shape
carat
color
clarity

Wire Transfer payment from Australia to Whiteflash US via TransferWise

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
I have jumped in and made my order on Whiteflash since I started looking around for diamonds about a month ago. I calculated the cost to be pretty much just the same now as local suppliers because the exchange rate has gone to crap, but decided to go ahead with it and looking at things, TransferWise seems to provide the lowest cost for me for wire transfers.

So now my problem is, I was trying to see if I can make payment via TransferWise. I've seen old post from 2018 about it but I just wanted to see if there's anyone that did it recently and how did you do the transaction? Did you use SWIFT or Local bank account option on the transfer page?

Since this is a big deal, just want to make sure I get it right.

Appreciate anyone who can help out.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
We used TransferWise recently with WF and used the local bank account option. So we inputed the routing and account number given by WF.

(We are from Canada)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
This response may not help...

I didn’t use transferwise, but OzForex. It has been some time since I used this service. I recalled entering all details- swift and local bank acct details. To be sure to be sure.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
We used TransferWise recently with WF and used the local bank account option. So we inputed the routing and account number given by WF.

(We are from Canada)

Thanks! That helps, I think its the same coming from anywhere as long as it is under international transfer. So I'll give that a try. Did you also select the WF account as a Checking account? I think that's very obvious but just want to be sure as well.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
This response may not help...

I didn’t use transferwise, but OzForex. It has been some time since I used this service. I recalled entering all details- swift and local bank acct details. To be sure to be sure.

Thanks Greg, WF told me about OzForex as well where they said most of their clients from Australia uses it. But since I got TransferWise already, I would rather use it than sign up for another service.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
That’s correct! We chose Business as the Recipient Type and Checking for the Account Type.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used transferwise (i'm an Aussie) it's pretty easy to use either way, I actually think I've used both before.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used transferwise from Switzerland.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
I did it! It's done, and now just waiting for it to go across the border. I'm excited since it's my first time experience buying something like this online. I hope there won't be any issues with my purchase.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I did it! It's done, and now just waiting for it to go across the border. I'm excited since it's my first time experience buying something like this online. I hope there won't be any issues with my purchase.

congrats! woohoo.

one thing you must remember that there will be taxes (GST) that you have to pay prior to the goods being released. it will be shipped from WF office, generally via FEDEX or similar. you get tracking code. the shipping company will call you from their US office prior to leaving USA or the AUS office would ring you as it lands in AUS. you must pay the GST before they will release it for delivery to you. if the AUD <$900 - it might be GST free.

AUS and USA have an AUSFTA (free trade agreement) so that will save you some coin. but prepare to pay about up to 17% more when it comes in to AUS, before you receive the package.

this is how i recall it to be:

The import taxes you are exempt due to AUSFTA/ but there are local handling charges which are about $150-200. There may be international charges, but i forget. They will convert the invoice into AUD, add the all the handling charges then charge GST on top of that. This works out to be a lot. BUT the stone you are getting is a far better performer than what we can generally get here in AUS. As such your stone will appear larger!!!! So, to me: you are still on a winner.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
congrats! woohoo.

one thing you must remember that there will be taxes (GST) that you have to pay prior to the goods being released. it will be shipped from WF office, generally via FEDEX or similar. you get tracking code. the shipping company will call you from their US office prior to leaving USA or the AUS office would ring you as it lands in AUS. you must pay the GST before they will release it for delivery to you. if the AUD <$900 - it might be GST free.

AUS and USA have an AUSFTA (free trade agreement) so that will save you some coin. but prepare to pay about up to 17% more when it comes in to AUS, before you receive the package.

this is how i recall it to be:

The import taxes you are exempt due to AUSFTA/ but there are local handling charges which are about $150-200. There may be international charges, but i forget. They will convert the invoice into AUD, add the all the handling charges then charge GST on top of that. This works out to be a lot. BUT the stone you are getting is a far better performer than what we can generally get here in AUS. As such your stone will appear larger!!!! So, to me: you are still on a winner.

Oh my! I wasn’t expecting all of that. I was told about the GST 10% and a minimal FedEx brokerage fee but not anything more than that.

I hope it won’t be that much.

thanks for the heads up Greg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! I wasn’t expecting all of that. I was told about the GST 10% and a minimal FedEx brokerage fee but not anything more than that.

