shape
carat
color
clarity

Winner Winner.... yup, got a Chicken Dinner.

pkh106

Rough_Rock
I thought I would provide a little feedback based on my experiences found here on PS. I’ve been reading this forum nearly every day now for over a month after initially deciding to “pop the question” and after doing some initial research I landed here.
I’ve found that the best postings that I learned from are those that provided experience when selecting their stones and I’m hoping to the same.

A little background; I wanted this to be a surprise. She doesn’t know about this (planning it for July when we’re in Hawaii w/ her family). Planned for $10k-$15k (I know…let’s not go there), reason? 2CTW minimum… she mentioned it before, not sure if it was a joke, but even if it wasn’t, wouldn’t it be priceless to see her face?? Plus, her social group, where we live, and among other things dictate that I’m to land around that weight.

ADVICE: Reach a little, I think it’ll go a long way and looking back, it’s just money but there’s a journey ahead that you can’t put a price on.

So doing hours (if not days) of research, I got read up on all sorts of opinions and decided to go with the RB and prioritizing size (dimension)/Carat/Clarity and then finally color. I knew there had to be compromises in order to stay within the budget and find a stunner. I’m a spreadsheet junkie, so I started building a notes spreadsheet to help review and filter numbers quickly.

ADVICE: Take good notes, advice and copy/paste links for reference later.

Finally, I got an idea of what I wanted and started building yet ANOTHER spreadsheet that was filled with detailed information on each diamond I looked at (yes! looked at). I wrote down the date I looked at it, CTW, Cut, Color, Clarity, Lab, Certification # … I’m thinking you’re getting the idea… it went for rows A through P and my last column was “notes” for my thoughts or ideas. (spoiler; I ended up with nearly 100 rows).

As for certification, I know this is a sensitive subject, I won’t dwell on it too long but I’ll probably get bashed on it anyway… I researched either GIA or EGL-USA exclusively (AGS too, but there was only 1 or 2 that were in my criteria). EGL-USA based on recent postings from that Vegas show topic.

ADVICE: You’re buying a rock, certification is nice, but should be secondary to what your see (IMHO).

Most if not all buyers are looking for the biggest BANG. I’m not any different. So filtering my choices down, I started by calculating all the HCA’s, and eliminating anything above 2.5 HCA. I sorted by dimensions, then carat, then price. I next sorted by certification, and my minimums… GIA-J in color (EGL-USA-I), GIA-SI2 (EGL-USA-SI1), and all had to be at least excellent cut. I reached out to 3 PS vendors (different experience with each) and found out everything I researched was nearly virtual inventory. Now, if you had the bank roll to shop PS vendors that had the stone in house, by all means that would be a way to slam dunk. But based on my research, I found I could save some $$ if I were to go the virtual diamond route and either go by paper, or the PS vendor calling them in.

I spent a week working with vendors trying to score a SI2/I1 that was eye-clean. No luck, all the opinions off of certifications and through the gemologists was coming in no so eye-clean (or bad light return). Plus, I saw certifications I was interested in dated 1-2 years ago, so that inferred that they’ve been floating around for some reason or another. So much for trying to save $3k. (jealous to the bunch of posters on here that were able to find one!) Here's what i was getting back:

2%2002%20J%20SI2(1).jpg
2930554_image(1).jpg
Peter%202.51%20Pic.jpg

I then found a very NICE (HCA of 1.2) 2.4CTW (!!), hearts and arrows, EX, EX, EX EGL-USA (H), SI2 that (on paper) look like a super winner. Plunked down the CC for $11k and told the vendor to pull the trigger. Well, few days later, they got back to me once they had it reviewed and recommended NOT to purchase due to it’s “milky” appearance. Little disappointed, but they’re a PS recommended vendor and that’s what you need to not get lead astray.

ADVICE: PS Vendors are really the way to go, virtual inventory can be tricky, so finding a good vendor to work with who’s responsive is a bare minimum on finding “the one”.

Back to the drawing board…. Realizing I’ll need to step up my clarity to make this somewhat mind settling. Plus, getting a little frustrated and disheartened that it’ll just take more $$ at this point. Then I remembered my 1st advice…. SO…. Here’s what I found, after stepping it up.

