shape
carat
color
clarity

Would anyone buy I1 over SI2....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Codeine works for me but it has that damn falling asleep side effect.
2.gif

HCA Link: http://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

Ask vendors for pictures & reports. They will comply.

p5r799

Rough_Rock
MDX,
That's cool to know, thank you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Johan ...I want to find one of those for my next pendant.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Johan....that's great information, but kindly don't muddy the waters by bringing to bear an fantastic point.....why dilute the waters!
naughty.gif
naughty.gif
naughty.gif

Just kidding - an EXCELLENT point......which is why so many were trying to nicely say "not ALL I1 stones are the same."

Ta-da!

Johan.....you're FANTASTIC!

p5r799

Rough_Rock
Mara,
Thanks for the info.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Whew.....I need a martini now.....maybe three!

Someone please pass the olives?

p5r799

Rough_Rock
A,
All about the tactic? He didn't attack.
twirl.gif
He informed. Damn, did I stir the water?

p5r799

Rough_Rock
Crap,
I'm not going to hear about the drama thing again, am I?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 5:22:42 PM mdx wrote:

This thread is pretty long but if I may add something on I1 at this late stage you might find interesting.

In the diamond trade there is an unofficial grading called “Bluff Stones” These very popular diamonds are usually cut to excellent proportions (increasing visual performance) of high color D-F with scattered colorless inclusions but graded I1. The I1 grading is a result of the large number of scattered colorless inclusions not the size of the inclusions. It is not uncommon for these “Bluff Stones” to be completely eye clean to the naked eye but visible under a loupe.
These diamonds represent excellent value if you are looking for a large low cost stone that looks good.
Possibly not the best stones to buy on the net, as they are not easy to describe in words.

Johan
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd
----------------

Some dealers seem thrilled about these when they can get them. When I was out looking one dealer just HAD to show me this GREAT I1 he had found. Good color and a fine make. And BIG. He was so PROUD.

Too bad for him that I was looking for a VS stone, but I'm sure he'll have no trouble selling that puppy.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 4:28:34 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------

On 1/9/2004 3:59:45 PM strmrdr wrote:

Unless a vendor I trust says hey I have an eyeclean si2/si3/I1 you would like I wouldnt look below si1.

The rest of the specs would have to be in line with what I like of course but you get the idea.

The I1's I looked at in the mall stores and local b&ms were nasty.

----------------

Some of the E stones I looked at in the mall stores were nasty, too.

Making a comparison to I1 stones found at the mall and I1 stones from reputable vendors who sell well-cut stones is like comparing the local variety corner store with Wal-mart.....they aren't the same thing AT ALL.

Don't look at anything below SI1? Hogwash.....*look* at anything that would put you where you'd really like to be, and then rule out the ones that don't pass muster.

----------------

Did you even read the part where I said the I dont care about the rating as long as its eyeclean? You didnt bother quoting it.
Maybe im imagining it and its not there!

Is it wrong that I would play the odds and shorten my search by sticking with si1 or better unless a vendor I trusted pointed out a lower rated eyeclean diamond.
Which is exackly what happened with the 2 mentioned that bought I1's.
I dont mind ya smackin me around when I deserve it but sheeesh excuse me for having an opinion on this one.

p5r799

Rough_Rock
<-- looks around frantically

Who's smackin' who?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Gone doing good deed & four pages!

Yep, let's do a poll. One that is absolutely the best!

I'm afraid to tic the suscribe box.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious P5r - why do you think you are a newcomer? You registered last year 3/03 to be exact.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 5:43:59 PM p5r799 wrote:

<-- looks around frantically

Who's smackin' who?----------------

just about everyone is smackin you around.
Its old school bbs speak.
one step up from an attack and one step down from a friendly disagreement.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/9/2004 5:40:31 PM strmrdr wrote:

Did you even read the part where I said the I dont care about the rating as long as its eyeclean? You didnt bother quoting it.
Maybe im imagining it and its not there!

Is it wrong that I would play the odds and shorten my search by sticking with si1 or better unless a vendor I trusted pointed out a lower rated eyeclean diamond.
Which is exackly what happened with the 2 mentioned that bought I1's.
I dont mind ya smackin me around when I deserve it but sheeesh excuse me for having an opinion on this one.

