Winding up 2014....Wishing for 2015

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a good year. Bought several holy grails, and set a couple. Goal for 2015 is to set more!

Set: "Bubbles" mahenge spinel. Bought and set: Prima red Mahenge spinel. Bought: pink zircon from Chris Auletta, orange spess/ruby/violet sapphire from Gene, blue sapphire/Colombian emerald from Lisa Elser, Gene-cut tsavorite from Chris Auletta, and pad sapphire from Wink.

Please excuse the terrible lighting in the group shots. I gave up waiting for the sun to come out.

_25052.jpg

_25053.jpg

_25054.jpg

_25055.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More eye candies, thanks for sharing! :love:

Good to know Jeff D can set stones, bad news for my piggy bank! :bigsmile:

DK :))

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep forgetting which year I bought stuff in...I also bought these. Blue zircon from Roger Dery, pink sapphire pair from Gene, and grey spinel from Jeff Davies. Okay, I'll stop now.

img_6241.jpg

jd_gray_cushion_spinel.jpg

img_6242.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love:

Thanks for sharing!

DK :))

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
The blue sapphire looks amazing!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
This is the year that I discovered and fell in love with coloured stones! It all started with a couple of vintage rings my mum gave me and quickly escalated from there.

In 2014 I:
- was given 2 sweet little vintage rings set in 14ct gold - one with a tiny marquis ruby and the other with a small green stone both with diamond accents
- was given a vintage diamond and sapphire flower ring set in 18ct YG and platinum
- purchased and set a 1.55ct bicolour sapphire
- received a pair of Jeff Davies sapphires from my BF - currently being set into stud earrings
- purchased a an assortment of inexpensive learner stones from Jeff Davies and PSers via LT
- purchased a 3.85ct 8.85mm blue green tourm from Gene
- purchased a pair of blue sheen moonstone from Barry which will be set this year
- purchased a 2.71ct bright orange coral cab for my mum - she loves Coral
- purchased a 2ct rose de France also for my mum

In 2015 my priority will be to set my tourm and I will hopefully also set some of my favourite learner stones into stacker rings.

ETA: I also have a blue zircon, topaz and aquamarine and a few spinels on their way to me! :D

Here are some pics!

_25065.jpg

_25066.jpg

_25067.jpg

_25068.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
A couple more pics!

Thanks for looking!! :wavey:

_25069.jpg

_25070.jpg

_25071.jpg

_25072.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted my next project and my christmas present to be a sapphire pendant. I've had my eye on this since it was posted because I think the shape is neat and would be cool for a pendant... but I also can't figure out how to set it, which was why I kept holding off on buying it. But finally I decided I'd better buy it to look at and if I like it THEN I can think about the setting. If I like it, I'll probably also send it in to AGL? But I'm trying to remember I need to see if I LIKE it in person first. The pricing seemed kind of bizarre to me? so idk

http://www.gemrite.com/products/blue-sapphire-1-36-cts

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow great additions Ricezo and NOKTB. You both have a collection of beautiful and bright stones :love:

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
DROOLING over everyone's 2014 acquisitions! I feel like I'm in a candy shop!

Here are mine:
The only set stone is in my engagement ring (3.05ct light pink sapphire from AfricaGems)
img_7321.jpg

#1 Priority for 2015 is to replace the concave-cut amethyst in this ring. I dislike concave-cut stones (thought I would get "over" my dislike with this ring... NOT!), and it does not help that the color of this amethyst is not at all to my liking. I like lighter-toned stones, but this one is anemic. The stone chosen for this (should be a perfect fit, crossing my fingers and toes) is the following 7.92ct neon tourmaline from MCG. It's highly included, but inclusions don't bother me if they're "interesting". The stone has the most incredible glow and I think it will look great with the rose gold:

img_7620_cr.jpg
img_7626_cr.jpg

Stone for a rose gold stacker (I have another light blue sapphire for a stacker):
- small .64ct round very light pink Burmese spinel from MCG:
img_7643_cr.jpg

Bracelet in the making:
Yellow Marquise Danburite (from Chris A.) and 18.9 ctw green sapphire lot (from MCG) for a bracelet... Project on hold because I want more stones in the bracelet (hahahaha)!
img_7333.jpg

Gifts from MCG that I may make into a three stone ring... not at all a priority:
- Vietnam unheated Aquamarine Oval (2.63ct). Lots of inclusions, but I think that's what makes this stone interesting. Without the inclusions, it would be snooze-fest.
img_7651_cr.jpg

- Kenyan peridot oval pair (1.09 tcw). I'm not the greatest fan of peridots, but they work well with the aqua
img_7642_cr.jpg

Stones I have no plans for (ideas are welcome!):
- 1.82 ct untreated Zambian Emerald:
img_7619_cr.jpg

- 2.01 ct rhodolite garnet that looks great in the sun:
img_7630_cr.jpg

- .75ct pink pear from Foothill gems:
img_7660_cr.jpg

- Random 2.63ct brownish-orange Kenyan Tourmaline (really have NO clue what to do with this)
img_7633_cr.jpg

- Various lots from MCG:
(1) Nine stone blue sapphire lot (color is slightly lighter than the picture)
img_7645.jpg

(2) six Neon odd-ball Tourmaline from Cruzeiro Mine
img_7652_cr.jpg

(3)Eight pink to purple African sapphires (color is a little lighter than picture)
img_7639_cr.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More eye candies, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread. It reminds me of EW's year in review, catching stuff I may have missed the first time around.
I totally identify with those who caught the "bug" and have many stones from this year.
This has been a quiet year for me. Finally got the emerald ring I always wanted, and this year because I lost my original diamond ring replaced my "ering".

