maybe roof it with some good gaulity polycarbonate and call it a breezeway)

i cant remember my aunty's basin, just the loo and the bath
i thought it was so glamourse - mum said it would date

I can't believe I'm posting a picture of a loo seat but here it is =)2

IMG_20221002_190300_973.jpg

As you can see, ther rest of the bathroom is very plain. I'm quite keen on going with a botanical theme perhaps.

Here is the lampshade. I have 3 of these types of shades in green and in pink:

IMG_20221002_120849_706~2.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, absolutely.

Some of the Opals I have in my personal collection are not in there because they are the most visually appealing, they are there because they exhibit something that makes them rare.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think I have ever collected anything ugly, but then again, I love rocks and geography/geology was my favorite subject in school, so is there even an ugly rock? Even included stones are pretty interesting if not exactly sublime in quality.

What I will say though is that I have accumulated a number of peridot pieces over the years solely for the fact that it’s my birthstone. And I have never managed to make myself love any of them. Perhaps one day if I get my hands on one of those bright grassy green ones! Sorry, peridot lovers for the slander. But no one was as thrilled as me when spinel was officially added as a new alternative birthstone.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think I have ever collected anything ugly, but then again, I love rocks and geography/geology was my favorite subject in school, so is there even an ugly rock? Even included stones are pretty interesting if not exactly sublime in quality.

What I will say though is that I have accumulated a number of peridot pieces over the years solely for the fact that it’s my birthstone. And I have never managed to make myself love any of them. Perhaps one day if I get my hands on one of those bright grassy green ones! Sorry, peridot lovers for the slander. But no one was as thrilled as me when spinel was officially added as a new alternative birthstone.

I don't understand why people pay so much attention to birthstones. I mean, it's just something that a bunch of people invented. It can't be helped if other people gift them to you though :lol:

I wasn't particularly a fan of periodot, but ever since I got a small peridot cluster ring, I really liked how it complimented the colour of my orangish-pinkish red spinel.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
But no one was as thrilled as me when spinel was officially added as a new alternative birthstone.

I would be thrilled if they made my birthstone gold. If people ask me what I want for my birthday, I'll say "Oh, just buy me something in my birthstone."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results