carat
color
clarity

Would like your opinion on this Aquamarine please

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1305642512|2923873 said:
Thanks TL. I like that one for color, it's just smaller. What do you think about the pricing on these! I know that a good part of the cost is for the precision cutting. Could I do better overall for color plus cut? How do I contact Andrew to discuss them?

I think you're paying a huge premium on the cutting. I've noticed that his more recent stone additions have gone way up in price, and I'm not sure if it's due to some popularity he's getting, or the fact that rough in general is more expensive due to enormous gasoline prices these days. I personally would try to search out a site with older rough if you're on a budget.

Lapigems.com also has some aqua too, but I'm not sure if it's precision cut, but it's well cut.

Really fine aqua is very rare to come by and will be expensive no matter what, but I refuse to pay high prices for overly grey gems, no matter how dark in tone they are. That's just me however. I personally think aqua is a really overrated gem, and I'm very biased against it. If you love aqua, don't pay attention to me!! :???:

ETA: I also personally rather have the smaller one because I think it's fairly priced if the color is accurate, and it could be older rough. I rather have a finer colored one of smaller size than one that's larger with meh color. It's $100 more per carat than the first two you posted, but the color on those are so meh, and I wouldn't pay $100/ct for them. I just find them unattractive. The color on the bottom one is more like Princess Diana's bracelet and ring posted above. ASK HIM IF THE PHOTO IS ACCURATE FOR COLOR, I've known him to be truthful on that.

Also, beryl faces up large for it's size due to it's relatively low density, so a 2 carat stone has ample size.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1305643095|2923878 said:
Bright Ice, what do you think of these:
http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=1757
http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=989
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sparkling-IF-VVS-TOP-AAA-SANTA-MARIA-AQUAMARINE-3-48CT-/220774265773?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item33672bf3ad
I have no idea if they're perfect since I'm a CS noob, they're just a few I found that I thought were pretty
(I've been looking too, can you tell? ;-))

Athena,
The PI ones are so grey, and the bottom ebay one is so enhanced in it's image, it's scary. I was looking at PI the other day and I thought they were very expensive, and the stones had a lot of grey.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1305405689|2921911 said:
Bright Ice ~

Just for comparison, check out mastergoldcraft on etsy. He has aqua that is not at all pale and is well cut.

It is my birthstone too. I had Jeff White cut an aqua for me not long ago and I am extremely pleased. I used to hate my birthstone but not anymore! :D

I adore Doug but I agree with TL: that particular gem, unless the color representation is waaay off, is overpriced.

~ faegrace

Faegrace, I was wondering if you could post a photo of your Jeff White aqua? He has some available but I would like to see it before deciding. I have asked him to send me a photo of a finished stone he has cut from the parcel of rough.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Bright Ice ~

I can try to take pics later today but here are some Jeff took and they are spot-on. Really.

BYL059.jpg

JW%20aqua%20custom%20antique%20cushion_0.jpg

I hope this helps. I cannot say enough about how beautiful an aqua it is. Not the lagoon color, true but S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G in-hand. The combination of the gem's color and Jeff's cutting is superb.

~ faegrace

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! That's incredible!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1305731066|2924795 said:
Bright Ice ~

I can try to take pics later today but here are some Jeff took and they are spot-on. Really.

BYL059.jpg

JW%20aqua%20custom%20antique%20cushion_0.jpg

I hope this helps. I cannot say enough about how beautiful an aqua it is. Not the lagoon color, true but S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G in-hand. The combination of the gem's color and Jeff's cutting is superb.

~ faegrace

Thanks Faegrace. That stone is beautiful :love: How long back was it that Jeff cut it for you? What is the cut and how big is it? If you don't mine me askling how much per carat did he charge for it?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Bright Ice ~

Jeff cut my aqua a couple of months ago. (It's killing me trying to decide on a setting....)
It is 4.01 carats and 9.1mm, custom cut - - - resembles an antique square cushion though.
His price was very fair for the color and his cutting skills. I don't feel comfortable discussing exact amount paid in open forum.

I hope that helps. There's a storm out today, so no pics. :angryfire: Thirty MPH winds in CA in May?!? Argh.

~ faegrace

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1305754555|2925135 said:
Bright Ice ~

Jeff cut my aqua a couple of months ago. (It's killing me trying to decide on a setting....)
It is 4.01 carats and 9.1mm, custom cut - - - resembles an antique square cushion though.
His price was very fair for the color and his cutting skills. I don't feel comfortable discussing exact amount paid in open forum.

I hope that helps. There's a storm out today, so no pics. :angryfire: Thirty MPH winds in CA in May?!? Argh.

~ faegrace

Thanks Faegrace. I understand completely. I am waiting to hear from Jeff to see what size rough he has available. I really like the cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results