shape
carat
color
clarity

working weekends...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
its usually a bad sign when my work week starts on sunday and ends on saturday. is anyone else sharing the same fate as me this weekend?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
greg is working on a project this weekend as well, but at least he''s been doing it from home...so it''s not quite SO bad. but yes, working on the weekends is a drag! but i guess ya gotta afford those diamonds somehow.
9.gif

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
you make a very good point! however i should probably renegotiate my sal. .001974ct /hour seems a little low to me!

35.gif

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
I''m so happy I''m not the only one suffering. I have been working seven days a week since February 8 with insanely long hours. I did feel better when I got a massive paycheck, but I would prefer to have a life. Good luck!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
It''s even harder after not working for several months. I went back to work Monday after recuperating from an injury on another job and was met with 13 hour days Monday through Saturday. Talk about a shock to my system. My poor arm that I hardly use is throbbing and aching. On top of all that, I think I now have the begining of the flu.
7.gif

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 6:21:51 PM
Author: moon river
It''s even harder after not working for several months. I went back to work Monday after recuperating from an injury on another job and was met with 13 hour days Monday through Saturday. Talk about a shock to my system. My poor arm that I hardly use is throbbing and aching. On top of all that, I think I now have the begining of the flu.
7.gif

Tell me about it moon river! I wasn''t working for about three months and was not ready to go back!

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
yes.. a life would be good to have! ive had a very busy ''06 so far since the industry has kicked up. (architecure)

i found out later in the day it was good that i wasnt actually in the office saturday working. there was NO HEAT! brrrr. now that would just not be fair!

i hope that everyone is at home relaxing now!
35.gif

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 8:17:45 PM
Author: lost on 5th
yes.. a life would be good to have! ive had a very busy ''06 so far since the industry has kicked up. (architecure)

i found out later in the day it was good that i wasnt actually in the office saturday working. there was NO HEAT! brrrr. now that would just not be fair!

i hope that everyone is at home relaxing now!
35.gif

I''m still here booooo hoo

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 8:28:51 PM
Author: kittykat

go home
1.gif
if anyone asks you can say i told you that you could go!
41.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Don''t most adults (minus teachers and the like) work on weekends?
33.gif
I dont know very many people who work less then 90 hours a week (4-7 Mon- Sat) and most of them do work on Sundays from home.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only know two people who work regularly on weekends...I think it depends on the nature of the job or industry, one is on-call a few times a month on weekends and the other is a single workaholic. If I work a few hours on the weekend, it's if I want to do something now, rather than waiting til the week..

Oh and almost everyone I know, even in the tech industry, typically only works about 40-50 hours a week.

ETA: Did you mean 4am to 7pm? That's ridiculous!!! WHO do you know?!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 10:25:10 PM
Author: Matatora
Don't most adults (minus teachers and the like) work on weekends?
33.gif
I dont know very many people who work less then 90 hours a week (4-7 Mon- Sat) and most of them do work on Sundays from home.

Most people you know work 90 hours a week from 4 am to 7 pm 6 days a week??? What the heck are they doing? I know plenty of very disciplined, high achieving folks and none of them routinely have those kinds of hours
33.gif
. I feel sorry for them!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband travels a lot. He just got back from FLA and drove over 4100 miles. He has a ton of clients on the east coast and the west cost of FLA. He spent most of the day today in his office working. But most of the time he gets to have the weekends off. It depends what is going on and who needs to meet with him. He is in the money management business and when a big client needs to meet with him it doesn''t matter to him when it is. He is always accomodating. A little fustrating to us but I totally understand where he is coming from. Good thing is that he just moved his company close to home. That helps a lot. I''m just glad to have him home now. He was gone for 10 days.

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 8:37:57 PM
Author: lost on 5th
Date: 2/26/2006 8:28:51 PM

Author: kittykat

go home
1.gif
if anyone asks you can say i told you that you could go!
41.gif

...I''m still here. I will be here at least another two hours. We are trying to have a screening on Tuesday...why me?

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
working weekends happens on occasions, but not a lot for me (tho i wouldnt say thats the norm for architecture/design). its the nature of the industry. if we are developing ideas for more than 50 or 60 hours a week, then we get burnt out very quickly and the creativity, innovation, and accuracy falls off. also since a lot of inspiration comes from external sources, we need time to recharge and recover.

a typical week for me is 8 - 9am til 6pm...5 days a week. (45 to 50 hours)

non typical pushed the 5 day total to ~60 hours (usually bring work home for evening or weekend if needed)

occasional occurance has me in office on weekend 60+ hrs

very rarely is the all night push. 24+/- hours in one sitting, but thats at most twice a year and usually means we need more staff.
32.gif

how about everyone else... what makes up your day?

