shape
carat
color
clarity

Wine?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Last night a bottle of Bennett Lane, a Meritage from Napa. It was wonderful. It was the 2001 Maximus, and is a blend of 44% Cab Sauvignon, 44% Merlot, and 12% Zin. IT''s a boutique winery in Calastoga. We found the wine through a local wine shop at a Meritage tasting. It was wonderful immediately -- didn''t really need to open up much. It had a rich berry and cassis flavor, was full bodied without being so full bodied that it was what I call "chewy". I thnk it is somewhere in the $25 range, but I''m not sure on that. Wine Spectator gave it a 90. RP hasn''t rated it.

A great value chardonnay that we found recently is St. Clement. Its a medium chardonney with a nice balance -- not heavy oak and butter but enough to give it some body, and I think we paid about $10/bottle at a case price.

Noobie, if you like the higher end wines, keep your eyes our for a Penfolds wine called RWT. (It stands for Red Wine Test). The story goes they created it to try to make another Grange comparable wine. It is really yummy (for lack of a better word) -- definately worth trying.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Jenn,

I have never tried Yellow Tail so I can''t comment. In that range I have bought Penfolds Koonunga Hill and Bin 2. People tell me Jacobs Creek is OK, but I have not tried.

You may want to try Falesco Vitiano, an Italian fruit bomb. Some may find it over the top for fruit. I also like Greg Norman Cab blend for value too.

lop, where does the RWT sit in the protfolio. I''ve seen it, but haven''t paid much attention since I have a bunch of Bin 389, and 23. Is it comparable to the Bin 707 cab? It hink Grange is outrageous in price like first growth Bordeaux and anything DRC from Burgundy.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2005 12:44:47 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
my question is....which one will get me dunk the quickest?
9.gif
never been a wine drinker but i love cognac.
30.gif
one glass of champagne and it''s lights out for me.
24.gif
26.gif
37.gif

DF, without geeting into fortified wines like Port, most likely an Amarone. They let the grapes dry on straw to concentrate them. You can also get some pretty hot Zins (14.5% alc) and Aussie Shiraz.

P.S. I like a glass of XO now and then as well. Can''t afford the Louis like you can
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2005 12:16:24 PM
Author: noobie
I also like Greg Norman Cab blend for value too.

lop, where does the RWT sit in the protfolio. I''ve seen it, but haven''t paid much attention since I have a bunch of Bin 389, and 23. Is it comparable to the Bin 707 cab? It hink Grange is outrageous in price like first growth Bordeaux and anything DRC from Burgundy.
I like the Greg Norman blend also....

The RWT isn''t listed on their website, but it is a Shiraz that is positioned comparable to the 707 cab price point-wise I think. (Robert Parker lists is the prices as $70 - 75), and the ratings as 87 - 90, depending on the year. I actually thought it would be rated a little higher. It''s one of those wines that I have just really enjoyed each time we''ve had it, but I''m a big Shiraz fan... I''m with you on the outrageousness of the prices of some of the big name wines. But, I did buy DH a bottle of the Grange a couple of years ago when I gave hime the RP subscription. We haven''t opened it yet. He gets to decide when and where, but it still needs some cellaring.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
O.K. - our dinner wine:

''96 Purple Trillium - Burnette Ridge
handcrafted near Cincinatti (college hills, ohio)
25% Kreck Vineyard Cab
25% Schmidt Vineyard Cab
25% Mendicino Hill Cab
25% Kreck/Schmidt Merlot

Yes, I am the QUEEN of the obscure. I''ve had this before and it was delich. This one has been aged for 7 more years.

Good, cheap & available in your local grocer - Frexinet Negro Brut - Spainish "champagne" (not sure the spelling is correct - but it comes in a black bottle)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Please recommend some yummy white wines--but no chards, reislings or gewurtz''s thank you.

cheers--Sharon

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2005 12:16:24 PM
Author: noobie
Jenn,

I have never tried Yellow Tail so I can''t comment. In that range I have bought Penfolds Koonunga Hill and Bin 2. People tell me Jacobs Creek is OK, but I have not tried.

You may want to try Falesco Vitiano, an Italian fruit bomb. Some may find it over the top for fruit. I also like Greg Norman Cab blend for value too.

