shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you collect a CS just because it was rare?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallooo

Another thread got me thinking.

Would you (have you) collected things that you think are ugly or meh because they are rare (or to have a broader collection) or do you need to enjoy the look?

Black jade, yellow jade, black diamonds are not my jam so I will never buy them. I’ve never been one to need to complete a collection or have a diverse collection through so if I think it’s ugly to me or bad value, I will skip it. I gave my blue sapphire away because I just couldn’t be bothered with blue anymore (don’t really care for it) so I’m happy to skip obvious things in a collection if I don’t like them.

My downfall is I buy the same things over and over again because I love them.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’m always tempted by rarity but I have to love the look… hence why I still don’t have alexandrites, blue garnets, pads or cats eye. I try not to keep buying the same thing but some stuff are unfortunately irresistible…

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m always tempted by rarity but I have to love the look… hence why I still don’t have alexandrites, blue garnets, pads or cats eye. I try not to keep buying the same thing but some stuff are unfortunately irresistible…

Ooh Icy gimme the goss on you and pads!

Too wishy washy in colour?

I like the crazy bright pads that some people might dispute as pads.

Alexandrite is another one I don't care for. It's green to purple but neither the green nor the purple look that great to me. I'd just go buy a giant emerald and a giant purple sparkling sapphire (if I had the money).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it’s always beauty. I buy gems and jewellery that I love the look of. I don’t particularly care for rarity or being one of a kind but I do have expensive tastes.
Alexandrite appeals to me because it’s colour change is fascinating. Likewise Opals are a passion, no two are ever the same and their creation is truly remarkable.
I do love Jade but I’m terrified of the nuances which I have difficulty grasping. So I just buy cheap pieces which I can enjoy without fearing I have been misled. My pieces are probably treated to the nth degree, but I’m buying the beauty and the enjoyment of wearing them.
When things are really rare and/or really expensive the tendency is to “put them away out of harms reach”. Too often its “oh my goodness, I dont dare wear it, it’s in the safe”. What is the point in that?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely beauty over rarity. I love a good cat's eye and alexandrite but the ones I love are way over my budget. Same goes for jadeite, padparadscha, red and blue diamonds, etc.

I love pearls and opals too but the reason I don't have any isn't due to cost or rarity. It is the maintenance. I am the type to wear my jewellery through the shower, lotion, etc and that isn't good for both.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought some stones for the "rarity" like purple, pink, green diamonds ($$) pink tanzanite and sphalerite (not $$), but I started as a collector and just enjoyed taking them out of the safe and looking at them with zero plans to set. I may end up setting a few of the loose stones I have now (maybe 10 from the hundreds I have) but most of them are smaller than are worth setting for me to want to wear now, even if very pretty to my eye.

Seems we all pretty much have the same feelings on this topic (great question, mellow). If I don't love the color, I'm not buying, regardless of the rarity. I wouldn't take it for free (well, unless I could resell it for :$$)::$$)::$$):). I am another one who doesn't love Alexandrite, BTW, though gems which display phenomena are always of interest to me. I just find the color to generally be drab, no matter the light source. :think:

@chrono Same for me! I LOVE pearls and opal, but while I'm easy on my jewels, I just can't see spending a fortune on something I'll have to baby (and still possibly ruin). I no longer own any gems under a 7 Mohs, with cleavage or tenacity issues, or that can be damaged with reasonable care (Pearls: mere skin oils; Opals: temperature/moisture fluctuations).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you shared this stone before? I MUST see it, @kenny! :eek2:

Yes.
IIRC this pic is from 2011.

My Fancy Red diamond is at 2:00.

2B.png

GIA Red.png

Here is its listing at https://Leibish.com

Last edited:

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t collect rare things, so much as ones that don’t look like what everyone else has (with the exception of Audrey in the iconic baguette sides setting). However, I’m an odd duck because I would likely own most colored stones except opal and emerald. They just do not appeal to me. (I know, that’s akin to blasphemy. Sorry!)

