carat
color
clarity

Would greatly appreciate some help!

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

So glad to have found this forum.
Looking to finally tie the knot and I am super excited about proposing however i need an honest opinion!

My Budget is 4K and I just ordered this diamond last night from James Allen alongside a 14k setting..

i chatted with one of the “pros” on James allen and they recommended this one over a few other ones I showed..

Whats making me second guess it is that it is IGI .

Diamond was $3250

Reactions: Kya

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
Good Diamond or should I cancel and try again? I’m nervous haha

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
Paired it with this one

aisa901

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't worry too much about the IGI cert, can you share why they recommended this stone over the others? Were these the color and clarity specs you specified to the JA rep?

Just speaking from my own experience with an oval, I wouldn't go with an H in this shape if setting in white gold or platinum, they do tend to show color more than rounds. G color or higher would be my preference, and then you could go down in clarity like VS2 or VS1 would be fine.

I don't think it will have a dark bow-tie, maybe faint which I've read is unavoidable with this cut pattern, the ends look lively, but you it might have more of a "crushed ice" vibe between the ends and belly which means it will have many small sparkles in those area's, but you might notice a "reverse bow-tie" in some lighting conditions where the belly and ends will be bright and white, and the crushed ice part will appear slightly darker. Also, the girdle looks a little thick to me.

Luckily you have a 30 day return policy so you can assess the diamond in all kinds of lighting situations, which you should do, before finalizing your decision, and hopefully @tyty333 will also give you her expert advise.

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't worry too much about the IGI cert, can you share why they recommended this stone over the others? Were these the color and clarity specs you specified to the JA rep?

Just speaking from my own experience with an oval, I wouldn't go with an H in this shape if setting in white gold or platinum, they do tend to show color more than rounds. G color or higher would be my preference, and then you could go down in clarity like VS2 or VS1 would be fine.

I don't think it will have a dark bow-tie, maybe faint which I've read is unavoidable with this cut pattern, the ends look lively, but you it might have more of a "crushed ice" vibe between the ends and belly which means it will have many small sparkles in those area's, but you might notice a "reverse bow-tie" in some lighting conditions where the belly and ends will be bright and white, and the crushed ice part will appear slightly darker. Also, the girdle looks a little thick to me.

Luckily you have a 30 day return policy so you can assess the diamond in all kinds of lighting situations, which you should do, before finalizing your decision, and hopefully @tyty333 will also give you her expert advise.

Thanks for your advice!

She recommended this stone over two other ovals because she said this girdle was thinner and it would sparkle a bit more than the others. She said it would be a bright white color in person.

As you mentioned , definitely going to take advantage of the 30 day return policy and take a good look at it!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Maybe have a close look at this one?
7.8x5.2mm
You'll have to ask for the report to see if there are any inclusions that would inhibit transparency and light return, but it doesn't appear cloudy or hazy in the rotational view.

Last edited:

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
It's a fairly solid oval - a small amount of mushiness. I'm more concerned about the width of the solitaire. The forum often recommends going over 1.8 mm at a minimum to reduce warping and out of rounding.
Some alternatives:

The first two are my favorites and virtually eliminate mushiness, but I love chubby ovals.

For rings, I prefer:

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice!

She recommended this stone over two other ovals because she said this girdle was thinner and it would sparkle a bit more than the others. She said it would be a bright white color in person.

As you mentioned , definitely going to take advantage of the 30 day return policy and take a good look at it!
The cut reminds me a lot of my stone, and so far the most common reaction I've gotten is about the sparkle, but I think I have great sparkle at the expense of reverse bowtie/balanced brilliance in some lighting situations, which is fine for me. Like most things in life, it's all about trade offs.

I'm sure the girdle is fine, just hard to tell from the video, if you have the certificate, feel free to post it, it may be helpful in getting more feedback, and also good to consider some of these other options being thrown at you too.

Last edited:

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Maybe have a close look at this one?
7.8x5.2mm
You'll have to ask for the report to see if there are any inclusions that would inhibit transparency and light return, but it doesn't appear cloudy or hazy in the rotational view.

Nice find, that is a clean looking Si1!

aisa901

Rough_Rock
It's a fairly solid oval - a small amount of mushiness. I'm more concerned about the width of the solitaire. The forum often recommends going over 1.8 mm at a minimum to reduce warping and out of rounding.

Great point about the thickness of the band, I have a 1.8 mm and it is dainty AF, I'd be hesitant to go any thinner. Definitely something OP should also consider.

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
Great point about the thickness of the band, I have a 1.8 mm and it is dainty AF, I'd be hesitant to go any thinner. Definitely something OP should also consider.

Def going to change the band, didn’t think about that.

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
You all are amazing !!!

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
The cut reminds me a lot of my stone, and so far the most common reaction I've gotten is about the sparkle, but I think I have great sparkle at the expense of reverse bowtie/balanced brilliance in some lighting situations, which is fine for me. Like most things in life, it's all about trade offs.

I'm sure the girdle is fine, just hard to tell from the video, if you have the certificate, feel free to post it, it may be helpful in getting more feedback, and also good to consider some of these other options being thrown at you too.

06DDB013-A6D4-4D2A-9ED2-48BD92A4633D.jpeg Thoughts on this ?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!

For "amateurs," no need to overthink. Unless she cleans it daily (like soak and with a toothbrush), it will almost immediately lose clarity, brilliance, and even color grades in appearance. She may do that for the first few weeks. Spouse's ring was about that budget a few decades ago and it gets cleaned maybe annually. We can still pretty much tell it's a diamond, though :P2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did any of you guys order it?? Sold!! Lol...

Did you request the report for this one from @DejaWiz? If so - post it here.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-si1-clarity-sku-13159261?a_aid=psloose

Here's another that's worth mentioning because faceting is pretty but it's smaller, those mains will go dark E/W, and it has a central black inclusion - I prefer DejaWiz's choice if the report pans out.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.91-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-11838171

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
Rep said it has a feather inclusion but “hard to say if it will impact diamond performance “

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Rep said it has a feather inclusion but “hard to say if it will impact diamond performance “

Looks great! The feather probably won't affect transparency and light return at all, since it's rather small and located near the edge of the girdle. This is a dreamy SI1, in my opinion... I've seen VS2 diamonds that are more included.
If you still want to give it some thought before making a decision, then contact JA and put it on hold so someone else doesn't buy it out from under you.

RandyNJ

Rough_Rock
Looks great! The feather probably won't affect transparency and light return at all, since it's rather small and located near the edge of the girdle. This is a dreamy SI1, in my opinion... I've seen VS2 diamonds that are more included.
If you still want to give it some thought before making a decision, then contact JA and put it on hold so someone else doesn't buy it out from under you.

I went ahead and successfully changed it!!

I appreciate all the help and I will be sure to post a picture once I get it !!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I went ahead and successfully changed it!!

I appreciate all the help and I will be sure to post a picture once I get it !!

That's fantastic! Looking forward to seeing pictures!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
So glad everyone could help you with the stone! I’m going to be a bit of a contrarian here and say that I like thin bands and just know that damage could happen and I could have to replace it (and that the ring is insured).
I have multiple 1.3-1.5 width bands (though some have a height of 1.7) and haven’t had a problem yet and I rarely take off my rings (another bad habit!)

If you or she likes the setting and recognizes damage possible (and gets it insured) then enjoy wearing it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results