Thanks, Noobie!
1.gif
I am going out to the store tonight to find the "Italian Fruit Bomb"--sounds perfect as a summer red...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Well canuk-gal, I'm recommending a Gewurztraminer anyways! Had it last night with an Indian vegetable curry - delicious! Mill Creek Vineyards Gewurz. Subtle sweetness, nice acidity, perfect for Indian curry. I think you'd like this one, Mara.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2005 6:13:32 PM
Author: JCJD
Well canuk-gal, I''m recommending a Gewurztraminer anyways! Had it last night with an Indian vegetable curry - delicious! Mill Creek Vineyards Gewurz. Subtle sweetness, nice acidity, perfect for Indian curry. I think you''d like this one, Mara.
HI:

Thank you--I''ll take this recommendation!
emcocktl.gif
I really enjoy Rieslings the Gewtz''s--and there are many good Canadian ones (from Ontairo and BC), so I was hoping to get some name of whites outside these categories--however I really cannot drink Chards.

cheers--Sharon

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Sharon,

How about a nice Sancere from Loire region of France. Sauvignon Blanc grapes. Also try Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand (Cloudy Bay). Caymus Conundrum for more body is also yummy and different.

Regarding Riesling and Gewurtz, I''m quite familiar with Ont and BC, but they don''t hold a candle to Germany for off dry and Alsace for dry ries and gewurtz.

Jenn, the Vitiano is not light, but since you like Shiraz, you should like it. An Italian Chianti is great for summer too. My fav budget one is Nipponanza from Frescobaldi. I actually prefer it to Antinori.

Tonight''s wine for me is a 2001 Jospeh Phelps Chard, my only one in stock. I got it free for buying the Phelps Insignia. We are having salmon. I much prefer white burgundies for chard, but tend not to buy them.

Cheers

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2005 5:53:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Please recommend some yummy white wines--but no chards, reislings or gewurtz's thank you.

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon -- Not quite sure what you like from this post (are reislings and gewrutz what you want or part of what you don't want?) Anyway, if you like Sauvignon Blancs, there are many good ones. I like some of the Napa ones, like Dry Creek. The Marlborough, New Zealand ones are great if you like a sharp,tart wine. I think one of the best is Cloudy Bay, which is a little less sharp than some of the others, and really tasty. It can be somewhat hard to find, but upon each yearly release, it's everywhere, including Costco. I think Q1 is the typical release time, but that doesn't mean you can't find it other times, depending on if the people in your area have found it.

ETA: Noobie just posted while I was sitting around
2.gif
. I agree also with the Caymus Conundrum recommendation. Another interesting, one is Treana from the Central CA coast. It is a meritage white 61% Viognier and 39% Marsanne. It's little on the heavier side, but very tasty.

hmm... Noobie -- is there still time for us to join you for the Phelps chard tonight? Sounds tasty!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for the "white" suggestions--will take my new list out next time I am shopping.

Went out to dinner last night--and visited an extensive wine menu. Too bad the place was rather "dark" and I forgot my glasses (yikes to being over 40!), so I just ended up ordering the J. Lohr 7 Oaks Cab Sav and enjoyed it. However, I did manage to get a glimpse of a bottle on the way to the table next, and in partially recognizing the label it was an d" Arenberg--the Grange? Too bad I missed it on the 100 page wine menu.....

Read about another wine--Paradigm, 2001 Merlot, Napa Valley. Any comments on the same?

cheers--Sharon

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2005 1:16:03 PM
HI:

Thanks for the 'white' suggestions--will take my new list out next time I am shopping.

Went out to dinner last night--and visited an extensive wine menu. Too bad the place was rather 'dark' and I forgot my glasses (yikes to being over 40!), so I just ended up ordering the J. Lohr 7 Oaks Cab Sav and enjoyed it. However, I did manage to get a glimpse of a bottle on the way to the table next, and in partially recognizing the label it was an d' Arenberg--the Grange? Too bad I missed it on the 100 page wine menu.....

Read about another wine--Paradigm, 2001 Merlot, Napa Valley. Any comments on the same?

cheers--Sharon
I haven't had Paradigm for a couple of years (we seem to have forgotten about it), but it was a fav of ours for several years. I would bet it is still great. Robert Parket gives the 01 Oakville Estate an 87 rating and calls it early maturity, which I think means it is better to hang onto it for a couple of years, as it will get better, but is drinkable.