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
I feel you pain as well! I went from having no jobs to 3! When I first moved here, I found a job for a few saturdays a month and a few sundays a month, and I signed up for these weekends months in advance in case I wasnt able to find a M-F job. But alas, I found a full time job, but am still obligated to fulfill my weekend shifts. So I have been working 6-7 days a week since January, and probably will do so until May, then prob will cut the down. I get worn out and burned out, but then I forget about it when I get a nice paycheck so then I am tempted to still work more.

I guess its ok now that its just me, DH and the dog, but once I get pregnant and have a family, the stress would kill me and I would want to be with them more.

Typical week for me is:
Sunday 12-5
Monday, Tue and Fri 9-5
Wed and Thu 10-6
Saturday usually 9-3

Plus I have a 45 minute commute each way (which stinks! Gotta love Northern Virginia)

Must.get.more.sleep.

Ok must get back to work! Hang in there!
5.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Should have - didn''t - paying for it now.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! I feel your pain! I teach 8th grade English Monday through Friday (obviously...LOL) and I lease apartments Saturdays and Sundays! I only get about 1 day off a week (school breaks, etc.). It is very tiresome and I feel like I never get to be OUTSIDE....I can''t wait until my bills are caught up and I can quit my piddly weekend job!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any weekends off unless, I specially request it. I work as a Finance Manager for a car dealership and unfortunately the weekends is the busiest time for us. Our clients dictate the hours we are open, i.e. we close at 8pm, but if we have a customer in here at 8, we cannot leave. We''ll have to stay and try to make the deal, which in some cases can take an extremely long time. The latest I got out of work was at midnight.

I do get two weekdays off a week though. So my work week is 5 days, but it sucks to never have weekends off!
38.gif
Especially when your friends plan to do something over the weekend.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
AAACCCKKK 13 1/2 hours yesterday(only 11 1/2 today) no time to Price Scope
32.gif
Came home and went to bed.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 11:30:06 PM
Author: Demelza

Don''t most adults (minus teachers and the like) work on weekends?
33.gif

Most people you know work 90 hours a week from 4 am to 7 pm 6 days a week??? What the heck are they doing? I know plenty of very disciplined, high achieving folks and none of them routinely have those kinds of hours
33.gif
. I feel sorry for them!
They are DR''s, I worked with my Daddy one summer...and was thrilled to go back to school in the fall.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
What's a DR? Many of my college friends went into investment banking - great money terrible hours - glad it wasn't me! I started in a consulting firm - good money, also pretty lousy hours - and made a career switch after a year that brought me more job satisfaction and quality of life although less $. It was a good move for me!

ETA Duh, DR= doctor. You'd think I would have thought of that since I am married to a resident. My first thought, being on Pricescope, was Diamond something!!

Date: 2/28/2006 7:39:15 PM

Date: 2/26/2006 11:30:06 PM
Author: Demelza

Don't most adults (minus teachers and the like) work on weekends?
33.gif

33.gif
. I feel sorry for them!
They are DR's, I worked with my Daddy one summer...and was thrilled to go back to school in the fall.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I work a 2nd job on the weekends teaching seminars as I try to get my business off the ground...it''s like supplemental income...I enjoy it, but it would be nice to get my weekends back......someday!
34.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worked weekends from the age of 16-27. I was in retail all of that time, which I don''t think has been mentioned yet. When I met my now-husband I was 24 and we had a long-distance thing going for about 4 months, which turned into me moving to where he was so he at least didn''t have to come visit me three hours away to spend the whole weekend on my couch watching t.v. while I worked! Although I gained a B.S. in fashion merchandising and was well on the way to a very profitable retail career when I met him, I took a chance and moved to Chicago to be with him and spend more quality time with him. I also got a great job (a vertical move as well as higher income) when I moved up here.

However, we thought my schedule as an assistant store manager of a big box store would not only bring in more income, but give us more time together because I was living in the same apartment as he was. Not so! I had way more income, and we afforded a fabulous apartment, but we also never saw each other because he traveled and I worked every holiday, as well as almost every weekend! I had to fight with my boss over taking vacation time off to get married, even though my boss was invited to, and attended our wedding! I don''t know if it was just the company I was with, or my boss, but I finally decided shortly after we were married and my dad was diagnosed with cancer and had to have serious surgery, that I should quit my retail work and look for something 8-5, M-F, especially if we ever chose to have children. Just me.

I did end up quitting my retail career (which is something I have a four year degree in, and can ALWAYS go back to,) and finding through a temp agency an 8-5, M-F position at about the same pay but way better insurance about five blocks from our house! I have about a ten minute walk to work, or a 1.5 minute drive. Yes, I have sacrificed managerial status, but I could care less. I''m home for lunch everyday, home to take care of my husband''s needs when he comes home, and home on weekends to spend quality time with him. It has been a marriage saver.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results