shape
carat
color
clarity

Would like your opinion on this Aquamarine please

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I think I am ADICTED to colored gems and it is all the fault of PS : :cheeky:

I am interested in this stone and would like some opinions on color and cut.

4.9ct Asscher Aquamarine, 10 x 10 x 8.5

Aquamarine 4.jpg

Aquamarine 3.jpg

Aquamarine 2.jpg

Aquamarine 2.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Front view

4.9ct Aquamarine.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutting superb, but it's not the best color for an aqua (trade preference). It's rather pale. Pale aquas tend to look glassy, and get dirty fairly easily. It earns high marks in the cutting department though, and some people prefer cutting to color, so if you're one of those, then go for it. At least it is cut deep which may help the color a bit.

BTW, aqua is one of the few gemstones that is valued more for darker tone than richer saturation. Therefore, many expensive aquas still have a lot of grey in them, even though they are darker in tone.

For an example of a fine aqua, see this photo.

http://www.raymondcyard.com/raymond/shop/pages/jewelry_shop4.asp

It has nice saturation and is a great deal darker in tone than the one you're considering. However, the price point may be acceptable for the stone above. I don't know how much it costs.

ETA: I saw the price, and I think it's rather expensive for the color. I think you're paying more of a premium for the cutting, which is fine, but know what you are paying for. Also check out greenish blue aquas that have been unheated. They are very pretty. I have to disagree with the vendor description that it's not pale. Again, I don't know how accurate his photos are, but for what he is charging, I would want a darker toned aquamarine. I do think this one is on the pale side.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1305399461|2921832 said:
The cutting superb, but it's not the best color for an aqua (trade preference). It's rather pale. Pale aquas tend to look glassy, and get dirty fairly easily. It earns high marks in the cutting department though, and some people prefer cutting to color, so if you're one of those, then go for it. At least it is cut deep which may help the color a bit.

BTW, aqua is one of the few gemstones that is valued more for darker tone than richer saturation. Therefore, many expensive aquas still have a lot of grey in them, even though they are darker in tone.

For an example of a fine aqua, see this photo.

http://www.raymondcyard.com/raymond/shop/pages/jewelry_shop4.asp

It has nice saturation and is a great deal darker in tone than the one you're considering. However, the price point may be acceptable for the stone above. I don't know how much it costs.

ETA: I saw the price, and I think it's rather expensive for the color. I think you're paying more of a premium for the cutting, which is fine, but know what you are paying for. Also check out greenish blue aquas that have been unheated. They are very pretty. I have to disagree with the vendor description that it's not pale. Again, I don't know how accurate his photos are, but for what he is charging, I would want a darker toned aquamarine. I do think this one is on the pale side.

Thanks TL, I trust you know your colored gems. That is why I am posting before making quick decisions :praise:

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I haven't posted in a while...

Both my children are born in March and aqua is the birthstone. My favorites are called Santa Maria Aqua. I haven't bought one yet because of the price. Topaz and Blue zircon come in a smiillar color pallet and can be less expensive. I toy with buying one of them instead...as I am more interested in the color than the stone. Sometime in the next 20 years I will get one!!
http://www.modernjeweler.com/web/online/Colored-Gemstone-Gem-Profiles/African-Aquamarine/1$292

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bookworm240|1305401470|2921853 said:
I haven't posted in a while...

Both my children are born in March and aqua is the birthstone. My favorites are called Santa Maria Aqua. I haven't bought one yet because of the price. Topaz and Blue zircon come in a smiillar color pallet and can be less expensive. I toy with buying one of them instead...as I am more interested in the color than the stone. Sometime in the next 20 years I will get one!!
http://www.modernjeweler.com/web/online/Colored-Gemstone-Gem-Profiles/African-Aquamarine/1$292

The aqua in the modern jeweler article is a very very very rare color in aqua, as even though some have dark tone like that, most are way too grey. This is my Nigerian aqua (aqua is my birthstone and I have seen a billion over my years of collecting). Note the dark tone, but how it's more grey than the Modern Jeweler aqua. Please forgive the hideous setting, I need to reset it one of these days, but I bought it around 15 years ago, and the setting fit, so I didn't care.

You almost never ever see aqua like the MJ one. It just doesn't exist. Santa Maria or no, that is one fine aqua, as I have seen Santa Marias that are still very greyish blue. I prefer Mozambique copper bearing tourmaline to most aquas. It seems more saturated (although not in all cases).

TLScissorsAqua8ct_v2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with TL. I have an aqua asscher in a very similar colour to the one you're considering. It looks very icy. If you want a pale icy gem then go for it.

