shape
carat
color
clarity

Would Black gallery diamonds take away from center stone?

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
As some of you may have seen, I've been bombarding these boards lately with questions regarding my e-ring. I'm about to pull the trigger on the vatche swan solitaire, in 18k yellow, but plan on putting black stones as the 4 gallery stones. I want to know if this would have an effect on the center stone. Would black be visible from the top/sides/when looking through the center stone? Or should the color of those stones have no effect on the brilliance of the center stone. Would hate to have something take away from the WF ACA center stone I purchased :)

Vatche-191-Swan-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Yellow-Gold_gi_1375_2-48237.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what did WF say about it? i"m no expert but i think since it's not directly under the stone and on the sides at an angle, it should be ok. i'd give WF a call and talk it out just for peace of mind though. i looked up some pics of surprise settings with sapphires (they look just fine) but the Swan is so unique with two stones on both sides.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would not use black diamonds..I don't think that the stones will have any affect on brilliance per se, but I do think that they will detract. I honestly would use any other color, but black; yellow diamonds, pink, champaigne may work. In the end, I would prefer to have them colorless, but I am not the one wearing the ring! ;-)

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I'm so torn! WF told me that the black diamonds won't affect the color of the main stone, but may be a little less fluid in design due to the contrast of the black diamonds.

I don't know what to do! The GF **LOVES*** black diamonds, which is why I wanted to add that as a special touch, but at the same time, I don't want to do something that won't look good. I'm stuck right now.

Also, does anyone know how difficult it would be to have the surprise stones re-set to white diamonds if I find out she or me, don't like it? Though I know it would have to be done by Vatche for warranty purposes...

Any more thoughts or help would be great!

:(

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That Swan setting, the black diamonds will be more noticeable than on other surprise stone settings because there are two stones on each side and they're not tucked under like most others are. What about a setting where the surprise diamonds are tucked more under? That way they are still visible to her when she is looking at it on the finger but not quite as noticeable to anyone else? You're still not going to have a completely fluid look but it's not one of the first things you'll see when looking at the ring.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1758.htm

Or simply have a black diamond put in the shank of the Swan setting? you have a lot of ideas! lol! You could always save the black diamond idea and make that an anniversary gift, a thin stacking black diamond band for her wedding set...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone on here good at Photoshop and able to 'colour-in' the stones in the picture in the first post?

Might help give an illustration of what it would look like :)

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
I love the swan too much, compared to every other design I've seen. And looks right down my gf's alley in terms of style and class :)

I was considering the idea of the shank, but I already am putting in a tanzanite or sapphire there, so think it may look strange with 2 stones in the shank.

The idea of the black diamonds was something I REALLY wanted to go with and I know the gf would be thrilled, I just don't know if I can envision the exact end product and would hate to be disappointed :(

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
Is anyone on here good at Photoshop and able to 'colour-in' the stones in the picture in the first post?

Might help give an illustration of what it would look like :)

OMG that would be amazing. Anyone??? Here's another 2 images...

Vatche-191-Swan-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Yellow-Gold_gi_1375_1-48236.jpg

Vatche-191-Swan-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Yellow-Gold_gi_1375_6-48241.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No Photoshop really (and don't laugh:)), but here is a basic mock-up. I do have to say, I don't dislike the contrast considering that the setting will be in yellow gold.

Vatche-191-Swan.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Call Whiteflash. I'm sure they've been asked to do sapphire surprise stones before. They'll know if there's an issue. If they *don't* affect/cause a darkness in the main stone and she loves black diamonds, I think it'd look cool.

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
No Photoshop really (and don't laugh:)), but here is a basic mock-up. I do have to say, I don't dislike the contrast considering that the setting will be in yellow gold.

Vatche-191-Swan.jpg
Haha, thank you so much! I did a little fiddling like that myself, and to be honest, I like it :) And looking from the top, all you see is the solitaire, and then from the sides you catch the black stones. I think it's perfect :) The yellow and black like you said, seem to just contrast nicely :)

Call Whiteflash. I'm sure they've been asked to do sapphire surprise stones before. They'll know if there's an issue. If they *don't* affect/cause a darkness in the main stone and she loves black diamonds, I think it'd look cool.
Thanks! I'm giving them a call and putting the order through after I make sure of this. She did mention to me through email that no light will be blocked and the top stone shouldn't look any different, so I'll just confirm, and will go ahead with the black diamonds :D EEK.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I'm giving them a call and putting the order through after I make sure of this. She did mention to me through email that no light will be blocked and the top stone shouldn't look any different, so I'll just confirm, and will go ahead with the black diamonds :D EEK.

