shape
carat
color
clarity

Would it be blasphemous to set my emerald cab the same way as a jade cab?

Should I just halo this emerald cabochon as though it's a jade cabochon?

• Yes

Votes: 25 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased this beautiful emerald cabochon. It's inspired a ring design that I picture as a bright, happy beach-colored, ocean themed treasure platter, but it's presenting such a challenge for me to communicate with the jewelers.

Sometimes I have a hankering for a nice green jade cabochon ring, and although this emerald cabochon isn't jade, under some light settings, such as the setting California sun, it positively glows just like my idea of an imperial green jadeite.

Should I just scrap my ornate design and go with a simple diamond halo, which I know I will enjoy? Or persevere to try and create an original "art" piece that will cost more and will probably get worn less?

The ornate design would feature the emerald set E-W, but if I were to do a classic white diamond halo in platinum, I would probably have it set N-S.

Calling @icy_jade @Burmesedaze @mellowyellowgirl @Bluegemz and anyone else who has jade cabochons set in a diamond halo to comment and hopefully provide some inspiration pics as well!

Edit: I just realized my poll question is asked the opposite way of my title, so if your opinion is no, it's not blasphemous, you should vote yes! I can't seem to change the poll question now that I posted it. Doh! :facepalm::wall:

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_181942379.jpg
    PXL_20210409_181942379.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, I have toyed with the same idea myself. No use spending money (large or small sum) on something you know you will hardly wear. In short, set it in whatever design that pleases your heart, eyes, and mind.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I have toyed with the same idea myself. No use spending money (large or small sum) on something you know you will hardly wear. In short, set it in whatever design that pleases your heart, eyes, and mind.

Thanks for your input, Chrono!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the one who voted NO, when I meant YES. Sorry I messed up the voting poll.

ETA
I can change my vote so I did.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Should I just scrap my ornate design and go with a simple diamond halo, which I know I will enjoy? Or persevere to try and create an original "art" piece that will cost more and will probably get worn less?

When you put it like this, the choice is clearly the simple halo. I’m a big fan of setting stuff that will get worn and is more bang for the buck.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
ooooo that emerald is delightful! It looks like a jelly bean!!!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Halo halo halo!

Rakuten has plenty of emerald cabs diamond halo rings, if you need inspiration. I was going through their designs like crazy just a while back.

You have many assorted rings and designs now in your collection. Perhaps think about what else may make your heart sing and your fingers reach out for, more.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes THIS

what’s blasphemous either way, @voce ?

I guess maybe it's that I'm using emerald to "substitute" for good jade? Like, it'll maybe satisfy the itch for glowy green cab in a diamond halo, but I didn't have thoughts of setting the emerald this way UNTIL I saw it in the setting sun and thought it looked like jade.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted Yes! It’s very pretty and I would halo it and wear it. The only reason I wouldn’t is if I was still hankering for a jade cabochon in a halo and planned to buy one in the future. Then I might stick with the original plan.
eta: I’m also not opposed to having two similar rings though…;))

Last edited:

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
I say go for the halo!
I've a jade cabochon set in halo and it gives me a bit more finger coverage lol

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
What about instead of a typical diamond halo, adding different diamond shapes or adding a more geometrical design so it feels more artisanal

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Emeralds are also beautiful. I love your cab. I vote for a halo too.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely emerald cab! It would be really pretty set with a diamond halo :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a drop dead gorgouse emerald !
I never took any notice of jade before i joined PS but i now know how beautiful (and exspensive) it can be
i see no reason why you shouldn't set it like jade
especially if you are more likely to wear it that way
=)2

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased this beautiful emerald cabochon. It's inspired a ring design that I picture as a bright, happy beach-colored, ocean themed treasure platter, but it's presenting such a challenge for me to communicate with the jewelers.

Sometimes I have a hankering for a nice green jade cabochon ring, and although this emerald cabochon isn't jade, under some light settings, such as the setting California sun, it positively glows just like my idea of an imperial green jadeite.

The ornate design would feature the emerald set E-W, but if I were to do a classic white diamond halo in platinum, I would probably have it set N-S.

