shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth it to downgrade size in order to get ACAs? Thoughts appreciated.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does the diameter of each of your 1.50 diamonds compare to the diameter of a 1.00 carat? That might account for the lack of size difference you are expecting. The 1.50 stones could be deep and therefore not face up as large as say an ACA 1.50.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
How does the diameter of each of your 1.50 diamonds compare to the diameter of a 1.00 carat? That might account for the lack of size difference you are expecting. The 1.50 stones could be deep and therefore not face up as large as say an ACA 1.50.

The 1 ct were about 6.5 but uncerted so idk exactly and these are 7.26x 7.32.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1 ct were about 6.5 but uncerted so idk exactly and these are 7.26x 7.32.

@Mreader - WF has two 1.51 stones that measure 7.37 x 7.40 and 7.38 x 7.42. That makes your 1.50 about 10 points smaller in diameter so that can account for a bit of size difference. If you could go up to say 1.13 in ACA, the size difference would be about .58 from your current diamonds. Not sure if that is doable for you but it could cut down on the face up size difference between new and what you have now. Just a thought - the diameter of a diamond makes a difference.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you see when you look at your current studs? Do you see any parts that don't light up? My GIA 3x bothered me because I saw parts that didn't light up at certain angles, and it looked less b right in certain lighting environments. I kept wondering if I could find a diamond that did light up pretty much at every angle and in every lighting environment. The ACA did that for me. If your diamonds don't bother you, or you don't notice anything, then why make a change? If you're fine with them, then you're done. My GIA 3x did actually bother me, regardless of whether super ideal cuts were out there.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
What do you see when you look at your current studs? Do you see any parts that don't light up? My GIA 3x bothered me because I saw parts that didn't light up at certain angles, and it looked less b right in certain lighting environments. I kept wondering if I could find a diamond that did light up pretty much at every angle and in every lighting environment. The ACA did that for me. If your diamonds don't bother you, or you don't notice anything, then why make a change? If you're fine with them, then you're done. My GIA 3x did actually bother me, regardless of whether super ideal cuts were out there.

There is nothing that inherently bothers me about my current ones, but after reading about ACAs and how they knock your socks off; how an ordinary person can see the difference, it's hard not to want to make a change.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing that inherently bothers me about my current ones, but after reading about ACAs and how they knock your socks off; how an ordinary person can see the difference, it's hard not to want to make a change.

Yeah. I totally get that.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yeah. I totally get that.

What I want to do, but my husband would have a coronary, is order the 3 ctw Ks just to look at them compared to my current ones. But then if I fall in love I’m in trouble…

And just another note about cleaning. This is slightly ridiculous but many times after I put my earrings on I just use my ultrasonic toothbrush on them while they are still in my ears LOL. It quickly dusts off some grime!

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock

Fwiw, they are on your ears. Which is good because you can't see them. I personally would not, not for the price or size difference.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If me:
I wouldn’t do anything until I could make a trip to WF for a leisurely viewing of my studs next to an ACA, and then from their other lines. Expert and premium selection?
Then decide for yourself if you can see the difference and you’ll know if it matters enough to you, to go down in size for good or go the trade up route. Or it just doesn’t matter to you and you are mind clean in keeping and loving the current ones.
I mean, I could be wrong (shudder!) but I swear there’s posters here who appreciate them but don’t have their socks knocked off enough to buy. I imagine it also depends on how nice/bad the cut is on the diamonds they are looking to upgrade from - might also be taken into consideration socks knocked off status?

You don’t know until you know.
“I” wouldn’t sell what I already had before I knew.
Then you can make the decision to pursue branded or do the internet crawl search for a near ideal?

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher excellent advice. I would definitely love to see my stones next to the ACAs :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
You live in the area?? I’ve never met a PSers irl - I’d be delighted :)

Are you here in this area too? Or would you be traveling in from someplace else?

We could even put together a Houston GTG with others in the area.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Are you here in this area too? Or would you be traveling in from someplace else?