Also like TL I love the more darker blue aquas. I have two and one of them could almost be a sapphire. I personally find them more interesting BUT they're incredibly difficult to find.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I derfer to TL's gem-smarts....after years of looking I have decided that color and cut is what matters to ME...can't wait to see what you decide!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Bright Ice ~

Just for comparison, check out mastergoldcraft on etsy. He has aqua that is not at all pale and is well cut.

It is my birthstone too. I had Jeff White cut an aqua for me not long ago and I am extremely pleased. I used to hate my birthstone but not anymore! :D

I adore Doug but I agree with TL: that particular gem, unless the color representation is waaay off, is overpriced.

~ faegrace

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have suggestions as to where to find a good color, well cut, reasonably priced aquamarine? Somewhere in the 3-5 ct range.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Well gosh darn, I had been looking for where i had seen or heard about Lagoon beryl and you found it for me, TL. Do you know where any additional info can be found, if any, on it, TL?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amethystguy|1305426422|2922077 said:
Well gosh darn, I had been looking for where i had seen or heard about Lagoon beryl and you found it for me, TL. Do you know where any additional info can be found, if any, on it, TL?

Email John Dyer about it on his website.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1305421685|2922023 said:
Does anyone have suggestions as to where to find a good color, well cut, reasonably priced aquamarine? Somewhere in the 3-5 ct range.

Most of the precision cutters seem to only have pale material from what I've seen. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want a precision cut gem, in the case of aqua, you might have to forsake color a bit.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL ~

Just found examples of Lagoon Beryl. Delicious!!!

~ faegrace

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Before the Mozambique Pariaba Tourmaline was found, there was some nice darker Aquamarine coming out of Mozambique. Then the tourmaline find came up, and there was a rush to mine that, and the aqua was kind of abandoned. THe past few years, the tourmaline is tried up and the aqua is stating to be mined again, but it seems the color isn't as deep. Darker aqua is very scarce, and what is being found is rather expensive.

My avitar is one of the older Mozambique unheated stones, but Im not seeing this color anymore at this time. (the avitar stone is long gone sold years ago)

Rough dealers are asking pretty high prices now for lighter material. I don't know if there is such a thing as a good deal on darker clean aquamarine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1305431678|2922137 said:
Before the Mozambique Pariaba Tourmaline was found, there was some nice darker Aquamarine coming out of Mozambique. Then the tourmaline find came up, and there was a rush to mine that, and the aqua was kind of abandoned. THe past few years, the tourmaline is tried up and the aqua is stating to be mined again, but it seems the color isn't as deep. Darker aqua is very scarce, and what is being found is rather expensive.

My avitar is one of the older Mozambique unheated stones, but Im not seeing this color anymore at this time. (the avitar stone is long gone sold years ago)

Rough dealers are asking pretty high prices now for lighter material. I don't know if there is such a thing as a good deal on darker clean aquamarine.

In that case, I don't think it's worth it to pay such high prices on light aqua, as it is very glassy looking, and if there isn't color going for it, then what? I do hear you though because I've also noticed that darker aqua is hard to come by. I would just skip buying aqua altogether in that case because the darker material is overpriced, and too grey, and the lighter material is too glassy.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Light colored aquas tend to get dirty easily in my experience. Like others mentioned, I'd wait for a more saturated aqua.

Are you looking for precision cutting? Because that might be a tougher bill to fit.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1305435536|2922160 said:
PrecisionGem|1305431678|2922137 said:

In that case, I don't think it's worth it to pay such high prices on light aqua, as it is very glassy looking, and if there isn't color going for it, then what? I do hear you though because I've also noticed that darker aqua is hard to come by. I would just skip buying aqua altogether in that case because the darker material is overpriced, and too grey, and the lighter material is too glassy.

Agree, I will move on to another gem. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrightIce,
That's probably a wise decision. I find aquamarine to be highly overrated anyways (but everyone on PS knows I'm not the biggest aqua fan :oops: ). When I first started collecting, aqua was my birthstone, and I had to get one, and then I had to get a nicer one, and I was on pursuit of aqua for many years. As I started finding more and more interesting stones out there, aqua kind of fell off the radar for me, as it couldn't live up to the standards I set for myself as far as color is concerned. It's a popular stone, but that's because it's relatively abundant in pale shades, and so it's highly marketed. I feel the same way about all other beryls, except for fine Colombian emerald, and bixbite is too rare in sizes over a half carat, so I just forgot about that. I have three huge aqua rings that I never wear. :((

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Bright Ice ~

Sometimes you fall in love with a color and then pursue a gemstone in that range, you know?