Yes.

2B.png

GIA Red.png

That's one of the nicest I've ever seen! The color is perfection... fully saturated and a true red. Do you own that entire kaleidoscope in the pic you shared? :drool:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ooh Icy gimme the goss on you and pads!

Too wishy washy in colour?

I like bright colors, and classic pads are a bit too pastel. Then the ones I’ve seen are too small or too pricey if they have intense color. Like I’m sure there is a pad out there that will make my heart sing but then even if I find a pad like that there are other stones that I will love even more, considering the price.

I guess same for alexandrite as well… whatever I am willing to pay will net me just an itty bitty stone. I’ve seen nice examples but just hesitated at paying for them, so I figure I just don’t like them enough…

There have been some stones which I changed my mind about after seeing some really amazing ones (vs the commercial quality ones that are more commonly seen). Opal is one that I can think of.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's one of the nicest I've ever seen! The color is perfection... fully saturated and a true red. Do you own that entire kaleidoscope in the pic you shared? :drool:

Thanks.
Yeah, it's the purest red I've ever seen.
Many that GIA has graded Fancy Red have brown or a muddiness to them.
I think mine is very clean.

And yes, this was my ever-changing FCD collection at the time.
There are a few threads here about them.

Thanks.

Oh wow... I would create a rainbow pendant or ring just as you have the stones arranged in that pic, with the white asscher at center. It would be a dream piece, really! An FCD sampler!!
1074.gif

P.S. Is there a Mrs. Kenny?
1237369tyzs7dgodt.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow... I would create a rainbow pendant or ring just as you have the stones arranged in that pic, with the white asscher at center. It would be a dream piece, really! An FCD sampler!!
1074.gif

P.S. Is there a Mrs. Kenny?
1237369tyzs7dgodt.gif

There's no Mrs. Kenny, but there is a Mr. Kenny. :bigsmile:
He is not into diamonds, or jewelry, at all.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks.

Since red diamonds go for 1m per carat, did you pay 100k for that tiny one? It does look spectacular though

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

2B.png

GIA Red.png

Whoa. Is that a green oec???

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since red diamonds go for 1m per carat, did you pay 100k for that tiny one? It does look spectacular though

Price per carat goes up and down with carat weight.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Yes.

2B.png

GIA Red.png

oh wow!! This is what dreams are made of...

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
For me, there is beauty in rarity. That’s why the “Salvator Mundi” painting sold for $450 million while “Dogs Playing Poker” can be bought at a garage sale for $2. While I certainly like aesthetically pleasing things, who wants what everyone else has? Not me. I’d much rather have something unique. When my wife and I go to social gatherings, there are diamonds, emeralds, and sapphires as far as the eye can see. I’ve yet to see an Alexandrite, anywhere.

For me, there is beauty in rarity. That’s why the “Salvator Mundi” painting sold for $450 million while “Dogs Playing Poker” can be bought at a garage sale for $2. While I certainly like aesthetically pleasing things, who wants what everyone else has? Not me. I’d much rather have something unique. When my wife and I go to social gatherings, there are diamonds, emeralds, and sapphires as far as the eye can see. I’ve yet to see an Alexandrite, anywhere.

You make an excellent point... I like the way you worded this too. Rarity = novelty. And there is inherent beauty and "romance" in something that is unique or not often seen.

The only thing I would add to this is to say that emeralds, sapphires, and rubies may abound, but top quality stones are still quite scarce. Also, what you do with the stones (the "dress" you choose for them) can be as distinct as you are. :)

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, @mellowyellowgirl… a very good question. Wonder where you got the idea? :razz:
I do collect CS for fun - eg double star ruby, and Bekily blue and Kenyan color change garnets. in the end however, I did set and wear them, I also have a tiny Alexandrite, a star sapphire, maw sit sit, various jades and grandidierites that I don’t intend to wear or set - at least for how.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results