shape
carat
color
clarity

Would love input on Sapphire ring CAD design in progress

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I heard back from David regarding the prongs and milgrain and he said they were quick and easy adjustments to make. I always appreciate how ready and willing David is to make changes :)).
Since you all loved the top tier left polished, I was going to ask him to leave it that way and then I could add the milgrain later if I wanted. I had an appointment and didn’t get a chance to write him back quickly enough. He started working on making the changes right away and the ring is finished and on its way to me!
I can always have the milgrain polished out if I like the polished look better. It’s nice that I’ll be able to see it both ways and decide what I like best.
I haven’t received pictures of the ring since the prong and milgrain updates were made yet, but hopefully will soon!
We are also having a winter storm with a blizzard warning here, so my overnight package with the ring was supposed to be delivered today and has been delayed until Tuesday!!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh good lawd, have mercy... s t u n n i n g ! ! First, I didn't realize how beautifully cut your sapphire is. :mrgreen2: About the milgrain, I realllllly love how the entire "D" shaped area surrounding each diamond is textured. But then the scallops above it and below it (in the gallery) are highly polished. I feel like this variation in the finish is creating layers, depth, and richness. Personally, and it's not even a question for me, I wouldn't touch it. About the prongs, I think this is going to be a more "personal taste" thing. Some folks are strictly claw prong people, some love the rounded style, and some enjoy a mix. I can see why David elected to use rounded here, because there are 10, and they are minimally intruding upon the sapphire. I like them. But I'd probably also like the claws. Totally up to you! Lastly, the "gaps" you mention just look like a function of the design to me, and I'm not bothered by them whatsoever. But this is your unique beauty (and my opinions don't matter in the slightest), and you should request whatever changes you'd like to see until you're 100% satisfied. I'll love this ring regardless, of that I'm certain!!
Thank you! I just looked at the Lotus report and it says the cut is an Antique cushion shape with a brilliant crown and a step pavilion. They did switch the prongs to tiny claws. He said either way would look good because they’re quite small. I’m excited to see the changes!

OMG this ring is so stunning. I personally love the difference in texture and rounded prongs, but like Autumn said, all that matters is what you like! Please post handshots when you get it, however you choose to change it (or not) I'm sure it will look amazing.

Thank you! I will post handshots once it arrives :))

It's magnificent!

+1 to all this. I think the milgrained lower tier and the smooth upper tier read clearly as a coherent design concept. Same with the gaps between the two tiers.

FWIW, I'd have chosen pointed claw prongs. Here's a very rough-and-ready edit. (Don't look too closely at the details. :)))
RingClaw.jpg

Of course, it's your preference that counts, not mine, Also, there may be technical issues. Your ring will look absolutely stunning either way.

Thank you so much for this!! The difference is quite noticeable and I do like the claws better.

Same here. It gives the design definition and depth. I like it a lot.

Looking at the claw vs round prongs comparison image, I agree with Autumn - a matter of personal taste as they both look lovely and fit in well with the overall design.

I do like them both and I hope I’ll like the claws better than the rounded since that’s what the ring will have. Thank you!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the look of the milgrain on as is, next to areas of polish - same as others have stated. I’d leave it. :love:

The prongs?? - I’m not quite sure there’s enough material to fashion what’s there down into claws, honestly. I’m not an expert though. I’d ask what it entailed to make it happen.
Could be a trick of the eye, but a few seem right now to be just hanging on barely past the center stone’s girdle -
Then on the one side view - it sure looks like a variance of prong lengths from one side to the opposite side?
Petite claws will look nice, but I do really like the current shape as is for this design as well.
I do see the areas you mention about the gaps. I don’t think it’s just a photo shadow. I doubt it’s structural - but if it bugs you - ask about it. I have mixed feelings about asking to have them filled in- due to a past experience with this. :(
I’d forget about them unless you have naked eye supervision :) or even just consider it a sign of separate cast pieces being individually hand assembled - not a mass produced one piece cast.

I can’t wait for you to post pics of this beauty on your finger!!

You made excellent points! Thank you! I’m hoping since David said they prongs were an easy fix that there’s still a sturdy amount of gold left there. I did ask him to look the prongs over and make sure they‘re all the same length. I noticed too that a couple looked a little longer in the pictures, but I never know with the close-ups if things look that way in person or if it’s a reflection of light.
The little gaps at the points didn’t come up in his reply..I think I know what you mean about having mixed feelings about asking to have them filled. It could end up looking
worse or cause damage to try to fill them. I used to have naked eye super-vision, but as I’m getting older my near vision isn’t as good. I doubt I’ll be able to see them without my reading glasses on :lol:.

That’s a killer ring!!! Omg. Ditto to what @Rfisher and others say.