2.17CTW [EGL-USA I/VS2] 8.39x8.42x5.03 HCA0.8 $13.2k
2.18CTW [GIA k/SI1] 8.42x8.45x4.98 HCA1.8 $13.3k
2.24CTW [GIA k/SI1] 8.43x8.47x5.12 HCA2.3 $13.6k

Pretty close right? That’s the assumption with the color and clarity grade being 2 steps off. I did comparables with that EGL-USA to GIA-J’s and GIA-SI1’s/VS2’s and that netted a few $k higher.

…. I went with the EGL-USA…. Why? Even if it was softer, I could live with a GIA-j/k and GIA-SI1. BUT.. the main reason… what if it wasn’t off that much (or at all??)? Yah…

Fast forward, received the diamond the other day… W.O.W. I think i've carried it around with me everywhere checking it out in all lighting situations and comparing it to GOG's online videos to make sure it behaves the same!

2.17CTW, EGL-USA Ideal Plus, Hearts & Arrows. VS2, super eye clean. I can’t seen anything even with a loop. Not too bad in color, but I’m OK with that, slight tint of yellow at certain angles. Saw it through an idealscope and saw the pronounced H&A's identified on the certification. Certification dated 2 months ago in 2012. This is a keeper, I’m good with it. Faces up white, eye-clean, fair price (I believe, such a thing?), nice and shiny! I'll work on getting more pics shortly.

-2_1.jpg

Now I’m shopping for a setting…. Well, not really. Will come back later after the proposal to have her decide on the setting she would like. I’m looking for a reputable dealer to set it in a solitaire for now. I stopped by 1 well rep jeweler and one not-well repp'ed jeweler for their opinions. Without seeing the certification, they both agreed it's at least a VS2/VS1 and not the greatest of color but not yellow or badly tinted (take it with a grain of salt). The minor inclusion is a pin-head off the side of table (it's grey?) They both (at the sake of losing business) said it was a keeper and offered to buy it. Although i'm hearing that carats above 1.5ctw aren't selling well now...
I hope this helps others, love to hear some thoughts.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great write up, thanks!

Did you say 100 rows?! That's 100 different points to consider, or 100 different diamonds you looked at? Sorry, I'm a spreadsheet n00b.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you are certainly a researcher! You already know that we discourage EGL because it can be 2-5 color grades off GIA, but since you knew that and it didn't bother you, then it sounds like you found what you were after! Unless you get an independent appraisal or GIA report, you won't really know whether you paid a fair price or not. But if all she really cares about is the 2 ct+ size, I think you'll have a winner regardless!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm guessing it's over 100 stones. Columns A-P you said. Nice work finding the right stone!

pkh106

Rough_Rock
Yes, sorry for the confusion, i looked at over 100 stones using many different vendor's websites (i quickly got confused because each one searches differently). I made columns A-P, that were all the pertinent "specs" of the diamond. I made a few others that were the stock numbers of the vendors, name/number of who i was in contact with, notes on when i contacted them to look them up, etc... geek stuff.

For the excel n00b, use google drive. I made a spreadsheet on there so i can access anywhere when i had time. It also helped me figure out if i saw the diamond before (each vendor prices them differently too). Looking at 100 diamonds took a bit. It got better once i figured out my minimum tolerance.

As for the EGL-USA certification; the latest readings i've done on PS show that clarity is closer than color compared to GIA. More true with the latest EGL-USA cert's. So happy that this cert came in 2 months ago. As a reminder, color was my lowest priority.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pkh106|1340210597|3220234 said:
2.17CTW, EGL-USA Ideal Plus, Hearts & Arrows. VS2, super eye clean. I can’t seen anything even with a loop. Not too bad in color, but I’m OK with that, slight tint of yellow at certain angles. Saw it through an idealscope and saw the pronounced H&A's identified on the certification. Certification dated 2 months ago in 2012. This is a keeper, I’m good with it. Faces up white, eye-clean, fair price (I believe, such a thing?), nice and shiny! I'll work on getting more pics shortly.
FYI...you need a H&A scope to see the hearts not an ideal scope.

pkh106

Rough_Rock
YES! you're exactly right, I'm sorry about the mis-type.
The jeweler used a proper scope, it was about 6 inches high, chrome and we flipped the diamond top and bottom to view from a small eye opening at the top. Thanks for catching that :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm happy that you found a stone that you love. I'm with DS though, you will never know if you paid a fair price if you don't have it independently appraised or sent to GIA AGS for grading. You seem like a very detail oriented sort of guy so I would think that this aspect would be important to you' I would just hate to see all of your hard work, research and effort not pay off for you. Unfortunately, asserting a two grade differential between EGL and AGS isn't an accurate means of doing comps to establish if you paid a fair price. EGL may be off an average of two grade, but they are also often off by many more and sometimes even less. Someone (trade) mentioned seeing a case where they were actually more strict than GIA.....I'm sure though that they viewed hundreds and hundreds of stones to find this anomaly though.