It does boil down to personal preference. Just because something is common/readily available, doesn't make it a mistake or worthless. Hey, there are celebs who could've afforded orchids but chose daises instead....

Anyway, certainly don't overpay for something readily available. (I think that was what you were originally asking?) BUT don't discard something you're drawn to because it's not the rarest, most expensive, etc. Shortly after joining PS, I had to have a 'talk' with myself to discover it is okay to like whatever I like. (I still want a large amethyst for a pendant!) PS is a phenomenal resource to find out if you're getting a deal, would be paying too much, etc. PS is extraordinary as a source of brainstorming, as a place to share with others who truly appreciate the love of CS. PS educates, gives alternatives. Researching all the leads on the threads could definitely be a full time job! PS just cannot tell you what you like.

That said, it sounds like a different blue gem may be in order here. Best of luck on your hunt! :D

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1305469400|2922296 said:
Just because something is common/readily available, doesn't make it a mistake or worthless. Hey, there are celebs who could've afforded orchids but chose daises instead....

That's because they don't read Pricescope! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bright Ice, I think aqua asschers are very pretty but as many have indicated this one looks pretty light so would be more icy than blue. I find these type of stones only look blue under cloudy skies. FInding a good color aqua takes a lot of time and will command a premium price but well worth the search. I hope you find something you love soon.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im not a CS expert and can't comment on the color. I do like the size and cut though.

If you are not feeling the lightness of the aqua, i hope you find 1 you love in your gut. Because utimately you don't want to make a purchase that causes you to 2nd guess a buying decision, in any way :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a long shot, but you might want to contact Dana at Master Cut, as over the years, he seems to have collected great amounts of rough of all different kinds. Now here are the equivocations [forgive me Dana for being honest, but I think you would agree with these :wavey: ]:

1. If he has any rough to begin with;

2. If he can find it (it seems like he has so much - boy, I'd love to be a fly on that wall - and his organizational system sounds a bit challenged);

3. If you don't have a hard and fast deadline, but are okay waiting until he gets to it (time has a way of getting away from Dana and he admits that with the farm and garden, he doesn't cut much this time of year); and

4. If he will cut an asscher if that is what you have your heart set on. He has mentioned in the past that he has done his fair share of asscher cuts and now seldom gets the urge to cut one...

But of course, totally worth with it if he has something to offer you :appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1305491164|2922498 said:
This is a long shot, but you might want to contact Dana at Master Cut, as over the years, he seems to have collected great amounts of rough of all different kinds. Now here are the equivocations [forgive me Dana for being honest, but I think you would agree with these :wavey: ]:

1. If he has any rough to begin with;

2. If he can find it (it seems like he has so much - boy, I'd love to be a fly on that wall - and his organizational system sounds a bit challenged);

3. If you don't have a hard and fast deadline, but are okay waiting until he gets to it (time has a way of getting away from Dana and he admits that with the farm and garden, he doesn't cut much this time of year); and

4. If he will cut an asscher if that is what you have your heart set on. He has mentioned in the past that he has done his fair share of asscher cuts and now seldom gets the urge to cut one...

But of course, totally worth with it if he has something to offer you :appl:

Thanks for your suggestion, I just may do that. Anything is worth a try :bigsmile:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I'm looking for an aqua myself. I've been hunting one or wanting one my whole life, I guess because I love the ocean, I love that color of the water :love: it's just so relaxing, therapeutic almost. Aquamarines and pearls, they go together so well! LIke the ring and bracelet here, diana141.jpg I have asked my jeweller to get me one, more green than blue, an un heat treated one, something not washed out, or looking like a blue topaz. It's hard to find for sure, the links in this thread had gorgeous examples of really nice stones. But, way out of my budget for sure. I may check out some of the stone vendor posted.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think about these two Aquas? Available by GemFix. Cut by Andrew Guliji

3.62 Radiant Cut.jpg

3.63 Cushion Radiant Cut.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1305635512|2923814 said:
What do you think about these two Aquas? Available by GemFix. Cut by Andrew Guliji

I think the top one is slightly more saturated than the bottom one, but they're both not top color. What does Andrew say about them? At least I do see some darker tone in these, but I also see lots of grey, which plague aqua.

I prefer this one at the bottom of his aqua page better, if the photo is accurate. It has more saturation than those two, and less grey.

aquamarine_530.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL. I like that one for color, it's just smaller. What do you think about the pricing on these! I know that a good part of the cost is for the precision cutting. Could I do better overall for color plus cut? How do I contact Andrew to discuss them?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results