We haven't been drinking a lot of merlot, but one that we really like is Conn Creek.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2005 4:08:06 PM
Author: lop

Date:
I haven''t had Paradigm for a couple of years (we seem to have forgotten about it), but it was a fav of ours for several years. I would bet it is still great. Robert Parket gives the 01 Oakville Estate an 87 rating and calls it early maturity, which I think means it is better to hang onto it for a couple of years, as it will get better, but is drinkable.

We haven''t been drinking a lot of merlot, but one that we really like is Conn Creek.
HI:

I think the Paradign 2000 Cab Sav. would be a great drink now--see if I can track it down, this often being difficult. Not cheap ringing in around $80 some odd Canadian.

I am glad for this thread--helps to expand my wine repitoire. I have gotten so used to drinking the full bodied Aussy''s that I wonder if I could go back to enjoying some of the wines of my past--Beaujolais/Gamays etc--I always trusted Duboeuf for the former, but the J. Lohr Wildflower Gamay was like drinking nothing. Yet sometime I don''t always want that "mouthful" and want a softer fuity drink.

Jen--did you find that Italian fruit bomb?

slb

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2005 5:11:30 PM

Date: 6/5/2005 4:08:06 PM
Author: lop

Date:
I haven''t had Paradigm for a couple of years (we seem to have forgotten about it), but it was a fav of ours for several years. I would bet it is still great. Robert Parket gives the 01 Oakville Estate an 87 rating and calls it early maturity, which I think means it is better to hang onto it for a couple of years, as it will get better, but is drinkable.

We haven''t been drinking a lot of merlot, but one that we really like is Conn Creek.
HI:

I think the Paradign 2000 Cab Sav. would be a great drink now--see if I can track it down, this often being difficult. Not cheap ringing in around $80 some odd Canadian.

I am glad for this thread--helps to expand my wine repitoire. I have gotten so used to drinking the full bodied Aussy''s that I wonder if I could go back to enjoying some of the wines of my past--Beaujolais/Gamays etc--I always trusted Duboeuf for the former, but the J. Lohr Wildflower Gamay was like drinking nothing. Yet sometime I don''t always want that ''mouthful'' and want a softer fuity drink.

Jen--did you find that Italian fruit bomb?

slb
DH sa ys the Paradigm we liked was the 2000 Cab, not the Merlot, so I guess we have similar tastes.
9.gif
Let us know if you try and like the Merlot.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
We like Liberty School for a yummy red that doesn't cost too much $$
and another vote for Yellow Tail
18.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2005 5:13:45 PM
Author: fire&ice
O.K. - our dinner wine:

''96 Purple Trillium - Burnette Ridge

handcrafted near Cincinatti (college hills, ohio)

25% Kreck Vineyard Cab

25% Schmidt Vineyard Cab

25% Mendicino Hill Cab

25% Kreck/Schmidt Merlot

Yes, I am the QUEEN of the obscure. I''ve had this before and it was delich. This one has been aged for 7 more years.

Good, cheap & available in your local grocer - Frexinet Negro Brut - Spainish ''champagne'' (not sure the spelling is correct - but it comes in a black bottle)

Boy you are Queen of obscure! One my favs, kinda obscure is Chateau Musar from Lebanon. It''s really quite good and has a bit of a following.

Last weeks tastes were a 2001 Meursault, a 2000 Burgundy and a 2003 Vitiano. The 2003 Vit was not as good as the 2000 and 2001. It is still fruit laden but lacking a bit in complexity. But for $10, can''t expect much.

Another summertime white is Vinho Verde from Portugal.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I haven'' found the Falesco Vitiano yet but I only checked a couple of smaller, local places...I think tomorrow I will go to the giant wine warehouse out here and stock up, so I''ll look for it there.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
We tried a nice summer white yesterday. It is Nugren Chardonnay from South East Australia. It was nice and fruity, but still had a good crispness. Didn't taste like a typical oaky/buttery chardonnay at all, and was probably well priced ($12 - $15 would be my guess). A great "patio wine".

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
A nice reasonable Italian red: -2000 Nebbiolo D''alba - Brand Pio Caeser - This is not the correct spelling on either type or brand. I wrote it down - but threw away the paper I wrote it on. It''s a pretty good brand in general for reasonable bigger Italian Reds. They carry it at Total Wine in NC and I''ve bought it in VA as well.

Can''t help with whites. They just don''t do it for me. I can''t really wrap myself around them.