----------------

Hi, stormy! You devil

11.gif
11.gif

No, I didn't miss the part where you said "I don't care what it's rated".....but then you followed that up with "don't go below SI1". Considering that Princess' question asked about the diff between SI2 and I1, it seems as though she's trying to hit a desired size (or color or cut) and not sacrifice *too* much. Telling her don't go under SI1 runs counter to that.....even though I know you didn't mean to.

And no, there isn't anything wrong with limiting one's search....in fact, I debated strongly in favor of that very point a day or two ago. BUT......before you can dispense that, you need to know where someone is trying to be in the first place. Saying "limit your search to SI1" when someone is debating between SI2 and I1 (presumably to get a tradeoff on better color or more size or better cut) isn't really shortening one's search so much as starting in the totally wrong place....in my opinion. Kinda like saying "Hey, when you buy a new car, stick to either Mercedes or BMW" when the person buying only has a $15K budget........yanno?

I think you're just weakened from that nasty flu......I have some chicken soup brewing for you!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to clarify my point waaaay back on page 1 of this discussion.

I should have been more clear, but I meant my post to be more of a general observation about diamond consumers. I'm not saying that a stone below VS1 or VS2 can't be beautiful. I'm just saying that a lot of consumers seem to focus so much on the size of the diamond. I think the general diamond consumer (which excludes most of you who post here I'm sure) thinks that only size is important. I would much rather have a small diamond that is beautiful than a large one that isn't as beautiful.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yummy chicken soup!
I fixed chicken broth for lunch today was pretty good.

I see where your coming from and I guess I did answer in general instead of specific to the situation presented.

Its all kewl :}

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
"Is it wrong that I would play the odds and shorten my search by sticking with si1 or better unless a vendor I trusted pointed out a lower rated eyeclean diamond.
Which is exackly what happened with the 2 mentioned that bought I1's"

Actually, it isn't.
1.gif
Not in my case, anyway. I found that diamond by doing a standard Pricescope search, and emailed DCD about it. I was not specifically seeking an I1 stone. It simply piqued my interest, because of the colour, because of the size, because of the depth/table measurements (within ideal tolerances) and because it was graded by AGS. Once DCD emailed me the cert (from which I received the relevant angles) and gave me the thumbs up on the overall appearance of the stone, I knew it was going to be a winner.
1.gif

Bottom line - there are nice I1's out there, and I will repeat this until doomsday, or until Mara and Al release me from the stifling confines of their group hug.
9.gif

PS - did you know that Al is the lead singer for the Donnas? And they do a kickass cover of "Living After Midnight". Just some random trivia.
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Johan....that's great information, but kindly don't muddy the waters by bringing to bear an fantastic point.....why dilute the waters!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HeHe ALJ

While the Sheilas want to Rev it up, the Aussie fart wants to talk technical

Johan

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
canadiangrrl
ok......
With all the convulsions this thread went thru maybe I miss read but anyway,,,,

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
No worries Storm. *passes Storm the now-useless Xanax, pours Al another stiff martian*

Should also mention one other salient feature of my stone that initially caught my eye - its price.
1.gif
I1's are markedly cheaper - clarity costs.
1.gif
If you find one that is indistinguishable from an IF when mounted, it's a screamin' deal.
1.gif
Eyeclean is eyeclean - don't pay for what you can't see....

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/9/2004 7:05:53 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

No worries Storm. *passes Storm the now-useless Xanax, pours Al another stiff martian*

----------------
A stiff MARTIAN?!!?!?!? Well...........that would certainly be an interesting twist~! SIGN ME UP!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Some people like vodka martians, some people like martians with a twist, some people like their martians very dry...I just like my martians stiff. The stiffer the better.

12.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
On 1/9/2004 4:34:46 PM Mara wrote:

The only way diamonds are dangerous are if you stab yourself with the culet. Hee Hee.
2.gif
Or acutally a marquis can put an eye out!
1.gif
----------------[/quote]

A marquise can also be very dangerous to your sweater if you try to put your arm through the sleeve quickly while wearing the ring.
2.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 4:48:43 PM Patty wrote:

dimaond dazed, I'm LOLing visualizing your hubby doubling over when you tell him you're flawless. I always tell my hubby that it's amazing that he found the only perfect woman in the world to marry! (Sometimes he agrees with me but then I know his motives are suspect.)

----------------

LOL -- can't imagine what those suspect motives would be.
2.gif
My FI only uses "perfect" with a disclaimer or qualification, as in "not perfect, but perfect for me."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results