shape
carat
color
clarity

Woo hoo!!! Just won a spess off of ebay!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Gemstone: "Mandarin" Spessartite Garnet

Carat Weight: 5.25Ct

Dimensions: 9.20 x 8.59 x 7.20mm

Cut: Antique Cushion Cut

Color: Rich Mandarin Orange

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The ebay seller, gem_earth, said they would send it to me certified, and they had great feedback. Hopefully it''s ok?

Any suggestions on how I should set this based on the dimensions and cut? This is a first for me, and I am nervous about picking something that won''t fit or look right.

I really like LOTGR settings, (like the micropave surround)! Everything y''all have shown on the forums has been stunning.

One concern though, I have extremely sensitive skin and am unsure if I will have a reaction to white gold? Does anyone have advice on this? I absolutely can''t do nickel and have to buy jewelry that is 925 or 950 sterling or a minimum of 14kt gold. I have no experience with white gold whatsoever, but have heard that it can potentially be irritating to those with sensitive skin. Thoughts on this?

Attached is a spess ring I really admire from Jill Underhill of Color Symphony. Hoping to find a similar setting to this, or an octogon setting.

Help me, please!

1.gif

603ssr-5.jpg

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Another view of the gorgeous Color Symphony ring. 2.76 cts set in white gold with micropave diamonds.

1.gif

http://www.simplysapphires.com/images/imagesjewelry2006/603ssr-6.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your win!! How exciting, please post pics when you get it!! I love mandarin garnets, and an antique cushion cut sounds so drool worthy for that stone!!

Much white gold contains nickel as an alloy. It''s much cheaper to use nickel than other more expensive white metals. Some yellow gold does not contain nickel, but you probably need to check. The only other thing I could advise is palladium (a less expensive alternative to platinum). I would just make sure that the palladium alloy doesn''t contain nickel. Platinum also contains nickel as part of the alloy unless you''re lucky to find a platinum/irridum mixture. Platinum is so expensive though.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. Maybe it isn''t nickel? Just seems like when I get nickel free sterling, or nickel free earring posts, I don''t get a reaction. The reaction is typically inflamed skin, itchy or sore, and I get really tiny blister looking things if it''s a piece that really bothers me (like with costume jewelry).

I''ve never had to check my 14 kt. gold pieces, and they seem to work well with me, and I bet some of them have nickel in it.

Is palladium expensive or just hard to find? Wonder if I should go the white gold route?

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The reaction to white gold is due to nickle used in many white gold alloys. A common tactic is to make a ring out of nickle white gold (which doesn''t have the greatest white gold color) and then plate it with rhodium to brighten the white and reduce irritation....but like all platings it wears off. There are white gold alloys sold that are nickle free and contain palladium instead - I highly recommend going with palladium! The cost is a little higher but not outlandish, and you will get a far nicer and more durable product. If the jeweler is actually fabricating or casting the setting for you, they will know what alloy they are using. If they are just selling you a manufactured setting, you may need to do some digging to find out what alloy was used.

Hope that helps!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Rhodium plating is certanly the best if you''re not having the ring made, but your stone sounds like one that deserves a custom setting (at 5+ carats I believe it wasn''t exactly cheap).

In case you choose to have it made, you can pick any metal that you can afford (gold, palladium, platinum) and specify you want a nickel-free alloy. As to the design, I believe the best first step is to look at the shape and proportions of your hand and fingers. Lenght of fingers plays a big role, cause if you have longer fingers, you have "more space to fill" and can opt for a wider ring. But if your fingers are also thin, you''ll want something that''s not bulky or chunky (which might be difficult to do with a 5+ carat stone
9.gif
). If your fingers are short and/or wide, you can choose the design where shank narrows towards the back, so that the whole ring looks narrower than it really is. With a 9 mm center stone you won''t have much space to work with around it, and I wouldn''t want lots of things going on around it in the first place, cause the stone is substantial and (sounds like) vibrantly colored.

Other than that, I don''t know what else to suggest.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
I love the color of that stone. Looking forward to seeing you post pictures of it once you get it
9.gif
I just bought a Mandarin Garnet on eBay yesterday too, from a different seller. It''s oval and I want to get a setting for it from LOTG or another comparable seller,if the stone is a nice as it looks in the pictures.

This last year I have developed an allergy to something in yellow gold...and I had been wearing my yellow gold wedding set for over 25 years! I can no longer wear any of my yellow gold jewelry, but noticed I didn''t have a problem with my only white gold ring I owned at the time(which is rhodium plated). We decided to try 18k wg that is also rhodium plated, and I had my solitaire reset a couple months ago. So far, so good, no more blistering or black fingers. If I start having problems I guess we will try Palladium next. Platinum would be ideal, but would require robbing a bank or two first LOL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully palladium has nickel free alloys. I have some platinum rings, and I always specify that I get irridium as the alloy metal. you might be able to do that as well with palladium. Irridium is the hardest metal on earth (it''s the "diamond" of metals), and it''s a great alloy, but more expensive. If you do get platinum, refuse alloys with nickel. That''s a cheap metal, and they usually charge the same price for a platinum ring whether it''s nickel or irridium. Irridium is much more expensive - so make sure you get the best.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As a side note, white gold alloys containing nickle are banned in the EU - so buying from there can be a good bet IF it is the nickle you are allergic to. Since it sounds like you don''t know exactly what metal you are sensitive too, it might be a good idea for you to buy either a tiny simple band or a pair of simple earrings in the alloy you are looking at before investing in the ring. Wear that around and see if any problems develop.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
distinction_jewelry, thank you so much. you have been super helpful. gosh, palladium would be ideal. i''m just unsure as to how to go about getting a custom setting without it costing an arm and a leg. this is a first for me! =)

i''m into thin shanks for sure- definitely want the gemstone to shine and just be enhanced by the setting, so maybe it won''t be that bad.

