shape
carat
color
clarity

Wondering If My SI Ultrasonic Is Defective??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I received my SI ultrasonic cleaner today and tried it for the first time. OMG it does an amazing job. I have one concern and a question and hope you SI owners can help me.

1) The unit is pretty loud. It makes a ticking sound every few seconds. Is this normal? I got it off Ebay and it''s a reconditioned unit.

2) I mixed 2/3 of hot water with 1/3 of windex. Is this ok? Will it be too harsh on my gold and platinum?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Mine makes that noise too
1.gif
. I use hot water, Mr. Clean, Windex, dish soap, and jet dry. There is a really great thread, I think in shopping?, on SI US. The thread is long but lots of good tips there. Enjoy you US... it gets addicting!

ETA: Here is the thread... long but worth it!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-you-use-an-ultrasonic-cleaner-to-often.34606/=

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
You only need enough detergent to make the "water" feel greasy.

Your 1/3 soap may be a little much.

Clicking noises shouldn''t be heard in an ultrasonc. I haven''t ever seen a Sharper Image one, but the classic ultrasonic does make some noise ( varies with the manufacturer and size and temp of the liquid inside ). Mine gets "softer as the water heats up in it.

Rockdoc

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
My SI ultrasonic makes clicking noises as well. Its normal for that brand...

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 10:22:17 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
My SI ultrasonic makes clicking noises as well. Its normal for that brand...

Does it have a timer? Maybe that is the culprit for the "clicking"?

Rockdoc

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah it''s normal, kind of sounds like a bug zapper doesn''t it??

avlis

Shiny_Rock
no, i think what is being called "ticking" is a high intensity burst that the SI US does.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 11:01:06 PM
Author: Kaleigh

It reminds me of my gas stove (before it lights). Drives my cats CRAZY!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 11:51:27 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Yeah I hear you. My doggies barked at it, I had to close the bathroom door when I had it on. I confess, hubby hated the noise too. So I eventually bought a heated Crest US it''s very quiet, sounds more like a dishwasher. Everyone in the Kaleigh household is happy now... But take my SI away with me when we travel. Hehe.
31.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, not defective. Mine does that clicking noise too. In fact, sometimes, it doesn''t, and THAT''S when I get worried, because that''s when it''s not working like it''s supposed to.

As to the solution mix: I use about half Windex and half hot water. It hasn''t damaged any of my jewelry (white gold and platinum), so I think you''re safe.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
The SI cleaners DO click like that - I think it''s a function of the timer in the unit, because it shuts off after a prescribed time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
another person here to say the clicking is normal. our units don''t heat up the water, so i microwave water then put it in already hot. if i over fill it or get it even too close to the max line, sometimes it sends a fine spray out onto the counter since the lid doesn''t fit on *perfectly* so i typically only do to the min fill line anyway. have fun with it, it definitely gets my ring cleaner than anything else i have tried at home!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2006 12:04:15 PM
Author: Mara
another person here to say the clicking is normal. our units don''t heat up the water, so i microwave water then put it in already hot. if i over fill it or get it even too close to the max line, sometimes it sends a fine spray out onto the counter since the lid doesn''t fit on *perfectly* so i typically only do to the min fill line anyway. have fun with it, it definitely gets my ring cleaner than anything else i have tried at home!!
Interesting Mara

Every true ultrasonic I''ve seen heats up. The ones with heaters do it faster, but after leaving most ultrasonics on for about 15-20 minutes generally heats up the solution.

I haven''t seen the Sharper Image one, so I don''t know if it is a true ultrasonic or not. I do know that the cheap ones I''ve seen I''d call "vibrasonics", as the construction is basically done by mounting a motor "off balance" which results in just shaking rather than producing the waves that the typical ones do.

Over the years I''ve had various ones. Some with heat, some without, and even one with digital temp options on it that had both a heater and a timer setup on it.

Even tried out one of the ionic cleaners, and was totally disappointed with the results, and I returned it. ( i hate to return things unless they are "horrid".

