shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you bother changing this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I hate to admit it, but there is something about my e ring that bothers me, and I wonder if it''s just me, or if anyone else thinks it would bother them too if it were them! So anyway, here goes, my hubby proposed to me with a J or K marquise (.3) that he got in a little town in Korea 9 years ago. I''m sure there was not much to choose from, which would not have mattered because he didn''t know what he was doing anyway, but I was grateful for it because it was such a special event. That said, later we built from there and added a D radiant (about 1 ct)to the middle and got a matching marquise for the other side. I loved it for a long time, but I was 25 and I think my tastes were a little less refined than they are now. Ok, I''m getting to the point, I like j K colored diamonds, so don''t get me wrong, I just don''t like them in this particular shape and size next to my D stone, that''s all. When I look at it they look brownish at the tips especially, and I just think it would look so much better if they were colorless. I told my husband and he totally understands (which I thought he would not) and he did offer to replace them for a anniversary gift! I have learned that it could be done for around 1K and that''s alright, but I just wonder if it will be noticable or if it''s worth it for the price?! I guess I''m getting cold feet about changing it and I wonder what you all think? Here are some pics. Ususally I wear a band above and one below, but becuase I also got more picky about the quality of those, I am in the processes of upgraded those too, so I don''t have them right now.

isis89.JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you considered putting a halo around your centre stone and not having side stones? I think that would look gorgeous
1.gif

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I like the halo idea too, but I think upgrading the color of the sidestones would be worth it.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
i the halo crossed my mind, but 3 things:

1. i already have a 3.5 ct halo ring upgrade
2. i have never seen a combo llike this one, i get tons of "let me see that" wherever i go on this one.
3. i could not do a halo for 1K and that''s how much my hubby gave me to do it.

so i guess you can say i did mull it over a little!
emteeth.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also if you want to keep the MQ shape I think they would look great set east-west. Right not the compete too much with your center stone.

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Cut Rock,
I think I would replace the two marqs with 2 half moons if that could be done within budget. That would be just the right accent to my way of thinking. And, maybe a bit less than d in color would be okay ... say g-h?

How would you feel about that?

BB

BlackIsland

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of the upgrade in the colour of the two side stones. You would not lose the original look of the ring, but you would feel better about colour being a closer match to the centre stone.

And BONUS!!!! You would have two very nice marquis stones that could be made into some FABULOUS earrings. Talk about double duty. Just my two cents.

I am should be busy at work but I cannot concentrate. I am on the countdown to the big day! 75 hours till my wedding.

BI

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i know photographs magnify tiny little things, but i feel like the prongs are distracting. it also seems like the marquises compete with the radiant. i agree with Butter Bean that half-moons would look really lovely.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
actually, the prongs were never meant to look like that, the jeweler screwed up. they were suppose to be some less instrusive prong type, ibut when you go to pick up your engagment ring, you just want to wear it, so i overlooked it. anyway, i think to get the full idea, you need to see it with the bands. i am thinking about getting smaller bands right now. also, to reset to east west will probably be more like 2K than 1K, if i have to redesign the whole setting. i never had anyone say they over complete, maybe its jsut the picture, or maybe i shoudnlt ask such knowledgable people!!!!
emwink.gif

isis91.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh isis, I hope I didn''t offend you. Just giving you my honest opinion.
2.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2008 5:02:06 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Also if you want to keep the MQ shape I think they would look great set east-west. Right not the compete too much with your center stone.
I was going to say the same thing, E/W orientation of the MQs on the sides might look more fluid as well. If you love the MQ sides, I would get them in a whiter color to match your center stone better. You could take the original MQ and make a pendant with it, or keep both old MQs and make earrings or something.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think I would bother to change it. I like some of the ideas already posted.

I''d take the sidestones and make these earrings...

jtmarquise.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2008 6:56:56 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I do think I would bother to change it. I like some of the ideas already posted.

jtmarquise.jpg
Ooh, I love these! If the color difference is bothering you, then yes, I would change them. But I do like the idea of resetting the marquis into earrings...not that I don''t like your setting, I would just love getting 2 new jewels instead of one!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me, I''d make the marquis'' earrings and halo that radiant! You said you don''t want a halo, so my next choce would probably be to put the radiant in a thin pave band, or in whiteflash''s petite champaigne setting (though that will most llikely be over the 1k budget
5.gif
)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2008 6:56:56 PM
Author: TravelingGal

jtmarquise.jpg

Oooo love those earrings. Yeah, I''d make the marquises into earrings, and get two smaller radiants for a 3 stone ring, since you already have a halo. Or just keep it as a solitaire for an option.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, love the idea of the earrings and then putting the radiant on a pretty pave band since you don''t want a halo!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two suggestions depnding on whether you love your current setting or are thinking of a total overhaul:

1) If you love your setting, definitely I would consider changing out the marq''s to match the colour of the center stone. I also loooove J/K''s, but maybe not right next to such a colourless center diamond? So that change is totally something I would do! And you can make the J''K''s into gorgeous earings later on if budget doesn''t allow it now!

