shape
carat
color
clarity

would you buy origin "undetermined" GIA stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ohlala

Rough_Rock
hi all :)

i'm looking at some green diamonds and a few have GIA certs that say origin "undetermined" they look very natural...not that overly green obviously treated ones. i have a green already but would like another one... it's so tempting to buy stuff when i see them around :razz:

would you buy one? it looks very natural...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ohlala|1394796336|3633916 said:

i'm looking at some green diamonds and a few have GIA certs that say origin "undetermined" they look very natural...not that overly green obviously treated ones. i have a green already but would like another one... it's so tempting to buy stuff when i see them around :razz:

Depending on its price, it's some kind of a gamble.
I have a few undetermined greens which I am pretty sure are natural as I planned and cut them, I am just waiting for some future date and perhaps GIA will have more definite answers.

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When a color is undetermined, as with greens more often then any other color, they wind up in limbo with regard to buying and selling. Most of the trade will avoid buying such stones. As stated previously, GIA is always working on future ways of determining if the color is natural or not on green stones as well as other colors.

DONDA PM

Rough_Rock
Trade

Can you let me what you have in undetermined diamond

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you send me details by email ****************
Mr Donda, you are a nice man and very knowledgable - but you have broken many rules here on this forum. You would be very welcome as a trade member - so I hope the moderators will help you. But they will delete your messages. BTW sorry not to see you at HK this year :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When a color is undetermined, as with greens more often then any other color, they wind up in limbo with regard to buying and selling. Most of the trade will avoid buying such stones. As stated previously, GIA is always working on future ways of determining if the color is natural or not on green stones as well as other colors.
I had this exact scenario last week Dan. A lovely marquise. The dealer had priced it as if it was say a D, but without clear solid paper work as a tread stone - it was 2-3 times the price. He called me in Australia from NYC pleading its virtues and how he knew the miners and cutters etc etc. He has owned it for 10 years and can not bear to part with it at treated prices.
Kind of like a limbo

mewing

Rough_Rock
I think you should avoid undetermined green diamonds at all cost. I met a particular seller who did not disclose the undetermined status of the diamond that he was planning to sell to me. It was a 2 carat yellow-green that was going for 18k, it was only after checking out the GIA cert that put me off big time.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr Donda, you are a nice man and very knowledgable - but you have broken many rules here on this forum. You would be very welcome as a trade member - so I hope the moderators will help you. But they will delete your messages. BTW sorry not to see you at HK this year :(

What just happened here? Am I the only one who is confused?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What just happened here? Am I the only one who is confused?

Sounds like Mr Donda was trying to post his contact details and initiate direct contact re: a transaction, which is against PS Trade Member rules, meaning the post(s) was/were deleted.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
This post was also from 2014 and bumped, so it's now being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results