Thank you so much!! :))

OMG I love it! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Thank you! I love your sapphire ring and I do hope it finds it way back to you soon!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to see your photos. Regarding the milgraining, the heart wants what the heart wants. My ER was supposed to have milgraining everywhere but came with polished bezels. Everyone including my hubby said to leave it that way and I tried to live with it for months. Eventually it went back to add the milgraining to the bezels. It's perfect now. So maybe a good thing he already had started the changes.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to see your photos. Regarding the milgraining, the heart wants what the heart wants. My ER was supposed to have milgraining everywhere but came with polished bezels. Everyone including my hubby said to leave it that way and I tried to live with it for months. Eventually it went back to add the milgraining to the bezels. It's perfect now. So maybe a good thing he already had started the changes.

Thank you and I‘m so glad you shared this! I have always loved the look of a faux milgrain bezel around a center stone and while this design isn’t exactly a bezel, milgrain around the center stone was a design element I really wanted it have. I think I am going to love it :))

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My ring arrived this week :))! I like the changes to add additional milgrain and claw prongs. I‘ve tried to take decent pictures a few times, but between the bad winter lighting and my camera acting up it hasn’t worked out. I’ll have to try again this weekend with another camera..
694BEE31-DB2F-4DFC-A7E4-20329F53B212.jpeg

I wanted to ask for thoughts on the way the shank is attached to the head.
In the inspiration pics and drawings there is a solid solder line across attaching the shank to the head, so I was thinking the ring would be the same. The ring is only attached at the sides of the shank with a gap across the center of the shank. I wrote David to ask about the long term sturdiness of it being attached this way, but haven’t heard back yet. It is something I notice, maybe because I was expecting it to be a solid attachment, but I’m still trying to decide how much it will bother me. I am very pleased with the ring overall.
Is this style of shank attachment something that’s common in vintage style rings? Thoughts are appreciated :))
5696F314-E90F-4B7B-94F4-D34A61CB8B87.jpeg

Last edited:
Good grief that's a beauty. *Autumn briefly loses consciousness.* I think those who advised you to opt for the claw prongs (and your own intuition) were 100%. @2Neezers May we see the profile but so the shank gallery is visible? I want to take a look at how the sides and bottom of the shoulders are attached to the head.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Autumn in New England ! The claw prongs were a great choice and I'm happy David changed them and am also thankful for all of the claw prongs votes :))

Here’s a picture of the side profile. I hope it gives a better idea of how it’s attached.
1207AC6C-D68F-4D1B-89EA-150E5D68920E.jpeg

I also found the last cad David had sent me, this was after I had asked for holes behind the halo diamonds for easier cleaning. He said to ignore the different colors on the cad, but looking at it now, I’m wondering if it’s showing two separate parts/pieces. If so, there are more solder points than I had originally thought.
33974E23-650A-4F2E-B362-2FA617A41816.jpeg

I have been wearing the ring to see if the air gap at the shank connection catches my eye, and since it does, I think I should see if David can fix it. I was thinking about what you wrote about intuition, and as much as I want to let it go because it would be less hassle, the gap is going to bother me. I haven’t heard back from David yet, but plan to reach out again after the holiday weekend.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo!

Love the color and cut of your sapphire!!!!! Blue sapphires for the win! I'm a convert!

Since you're sending it back, thought I'd bring this up too.

Is this just the camera angle or is something going on with the metal in this part? It looks like there is missing metal? My apologies if it's just the camera! I can't tell if it's metal reflecting or missing metal.

1207AC6C-D68F-4D1B-89EA-150E5D68920E~2.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hallo!

Love the color and cut of your sapphire!!!!! Blue sapphires for the win! I'm a convert!

Since you're sending it back, thought I'd bring this up too.

Is this just the camera angle or is something going on with the metal in this part? It looks like there is missing metal? My apologies if it's just the camera! I can't tell if it's metal reflecting or missing metal.

1207AC6C-D68F-4D1B-89EA-150E5D68920E~2.jpeg

I love blue sapphires too! I think that‘s just a weird light reflection..I looked the metal over with a loupe when the ring first came and I didn’t notice any missing metal. The lighting is so bad here today and my iPhone is taking mostly distorted blurry pictures. I’ll double check that area though and will report back! Thanks for letting me know :))

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love blue sapphires too! I think that‘s just a weird light reflection..I looked the metal over with a loupe when the ring first came and I didn’t notice any missing metal. The lighting is so bad here today and my iPhone is taking mostly distorted blurry pictures. I’ll double check that area though and will report back! Thanks for letting me know :))

Haha I should have known that a PSer would loupe the entire ring!

Hope to see this in the "What are you wearing today" thread when you're done with it!!!!!!