I am happy that you made the decision. If she loves black diamonds, then she will appreciate the surprise stones. Worst case - you an always upgrade them later to something else, but this will surely be an unusual ring.
Please post pics once you get it! ;-)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i agree with you, the swan is SO gorgeous, if i had a solitaire that's what i'd have! I do love the look and really if she LOVES black diamonds, she's gonna adore it. I think a black diamond band down the road too to pair with it would be SO stunning! Can't wait to see pics!

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
Just called and confirmed that the surprise stones will have no affect on the center stone due to the way it is set on the inside. Bit the bullet, and placed my order :) Can't wait to see it, and I'll be sure to post pictures!

As for upgrading the surprise stones, apparently it may require completely opening up the prongs that hold them in, which would mean breaking them open, and likely require more work and possibly a new setting. Hopefully nothing like that is ever required!

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
i agree with you, the swan is SO gorgeous, if i had a solitaire that's what i'd have! I do love the look and really if she LOVES black diamonds, she's gonna adore it. I think a black diamond band down the road too to pair with it would be SO stunning! Can't wait to see pics!
That's actually what I'm thinking would be perfect. There is a matching wedding band with stones, and I think rotating between white and black melee on that would look fantastic with this ring. You folks here are amazing :)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just called and confirmed that the surprise stones will have no affect on the center stone due to the way it is set on the inside. Bit the bullet, and placed my order :) Can't wait to see it, and I'll be sure to post pictures!

As for upgrading the surprise stones, apparently it may require completely opening up the prongs that hold them in, which would mean breaking them open, and likely require more work and possibly a new setting. Hopefully nothing like that is ever required!

WOOHOO! i don't think you'll have to replace the black stones, if she loves them that much. She will definitely be impressed at the thought you've put into this ring!

That's actually what I'm thinking would be perfect. There is a matching wedding band with stones, and I think rotating between white and black melee on that would look fantastic with this ring. You folks here are amazing :)

YES, absolutely would be gorgeous. I like the idea of alternating with white and black melee because the black stones can blend all together and the beauty of them kinda gets lost unless you're looking up close. And the band is so perfect, it's low profile so it won't cover up the side view of the black stones on the e-ring when she's wearing the band. such an exciting project!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get her a black diamond right hand ring. I would not put black diamonds on an engagement ring or wedding band. They are not brilliant and do not reflect light from within, so they really add nothing to a ring but black color. I'd only do it for a fun ring. And that goes for the wedding band, too. Please leave the wedding band with all white diamonds.

Last edited:

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
They did a quick photoshop for me and I think I like it even more than I thought I would. I understand about them not being brilliant, but she has always wanted black diamonds, black is her favorite (color) and being surprise stones, I don't think they will take away from any brilliance.

Here's a photoshop image WF teased me with :)

edit1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did she say specifically that she wanted them in her engagement ring? Because I love black, too. I wear it a lot. I want some black onyx jewelry set in yellow gold, in fact But I would not want black in my wedding set. I also love sapphires, but again, I'd want them in a right hand ring or other jewelry. That's all I am saying. If she showed you examples of engagement rings with black diamonds, then I am all for this idea.

impied

Rough_Rock
It looks super cool! I think the black diamonds look quite regal on the bottom.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have friends who would just die for this. So I get it. If she would just die over some black in her engagement ring- I think this is a great way without effecting the overall look of the ring on the hand.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks really good because while not brilliant, they are polished and reflective. And if she loves black diamonds, having accent ones will make her very happy - it looks great with yellow gold. Please come back with pictures when you get the ring!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like two black round things there at all.
Looks like eyes of some creepy insect hiding under the diamond. :knockout:

Not fond of white diamonds there either, but they don't look as creepy and disturbing as the black ones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did she say specifically that she wanted them in her engagement ring? Because I love black, too. I wear it a lot. I want some black onyx jewelry set in yellow gold, in fact But I would not want black in my wedding set. I also love sapphires, but again, I'd want them in a right hand ring or other jewelry. That's all I am saying. If she showed you examples of engagement rings with black diamonds, then I am all for this idea.

Ditto.

My favourite colour combination is green and purple. I wear a LOT of green and purple, usually together.