We could even put together a Houston GTG with others in the area.

I bounce back and forth between Nashville and a border town in south TX. I’ll be in TX the first week of August until Thanksgiving :). Then back to Nashville then to TX again in Jan. A GTG would be A-mazing (if Delta doesn’t kick everyone’s a$$ :( )

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I bounce back and forth between Nashville and a border town in south TX. I’ll be in TX the first week of August until Thanksgiving :). Then back to Nashville then to TX again in Jan. A GTG would be A-mazing (if Delta doesn’t kick everyone’s a$$ :( )

I know, I'm worried about Delta too (and whatever variant comes next.)

Well, maybe we could plan a Houston GTG in the fall when the weather cools and we can all eat dinner outside.

In any case, if you decide to come down to see WF and you feel comfortable meeting up, ping me. If nothing else, I can give you some ideas for other fun jewelry places to visit. :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I know, I'm worried about Delta too (and whatever variant comes next.)

Well, maybe we could plan a Houston GTG in the fall when the weather cools and we can all eat dinner outside.

In any case, if you decide to come down to see WF and you feel comfortable meeting up, ping me. If nothing else, I can give you some ideas for other fun jewelry places to visit. :)

That sounds so fun! Would love it!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I definitely wouldn't for studs. From your reports, your stones are reasonably cut and this wouldn't be worth it. There are easier ways to satisfy the curiosity of seeing a super ideal.

Try finding a hearts on fire vendor and comparing your diamonds to those in a variety of lighting conditions, then take it from there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with those who said until you see them in person and compare side by side you cannot know for sure. There is no absolute right or wrong here. It comes down to personal preference and what works best for you.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I would say go for the ACAs, even if you have to go down in size. Simply because you would have the upgrade ability from there, and you could look at it as a long-term project.

However, if it’s important to you to arrive at your final stud destination immediately, that approach may not work.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I definitely wouldn't for studs. From your reports, your stones are reasonably cut and this wouldn't be worth it. There are easier ways to satisfy the curiosity of seeing a super ideal.

Try finding a hearts on fire vendor and comparing your diamonds to those in a variety of lighting conditions, then take it from there.

Thank you. It’s crazy to me that there are no vendors that carry these types of stones in Nashville. At least from my research they don’t. So let’s hope for a trip to Houston in the fall…

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have looked at that chart repeatedly and I guess my brain doesn't work mathematically because I still cannot figure out if my current stones meet the parameters. Also his chart seems to say that earrings should have LESS fire? I think? And when I try to read my numbers it seems some fall within the earring category and others within the ring...maybe someone could look at my numbers and help me interpret. I would love that! I will say that are 2 something on HCA and everyone says below 2 is best.

Had a hard time reading the reports and when I went to GIA report check, it said unavailable. Best I can tell one is 61 table, 61.2 depth, 35/40.8 and 75 LGF. The other is 57 table with 35.5/40.8 and 80 LGF. Unclear on depth, I believe 62.8 but could be wrong as it’s blurry.

Those values aren’t falling on Garry’s chart for various reasons. The first is more similar to a 60/60 style but without the typical shallow crown and steep pavilion his chart shows. The second stone has a smaller table and but normally you’d want a shallower pavilion with a 35.5 crown (more like 40.6, or 40.5 per his chart although GIA only reports to nearest 0.2 degrees so more like a 40.6 with 42.5 depth). Alternatively a 34.5 crown pairs nicely with a 40.8 pavilion and maybe even a 35 crown if cut tight.

IMO, take that chart with a grain of salt. Far left (recommended for earrings) have you chasing 31-34 crowns and 41.2+ pavilions. None of your super ideal vendors are going to cut to those proportions. I wouldn’t recommend anything over 41 pavilion personally. That said, if you went by the recommended values the chart is trying to say further left you will get more white light return and further right is more rainbow light return. Tolk cuts (similar to super ideal proportions) are green and sits balanced.