And, for the price range, I like (Cabs) Liberty School, J. Lohr. & Gallo makes a great cab under their label Frie Vineyard. I do love those CA Cabs.
28.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

At a party last night we had the opportunity to drink some lovely (Southern) Italian wine: Aglianico 1997, D''Angelo. Tasty, very smooth.

cheers--Sharon

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
to chime into the mix..... i just got back from a trip to sonoma (yes..traveling to shop for wine...bad sign)

anyhow, i favor the heavier reds and thought i would share my favorite tastings from the trip

for amazing cabs. silver oak

and my true favorite. zin''s... bella

keeping on the more economical side. and widely distributed.. cline both their reg. zinfandel and ancient vine zinfandel and wonderful for the price. and are fairly light compare to other lower price zin''s

hmmm.... and for summer drinking.. simi 2003 Sonoma County Chardonnay. just tried this over the weekend... was wonderful...

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
This weekend''s wine was Gloria Ferrer sparkling from Sonoma. Very nice for $15, light in style with fine bubbles. I prefer a heavier body with more toasty notes. Comparable to Roedrer Estates Anderson Valley Brut for value.

However ..... I got carded buying wine this weeked
23.gif
. I may look young, but I graduated with my first college degree in 1986! Besides, I said if I was underage, would I be buying 1997 Brunello Riserva, French Champagne and Tignanello? Pretty expensive to get drunk on $70 bottles of wine
9.gif

l on 5: glad you enjoyed your trip. Nice wines as well. Silver Oak always sells out. Justin Meyer uses American oak barrels exclusively and the style is very forward and full of oak. Although I am more of a Bordeaux (St Julien) fan, I like SO as well.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
We had a bottle of 03 Shiraz 9 from Marquis Philips last night. It was terrific. Smokier/earthier than many shirazes. Nice and full bodied -- almost chewy. Marquis Philips is a collaboration between Australian winemekers Sparky and Sarah Marquis and US importer Dan Philips. They make some good value wines, and some higher end wines, which this is one of. (And it still is only $3x /bottle). Worth trying if you see it somewhere.

Another really great wine is St. Clement Orropas. Story goes the president of Saporro Beer was visiting the winery, and loved this new wine, so they named it after him sort of (Orropas is Saporro spelled backwards
2.gif
.) It is a robust red blend or 81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, and 4% Cabernet Franc.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
OK,

This weekend''s wine was a 1997 Jasper Hill Georgia''s Paddock Shiraz from Australia. It was supposed to be a fine wine and was a tad pricey. However I did not enjoy it. It was way too hot and overcooked. A whopping 15.5 % alcohol. Finish was rather short as well. Too bad, I think the grapes were very ripe and concentrated to yield such a big wine.

Anyone looking for Orrapas will find a nice heavy stout bottle. I haven''t opened any of mine from around 95, but will report when tasted.

Any other winos out there besides lop?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Recently tried two:

1) Peter Lehmann; 2002 Barossa, Shiraz. Did not enjoy it, like the taste of tobacco (or what I recall of that!) in my mouth and almost felt like it was burning my tongue.

2) Redbank; Sunday Morning, King Valley, 2004 Pinot Gris. Very good, light fruit and smooth. Delightful for a warm summer evening.

cheers--Sharon

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Our favorite restaurant recommended Oyster Bay Sauvignon blanc and we loved it. Anyone else try it? It has the most wonderful, crisp grapefruit aroma...really lovely wine.

Still haven''t made it to the super wine store but I will soon!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2005 11:48:04 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
Noobie, at the risk of looking like a total wine newbie, what do you think of Yellow Tail from Australia?
1.gif
HI:

Along the same lines--South Eastern Australia--are the Little Penguin''s. The merlot isn''t quite as "sweet" as the TY IMHO, and they also produce a Shiraz, and Cab Sav; all in the $10-13 Ca. price range. I''m enjoying a glass right now......
emcocktl.gif

cheers--Sharon

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
OK,

Some recent updates:

1997 and 1996 Kurt Darting Riesling Kabinett and Spatlese. Both very nice and great values

2000 Didier Chateauneuf de Pape, fruity, relatively simple, nice wine

1997 Joblot Burgundy, kept a little too long I think, neede a little more fruit on the palate

A simple $7 Vino Verde from Portugal. A nice change in a summer white served very cold.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Tonight''s wine is a 1996 Il Carbonaione from Podere Poggio Scalette. Great wine. Could not get the 1995 or 1997, but this is nice none the less.

Jenn, My friends tell me Yello Tail Shiraz is an awesome wine for the price.

Happy 4th

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results