Calling @icy_jade @Burmesedaze @mellowyellowgirl @Bluegemz and anyone else who has jade cabochons set in a diamond halo to comment and hopefully provide some inspiration pics as well!

Edit: I just realized my poll question is asked the opposite way of my title, so if your opinion is no, it's not blasphemous, you should vote yes! I can't seem to change the poll question now that I posted it. Doh! :facepalm::wall:

Nope, it's a great idea!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone!! Do whatever makes your heart sing! Can’t wait to see it set. I find myself really loving cabs lately and yours is just gorgeous!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Not mine but I like these and would be quite happy with some version of them. Of course if you have a bigger budget the halo can always be bigger and more elaborate but I’ve posted those with smaller halos/melee diamonds as lower setting costs maybe = more budget for new stones right.

I think most halo designs for any kind of cabs/or even faceted stones can be adapted for jadeite.

What have you shortlisted so far, if you are going for the simple look this time?
453681CB-64E0-4302-B175-7BE3B83CEC82.jpeg A2057EEA-1FD4-4E10-8D4C-C8E66806CBBA.jpeg
FC2CCFBC-0161-4946-B270-0203C624A97B.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
What have you shortlisted so far, if you are going for the simple look this time?
453681CB-64E0-4302-B175-7BE3B83CEC82.jpeg A2057EEA-1FD4-4E10-8D4C-C8E66806CBBA.jpeg
I think I'm leaning towards a double halo, not overly elaborate but with some geometric interest. I like the first and third that you posted. Here are a couple other designs I'm considering for inspiration.

Screenshot_20210516-111059.png
Screenshot_20210516-111242.png
I would not go with yellow anywhere on the ring or in the halo, just like the shape and outline of the second screenshot I posted. I will need to figure out the size and proportions of the diamonds in the halo, since the cab itself is just shy of 10x8, but the size of the center stone in the inspiration pictures may be bigger. I need to think of an elegant gallery for this ring. I kind of want to feature some simple but symbolic motif, but haven't decided exactly what.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should 100% halo it and wear it. :mrgreen: I sometimes think, "oh, I don't know if this is the perfect choice for setting this stone..." and it paralyzes me, and yet, settings are changeable!! What if you subsequently happen across a perfect jade cabochon that is of similar dimensions? You could then free the emerald to go be whatever it wants to be, and replace it with jade in the simple halo setting!

Or maybe the emerald will look perfect and comfy and at home in a halo forever. You don't have to know the answer right now, but setting it and wearing it is always preferable to paralysis. ;)) This is one reason I should not buy loose stones... it is much easier to give this advice than it is to follow it. :lol:

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I think you should 100% halo it and wear it. :mrgreen: I sometimes think, "oh, I don't know if this is the perfect choice for setting this stone..." and it paralyzes me, and yet, settings are changeable!! What if you subsequently happen across a perfect jade cabochon that is of similar dimensions? You could then free the emerald to go be whatever it wants to be, and replace it with jade in the simple halo setting!

Or maybe the emerald will look perfect and comfy and at home in a halo forever. You don't have to know the answer right now, but setting it and wearing it is always preferable to paralysis. ;)) This is one reason I should not buy loose stones... it is much easier to give this advice than it is to follow it. :lol:

Not mine but I like these and would be quite happy with some version of them. Of course if you have a bigger budget the halo can always be bigger and more elaborate but I’ve posted those with smaller halos/melee diamonds as lower setting costs maybe = more budget for new stones right.

I think most halo designs for any kind of cabs/or even faceted stones can be adapted for jadeite.

Top grade jade or emerald more commonly put in halo rather than prongs or bezel?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Top grade jade or emerald more commonly put in halo rather than prongs or bezel?

Usually halo for jadeite but I think it’s more of a personal preference. Seldom bezel, mostly prongs from what I see irl and top tier auction items.

Jade/emeralds don’t sparkle, so a halo or some diamonds in the settings helps make the ring look nicer imo.

Also if you bezel, there is higher risk of damaging stone if you want to remove from setting.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
What vendor did you get the cab from? It’s gorgeous!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results