2) If you are seeking opinions on "what would you do with this combo" then I would make the marq''s into earings, and set the radiant puppy in a simple solitair, or a solitaire with little diamonds on the band, or add half-moons in a simple gold setting.... but that''s just my personal taste! I definitely lean towards "less-is-more"! But I appreciate the uniqueness and originality of your current ring, and changing out the marq''s to a higher color would really be gorgeous!
30.gif

DD
35.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you''re just asking about the exact same ring with higher color MQ''s - if so, I actually wouldn''t do it. They ARE a different color from you center, but they do balance each other and the 2 bands pull it all together. I LOVE the sentimentality of wearing the stone from Korea in you ER (vs in your ears). That said, if you and your hubby are not particularly sentimental about including your original stone in your ER and the color does bother you - then go ahead and switch to a higher color. However, if you''re open to different changes within you $1K budget that perhaps don''t include MQ''s (of any color) then that''s a different question altogether. Good luck.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
no, you didn''t offend me, that''s what i get for asking people with taste! i should have known better
emsmile.gif
no, really, i know it''s a weird combo and i hate the prongs, but like i said, we were two young people who did not really know that much about diamonds. i read rocky talky and almost have to laugh because people are soooooooooo detail oriented and it kills me that i didn''t know ANYTHING when i picked mine out! so anyway, now i know more, but the problem is i am sentimental about the combo, i mean, we picked the design 9 years ago, it was the only time we''d ever gone diamonds shopping together , you know, all that mushy stuff. i have thought of overhauling since then, but if i could just get over that darned SENTIMENTAL part, i would be okay!!!! i think i like the idea of taking the center out, putting it in a solitare, delicate setting, and then putting diamond and sapphire bands above and below, or maybe i am getting out of control again! i don''t like the halo idea and here is why, i have one with micropave, and i already cracked a micropave diamond. my jeweler says the ring is so beautiful, but NOT for everyday. i just wanted something i can wear on the plane, on the boat, carrying the diaper bag, 5 point harness seats, all that stuff, so that is why i want to wear my old ring. i have thought of overhauling before, so maybe its time to just get over it and do it! i know my hubby won''t care, its'' just so hard when i feel so sappy about it. so there it is. someone talk me out of feeling sentimental please!!!

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
darn, those are cute, thanks for posting that!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah Ha!!! So, you really would like a big change!? I LOVE the idea of the solitaire with the diamond/sapphire bands - I say go for it!

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
thanks motownmama! you know, i always like your posts, btw! i am considering big change, but like i said, i am worried about chaning it and feeling bad about how i have taken apart our first ring we made together. but, gee as long as i have ps support, then maybe i can get over it! i will look around for some premade settings that stay under 1K and post those and ask what ya''ll think. something that hopefully goes with the sapphire diamond band idea.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I say...change is good. Go for it if the ring bothers you. Personally, I really like your ring the way it is, but if you want a change, then go for it!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If hubby is on board, I say definitely change it if it bothers you! I like the other suggestions of using half moon, baguettes, or other sidestones and turning your MQ stones into amazing earrings. I think you could easily get away with F/G sidestones.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
what about this setting folks? the center is about 1 ct , but my radiant is narrower, so would that look strange? the sides are only .25 total. that makes me nervous, i will have less ring!

isis93.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Isis, since you feel very sentimental about this ring and don''t feel right dismantling it entirely, I''d suggest doing something else.

I''d replace the radiant with a beautiful sapphire stone, leaving the rest of the ring intact, and wear it as as a right hand ring. Reset the radiant into a simple solitaire or thin pave band for your left hand; you can add diamond/sapphire bands to flank it as you can budget for them.

I agree that the J stones don''t look right next to the radiant, but I think preserving that very sentimental piece that you get compliments on is important.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
i DID think of that! the sapphire idea that is! thanks, so now i know that is not a crazy idea, i can do that when buget allows.
emteeth.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m loving Allison''s idea!! Then you get the sentiment and a new looking ring with your radiant! Woo hoo!

DD
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results