shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy a clarity enhanced diamond?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2010 4:08:15 PM
Author: mickeyva
This may be a silly question - but how do you know if it was enhanced? Would the AGS/GIA certificate reflect this?

Thanks!
I believe I read this somewhere that GIA will not certify fractured filled diamonds. It said
GIA did certify laser drilled and I dont know about the first case that oldminer spoke of. I''m sure he has the
answer.

Someone correct me if they know otherwise.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2010 11:20:16 AM
Author:Taylorbug!
While looking for diamonds, I have notice there are ones that are CLARITY ENHANCED. Would you purchase one of these stones? Explain.

Nope.

Customer to Jeweler: "Can you tell me whether this is a diamond?"

Jeweler inspects diamond, determine that it is "clarity enhanced" (fracture filled) replies: "Well, sort of... It''s partially diamond and the rest is glass..."

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2010 4:50:21 PM
Author: tyty333

This may be a silly question - but how do you know if it was enhanced? Would the AGS/GIA certificate reflect this?

Thanks!

I believe I read this somewhere that GIA will not certify fractured filled diamonds. It said

GIA did certify laser drilled and I dont know about the first case that oldminer spoke of. I'm sure he has the

answer.

Someone correct me if they know otherwise.
GIA and AGSL will NOT grade fracture filled diamonds. The problem is twofold. Firstly, the treatment is not permanent and can be damaged by high heat or strong acids. It’s unlikely that you’ll encounter either during normal type wear but there is no way to be sure the stone looks the same as it did when the lab saw it without sending it back to the lab. This makes the whole point of having a lab report useless. Secondly, there is no accepted clarity grading scale for them. The closest people come is grading a stone SI1-CE or some such thing because the grader thinks it looks sort of like an SI1 based on the now less apparent inclusions. Since they’re still there, this is something of an illusion that doesn't fit their clarity grading approach and they don't want to modify the scale to include grading various levels of filled feathers. Some fills are remarkably effective and some barely have an effect at all so there would need to be a scale associated with the effectiveness as well as the size, relief and placement like there is with other inclusions. Drill holes and acid bleaching don't have either of these problems.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If I could just add one more point to this discussion, specifically about laser drilling. It is important to note that while this treatment is permanent and acceptable on grading reports it does add an actual inclusion to a diamond that was not there previously. While the laser drill hole should not affect the integrity of the diamond, it is a new inclusion.

Also I would add that in the last 10-15 years a more advanced form of laser drilling has been developed it is called internal
laser drilling. This treatment is caused by a laser focussed into an already existing inclusion causing an internal fracture to expand and thus reach the surface. This is subsequently soaked in acid to change the dark inclusion to white. While again this is unlikely to affect the durability of the diamond it is adding a new inclusion, or at the very least expanding an existing one.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote NO

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.

lasugar

Rough_Rock

a comment from this thread made me laugh... talking about how the diamond after enhancement like part diamond part glass lol

Like after fracture filling or laser drilling, what % of the stone is still diamond and what % is glass?

I personally dont think white diamonds should ever be touched, they should be sold the way they are. Nothing screams tacky like an enhanced engagement ring. Like when I think of them, I think of a CLARITY ENHANCED MARRIAGE.

Like, taking those lower quality stones and color treating them to fancy shades is one thing, but trying to make a white diamond something it''s not?...
I dunnoooo

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 3:17:19 PM
Author: Sparkles&Glitter
I wouldn''t either, for no other reason than it wouldn''t be mind clean to me.

ditto this

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
No, I wouldn''t.

crisnpearl

Rough_Rock
i wouldn't. can't stand the idea of little holes running through my diamond and glass filling
14.gif

unless i buy them for fun and fashion pieces for very little money. but then i think they are not even that cheap?!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, because one of the characteristics I personally prefer is clarity, true clarity. I don''t mind some VS2 10x stuff in there as it is a real stone, but I would rather keep the black boogers in the stone and keep it as it came from the earth. I''m weird that way. I don''t care much about color - D-Z - but I like clarity!

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
No, definitely not. I would always be bugged by the fact that it wasn''t a completely natural diamond. Even though visible inclusion bug the heck out of me, I''d rather have some natural inclusions then "filled" material in my stone.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
sure, if it was cheap enough. and i mean CHEAP! maybe for earrings or a pendant or something else but not for an ering.

hunt7191

Rough_Rock
Just had to chime in that now I know what "mind clean" means...I always thought some of you were referring to diamond mines that didn''t take care of their employees.
emembarrassed.gif

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 10:18:26 AM
Author: hunt7191
Just had to chime in that now I know what ''mind clean'' means...I always thought some of you were referring to diamond mines that didn''t take care of their employees.
emembarrassed.gif

I''m sure that''s a big part for a lot of people too.
2.gif

judeebee

Rough_Rock
What's an MMD?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re:

kenny|1269447713|2500625 said:
No.
I''d prefer a smaller one that was not CE.

agree completely. I would prefer a smaller, even lower in color stone than a CE stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1269535821|2502793 said:

Thanks!
GIA did certify laser drilled and I dont know about the first case that oldminer spoke of. I''m sure he has the
answer.

Both GIA and AGS will report for laser drilled diamonds (treatment is considered permanent) and will note treament in the comments, neither will grade fracture filled stones

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
Add me to the no camp. I'd rather a smaller natural stone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Also a no. I would rather go for a smaller diamond that has not been clarity enhanced.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Would I buy one? Nope, never, not a chance.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
While I would prefer a non CE stone, I wanted a diamond and therefore bought a .34 L I1 CE stone. Was it worth it? No, its more yellow than the average L and is badly enhanced...still has black carbon spots. Now Im looking to replace it, but for $50 it was a worthy experiment.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
wakingdreams53|1291166365|2783579 said:
While I would prefer a non CE stone, I wanted a diamond and therefore bought a .34 L I1 CE stone. Was it worth it? No, its more yellow than the average L and is badly enhanced...still has black carbon spots. Now Im looking to replace it, but for $50 it was a worthy experiment.

I think sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way..... like- how color sensitive we are... or whether or not we are happy with a CE stone. Agreed, 50 was worth the experiement!

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
I have a diamond that has the GIA # drilled into the stone, so does that mean it's enhanced??? Now I'm a bit worried... actually a lot worried. :errrr:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorri8|1291174553|2783751 said:
I have a diamond that has the GIA # drilled into the stone, so does that mean it's enhanced??? Now I'm a bit worried... actually a lot worried. :errrr:

You mean the laser inscription on the side of the girdle? If that is what you are referring to it's not enhanced.

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
yes that is what I meant... GIA laser inscription.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorri8|1291175072|2783761 said:
yes that is what I meant... GIA laser inscription.

no worries- laser inscription is not clarity enhancement!

kmt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Venturing out of lurkdom to ask if anybody's opinion would change if the diamond in question were of a superior cut? For example, an AVC like the one in this video. 1.73 I I1 - was listed for under $5k. http://www.vimeo.com/13036782

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Amys Bling :appl: You put my mind at rest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results