All that said though, you sound pleased and that is the most important part. I'm sure that she will love it, and wow, 2cts! :love: Congratulations! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on good homework well done pkh!! It sounds like you have found a stone you are very satisfied with.

I definitely recommend an independent appraisal to confirm that you paid a fair price, but were you also looking for our thoughts on the stone? If so, can you post the info on the report (or just the report number), and is your intended pale-haired/skinned or does she have darker colouring?

pkh106

Rough_Rock
First, i realized i never thanked the community for teaching me about this hobby i originally knew nothing about. It's very flattering to see very accomplished and "seasoned" professionals providing feedback (in my topic, none-the-less!). I've seen numerous posting by all those listed above numerous times that extend years back and want to extend a thank you for being such a corner-stone to this PS community where beginners like myself can learn so much, so quickly and be fostered in a learning environment. Humble thank yous..

Appraisal:
- Thanks for the recommendation for getting the stone professionally verified. I thought about it, called around the the two experts in my area that are recommended by PS (cross-referenced on Yelp) and saw quotes for $200+ for a full appraisal..... Then i thought about it some more. I think i'm passing, the $200 would be better spent on a setting then "purchasing" something i can't see (no pun intended). If the appraisal came in for $50, i would say, yeah, ok, i'll put that to rest, but i'm OK with the color and in the end, that's hopefully not what she'll be focused on. For the savings alone, i'm fine not knowing... i know that's not what you guys want to hear, but i'm OK with it.

Certifications:
- i can't believe i forgot to post that. i hardly post, ever... on any forums. i usually use forums as a place of knowledge gathering that takes <2-3 days. But the sense of such constructive feedback i found on here after reading, i felt i would be able to help others struggling like i did if i posted my experiences. I also realized that PS doesn't email you when people post messages and i guess you can't PM other members? Am i missing a button?

one i purchased.
2890769.jpg

The other candidates i felt were good contenders, size vs price vs my constraints (if eye-clean & clear) - ones i listed above, from the spreadsheet. 8.4mm, 2+CTW
GIA 2126868842
GIA 2136184459

pkh106

Rough_Rock
i know posts are pretty non-interesting without a bunch of photos.
i took some quick shots, i couldn't' get to my DSLR, but hopefully these camera-phone shots will do.

to the question about skin tone, exactly like mine. that's my (male), hand in the photo.
this is natural sunlight coming in through the window, not direct sunlight, brown table is ~2-3 feet from the window where the light source.

IMG_0183_0.jpg
IMG_0181_0.jpg
IMG_0182_0.jpg
IMG_0184_2.jpg
IMG_0185_0.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think to get emails you have to subscribe to a thread? I don't know how to do that - never tried! But it's not automatic on here.

Re. the stone - I suspected a shallow pav based on obstruction and table reflection in the face-up pic and the proportions and newer pics confirm. I was asking if your intended is fair or dark because the stone is proportioned such that more facets are reflecting what is directly in front of them - the viewer's face & hair blocking direct light source - than the brightness that is slightly off to one side around the head. If she's peaches and creams the stone will reflect peaches and creams and likely won't look overly dark in-person, if she has dark hair and skin like me she will find that a large area blacks out on close-up view - you will have seen this effect in the IS.

That isn't to say it's not a good choice - it may not be one that we'd recommend, but many people buy stones we wouldn't recommend and are very happy with them, and that's what matters! But, since you posted in RT and not SMTB, I felt it worth posting and will leave it to you to decide what to do with the info, if anything .
:))

pkh106

Rough_Rock
ahhh!
haha. no chicken dinner!
crap...i do appreciate the feedback.
how'd the cut/HCA not catch that?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The standards are - well, let's be diplomatic and say poorly defined. I'm still not certain how they determine H&A - unfortunately they have not followed HRD's lead in issuing a H&A report with well-documented requirements and specifications.
HCA is a good weeding tool to help you sift through a giant inventory without having to spend eons calling in on all of them, but it can only tell you if a stone is likely worth further investigation - it's not capable of telling you that a given stone is a winner in all respects, it's not fine-tuned enough for that, it just helps you decide whether or not one is worth looking into further. An appraiser would be able to tell you everything you could want to know and more, but of course the good ones charge more!