here''s a setting by LOTG that i am totally in love with- wonder if i could get something similar in palladium from LOTG?

http://hd65958.ourhost.cn/d/168/057c.jpg

http://hd65958.ourhost.cn/d/168/057b.jpg

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
oh wow. thank you, ma_re. i haven''t even thought about how something would look on my hands.

what is your opinion for 6.5/7 ring size and relatively shorter hands? (i''m like 5''5", so my hands aren''t super long). i am thinking i would like to wear this on my middle finger.

this is a totally new adventure for me! any advice you can lend would be so helpful.

was checking out this setting on LOTG- the style is really beautiful, imho. seems like the stone could really shine in a simple setting like this. (http://hd65958.ourhost.cn/d/168/057c.jpg)

your thoughts?

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
congrats on your gemmy! i''m excited to see what you''ll do with it. hopefully both of ours look as good as they do in the pics. i feel your worry on that one!

oh wow. so maybe rhodium coating would work? you and i sound like we have the EXACT same reactions. thank you for sharing that with me! i''m really new to the whole fine jewelry thing. hehe. there''s a lot to learn!

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
"As a side note, white gold alloys containing nickle are banned in the EU - so buying from there can be a good bet IF it is the nickle you are allergic to. Since it sounds like you don''t know exactly what metal you are sensitive too, it might be a good idea for you to buy either a tiny simple band or a pair of simple earrings in the alloy you are looking at before investing in the ring. Wear that around and see if any problems develop."

good call. i am actually getting some "mandarin" spess hearts set into stud earrings in the next few weeks. doing white gold because i can''t find palladium prong stud settings anywhere, and platinum is waaaay too expensive considering what i spent on those stones.

i figure if they don''t agree with me, i can coat the post with clear nailpolish. *blush* i''ve never had a white gold piece, so hopefully it''s ok and won''t come down to that, as it seems to be rather abrasive to the metal.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 1:24:02 AM
Author: amber_312
oh wow. thank you, ma_re. i haven''t even thought about how something would look on my hands.

what is your opinion for 6.5/7 ring size and relatively shorter hands? (i''m like 5''5'', so my hands aren''t super long). i am thinking i would like to wear this on my middle finger.

this is a totally new adventure for me! any advice you can lend would be so helpful.

was checking out this setting on LOTG- the style is really beautiful, imho. seems like the stone could really shine in a simple setting like this. (http://hd65958.ourhost.cn/d/168/057c.jpg)

your thoughts?
Yeah, people often forget about that, and it can be especially tricky if one is ordering online. In that case the famous first line upon receiving it is mostly, "but it looked so nice on the website".

First about your ideas;

1) I personally am not crazy about that setting, cause the shank is quite thin in relation to the center, so the ring might not wear nicely;
2) middle finger – good idea (it won''t overwhelm your hand since you''re quite petite);
3) halo – not sure about that, I guess you''ll have to try various things to figure out if you want additional width, which halo would provide.

And here''s where I see potential problems;

a) you''re somewhat petite, so the design shouldn''t be too large or carry too much visual weight regardless of the stones''s size;
b) stone is substantial so the design should bring as little of additional width as possible; both actual width, as well as design elements that make the illusion of it;
c) you like designs to be as simple as possible and setting to be as small as possible, but overall proportions must be balanced.

In order to resolve all this a couple of things come to mind;

1) having a wider shank, but one that narrows towards the back (to have better overall balance of design without too much visual weight);
2) covering parts of, or entire, shank with small diamonds (to make it appear as light and as airy as possible).

Oh and, think about having the actual setting for the center stone done in yellow gold. It would bring out the richness and warmth of color, which white would not. Orange stones in white metal sometimes look a bit washed out and cold.

Hope this helps
2.gif

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Ma_re, thank you dearly for your thoughtful help!! Advice taken.

I see what you''re saying about the setting I chose being potentially awkward and not wearing well. Do you think something along these lines might look better?

CushionCutSemiMount3.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 1:50:16 AM
Author: amber_312
Ma_re, thank you dearly for your thoughtful help!! Advice taken.

I see what you''re saying about the setting I chose being potentially awkward and not wearing well. Do you think something along these lines might look better?
Much better - split shank is always a good idea in these kinds of situations (bigger stone on a smallish person). There are many variations of it (some even have metal between the splits, some are split in 3 etc.), but that''s a matter of what looks nice to you when combined with your stone. You can also have it in a more modern style like with a few small diamonds set horizontally between the stone and the shank, so that they graduate the outline towards the shank. Just make sure you don''t end up with those small stones looking like one larger cause that brings the sense of weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results