I wanted neither green nor purple anywhere near my engagement ring. Please make sure she wants black on her engagement ring - the ring she will hopefully wear for decades, every day, to any and all events, to suit any and all styles... Can you ask a close friend, mother, sister?

Black, yellow gold, and diamonds can look wonderful together - onyx inlay styles are vintage classics. My concern here is that this design is so far from anything "vintage classic" - the contrast looks forced to my eyes: two design elements combined deliberately to draw attention... If she likes this sort of anachronistic stylistic fusion - fantastic!! If not, a black diamond band could be a low-risk high-reward alternative.

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for both sides of thought. I have to say that reading everything here makes me keep considering contacting WF to switch it back to white diamonds over and over. I talked to the gf and tried to pry it out of her without giving away details on the setting etc, just asking how she feels about black diamonds in her engagement ring, etc...and the thing she kept telling me is to get her whatever I like and whatever I pick out and she'll love it. She did also remind me she's always wanted a yellow gold with a black diamond ring and that she also loves the contrast of the black to the yellow gold. That she just wants something that doesn't look over the top but still something that I chose and put together. I'm still on the fence after reading and re-reading these comments!

I just need to make a quick call on it soon before it's too late. I may consider asking for a black diamond in the shank and siwtch back to white diamonds in the surprise settings - but then I feel like it will also look like so many other swan solitaire's and may not have the wow factor of the black diamonds where they currently are.

Again, thank you everyone for your input and thoughts. Even though it makes my life a bit difficult, I like to get thoughts from everyones perspective. It does help!!! :)

AlexOnFire

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
Okay, opinions aside regarding the black Diamond on an engagement ring. But I mocked up some quick pictures of something I was thinking about. I see lots of rings with alternating white and black diamonds and was thinking about what the gallery diamonds would look if I followed that. Meaning, two white and two black, alternating. That keeps the black Diamond idea, but also keeps some white. Thoughts on my mockups? Good? Bad? Too much going on?

Note, theres 4 surprise diamonds on the Swan, so it would alternate, white black white black.

Screenshot_20170604-040434.png

Screenshot_20170604-040325.png

Screenshot_20170604-040546.png

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
Okay, opinions aside regarding the black Diamond on an engagement ring. But I mocked up some quick pictures of something I was thinking about. I see lots of rings with alternating white and black diamonds and was thinking about what the gallery diamonds would look if I followed that. Meaning, two white and two black, alternating. That keeps the black Diamond idea, but also keeps some white. Thoughts on my mockups? Good? Bad? Too much going on?
Definitely no. It looks like you're missing a diamond and there's a black hole there instead.

Going back to the idea of having black diamonds in this ring - I have been following this thread but haven't had anything to contribute; others have said it well. But it occurred to me when I was reading your last post, about how she really likes black diamonds with yellow gold, that while this may be the case… the setting could make all the difference. So the question might really be does this setting work well with black diamonds and not so much can you put black diamonds in her engagement ring.

Like Yssie said, black onyx/diamonds lends itself very well to vintage styles but modern (engagement ring) styles don't really seem to work. Because it will be so difficult to swap the stones in the case that she did not like it, I'm inclined to say get white diamonds and reserve black diamonds for either a band or a right-hand ring.

Or, since she already knows that you are considering black diamonds with the ring, just show her the design and let her decide for herself :mrgreen:. To still keep it somewhat of a surprise, maybe you could show her 10 different ring designs and ask her if there are any particular ones that she would not like black diamonds used instead of white ones?

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want to have both white and black why not have one side with two black diamonds, and the other with white. that way she can decide day by day which side she sees most often by just flipping it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. It looks incomplete. Either stick with one (black or white for all). I really think ILikeShiny hit the nail on the head. The style of this setting does not suit the black stones. I would stick with white and let her include black diamond in one or two stackers. There are so many styles she can choose from to integrate the black.

pZALE1-13629720t400.jpg

il_340x270.1099421459_bs0u.jpg

il_340x270.1117364071_ek3u.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with rockysal and Ilikeshiny, let her design a wedding band with black diamonds in it (and one without if desired). That way depending how
she feels she can rock the black diamonds or go more neutral with all white diamonds. I think letting her design her wedding band would be a great
option and allow her to put in as much or as little black as she desires.

BTW...I love the swan setting too...so beautiful!

You can go to www.etsy.com and search for black diamond wedding band and find lots of ideas.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results