As it turns out GIA would have caught it and lowered cut grade from EX to VG
facetwarepng.png

You can play with facetware here: https://www.gia.edu/facetware/ (you'll have to create a login). A regular poster Dreamer_D suggests using GIA + HCA as a quick and dirty - she is a wise woman ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A general rule of thumb (and easy method) is to keep the crown angle between 34-35 (which you did) and the pavilion angle 40.6-41.0 (which you did not). But Yssie gave great advice to use the GIA cut estimator and the HCA.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
pkh106|1340251000|3220818 said:
ahhh!
haha. no chicken dinner!

HCA favors shallower stones.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

pkh106

Rough_Rock
great info to chew on, i'm glad you guys are humbling me quickly. :errrr:
hmm.... let me sleep on this and get back on where i go from here.
the amount $pent i would want a stunner....stay tuned...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TitanCi|1340251991|3220826 said:
ahhh!
haha. no chicken dinner!

Titan have you seen his thread comparing shallow and "cherry" stones for earrings? I think you'd find it interesting if you haven't already run into it! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/simple-science-is-shallow-or-deep-better.44007/?hilit=shallow']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/simple-science-is-shallow-or-deep-better.44007/?hilit=shallow[/URL]
But of course that's for earrings, rings are a different game, and 40.3 is quite a bit shallower than I would want to go either way.

pkh - here's a video on head-obstruction, probably much better to explain the effect than trying to put it into words http://www.screencast.com/users/Pricescope/folders/Default/media/64f27d25-9e00-4e29-96e3-e43ebed12a60

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahhh!
haha. no chicken dinner!

Yes, especially shallower pavilions I've noticed. The second you go above 40.9 or 41 degree pav angle, the HCA really dings the stone.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1340254835|3220848 said:
ahhh!
haha. no chicken dinner!

Titan have you seen his thread comparing shallow and "cherry" stones for earrings? I think you'd find it interesting if you haven't already run into it! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/simple-science-is-shallow-or-deep-better.44007/?hilit=shallow']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/simple-science-is-shallow-or-deep-better.44007/?hilit=shallow[/URL]
But of course that's for earrings, rings are a different game, and 40.3 is quite a bit shallower than I would want to go either way.

pkh - here's a video on head-obstruction, probably much better to explain the effect than trying to put it into words http://www.screencast.com/users/Pricescope/folders/Default/media/64f27d25-9e00-4e29-96e3-e43ebed12a60

I have read that, Yssie, thank you! I've read and searched alot of articles on PS! I really do appreciate this site!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But notice from the GIA calculator that the total depth on this stone is 60.0 - that is a shallow depth. That depth coupled with the shallow pavillion angle make a huge difference.

To the poster, I applaud your efforts and study but. . . I'd be willing to go back to the drawing board to at least consider other stones.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1340251788|3220823 said:
The standards are - well, let's be diplomatic and say poorly defined. I'm still not certain how they determine H&A - unfortunately they have not followed HRD's lead in issuing a H&A report with well-documented requirements and specifications.
i think EGL use stock photos for their reports.

pkh106

Rough_Rock
well shoot, this is truly an artful balancing act!
i was so caught up on HCA and dimensions i didn't consider the other factors that in bad proportions could turn things around.
after i learned about head obstructions, i ended up staring some more for a few hours and now on board to start on over again.
spoke with the PS vendor this morning and the diamond is on it's way back.
i appreciate the feedback. i'm starting my "spreadsheet" over again as new factors arose.
has anyone come across any worth consideration? i'm wide open for suggestions now.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone wasn't horrible or anything.

But the pavilion was just a bit too shallow, and thus you get some obstruction.