Rockdoc

Rockdoc

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I have a SI ultrasonic and I believe it does heat up the water somewhat. Perhaps not as much as some but it warms it up during the cleaning process. I usually put warm water in with windex and at the end of the cleaning cycle when i go to take my ring out, the water is hotter then than it was when I first put in the water which should have been cold by then if it was just sitting out on a counter.

oh and the ticking sound is normal-- i have it too.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
my SI ultrasonic cleaner makes the same clicking noise. i usually use a small dab of joy dishwashing detergent, and about 5-6 sprays of mr. clean cleaning solution. heat up the water for 30 secs and pop the rings in the machine. they come out sparkling like crazy.
30.gif

sometimes i have to clean my relatives'' diamond rings which are grossly dirty.
38.gif
they never clean it, so i use my sparkle sparkle cleaner first, do a little scrubbing and then run them in my ultrasonic twice on the high setting. i remember cleaning my aunt''s rings and when i was done,
10.gif
she thought they were NEW rings!
9.gif
hee, needless to say she fell in love with her rings all over again. that''s always a pleasure to see.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. I can now use my SI cleaner in peace. I love the results, I put my diamond studs which I have had for almost a year, and they came out blinking like crazy. They also looked like they have grown by 10 points each. Way bigger than what I can remember. The SI is worth every penny.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 11:51:27 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Exactly!!! You took the words right out of my mouth.
1.gif

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I got this cleaner for Christmas. It''s a good thing it works so well or I''d take it back -- that clicking noise is driving me crazy!!!! It''d be the absolute perfect cleaner if it weren''t for that noise!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I would like to get one with no loud noise and works just as effectively as SI. Which brand would you suggest? Idealy I would love one that''s relatively small in size and less expensive than SI brand.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 9:50:55 PM
Author: zhuzhu
I would like to get one with no loud noise and works just as effectively as SI. Which brand would you suggest? Idealy I would love one that''s relatively small in size and less expensive than SI brand.
I ordered this one and can let you know how it works.

https://products.gemappraisers.com/pc-25-1-the-ultrasonic.aspx

I had the SI US, and was never impressed with it. Maybe I had a defective one....I bought a brand new one, had it less than 6 months, used no more than twice a week, and it died the other day. So I decided to try something different.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 7:35:34 AM
Author: Ellen

I had the SI US, and was never impressed with it. Maybe I had a defective one....I bought a brand new one, had it less than 6 months, used no more than twice a week, and it died the other day. So I decided to try something different.

Ellen, I have been looking into purchasing that one for my sister as a gift. please do give us an update on your thoughts once you receive it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 9:00:33 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Ellen, I have been looking into purchasing that one for my sister as a gift. please do give us an update on your thoughts once you receive it.
Will do!

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 7:35:34 AM

I have this one - unfortunately it makes a loud constant buzzing sound. Also we stuck a diamond ring in it the other day and heard a little crack type sound after a minute or so (the lid was closed and it sounded like it came from within the container. The diamond has a VS2 feather near the girdle and this along with the crack caused serious panick. Everything was ok but havent used it since.
8.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
SKR, do you mean you have the Sharper Image, or the one I recently ordered?

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 1:52:29 PM
Ellen - the one you ordered (GemOro).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 1:54:09 PM
Author: SKR

Hmm, well, the SI buzzez too, so that part seems normal. Not sure what the cracking sound was/means...

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 2:05:15 PM

Date: 12/28/2006 1:54:09 PM
Author: SKR

Hmm, well, the SI buzzez too, so that part seems normal. Not sure what the cracking sound was/means...
Without opening the lid, I initially thought it had opened up the feather or something stupid like that. Of course that wasnt the case, but the panic it induced has put me off US''s in general.

dwnthehatch

Rough_Rock
I''m glad to hear this sound is normal. I just bought the floor model for a whopping $10 at the Sharper Image here in Annapolis, MD. I don''t think it was ever used since the cord is still wound up tightly. It came with everything but the cleaning solition, box or instructions. Can anyone scan the instructions for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 5:29:20 PM
Author: dwnthehatch

It came with everything but the cleaning solition, box or instructions. Can anyone scan the instructions for me? I would greatly appreciate it.
DTH, I bought a refurb unit, and mine didn''t come with any cleaner. I don''t think any of them do. What many of us have found works well for us: 2 capfuls of Mr. Clean with a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid.

They don''t really come with much instruction either, so here''s some help. Once you''ve put the cleaners above in, fill it (I usually go to between the min and max lines) with hot water. Put the jewelry in, place the lid on and turn unit on. A cycle takes about 5 minutes. Once it''s done, it will stop clicking. At that point, you can either press "repeat cycle" or turn it off.

Rinse jewelry in hot water and dry. Rinse out SI reservoir and it''s ready for next use.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results