shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you “lend out” your jewellery to a friend, work colleague?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will not lend the pieces that I treasure, either sentimentally or in terms of value, and certainly not to someone whom I do not know well.

If I say no, and the requester has issues with my decision, then it is his/her problem, not mine, and I won't feel guilty about my decision, or in losing his/her friendship as it is on shaky ground.

DK :))

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty relaxed about lending out pieces - clothing, jewellery, electronic appliances..
But only pieces I wouldn't be devastated about losing. Everything else: mother, sister, daughters only.
Certainly not a friend's niece for an event you weren't present at.
And being upset about your answer... Totally on her.

An acquaintance of mine ( self centered person) borrowed an irreplaceable necklace (huge, antique , gift from late husband) from her mom' s friend For her rehearsal dinner. She transported it in her $$$ designer handbag to the wedding venue in another country. While browsing at the airport shops she left it on top of a counter unattended for quite some time.
And you guessed right - it got stolen.

I was appalled she could be so careless.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whenever I lent out non-jewellery items to other people, they nearly always came back in less than desirable conditions.

The latest was catering equipment.

My heart sank when two of my small GN pans were returned with unsightly burnt marks and were buckled at the base, indicative of being heated directly (I have only ever used them in a water-bath).

OK, they were cheap to replace, however, that's not really the point.

I was asked to lend my equipment to this person by a friend, and when I voiced my issues with this borrower in the past, either directly or via the said friend, I was cited as being narrow-minded and petty.

Let's just say it won't be repeated as soon as I get them all back (he still has one of my pots).

DK :roll2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not feel comfortable with the situation you described. I, also, feel it was a bit presumptuous of people who were not close to you to ask to borrow your jewelry.

I did lend my very best diamond pieces to one of my closest friends in the world for a wedding taking place far away in a remote and crazy location at which I would not be present. She is dear to me, like a sister and I am the the godmother to her son. I certainly would not do this with anyone I knew casually. I have lent other jewelry to friends, however.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t consider asking a friend to lend me something valuable, far less take umbrage that they wouldn’t lend it to me.

In your position, I would’ve acted exactly the same. My DIL is notoriously careless, so if she asked to borrow something expensive of mine, I would say no.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we’ve got an update…..
Another friend called me. She had talked to our mutual friend X (I havent reached out to her since the last conversation) and turns out my friend X didn’t know they were “real” diamonds! Friend X thought the necklace was CZ diamonds so didn’t understand why I mentioned $10,000.
Friend X is now rather embarrassed, firstly that she had assumed they were CZ, secondly she wouldnt have asked me if she’d known they were actually “real” and thirdly she’s sorry she reacted negatively to my response.
So I called her and said it’s all ok, I’m not offended or anything and in actual fact I do have a CZ necklace and bracelet that her niece is welcome to wear. She thanked me about 50 times over.
Before she hangs up she says “Your engagement ring, that isn’t a white sapphire or something is it ?”
Ummmm …… no.
The “lendable” necklace shown ha ha
F87E0E68-E4B7-4224-80F3-A3505E9E9B25.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Reading the above update I of course had to then go back through all your old threads to find a picture of your e ring. Wow!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not reading any of the answers before I share my answer. Yes I would happily lend jewelry to family or a good friend. It's to be enjoyed and worn and it would make me as happy to have a loved one wear it as it makes me to wear it. That's the truth. It brings me joy to bring joy to my loved ones so heck yeah, happy to share!

@Bron357 your situation is with someone who isn't a dear friend so it is somewhat different than the situation I was talking about. I wouldn't lend an expensive piece of jewelry (ie my Cartier Black Opal) to someone who wasn't a good friend or family member. So I think you made the best decision under difficult circumstances. I am surprised she had the nerve to ask to borrow your expensive necklace and not even for her to wear but her niece. It is not fair of her to put you in that situation and IMO speaks volumes by itself. I wouldn't feel guilty politely declining her request. She never should've put you in this situation. IMO.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another friend called me. She had talked to our mutual friend X (I havent reached out to her since the last conversation) and turns out my friend X didn’t know they were “real” diamonds! Friend X thought the necklace was CZ diamonds so didn’t understand why I mentioned $10,000.
Friend X is now rather embarrassed, firstly that she had assumed they were CZ, secondly she wouldnt have asked me if she’d known they were actually “real” and thirdly she’s sorry she reacted negatively to my response.
So I called her and said it’s all ok, I’m not offended or anything and in actual fact I do have a CZ necklace and bracelet that her niece is welcome to wear. She thanked me about 50 times over.
Before she hangs up she says “Your engagement ring, that isn’t a white sapphire or something is it ?”
Ummmm …… no.

I am so glad this has been settled & you are still friends. The CZ necklace looks lovely too.