Pavilions and crown angles compliment each other--so if you have a shallower pavilion, you need a steeper crown, and vice versa. Your crown angle wasn't steep, so that pav angle would have been better if it were 40.7 or 40.8.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
pkh106|1340296608|3221092 said:
well shoot, this is truly an artful balancing act!
i was so caught up on HCA and dimensions i didn't consider the other factors that in bad proportions could turn things around.
after i learned about head obstructions, i ended up staring some more for a few hours and now on board to start on over again.
spoke with the PS vendor this morning and the diamond is on it's way back.
i appreciate the feedback. i'm starting my "spreadsheet" over again as new factors arose.
has anyone come across any worth consideration? i'm wide open for suggestions now.

Kudos to you for putting your ego aside and opening yourself to the experts here. :)

What about the other 2 rejected GIA stones - what are the specs on those guys?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, you have been doing this the hard way and I am going to help you do it the easy way. I looked on the search tool here and located a stone on a virtual inventory. That means almost any vendor can call the stone in. I'd recommend that you call and ask for Yekutiel at ID Jewelry and ask him if he can call in this stone. There is a report number on the GIA report. This stone may cost a few dollars more at IDJ but Yekutiel understands the cut quality PSers want and he has an idealscope and can check out the stone. This one has excellent numbers. I want you to realize that this forum has many more lurkers than active posters, so this stone could be grabbed by someone just lurking and shopping. So if you are interested, call immediately and have Yekutiel reserve it assuming he can access it. It is a little over your budget, but I think the stone is worth it. But I'll keep looking and add others, too.

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond_detail.php?id=655084&ref=pricescope

Searching through excellent/ideal cut inventory, I-J, SI1-SI2, this is the best diamond that comes up. Every other one has a problem such as too deep, etc.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Titan - ah, I'm not surprised you've already seen it, you do seem like the sort ::)

pkh - I'm sorry :sick: it's never fun to have to go back to the drawing board! On the other hand I really applaud you for taking the criticisms of the stone in the spirit they were intended and being willing to reconsider - goodness knows we've seen any number of new buyers who are utterly determined to dig their heels in when all evidence is to the contrary - and regarding stones with far more objectionable issues than yours, too...

I'm at work but I'll poke around tonight, in the meantime check out DS' rec. You may want to start a new thread with "help find a stone <budget>" or something in the title so more people see it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I almost think he is better off continuing here since lurkers may be less likely to see the recs on this thread at this point. I know you can probably add to my list of one, but it is the only one that I see that checks all the boxes. You may be able to find some that have different angles that can work.

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
I would just get a 1.5 - 1.75. thats still a huge rock. its absurd to think you HAVE to have a 2+ carat stone.

since you are willing to skimp on color, i'm sure you could get her something amazing in a slightly smaller stone

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS on second thought, I think you are right about keeping it in this thread.

pkh I'm home and I just got DS' link open and a big ditto to getting it reserved/called in, if the budget can accommodate it!

1st GIA https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2126868842&weight=2.18
Don't like this one eitherTBH, unless maybe lgf is on the shorter side (GIA rounds to 5%). GIA averages proportions around eight sections of stone, then rounds crown to 0.5deg and pav up to 0.2deg, and prints the averaged, rounded results on the report and assigns a proportions-based cut grade, so without more info we can't assume one way or another.
Also a good chance of it not being clean to your specifications IMO - large SI w/ grade-making crystal right in the middle of the table..

2nd GIA https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2136184459&weight=2.24
This one would be worth further investigation IMO. Proportions work, grade-making wisps are near the girdle - doesn't mean it's eyeclean to your specifications though, you'd need to see it to verify, recent report.

ETA wow it really is slim pickings, definitely the right call on not starting a new thread! Couple more - request IS and professional review if interested

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Very-Good-Cut-Round-Diamond-1450771.asp
$14.4k 2.01 K VS2 GIA-VG/EX/EX MBF 55/37/40.4/80

ja1.png

Also a GIA VG, but in this one the proportions work well - one of the rare nice GIA VG proportions combos. Shallow pav is balanced by steep crown and small table - you can see that there is no excess darkness in the pic and arrow heads/shafts are well-defined. Deeper than most at 63% but faces up fine thanks to med girdle and shallow pav, *and* it has med blue fluor. But it's a K. Recent report, discounted b/c VG cut grade.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1445067.asp
$15.5k 2.21 K SI1 GIA-EX/EX/EX NoFluor 58/35.5/40.8/80

ja2.png

Also looks nice, GIA EX, but also a K. Grade-making wisp inclusions near girdle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results