Other than buying a boulder opal and silver ring for my dd, don't think I did any jewelry shopping this year, which is good for me!

2015 or future years, would like a 5 stone or semi eternity band ring.

I would like a round or attractive cushion sapphire (ceylon blue) not sure if or when will get around that since prices have really crept up for these stones.

For fun would like to pick up a welo opal and a high quality amethyst.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
"Bracelet in the making: Yellow Marquise Danburite (from Chris A.) and 18.9 ctw green sapphire lot (from MCG) for a bracelet."

Swissmiss
You have the makings of a beautiful bracelet. What a lovely creative design as well.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
This thread is so inspirational!!! Not for my savings plan but for my jewelry box!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Distracts, lovely stone, and you are quick! What is your finger size?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1419403710|3807122 said:
Wow your ring is gorgeous! I can't believe that cost you under 100!!

Those Tripps settings are really neat - cabs are dead simple to set in them. I'm not good at setting any of the non-round faceted stones into them but for cabs and rounds you literally need no knowledge of stone-setting in order to succeed. It's a very good "I really want to set and wear this stone but don't want to spend much" option, especially since you can order them in sterling silver (this setting is silver and was just under $10).

pregcurious|1419441487|3807302 said:
Distracts, lovely stone, and you are quick! What is your finger size?

My thumb/pointer/middle fingers are all 6. Ring fingers are 4.5-5 and pinkies are size 2. In case you wanted the full rundown, lol. I don't know that it's so much me that is quick as the shipping, lol.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
distracts said:
Those Tripps settings are really neat - cabs are dead simple to set in them. I'm not good at setting any of the non-round faceted stones into them but for cabs and rounds you literally need no knowledge of stone-setting in order to succeed. It's a very good "I really want to set and wear this stone but don't want to spend much" option, especially since you can order them in sterling silver (this setting is silver and was just under $10).

Wait a second... you mean you can set cabs and rounds yourself? Do you need any specialized tools? Also, lovely ring!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere somehow I added a 5.5 ct moonstone to my Christmas shopping list. I already have a small moonstone in a stacking ring and love it! This one is surely inspired by the contagious but harmless moonstone fever. I am already contemplating how to set it.
The stone measures 13 x 9.7 mm I believe

_25569.jpg

_25570.jpg

_25571.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1419668586|3808227 said:
Somewhere somehow I added a 5.5 ct moonstone to my Christmas shopping list. I already have a small moonstone in a stacking ring and love it! This one is surely inspired by the contagious but harmless moonstone fever. I am already contemplating how to set it.

Congrats it looks beautiful!! Can't wait to see how you set it! Please post more pics when it arrives! :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I set the alarm clock to wake up early this morning so that I could snatch this pair of precision cut silver Spinels from Jeff Davies, with the intention to bezel-set them in WG as earrings, to be worn on their own or with my larger diamond earring jackets:

jd_pc_ps8110.jpg

They may end up as side stones in a ring if they do not suit as earrings, can't tell until I have them in hand.

These are definitely my last purchase for 2014, as dictated by the lack of fund in the piggy bank.

DK :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1419750888|3808621 said:
I set the alarm clock to wake up early this morning so that I could snatch this pair of precision cut silver Spinels from Jeff Davies, with the intention to bezel-set them in WG as earrings, to be worn on their own or with my larger diamond earring jackets:

jd_pc_ps8110.jpg

They may end up as side stones in a ring if they do not suit as earrings, can't tell until I have them in hand.

These are definitely my last purchase for 2014, as dictated by the lack of fund in the piggy bank.

What a beautiful pair DK. Congrats!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1419670841|3808235 said:
Acinom|1419668586|3808227 said:

Congrats it looks beautiful!! Can't wait to see how you set it! Please post more pics when it arrives! :))

Thank you Ricezo :wavey:
I am thinking about sending it to Victor. Hopefully I will receive a quote this week.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love seeing these year in review threads and catching up on the Colored Gemstone activities of some of my favorites! Here's to a prosperous 2015, CS'ers! :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1419750888|3808621 said:

jd_pc_ps8110.jpg

DK these look fabulous!! Please post lots of photos when they arrive, I'd love to see how they look IRL. I think earrings would be gorgeous especially if you can wear them with your diamond jackets! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Received my JD precision cut 6mm pink Spinel today, and the colour turns out to be more brown/orange in real life and does not "pop" at me. Therefore, I am unlikely to have it set in the flower cluster setting with an air gap that I had planned for this stone.

Here is JD's pic:
jdpinkspinelps1612.jpg

Pic I took with my mobile phone:
jdpinkspinelps1612_dkpic.jpg

Nevermind.

DK :rolleyes:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1419856103|3809039 said:
Received my JD precision cut 6mm pink Spinel today, and the colour turns out to be more brown/orange in real life and does not "pop" at me. Therefore, I am unlikely to have it set in the flower cluster setting with an air gap that I had planned for this stone.

Here is JD's pic:
jdpinkspinelps1612.jpg

Pic I took with my mobile phone:
jdpinkspinelps1612_dkpic.jpg

Nevermind.

DK :rolleyes:

Oh no... what a bummer for you DK. Will you send it back?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results