Thank you @Autumn in New England ! The claw prongs were a great choice and I'm happy David changed them and am also thankful for all of the claw prongs votes :))

Here’s a picture of the side profile. I hope it gives a better idea of how it’s attached.
1207AC6C-D68F-4D1B-89EA-150E5D68920E.jpeg

I also found the last cad David had sent me, this was after I had asked for holes behind the halo diamonds for easier cleaning. He said to ignore the different colors on the cad, but looking at it now, I’m wondering if it’s showing two separate parts/pieces. If so, there are more solder points than I had originally thought.
33974E23-650A-4F2E-B362-2FA617A41816.jpeg

I have been wearing the ring to see if the air gap at the shank connection catches my eye, and since it does, I think I should see if David can fix it. I was thinking about what you wrote about intuition, and as much as I want to let it go because it would be less hassle, the gap is going to bother me. I haven’t heard back from David yet, but plan to reach out again after the holiday weekend.

I am quite fussy about my gems, but tend to lack the particularity (is this a word?) that some PSers have for jewelry design. In that respect, I've learned a tremendous amount here. So, in all honesty, I might not have even recognized that gap as an issue. But now that you've pointed it out and shown how it was not evident in the CADs, I think you're making the right decision in bringing it to David's attention. It almost sort of looks like an ill-fitting joint now that I'm zeroed in on it. I don't think there would be a durability issue, but would the ring be MORE sound if the top of the shoulders were soldered to the head? I believe so. Let us know how it turns out! One thing's for sure, you have a very beautiful, special ring to look forward to... tweaks are just part of the process sometimes. :)

ETA: All of what I wrote aside, and as you said, if this issue bothers you now, it will only intensify in the future. So now is the time to address it!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha I should have known that a PSer would loupe the entire ring!

Hope to see this in the "What are you wearing today" thread when you're done with it!!!!!!

Do you mean that everyone does not loupe their entire rings? :lol:
I double checked the metal and thankfully, what was showing in the picture ended up just being a reflection.
I love the “What are you wearing today” thread and need to join in the fun more often!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am quite fussy about my gems, but tend to lack the particularity (is this a word?) that some PSers have for jewelry design. In that respect, I've learned a tremendous amount here. So, in all honesty, I might not have even recognized that gap as an issue. But now that you've pointed it out and shown how it was not evident in the CADs, I think you're making the right decision in bringing it to David's attention. It almost sort of looks like an ill-fitting joint now that I'm zeroed in on it. I don't think there would be a durability issue, but would the ring be MORE sound if the top of the shoulders were soldered to the head? I believe so. Let us know how it turns out! One thing's for sure, you have a very beautiful, special ring to look forward to... tweaks are just part of the process sometimes. :)

ETA: All of what I wrote aside, and as you said, if this issue bothers you now, it will only intensify in the future. So now is the time to address it!

Thank you @Autumn in New England ! I don’t want to be picky or a pain in the you know what customer. That’s also why I asked what people thought about the gap, because I wasn’t sure if I was being overly particular. I think the shank shoulders will look better with a solid connection to the ring head though. Hopefully it’s an easy tweak!

I hope it didn’t come across in any way that I’m not happy with the ring. It’s actually the opposite and I love it!! I’m so glad you and all of the other PS’ers encouraged me to stick with this design and helped me work through the details. I’ve been wearing the ring everyday since it arrived and I really enjoy looking at all of the design details while I’m wearing it. It will be hard to have to pry it off my finger and ship it back to David!

Thank you @Autumn in New England ! I don’t want to be picky or a pain in the you know what customer. That’s also why I asked what people thought about the gap, because I wasn’t sure if I was being overly particular. I think the shank shoulders will look better with a solid connection to the ring head though. Hopefully it’s an easy tweak!

I hope it didn’t come across in any way that I’m not happy with the ring. It’s actually the opposite and I love it!! I’m so glad you and all of the other PS’ers encouraged me to stick with this design and helped me work through the details. I’ve been wearing the ring everyday since it arrived and I really enjoy looking at all of the design details while I’m wearing it. It will be hard to have to pry it off my finger and ship it back to David!

No, no, your excitement is palpable (and contagious)!! Keep us posted... I can't want to see your glamour shots once she's been fine tuned. :mrgreen:

Do you mean that everyone does not loupe their entire rings? :lol:
I double checked the metal and thankfully, what was showing in the picture ended up just being a reflection.
I love the “What are you wearing today” thread and need to join in the fun more often!

When I receive a new piece, I am extremely anal about checking all the stones to be sure they're tight and secure. But I tend to avoid louping the finer points of the ring itself. I'm afraid to what extent I will take my OCD.
nuts.gif
You, on the other hand, made all reasonable choices with regard to any tweaks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results