I hope it won’t be that much.

thanks for the heads up Greg

You need to get the vendor to type up AUSTFTA (Australian Free Trade Agreement) form look up online what that is and put one copy on the outside of the package, one in the package and email one to you for Aussie customs that will save you 5% otherwise if it's over $1000AUD you pay up to $15% , plus, by time you add the fees and charges on top of that it is more like 16.5 to 17% if they do not have a copy of the correct AUSTFTA forms filled in, you can claim the extra 5% back but it is way way easier to get it taken off before you get the package than afterwards.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
You need to get the vendor to type up AUSTFTA (Australian Free Trade Agreement) form look up online what that is and put one copy on the outside of the package, one in the package and email one to you for Aussie customs that will save you 5% otherwise if it's over $1000AUD you pay up to $15% , plus, by time you add the fees and charges on top of that it is more like 16.5 to 17% if they do not have a copy of the correct AUSTFTA forms filled in, you can claim the extra 5% back but it is way way easier to get it taken off before you get the package than afterwards.

WF told me that they do take care of it and that I should have nothing to worry about. I really hope that is the case. Keeping my fingers crossed.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
WF told me that they do take care of it and that I should have nothing to worry about. I really hope that is the case. Keeping my fingers crossed.

great!!! yes, WF should be doing that for you.
I worked with BGD and Diamonds by Lauren, a few of the vendors on this site. they took care of that for me.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
UPDATE!

My diamond just arrived! And it was quite a painless experience - except for my wallet who suffered a heart attack. LOL

GST + Entry Fee was all ended up as 11.2% of the item cost. So not bad, I thought it'll be far more.

So here's an image of my stone + 2x 2mm argyle pink melee which I'll have created as an e-ring soon. Something about sourcing my own stones appeal to me. Unfortunately, most jewellers here in Australia don't accept to work on other people's stone...what's up with that anyways? Don't they have insurance that covers it anyways?

Oh well, that's another topic altogether.

0.835-D-VS2.jpg

PS. My diamond looks like my Ideal Scope's calibration Cubic Zirconia because it's so perfect, hehe...

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and love the pinks too!! Can’t wait to see it finished!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE!

Unfortunately, most jewellers here in Australia don't accept to work on other people's stone...what's up with that anyways? Don't they have insurance that covers it anyways?

Wow congrats! It looks lovely, I can't wait to see it set. I think there are a few jewellers that do set outside stones, you just got to find them. I sourced some loose diamonds recently and a jeweller in regional Victoria is setting them for me.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
wow! lovely/ stunning stones!!!!! and those pinks!!!!! wow!!!!

Where are you located? i know of a possible jeweler in Sydney....and i have just sent her an email to ask the question for you...

hopefully you are in Sydney?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, most jewellers here in Australia don't accept to work on other people's stone...what's up with that anyways? Don't they have insurance that covers it anyways?

0.835-D-VS2.jpg

Congrats! I am def going to get an ACA at some stage...
I'm not sure where in Australia you are but you'll find many benches are more than happy to set your own stone for you. I have a go-to jeweller here in Perth that sets all my online finds, and I believe Bert in Sydney happily sets owner stones, particularly as she knows many people like using heirloom stones etc. I think the jewellers that also sell diamonds from their own inventory may be less enthusiastic... Some also feel reluctant to put their name to a sub-par stone (which Whiteflash isn't...). I

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
The jeweler in sydney Joey of jenny bay is happy to set the stone for you. COnnect with her and she will sort you out.

Hi @monipod fellow perth-ite!
who do you use in perth?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hello! I thought you were in Melbourne or Sydney @gregchang35 :mrgreen2: I found Jackson & Tait in O'Connor via Instagram and they've been lovely to work with.

hehe.. i am international star, really!!!! LOLOLOL..
you are a southie/ south the river..

I am further north- joondalup way, aka south geraldton!!!

sorry to threadjack OP.. :)

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
The jeweler in sydney Joey of jenny bay is happy to set the stone for you. COnnect with her and she will sort you out.

Hi @monipod fellow perth-ite!
who do you use in perth?

Thanks @gregchang35 and yes I am from Sydney. Do you know if they have a site? or IG to make sure I find the right one.

@monipod the WF ACA is soo great. I found other local providers with online search for stones within the ACA published parameter but since I'm getting a smaller than 1ct stone, a GIA certificate doesn't provide an inclusion map which I don't like. I'm happy with ACA, I got all the details I need to make a decision.

And no worries about thread-jacking @gregchang35 and @monipod I'm happy to meet other Aussies here!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a particular style setting that you have in mind? My friend sent her diamond to Jacque Fine Jewellery to recreate the seamless double halo and it looks great.

Yay for fellow Aussies!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello from another fellow Aussie :wavey:
Your diamond from WF and the pinks look gorgeous, I can’t wait to see how set it. Good luck with the process!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Another fellow Aussie here :wavey:

Beautiful diamond, look forward to seeing it set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results