While I don’t love that chart, it is trying to say as you change the proportions the personality or performance of the stone changes and those personalities may be better suited for certain environments (earring, pendant, e-ring, etc). But that’s a broad statement too as GIA gross rounding, precision of cut and other minor facets come into play and may have an effect.

What I want to do, but my husband would have a coronary, is order the 3 ctw Ks just to look at them compared to my current ones. But then if I fall in love I’m in trouble…

I actually think ordering the larger K and smaller I ACA’s (one of each, lol, not both of each) to compare against your existing stones is a great idea. It will let you compare color, size and performance and might provide the confidence you need to make a decision.

If you determine you like the cut much better but not the size difference then maybe a 3rd option exists. Have you considered talking with BGD and having Brian recut your existing stones to AGS000 H&A’s? It may be the cheaper solution although there is some risk anytime you recut.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@sledge here is the zoomed version of the 57% table. I noticed that one of the reports was findable and one was unavailable.

And I never thought about a recut. Hmmmmm. Interesting.
781039F4-2C38-45C2-A196-B1A37803DD7E.jpeg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a tough call and definitely a personal preference. I have small earlobes and like 5mm studs on my ear. I had some very nice studs and then bought ACA of the same size. I could easily see the difference in the mirror. I didn’t think my other studs were bad but side by side yes I could see a difference. I use a small microfiber cloth to put on my studs so they are clean when I put them on. I have some ACA drop earrings too and am very happy with their performance. You can’t see earrings on me but I do not regret buying ACA for my earrings I guess because its a mind thing. Good luck with your decision.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
If having/wearing studs is your HG jewelry and a must-have, perhaps, it is worth going with ACA, lower in size and/or color and gradually upgrade when budget allows, until you have your HG 3ctw (whatever color you want).

You can also order the Ks studs and compare them to the ones you have now. While I feel like visiting WF is a good idea for you to see and compare diamonds, taking advantage of 30-day return WF policy and having those 30 days to compare ACAs to your studs in any lightning might be tempting as well. It would be more tempting to me, to compare stones in the comfort of my own home rather than the store for a couple of hours.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
If having/wearing studs is your HG jewelry and a must-have, perhaps, it is worth going with ACA, lower in size and/or color and gradually upgrade when budget allows, until you have your HG 3ctw (whatever color you want).

You can also order the Ks studs and compare them to the ones you have now. While I feel like visiting WF is a good idea for you to see and compare diamonds, taking advantage of 30-day return WF policy and having those 30 days to compare ACAs to your studs in any lightning might be tempting as well. It would be more tempting to me, to compare stones in the comfort of my own home rather than the store for a couple of hours.

This is a good point; it’s just a bit hard (for me anyway) to put so much $$ up front mainly just to look at something, even if you can return. And then if I really am crazy for the higher performance- it’s in my house! And I will have to send back until I sell my others. In a physical store it really is “just looking”. But it’s a total mind thing bc yes it would be better to see under normal lighting circumstances.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I LOVE your clusters; I have seen those before on other threads. I do love a good cluster and halo, but I just love the classic look of simple studs :) I also am fortunate enough to have some amazing earrings that are yellow diamonds w halos:

IMG_2635.jpg

These are gorgeous on you!!!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I have GIA 3x studs (one is 34.5/40.8 the other is 35/40.8 ). I also have a stone that was recut by Brian Gavin and qualified as one of their "Hearts and Arrows" cuts. They are almost the same size. I honestly can not really tell the difference in performance (and I would say I have a fairly discerning eye, but there are definitely people on here who are more so).

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then if I really am crazy for the higher performance- it’s in my house!

I like Sledge’s suggestion of ordering the K and I ACAs to compare with your studs, that way they are in your house but mismatched so you won’t keep them no matter how much you might love them.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Update - I decided to order one of the Ks to have a looksie. I just have to know, and I have no patience... :lol: .

Just dropping in to say I can't wait to see the pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results