In answer to the original question, no. I would only share things around between mother & my sisters, which we have done on occasion.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ummmm …… no.

Can you pls post a pic of your non CZ necklace? So curious!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not reading any of the answers before I share my answer. Yes I would happily lend jewelry to family or a good friend. It's to be enjoyed and worn and it would make me as happy to have a loved one wear it as it makes me to wear it. That's the truth. It brings me joy to bring joy to my loved ones so heck yeah, happy to share!

Hey Missy, I am off to a fancy function (er.... somewhere.... near to where I work, everyday, yes that's it, I'm off to work....) and think your Cartier Opal would look stunning as I deal with snotty, injured, arguing children :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummmm …… no.

Hahaha I am glad your story has a happy ending and turns out she wasn't as nervy as originally thought. Though she really should do her research before making requests like that. LOL. Beautiful necklace @Bron357.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Missy, I am off to a fancy function (er.... somewhere.... near to where I work, everyday, yes that's it, I'm off to work....) and think your Cartier Opal would look stunning as I deal with snotty, injured, arguing children :lol:

Absolutely! For you my dear @Alex T, yes of course. :kiss::kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty relaxed about lending out pieces - clothing, jewellery, electronic appliances..
But only pieces I wouldn't be devastated about losing. Everything else: mother, sister, daughters only.
Certainly not a friend's niece for an event you weren't present at.
And being upset about your answer... Totally on her.

An acquaintance of mine ( self centered person) borrowed an irreplaceable necklace (huge, antique , gift from late husband) from her mom' s friend For her rehearsal dinner. She transported it in her $$$ designer handbag to the wedding venue in another country. While browsing at the airport shops she left it on top of a counter unattended for quite some time.
And you guessed right - it got stolen.

I was appalled she could be so careless.

OMG her friend's mom lends her a valuable piece of jewelry and this is how she behaves?
Appalling is right. How terrible. :(

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.
Actually I did lend my diamond pearl necklace and pearl drop earrings to a good friend of mind for her wedding. We did meet at work and new each other for about a year at that time.
She return my jewery safe and sound.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also just wanted to add my mom and sister would lend me anything I wanted and vice versa.
Before my parents gave me the black opal my mom had let me borrow it often.
Of course it is mom to daughter and that is very different than friend to casual friend.

This is it. It’s about $10,000 worth Aust dollar! 8B2CC4A5-002C-4D9E-8F93-DB959FB4D89A.jpeg 03842354-0C25-4066-B589-8A7BFF481006.jpeg

Gorgeous necklace. :love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This is it. It’s about $10,000 worth Aust dollar! 8B2CC4A5-002C-4D9E-8F93-DB959FB4D89A.jpeg 03842354-0C25-4066-B589-8A7BFF481006.jpeg

Oh yes, that beauty. She really has no idea about your lovely collection right? (Thinking about your gem hoard and other things)…

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
she’s not a “best friend” and it’s not even her who will be wearing it and taking care of it.

I’m feeling somewhat guilty and all that.

Yikes, I'm sorry that you're put into this uncomfortable situation. :rolleyes:I feel it's generous of you to even make her this offer! :shock:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never. If they want jewelry they can’t buy, let them rent it from a store.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG isn’t that the funniest, she thought they were CZ! I wonder how many of us have friends that think our jewelry is CZ but of course would never ask or say anything.

Glad this had a happy ending!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
to friends or colleague's? that would be a big fat no...to some family member's yes

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad it got sorted out! I was going to say, before reading your update, that she may have responded negatively out of embarrassment, a knee-jerk reaction in the moment. Makes even more sense knowing she thought it was CZ, hence she was confused as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see why your friend would think the necklace was perfect for a wedding. I'm so glad your other friend helped get
to the bottom of the uncomfortable situation and so nice of you to offer up another necklace.

I would lend to my Mom, daughter (when she's older) and other close family members. My Mom doesn't really need to borrow
from me because she has her own stuff. I did borrow a large opal pendant from her because it matched the color of the dress I was wearing. Her rings wont fit me so nothing to borrow there!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummmm …… no.

I'm so glad the situation was straightened out, and that your friend now understands where you were coming from. I had been thinking that maybe she hadn't realized how expensive the piece was. Nice when these things turn out to be just a miscommunication!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lend my things to my goddaughter (20 years old) - who expects nothing - to wear places I'm going with her. On the other hand, we're close enough that I've bought her a bunch of things, so she has her own, age appropriate, pieces, all of which she loves.

I'd lend my 2 best girlfriends my jewelry, my handbags, any of my clothes, and so on.

They don't ask, tho, and wouldn't want the responsibility.

@Bron357 - I'm glad this was sorted out. I totally understand the mistake and am relieved it was resolved; the older I get, the more precious are my friends. I'm also pleased for you both that you had something you could lend. What a nice lady you are!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results